Vela

Star-Crossed
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

AN: 

*sweats nervously* hi

this chapter was supposed to be part of a longer chapter but i cut it in half. When i was writing, i wrote the first and last part first and then filled up the middle with various scenes. I haven't realized there was alot left to be written. i decided to publish the first half first because i wanted an output because i feel like im stuck and in a phase wherein i can't write.

this chapter can then become confusing. because the explanation for some scenes will be found in the other half. u can wait for the other half if you want or you can just go on and read this.

this fic still lives lmao, it just has a ty author.

 

As days passed, Jeonghan saw less and less of Mingyu. And when he did, it was always during meal times; when he would stand at the sides and watch over him and Princess Tzuyu delve over topics beyond his comprehension. He’s been aware that both of them grew up in a completely different sphere from what he’s used to. And the inner workings and political circumstance between nations weren’t something he grew up exposed. So when he saw how smoothly and casually each of them threw arguments towards each other, he can’t help but be insecure. Can’t help but classify himself uneducated over something that should probably matter to him by now.

During nights where he would be alone at bed, he’d lay awake until his eyelids droop on their own. Every night he’d keep the door unlocked. Wished that Mingyu would sneak into his room even for just a second like he’s told him before. But he didn’t and Jeonghan would feel the day after turn out worse than the previous one.

The bunch of flowers kept appearing more frequently outside of his door.  He’d pick them up, look over them for a second and then proceed to throw them over some torch lining the corridor. It was a waste to see the flowers crumble away but he comforted himself with the sight of the flowers outside. They were more beautiful anyway. He would look at through his window to see the autumn flowers bloom but refrained from going outside to see them closely. He knew Seungcheol would be there, and he didn’t have the heart to meet him. Much less to listen to whatever he had to say.

He did his chores diligently. But he did them with a heavy heart and heavy limbs. It didn’t help that heavy tension was imminent in the air. Everyone seemed like they’re on the edge. A collective feeling that there was something big looming over them. Everyone was busy--high ranking officials and generals scampering around with urgency as they stressed over planning for the impending encounter with the Air Nation. Jeonghan wasn’t really sure when they expect it. But if the incessant shouting and agitated scrambling at the courtyard in the morning as guards and soldiers do practice combats was any indication, Jeonghan supposed they are expecting it soon.

Jeonghan wasn’t really sure about the extent of reactions from the Fire Nation citizens after King Namgyu finally revealed the threat of war. He was only able to glimpse the sense of fear from the people serving in the castle like himself. They kept their composure as they continue with their everyday routine but the change was obvious. Beyond the obvious dread, Jeonghan noticed that they were very protective. Jeonghan’s trips to the kitchen where servants would gather to gossip was enough to tell him of the collective feeling towards the matter.  Everyone has claimed the same intensity of loathing towards the Air Nation and has the same passion of protecting both royalties to the best of their abilities.

During that time, he preferred it if he would be working around Mingyu at least, even though he knew that there would only be desire and longing for him when he see him. But everyday, he would be asked to join the servants cleaning the King’s chambers. Sometimes, it would be the Queen’s. He would stay at their offices the whole day and he would only see Mingyu during meal times.  Even then, he would be graced with nothing but a polite attention fitted for a servant.

He convinced himself that it was something they agreed with each other. That Mingyu would act as a Prince and Jeonghan, his servant. It was something that would be the best for them. That they remain apart for the meantime and tread through their days in the castle with care.

But still, there was a lot of unease. That night, he woke up in the middle of a restless sleep agitated. He was not able to stop himself from going out of his bed and sneaking out into the dark corridors. There was something that has been bothering him ever since Mingyu transferred rooms and even though he was embarrassed to admit, there was a great urge to confirm. A single room may be too small for two royalties to stay in. He was deeply curious… how do they sleep? Are they really sharing the same bed?

He walked down slowly, contemplating whether to proceed or just go back. Before he knew it, however, he was already making a plan on how to go on with it. He knew Mingyu’s room and he has tried going there before by climbing up the wall to his balcony. Surely, he can do it again. He just needed to be a little more quiet.

He checked himself, looking down to see whether his clothes were dull enough to be concealed by the darkness in case someone may still be wandering outside. As he sneaked outside he focused on his robes, tugging on it and making sure it’s secure. He passed by the cover of the bushes, walking slowly while making sure he made no noise.

Once he reached the area where Mingyu’s balcony face, he stopped. He stuck himself to the side of the wall, moving his head a little so he can peer to see whether or not there were people around.

Sure enough, his eyes saw movement directly down where Mingyu’s room was located. His heart stopped for a moment as dark silhouettes painted his view.

Of course, Jeonghan thought. There would be guards patrolling around. The authority weren’t taking any risks as they ensured the safety of the prince and the princess.

He knew that proceeding with his plan would be too dangerous. Disappointed, he turned around, immediately jumping in his place when he saw someone leaning against the wall beside him.

His surprise was too evident to not be noticed. Despite it he still tried to remain still, feeling the chaotic beating of his heart. Did he get caught?

If so, he was ready to surrender, ready to come up with excuses and reason his way out of the predicament. Running away would look to defensive. He was scared to think how much commotion it would cause.

Yet the person in front of him stayed still too, mirroring his stance. Jeonghan squinted his eyes at him, realizing he has no other choice but to acknowledge the other. He unintentionally gave out of a sigh relief when he realized it was no guard. Rather, the person was wearing the same robes as his. The person was a servant too and thankfully, not someone from the Water Nation.

But what was he doing there outside with him?

He took a step forward, curious. As he did so, Jeonghan saw the person jump like he was scared. Like he was the one who was caught.

“Seungkwan?” he croaked surprised as he got a good look on his face, “Why are you here?”

The other looked much more rattled than him and it confused Jeonghan. He was a servant too under the Queen and he frequently encountered him in the Queen’s chamber when he go there. There was no reason for him to be tense around him. Not unless he was also sneaking out.

“I’m sorry!” Seungkwan exclaimed, bowing and then stopping himself immediately. Jeonghan saw him contemplate for a second like he was considering something and then he spoke.

“I just… can’t sleep. I saw you and I was curious and I followed you, I’m sorry!” he said again.

Seungkwan bit his lip and then looked carefully at Jeonghan. “It’s already late. Can I know why you’re here?”

Jeonghan faltered. He tried to hide his internal struggle in coming up with a good enough alibi by coming closer and pulling Seungkwan down the cover of the bushes and away from the risk of being seen.

When they were settled down, Seungkwan looked at him with a glint in his eyes. “Are you here to receive flowers?”

Jeonghan coughed, not expecting the question. “What did you say?”

“I saw the guard giving you flowers. I know him. He’s one of the guards there,” he paused for a moment, averting his eyes and looking down shyly.

Jeonghan can’t help but just nod mindlessly, not really sure where the conversation was heading. He was just thankful that somehow, Seungkwan was steering it away from his true intentions. He knew  who Seungkwan was talking about. He’s seen him before. Sometimes he’d wake up early and then find him pacing in front of his door to leave flowers. Mostly its carnation. Sometimes a bunch of marigolds. Sometimes it’s a bunch of peonies.

“Isn’t he attractive?” Seungkwan piped up but then like a tiny mimosa, curled in on himself immediately after the question left his mouth.

“I’m sorry! I shouldn’t be telling you that,” the other stammered. “Please just forget it. I’m sorry…”

It was amusing to see Seungkwan get flustered but the topic wasn’t really something he was prepared for. Seungkwan seemed like he liked the guard and was enthusiastic in keeping the conversation about him but Jeonghan hasn’t really thought about or considered the guard’s appearance to form an opinion about it. He wondered what Mingyu would think if he really did.

“I’m not here to see him,” Jeonghan finally muttered.

“Huh?” Seungkwan’s face broke into a frown. “Then why are you here?”

“I was just getting some fresh air,” he said lamely. He didn’t even try anymore. He was exhausted and the sadness from not being able to see Mingyu was catching up to him.

“Are you having a hard time sleeping?” the other implored. “Do you want me to prepare some milk for you?”

Jeonghan smiled appreciating the other’s kindness but he shook his head. “No, you don’t have to do that.”

He stood up a little, brushing off his robes of dirt that clung to it and then gripping Seungkwan’s wrist.

“It’s already late. I think we should go back inside.”



The next morning, Jeonghan chose to stay in his bed. It’s not that he made the decision by himself. It’s just that he simply can’t get up.

In no time however, another servant came and checked up on him. He was assigned to tend the Queen, he said to him. With pleading eyes, he relayed that he was sick. Promised that he would be up and about again the following day if only he can get enough rest.

When no one bothered him again, he thought he was free to sleep. But then another knock sounded. The door opened and suddenly, Seungkwan was already by the foot of his bed.

“I’m sorry. But the Queen insists,” he uttered softly.

So Jeonghan, dragged himself out of bed while thinking how cruel the world was. It seemed like Seungkwan took pity on him for when they walked, he supported most of his weight even though Jeonghan still has enough strength to walk on his own.

When they arrived, the Queen was sitting on a chair in front of her working table. When she took sight of him, she gave him a kind smile and Jeonghan thought that maybe it wouldn’t be that bad. He looked around and saw that the room was already spotless and clean. The Queen might have seen his confused expression because she quickly gestured at him, inviting him over to her side.

Jeonghan figured that it may be a special order. He obligingly followed, standing in front of her with his head lowered humbly.

“I apologize for calling you. I do have a lot of people I can call. But you’re the only one who can provide me with the information I need.” There was a slight twinkle in her eyes when she said that and Jeonghan unintentionally took a step back, unsure.

“Please sit down,” the Queen urged, motioning to the chair in front of her. Jeonghan followed, eyes travelling toward the little feast laid out on the table. The Queen was in the middle of her breakfast, it seemed.

“It would be impolite of me to continue eating. Please humor me and help yourself.”

Jeonghan’s eyes immediately flickered to Seungkwan and another servant standing at the Queen’s back, wondering how strange the scene in front of them might have appeared.

Noticing his distraught, the Queen’s hand went over his own. “Don’t worry,” she assured, hand tightening around his own. Before he can even comprehend the gesture, the Queen leaned back again on her seat and a smile appeared on her face. “This toast particularly tastes delightful,” she began, picking it up with nimble fingers and handing it to him. “You would enjoy it.”

Slowly, he brought it up to his lips, still hesitant. As he took the first bite, kind eyes focused on his own ones, searching.

“I wanted to have a little chat about my son. I’m certain you’re the most knowledgeable on his activities in Lutiora.”

Jeonghan’s eyes went to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter