Taurus

Star-Crossed
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The news of Mingyu’s arrival travelled fast around the neighborhood and soon Jeonghan found himself squeezed between his parents in a feast hastily put up by the people to welcome the Prince.

 

He remained quiet, just observing from a distance and getting amused at how the people seemed to compete for Mingyu’s attention. Mingyu humored them, kindly giving each his full attention. It was admirable in a sense, but Jeonghan can’t help the itch that was forming under his skin.

 

He wanted his attention too. Wanted his eyes only on him. To see him catering others made something in his stomach twist.

 

When the mood of the gathering was at its peak, he found his mood dipping even further as he ended up seated in front of Mingyu—the other surrounded by his young neighbors dressed in their finest robes, made up of thick cloth despite the hot weather. He observed silently, taking note of the overly expressed enthusiasm of his neighbors as they tried to impress the Prince.

 

During times like this, Jeonghan can see Mingyu’s side as a Fire Nation prince. Mingyu responded with grace to everything the people have thrown him, have presented himself approachable and showed how well-versed he is to the present issues of the people--may it be problems on irrigations on farming in which Lutiora was known for, or complaints on the implementation of different laws.

 

Sometime when they were talking about the community industries, the conversation shifted on to a lighter side, and suddenly the topic of peritia came about. Jeonghan watched one of his louder neigbor parade her hands in front of Mingyu, showing off her skills.

 

“If you only let me your majesty, I can show you the wonders of these hands. Fire massage is a rare peritia. Surely, I can make you feel good if you gave me your permission."

 

And of course, Mingyu agreed, creating a small fire above his hands to cater the request which earned him some audible awws. The excited girl wasted no time, dipping a hand to the fire immediately, and going straight to caress Mingyu’s neck with it.

 

From his position, Jeonghan can see the smug expression on her face, looking at her friends to give them a sly smile as she continued to press and push on Mingyu's muscles.

 

It was like touching Mingyu was some kind of prize to be won. Jeonghan hated it so much.

 

When her hands dipped lower, snaking through Mingyu's collar and pressing over his shoulders. Jeonghan can’t help but scoff. “Stop touching him,” he said aggresively in an irritated tone before he can stop himself.

 

The consequence of what he said was immediate as all pairs of surprised eyes fall onto him. He curled in on himself, feeling the curious glares on him. He hasn’t expected the words to come out from his mouth and he pursed his lips, embarrassed.

 

He looked at the girl again, getting a glare showing mixed emotions of anger and offense for being disrupted by someone like him. He quickly racked his mind for a way to salvage the situation until Mingyu spoke, directing the attention to him.

 

"Pardon me, It's truly right I need constant reminder about caring for my clothes. The royal tailor has been constantly nagging me about the condition of my robes. I think its about time time I follow him," Mingyu said flashing a smile so charming as he made a show of fixing and smoothening out his collars. Jeonghan knew anyone who would have heard him will believe it.

 

Without missing a beat, Mingyu continued, “I almost forgot, I did told you I would like to survey the area. I believe now is the right time. Come with me, Jeonghan.” He stood up and waited for Jeonghan at his side. He then turned to the people and bowed. “Please excuse us.”

 

Jeonghan led them to an area far away from the people. He bit his nails, still nervous about what had happened. He knew it’s very likely that his neighbors would just dismiss what he said as a product of a foolish and impulsive mouth. But still… he’s been extremely careless. Another wrong move from him again would surely be enough to arise suspicions.

 

Surprisingly though, it seemed like Mingyu was not bothered by it. They were very close by and he can feel the spring on his step as they walked. He also noticed how the other would pluck out hydrangeas of various color from the bushes they passed by.  They went around the plains quietly, neither of them saying anything.

 

“Did you not like it?” Mingyu suddenly asked when they reached a part of the area covered with canopy and vines blocking them from the view of anyone that may pass by down the track.

 

“What?”

 

“Did you not like people touching me?”

 

He choked on his saliva, getting red again from embarrassment. He glared at Mingyu, not believing he would ask him that question. He turned away, refusing to give him an answer because he doesn’t want to admit anything.

 

But then Mingyu stopped him by touching his hand, turning to him and using his silence to push the hydrangeas he arranged in a bunch to his hands.

 

Jeonghan froze. He’s never received flowers like this. More so, receiving hydrangeas like the ones in his hand. It was a famous tradition in Lutiora to receive and give these flowers among couples. He wondered if Mingyu knew about it.

 

“What are these flowers for?" he asked nonetheless noting how fast his heart started to beat at the gesture.

 

There was a slight upward tilt on the corners of Mingyu's mouth but there was hesitation in his eyes. Suddenly, Mingyu looked down as if he's shy and Jeonghan became all the more confused.

 

“Mingyu…”

 

“I’m guessing you’d find it unacceptable for me to say but this I was happy you stopped her," there was a hint of red on his face and Jeonghan understood.

 

"And isn't today lovely. I am delighted I had the pleasure to walk around with you. I hope these bright hyndrangeas can give you an idea on what I'm feeling--"

 

“No Mingyu,” he interrupted. There was frustration seeping in. It was like Mingyu hasn’t realized the severity of their situation—hadn’t thought of the extent of damage to his position as Prince if ever their association with each other was exposed. “You’re right. That was really unacceptable. And I’m sorry for being careless like that earlier. It wasn’t right for me to say that and pique people’s interest. You are exposed to people’s eyes here. And the longer you stay, the longer they’d be interested in you. The people shouldn’t know of us Mingyu and you,” he gulped pushing the bunch of hydrangeas to Mingyu’s hands as he felt his eyes began to sting.

 

“You should go back to the mansion.”

 

 

Jeonghan felt the surge of adrenaline in his veins as he ran. He was in a rush, navigating through the countless corridors and wondering if he’s near his destination.

 

Yet no matter how desperately he wanted to be there as fast as possible, his legs chose to betray him. He slumped down tired, crouching to clutch his knees as he caught his breath. He knew there was no time to waste but as he tried to move again, he found his feet firmly planted on his position.

 

As he tried to see if there was anyone around who can help him, he caught his reflection on the clear glass window beside him. He saw his eyes widen as he took in his appearance. There he was, wearing a dark red silk robe, so beautiful and paired with a complimentary orange velvet sash wrapped around his middle. Intricate embroidered pattern dotted the expanse of the cloth and he wondered what they were.

 

Bringing up his arms up to look closely at his sleeves, he realized it was the sign of the Aries. 

 

“No…” he cried out, voice creating echo at the empty corridor.

 

Mingyu. He needs to see him. He shouldn't be wearing these clothes and he needed to tell him.

 

He pulled on his feet, getting frustrated at how hard it was to walk. It was like his feet were chained to huge metal balls and he needs to drag them with him to move. Despite it, he managed to walk through the long expanse of the corridor.

 

Thankfully, just after a turn around the corner, he found the doors of the great hall of the castle glaringly big at the end of the corridor.

 

Finally.

 

When he reached it, he exhaled a sigh of relief, smiling to himself. 

 

He opened the door feeling excited at the prospect of seeing Mingyu again. However, instead of Mingyu, a line of people welcomed him at the other side. He didn’t know their names but they were familiar. He realized they were the castle’s servants. Around them, a lot of people gathered, creating a buzzing noise reminding him of a banquet.

 

He halted, startled at the unexpected scene he arrived to. The people in front of him were smiling excitedly, practically jumping on their heels. The look they gave him was meant to be welcoming but he felt nothing but terrified.

 

Especially when he realized that they were wearing the same sets of dark red silk clothes as him, differing only in patterns that decorated them.

 

Before he can figure out what everything meant, the line of people divided, creating a space. From there, a man wearing similar clothes emerged, patterns of bullheads on his robes. As he came closer, he realized it was Seokmin, the castle cook.

 

Seokmin gave him a smile so bright and cheerful that he was taken aback.

 

“You are just in time.”

 

He opened his mouth to ask what he meant but the cook’s eyes were already not on him but instead they were focused at something far away. He followed his gaze, briefly noting how the line of people was already dispersing.

 

The first thing he saw was the circular platform at the center of the hall, the same one used when the prophecy was announced to the people. This time however, the platform was decorated with a bunch of flowers—bright pink hydrangeas lining up the margin the most eye-catching of them all.

 

His eyes flickered to the top of the platform on which three people stood. His eyes immediately fell down on the man he was seeking for. Mingyu stood there, smiling down fondly at someone. Mind going down to a screeching, grounding halt, he realized that Mingyu was beaming happily at Princess Tzuyu.

 

Both of them were wearing grand clothes—gold, stark, and brilliant—making everyone in the room including him looked dull.

 

He looked at his robes again. With a new perspective, he realized how normal his clothes were at this seemingly extravagant event.

 

Realization dawned on him…

 

He was not there to see Mingyu. He was there as a servant, dressed as nicely as possible to be deemed presentable to the guests he will attend to.

 

In this grand event, with Mingyu and Princess Tzuyu as the main characters, he remained as a servant, one that was there not to enjoy but to make it enjoyable and convenient for the people present.

 

He looked at the platform again, this time focusing his attention to the third person there. It was the fire nation oracle, and in his hands, Jeonghan saw a golden cord--one he knew signifies the blessing of a d

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter