Lynx

Star-Crossed
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jeonghan sat on the bed, blanket completely wrapped around him. His hands were at his side immobilized by the thick cloth-–the whole thing feeling like it was done on purpose. And he wiggled, glaring at the person across him, the true culprit of why he was covered like that.

 

“You do know this is unnecessary, right?”

 

Mingyu chuckled, looking far more amused at the situation than necessary. “Didn’t you say you were cold?”

 

“Yes. But not like this. I won’t jump at you,” he muttered in a tone of a truly wronged person. “Also, when I said I was cold, I didn’t mean I need a blanket. I meant I need you to warm me up,” he mumbled.

 

A slight smile appeared on Mingyu’s face and he stood up from his couch. Jeonghan immediately freed himself from the blanket, smiling eagerly as he flapped it open-- an invitation for Mingyu to join him.

 

But Mingyu only sat beside him, an exact foot away from him, not even a point of contact. And Jeonghan gave out an offended hmpp, glaring at him again.

 

Mingyu laughed, a hint of teasing in his eyes. And then finally he relented, shifting closer and putting an arm around his shoulder.

 

Jeonghan snuggled closer, “I’m a little hurt you don’t believe I will behave myself. I won’t force myself to you.”

 

Suddenly, Mingyu lied down, pulling Jeonghan with him—both of them falling on the bed. He was laughing now, the vibrations on his chest giving Jeonghan nice feelings. “My love, believe me. It’s not you. It’s me I don’t trust.”

 

He pouted, considering what he said. The adrenaline from their previous activity was still evident on Mingyu. He can feel his heartbeat-- still going fast and excited.

 

“Would you tell me now what’s the matter? I still have bathrooms to scrub...”

 

Mingyu frowned at that, hand reaching out for Jeonghan’s, linking them together. “Can you not to do those things anymore?”

 

“Why are you asking my permission? Last time I checked, you’re the master of this house.” Jeonghan teased back. However, it seemed like Mingyu took it seriously as he shifted up and propped himself on his elbow.

 

“Jeonghan, If only you would agree, I would keep you here, you can sleep here all day, I would feed you everything, take care of you, give you anything you want…”

 

“Anything?” Jeonghan asked giving Mingyu a meaningful look.

 

Mingyu nodded, completely oblivious of the point Jeonghan was trying to make.

 

“Then I want this,” he said cheekily, reaching up and placing a suggestive kiss on his lips.

 

It was at that moment that Jeonghan saw Mingyu tense up and he didn’t know if he would laugh or be hurt at his reaction.

 

“I’m just playing a trick with you.” he immediately clarified. “Also I like cleaning sometimes. It makes me relax…”

 

Mingyu then exhaled, like he was readying himself for something. “I supposed you want to know why I went to the oracle.”

 

Jeonghan frowned, getting worried all of a sudden. He’s been curious all along but he wasn’t expecting that this would be brought up right at that moment.

 

Nonetheless, he answered, lying back again and focusing his eyes to the ceiling. “To find answers,” he said with confidence. He’s been extremely hurt when he found out of his trip with Princess Tzuyu but their conversation at the stream made the situation clearer and everything clicked. He bit his tongue to stop the barrage of questions that was threatening to come out of his tongue. Mingyu was finally going to tell him and all he needs to do is listen, to know the rest of the story so he to fully know the reasons behind his actions.

 

“Jeonghan, do you remember when we went to the lake?”

 

He nodded, recounting in his mind each detail of that unpleasant trip.

 

“At that time, I already knew that you were the Libra. It was the day after you showed me your water peritia. I felt so useless, caught up with the hidden joy with nothing I can do but remind you to not hold fire until you learn about your peritia."

 

“But Mingyu, you could have told me…” he said with no real accusation.

 

“I was planning to but you’ve been acting quite distantly with me," Mingyu paused shifting his position so he can properly look at Jeonghan. "Now that we're talking about this, I am curious. What made you upset with me?”

 

Jeonghan reddened at the question, getting embarrassed that this topic was brought up. "Alright, I know I was especially sensitive that day, but you were saying some hurtful things."

 

The imploring expression in Mingyu's face was immediately replaced with surprise and confusion.

 

"You insulted my hand!”

 

It took a few seconds before the ridge between Mingyu's eyebrows disappeared and he gave a soft laugh, pulling Jeonghan’s hand towards his face and then kissing the center of his palm. “I would never. I was merely protecting your hand from getting hurt by the fire." He placed a few more kisses there and then his face eventually turned serious. He lied down again and enclosed Jeonghan within his arms.

 

“It was also the same day you were sick. I was waiting at least a day to tell you. But then, Princess Tzuyu said something… Some reminders from the oracle of her own nation.”

 

Jeonghan remembers it clearly. An overheard conversation that took a strike in his heart and reminded him that Princess Tzuyu was the prophesized Libra, someone who has the capability to keep Mingyu at her side.

 

“It created a mix of confusion and understanding in my mind—a lead. It must be a reason you were sick so I rushed and prepared a trip with her to the oracle. Because I have to know, Jeonghan, and going with her would cover any suspicions, would bury any of my underlying motive.”

 

“And I’ve told myself, that telling you was a bad idea. That you may misunderstand the trip and give you more burden than you already have. I haven’t realized that keeping it a secret would hurt you this much. And I’m sincerely sorry, my love…” he whispered, placing a soft kiss on his lips.

 

“I have to admit that my actions were but just a product of a rash mind. There was something I could have done, could have changed to approach the situation. I should have been more honest with you...”

 

At the words, Jeonghan reached up too, shaking his head and returning the kiss.

 

“I understand now, Mingyu. And I’m sorry too. For leaving without saying anything. I should have asked you. But its over now and the only way is to move on and go forward. So tell me, what did the oracle say?”

 

“It was a reminder for Aries, Jeonghan. To religiously stay stay by Libra’s side, until the gifts have come.”

 

“But why?”

 

“Gifts don’t come easily. You’re body is built as that of a human, fragile and weak in the face of power beyond us. The oracle claimed it will be a painful process,” he admitted pulling Jeonghan tighter against his chest. “But Aries can ease the pain, at least that’s what the prophecy say.

 

Before the words can fully register, Mingyu continued. “Summer is ending, Jeonghan. We’re a day away from September and the period of Libra is fast approaching. The oracle said that at a time like this, it is highly possible that the prophesized Libra would be experiencing physical and behavioral changes--a sign, or for a better word, a warning. You are pulled to me, as I am pulled to you. Your mind and body would tell you that I need to be by your by side, a preparation for what was coming. And if I’m not, your body would protest and your health would decline.”

 

There was a long minute of silence wherein Mingyu allowed Jeonghan to take in what he said. His mind raced to all the times he felt weak, when Mingyu would feel distant to him and then seem to gain strength when he’s with him. Was that it? Was it because the prophecy was already taking place?

 

Before he can fully process it, Mingyu spoke again, voice quieter, more solemn.

 

“There was more, my love. An information he disclosed to serve as a reminder.”

 

He nodded, urging Mingyu to continue.

 

“We aren’t the first of our kind, Jeonghan,” he revealed.

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“A century ago, Aries and Libra met. They were the same as us. Held together by the words of the prophecy.”

 

Jeonghan was confused, and he sat up, pulling Mingyu with him so they were facing each other at an eye level. The new information was not something at all he was expecting to hear and he made sure his expression showed his bewilderment.

 

“But I don’t understand! If that is true, then why does the prophecy still stands until now. Why do we exist?”

 

“It was an era of war, Jeonghan. Everyone was vying for the most power. And their enemies, they made sure that Libra and Aries failed to receive the gifts. They took Aries away from Libra,” Mingyu paused giving him a careful look. "And Libra died, when his body couldn’t take the force. And thus, the prophecy wasn’t fulfilled…”

 

It was all too much to take and Jeonghan haven’t even realized how he stiffened until Mingyu gathered him in his lap and tightened his hold on him.

 

“Breathe with me, Jeonghan.”

 

He doesn’t understand what he feels. He’s still skeptical about his identity but he was extremely terrified. He haven’t realized how tight the connection would be, something that would even risk their lives.

 

“I’m not going to let anything bad happen to you,” Mingyu declared, his words full of promise.

 

There was no other thing Jeonghan can do but nod, burying his face to Mingyu’s chest and finding comfort there. It was like, suddenly, there was a lot to think about. Suddenly, something that was already heavy to approach turned out to be much more serious. But he knew that these worries, these jitters despite Mingyu's promise, are reserved for when he have the time to be alone. On nights when his mind would be clear and he can properly organize his thoughts. Right then, he knew that Mingyu should feel that he's not alone in this. That Mingyu should know that Jeonghan was there with him. Would always be present with him in whatever problem that would come to them.

 

“We won’t let anything happen to each other,” he mumbled out to him.


He felt a soft kiss on the top of his head, which stayed there for a long while until Jeonghan looked up at him, aiming to shift the conversation to a lighter topic. He placed his a hand on Mingyu's upper arm, tracing a soft line there with his finger.

 

“So you’re telling me you stopped us before because you think that my desire for you is just a side effect of the prophecy…That I don’t I truly want this. And that I was needy and clingy just because the prophecy is taking place now. ”

 

It seemed such a long time until Mingyu nodded. “This is big step Jeonghan for us, for you. I don’t want you to do something you don’t have full control of.”

 

That made Jeonghan frown. Because that wasn’t true. He knew himself and he knew that it was a decision he consciously made. After all, it really wasn’t because he wanted it for selfish reasons. He was thinking of Mingyu too, thought it a good way to show his love for him.

 

“Well you’re wrong,” he voiced out. “I want this, Mingyu. I know myself.”

 

Mingyu didn’t look convinced which made his frown even deeper. “You truly believe I’m not capable of making this decision all by myself. I’m a grown person. ” 

 

Mingyu reached up, smoothening out the furrow that formed on Jeonghan’s forehead. “It’s not that I don’t. I’m just saying your decision making might have been affected by something you still haven’t recognized by now.”

 

“We’re not even sure I’m the Libra!” he complained. When he saw that Mingyu was going to disagree, he spoke again. “So what now? Do we not touch each other now?” his tone came out like that of a petulant child. 

 

Mingyu gave him an amused smile. “We can still do this,” a peck on the lips, “this,” a peck on both of cheeks, “this,” a peck on his nose, “and this,” he gathered Jeonghan into a tight embrace.

 

“Basically, everything except that…That’s so unfair.”

 

“I hope you know I’m just doing this for you.”

 

“Still. Deciding for yourself…You’re such an Aries.”

 

Mingyu chuckled at that but his expression eventually turned serious. “Are you mad at me?

 

“No. Just ,” he muttered childishly.

 

“Jeonghan!” he exclaimed. "I swear you’ll be the death of me.”

 

 

 

 

Jeonghan sat across Mingyu at the table in the corner of his room. He just came out of the small bath in the room wearing a borrowed bathrobe from Mingyu. The table was now full of food. It seemed like the other has it prepared while he was bathing.

 

“Aren’t you cold?” Mingyu asked, eyeing him from his position.

 

“Hmm?” he retorted, pretending to be oblivious at his question. When he came out, he intentionally pulled one of his sleeves lower to expose more skin on his shoulder. He really wasn’t expecting something to come out of that action and bathing has taken from him the last of his lust. He just wanted to see Mingyu’s rea

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter