Ara

Star-Crossed
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jeonghan made his way to the carriage with a huge bag, measly packed with shaking hands and a distracted mind. Mingyu told him to only pack the necessities and he will just provide for him with the rest when they reached the castle. Still, Jeonghan wasn’t sure what things he needed so he put all his possessions in there like a person who has no intention to come back. After all, he has nothing much. Everything he owned fitted in there with a significant space to spare.

 

Mingyu was already there, talking to the servants and giving them last minute instructions. When they locked eyes, he immediately dismissed them and walked towards him. He furtively reached out for his hand under the cover of his long robes and held it tightly like a silent comfort. And Jeonghan relished in it—holding back tightly because he needed it so much. He wanted to tell him so many things now but he knew it has to wait. They were too exposed. It’s too dangerous, especially now.

 

“Are you ready? Mingyu asked and Jeonghan nodded without thinking. “We’ll be going shortly. We’re just waiting for someone.”

 

“Seungcheol.” Mingyu said before he can even ask. Even so, Jeonghan felt the resentment on the way he said his name so he clutched his hand in an attempt to calm him.

 

“Mingyu, no. He needs to find his father.”

 

“His father’s loss is our problem too, you know that. And besides, we can’t leave him here. He knows too much. We can’t risk him exposing us. We have to keep our enemies close—”

 

“But he’s not an enemy. He was only pressured—”

 

“Yes,” Mingyu quipped like it took him a lot of effort to say it. “But he still has to answer to me.”

 

Jeonghan has no energy left to argue so he went inside the carriage and opted to wait there. Although, he was positive that Seungcheol was not a danger to them anymore, he really wasn’t keen on seeing him at that moment.

 

It wasn’t that long until Mingyu went up and the carriages started rolling forward. Jeonghan didn’t wait any longer. He shifted closer, put his arm around Mingyu’s waist and then reached up to give him a short kiss, one which was readily returned to him by the other. After which, he sunk down to his chest, drained and ready to spend the long hours of travel for sleep.

 

Mingyu let him, held him within his arms and gave him a comfortable warmth. When he tapped him on the shoulder to wake him up, it was already dark outside. Peeking through the small opening at the side of the carriage, he took sight of the floating fireballs at the distance—still unbelievably enchanting.

 

Unlike before, he wasn’t able to observe the ensemble properly since Mingyu pulled him to look at him, a grave expression present on his face.

 

“My love, are you ready?”

 

“I don’t think I have a choice but be. I’m not sure how to approach them though…”

 

“We would have to put an act, love. I believe mother and father and the rest of the fire nation officials are not aware of us yet. Pressuring Seungcheol to do a deed secretly for them also lead me to think that the Water Nation officials aren’t too keen to reveal our relationship to the public.”

 

A scandal, Jeonghan decided. That’s what they are. Exposing him would not only harm him but also damage both of Mingyu and the princess’ reputation.

 

“I’m afraid you would have to act as my servant and I, your prince,” he paused as he reached up to cup his face within his hands. “We would have to be on our toes and would have to watch our backs. And always, always bring your metal ball with you. We would react accordingly to whatever action they would pull.”

 

“Do we have to say there for a long time?” He questioned, eyeing the numerous baggage piled up in front of them.

 

Mingyu gave him a sad smile. “I’m sorry, love, but we have to. Like I said before, we have to keep our enemies close. I have to know what in the world they were up to and leaving you alone in the mansion wouldn’t even pass as an option.”

 

“But what if the time came that they expose me?”

 

“They won’t,” Mingyu said a confident smile appearing on his face.

 

“You’re the Libra. Exposing you would mean that they are exposing themselves too.”

 

 

 

 

 

Jeonghan’s first night in the castle strengthened his belief that there was a truth to Seungcheol’s claim. It wasn’t obvious at first. When they first arrived, the focus has been on Mingyu—a whole entourage of Fire Nation officials giving him a warm welcome despite their worried expressions. The King and the Queen greeted Mingyu with the representatives of the Water Nation at their sides, the strained smiles on their faces doing nothing to hide the worry and urgency evident on their movement. Surprisingly, the Water Nation Queen wasn’t there and Jeonghan was secretly thankful. He didn’t exactly want to meet her so soon.

 

He was just waiting at the sides, an invisible figure beside Mingyu, willing himself to properly act as a royal servant as he made sure that the scarf wrapped around his neck won’t reveal any wounds. As he did so, he remained alert, readying himself for whatever that is to come.

 

The initial wave of greetings went by just like that. It wasn’t until dinner time when he first met Princess Tzuyu at the dining hall that he felt eyes on him. The highest officials of the Fire and Water sat at both sides of the long table, with Mingyu sitting across Princess Tzuyu right at the middle. He refrained from making any eye contact, too frightened to let the situation escalate and put him on the spot. Instead he kept his gaze on Mingyu’s back, noting how tense his muscles were while he tried to participate in the conversation at the table.

 

The conversation was kept on superficial topics revealing nothing of the formed alliance between the two nations. Jeonghan figured that it hasn’t been made public yet, an agreement created on closed doors. Yet, the tension was tangible, a boiling water that can be spill over at any moment.

 

When the meal was over, he immediately went to Mingyu’s side, silently wishing that they would end the night early. The King, however, seemed to have other plans as he pulled Mingyu towards his side, inviting him to a night tea time.

 

“Alright,” Mingyu agreed. “Although, allow me to retreat to my room first. I’ll just change into comfortable clothes.”

 

“Very well, but be quick. We have so much to discuss.”

 

Before he can take a step however, King Namgyu put a hand on his shoulder, stopping him.

 

“Son, I almost forgot. Princess Tzuyu has taken a lodging in your room. A spare bed has been prepared there. It’s up you if you would use it or would prefer to share with the princess.”

 

“What?”

 

“It was a request Mingyu. She mentioned of her declining health and thought it would be best to share a room to be closer to you. There was no reason to say no. After all, it would be impolite to decline a guest of her status.”

 

For a few seconds, Mingyu stood motionless, just glaring at his father. He raked a hand through his hair, visibly frustrated, and then he sighed.

 

“I can’t believe you did this without discussing it with me first. I would request another room for me,” he declared firmly.

 

“Son—“

 

“I’m sure she will survive even if we don’t share the room,” he said with finality, walking away and refusing to let King Namgyu say anything more.

 

 

 

Mingyu did request a new room for him. Visitors from the water nation has taken most of the spare rooms so Mingyu ended up with one significantly smaller than his own. Jeonghan knew that it wasn’t a room for royalty and he was afraid that the other would not be comfortable in staying there.

 

“Mingyu, are you sure about not staying in your own room?” he implored.

 

“Let me throw that question back to you. Tell me, Jeonghan. Are you okay with me staying there?”

 

He pursed his lips, pretending to think through it even though he knew the answer. “No,” he muttered.

 

For the first time since they went down the carriage, Mingyu gave out a smile. Suddenly Jeonghan was pulled down on his lap, one hand coming up to his face to sweep away the stray hair that escaped from his tie.

 

“It’s warm here,” Mingyu began as he snuggled into Jeonghan’s shoulder. “Cozy,” he appealed. “And you know what? Secluded enough to keep you all for myself.”

 

“Sounds nice,” Jeonghan agreed, hand going up to rake through the other’s hair. “But you can’t keep me here, your highness,” he said, standing up and leaving Mingyu with an expression reminding him of an abandoned puppy. “I would let you know that this room has no balcony I can sneak in and escape out.”

 

“No matter. I would heat up a hole in the wall for you if you would allow.”

 

Jeonghan chuckled, giving Mingyu a quick peck on his forehead to appease his crestfallen expression. “Isn’t I staying in the room beside yours enough?” Jeonghan pointed out. Since the room was a little far from the main area of the castle, a servant’s quarter was conveniently placed beside the room, an information which cheered Mingyu up a little bit from the confrontation with his father.

 

“You do know I can’t stay here,” Jeonghan repeated as he leaned down, mouth going near Mingyu’s ear. “However, I would be kind enough to keep my doors unlocked for you. You can sneak in late at night when everyone’s asleep. No fool would check a servant’s room for a missing prince.”

 

Mingyu laughed, pulling Jeonghan again on his lap. The other didn’t give him time to react when his mouth went over his own, kissing him as he windled his arms around his hips. Jeonghan’s hands tangled themselves on Mingyu’s hair, free now since they were alone. When he felt Mingyu catch his lower lip between his teeth, he clutched his shoulder, pulling away slightly so that their foreheads were pressed together.

 

“Mingyu,” Jeonghan managed to say before it can escalate. “You still have to meet your father.”

 

“You’re right,” he sighed. “I would be back as quickly as I can.”

 

 

 


Half an hour hasn’t even passed when a knock sounded from the door, surprising Jeonghan who was in the midst of folding Mingyu’s clothes. He went to the door quickly, eager to welcome back the prince.

 

But it wasn’t Mingyu. It was Princess Tzuyu. And Jeonghan’s hand automatically went over his pocket, ready to heat it up once the Princess does something that will hurt him.

 

“Is something the matter, your highness?”

 

Instead of answering, the Princess invited herself into the room, looking around for a moment before finally sitting down on the edge of the bed.

 

For a second, Jeonghan thought that the princess’ intention really was to visit the Prince and nothing more for she remained mum for a long time, an awkward silence filling up the room that only heightened Jeonghan’s anxiety.

 

But then, like an eagle that finally found it’s target, she turned to him, locking him into a piercing gaze that made Jeonghan’s heart sink to hi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter