Cassiopeia

Star-Crossed
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

AN: warning: 5th grade fanfic

 

“Hey!”
    
Jeonghan stopped chopping vegetables and turned his head towards the man who called him. He found the haggard looking assistant cook walking towards him with a frown. 

 

“Be careful with the kitchen utensils!” the cook yelled over the clanking and crackling in the busy kitchen of the Prince’s mansion.

 

Jeonghan rolled his eyes and went back to his chore. He tried to handle the dishes more gently. He sighed, frustrated. Because just what is he doing there?

 

Jeonghan recalled the afternoon he went home from the unlucky meeting with the Prince. He remembered the grim expression of his father upon his arrival and the look he and his mother shared when they delivered the news. A servant of the prince has come to their house and announced his order. Jeonghan must report to the Prince’s mansion the next day as he will be a part of  his servants.
    

Their neighbors told them that it was good news and that he should be happy for he can serve the prince and atone for what he did. What exactly did he do?

 

His parents were the most worried. And his mother almost went to the mansion to protest until Jeonghan said that it was okay and that he can take care of himself. They let him go telling him to write to them everyday and report everything that has happened to him.
    

Now Jeonghan was part of the busy kitchen preparing for the arrival of the King and the Queen. He was told that they will come visit to check on the Prince’s situation on his new home. 

Jeonghan wasn’t sure if he should feel honored or not.

 

To say that the queen was ethereal was an understatement. Jeonghan stood there together with the line of servants with his mouth agape as he ogled at the Queen who was then currently spooning soup into her mouth while listening to Prince Mingyu’s ramblings about his week. She was neither delicate nor dainty. But she has this certain grace about her, strong charm that fit her sun-soaked skin and the firm muscles on her arms. Jeonghan was then reminded how she was a star’s daughter—that of the tip of Orion’s arrow, the sun god’s greatest and most faithful warrior.

 

As if she became aware of someone staring at her, the queen raised her eyes to meet that of Jeonghan’s amazed ones. For a moment, she just held him in a long eyelock leaving Jeonghan to wonder if he’s worthy of even looking at the queen. And then she smiled.

 

“What is he doing here?” the queen asked the headservant of the mansion while gesturing towards Jeonghan. “Isn’t he too young to be in here?” She said with a thick accent.

 

The headservant, as well as Jeonghan was surprised by the question. The former looked at the Prince not knowing what to answer her.

 

“He’s poor. So I did him a favor.” Prince Mingyu announced smugly.

 

The queen looked at his son reprimandingly then at Jeonghan. “Boy, are you supposed to go to the academy?”

 

“I decided to just go next year, your majesty.” Jeonghan bowed after answering.

 

The queen glared at the Prince once more and motioned for Jeonghan to come near. The Prince answered him with a pout.

 

“You would study, with Mingyu,” she stopped for a moment to raise her hand when Jeonghan was about to oppose, a gesture scarily similar to that of his son.  “You can still work here after school if you want. But please know that the royal family will do its best to provide for the Fire nation citizens.” 

 

As if hooked by the Queen’s spell, Jeonghan nodded his head immediately.

Jeonghan balanced the two plates of cut apples and a plate of frayed chicken on his hands.  He walked through the maze of hallways in the mansion while cursing Prince Mingyu and his big appetite. It was frickin 1 am. He should be asleep, not serving some bratty person.

 

When he reached the Prince’s room, he cursed him once more while figuring out how to knock on the door. With no other choice, he flipped his hair, spread his arms to protect the plates, and bumped his forehead on the hard mahogany. When there was no response, he bumped it again using more force while leaning his body to the beat. On the third one however, the door opened and suddenly, there was no mahogany that met his forehead. Instead, he stumbled forward into thin air towards something softer than the mahogany yet still firm. There was a fluff of something that framed his head and he opened his eyes to see what it was.

 

He was met with the Prince’s face dangerously close to him and he realized that his face landed exactly on his bare chest, a part not covered by his fluffy sleeping robes.  He choked and immediately tried to stand up on his own. However he found out that he was trapped by a pair of arms secured around his waist.

 

He widened his eyes the same time Prince Mingyu widened his. The prince might not also realize what he just did. He immediately removed his hands and released Jeonghan from his grip.

 

With a flustered look, the prince stepped aside to let Jeonghan pass. “Put those on my desk,” he ordered.

 

Jeonghan awkwardly shuffled inside the prince’s enormous room. It was twice bigger than his own house. What made him more surprise however were the enormous amounts of books placed on shelves lining up the wall. Who knew that the prince love to read? The prince had a huge metal intricate metal bed placed at the center and at the side of the room was a glass case the size of his own room. He wondered what that might be for.

 

He then carefully placed the plates on the desk. He was about to leave when “Stay for a moment.” the Prince said.

 

He turned around while silently wishing that the Prince was not crazy enough to order him to feed him. He found the prince slouching on the bed—his current position exposing more chest than necessary. 
    

“What?!” Jeonghan snapped embarrassed.

 

“You must be ecstatic about going to the academy.”

 

“Why are you so concerned about how I feel? Stop assuming things. You don’t know me.”

 

“An Aries should feel that way.  Get off your high horse and be thankful.”

 

“I will forever be grateful to the King and Queen.” Jeonghan said emphasizing the last part. “But let me tell you Prince that a person is more than just his sign.”

 

“Is he?” the Prince said amused.

 

Jeonghan struck by the Prince’s mocking tone turned to leave. 

 

“Stay. You are not yet dismissed.” The Prince said immediately. “On Monday, you will wait for me on the courtyard. I should go there with my horse already prepared and my things already set. Remember that when we reach the academy, your status as my servant will not be removed. Understood?” 

 

Jeonghan nodded unwillingly.

 

“You can go.”

Jeonghan was about to fall asleep standing up when the Prince finally exit out the front doors. He was waiting there for 30 minutes and he wondered if he can even do this everyday. He was so frickin tired.

 

“What are you waiting for?” the Prince asked after jumping onto his horse, a breed made for royalty. Its mane was gold; an intimidating shade Jeonghan would never dare touch.

 

Jeonghan stood there not knowing what to do. Sensing his confusion, “What? Do you think I’m going to let you ride with me? Hurry up to the stables and get a commoner’s horse. On your way there, ask a stable boy to accompany us so someone can look after the horses when we’re in the academy.” the Prince ordered him.

 

The long-haired boy glared at him before running towards the stable. He led the first horse he can find outside and approached a man tending a horse. He noticed the exceptionally large Sagittarian ring on his hand.

 

“Oh! You’re here? I can’t believe the Prince actually got a hold of you. We’ve been looking for you a lot of times!”

 

“Really?”

 

The man nodded enthusiastically. “He was immensely obsessed with you! It’s quite fortunate that you’re here now. I guess there will be free afternoons for me now.”
    

“Good for you mister. It’s the opposite for me. He highly dislike me. I guess it became his mission to make my life difficult.”

 

Before the man can even reply, they were interrupted by  a loud yell from the Prince asking him to hurry up.

The Prince yelled at him for the fifth time pushing Jeonghan to his highest limit.

 

“If you yell at me one more time, you frickin' brat, I will run you over with this stubborn horse!”

 

“Don’t you dare raise your voice at me, I will burn you!" The prince shouted back at him. "Have you never ridden a horse? This is unbelievable." The Prince scolded him.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter