Circinus

Star-Crossed
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jeonghan leaped down the tree and went back to the mansion. It was just unfortunate when he learned that even the cool breeze wasn't able to calm his nerves. He was restless since morning, walking back and forth down the mansion to distract himself from the weird heaviness he was feeling. It was a lazy day as the Prince was not there at that time. The King’s servants fetched him that morning. He heard from the mansion maids that there will be an event in the castle and the Prince’s presence is a must.

 

For the fourth time, his feet directed him in front of the Prince's chamber. He's already fixed everything inside, dusted every visible surface, and smoothened out the sheets and curtains. Yet there was still an urge to enter. Somehow, he can breathe more easily inside and he can stop fidgeting and biting his nails.

 

Jeonghan likes to think that he's just used to the surroundings inside as he spent most of his time there during his stay as a servant. Familiarity is one thing that soothes him.

 

He sat on the bed and fiddled with the corner of the pillows nearest to him. He brought it on his lap and hugged it. It smelled of floral soap and when he buried his head on it, he was met by the scent of the Prince, strong and inviting, that it felt like he was back to the time he rode behind him on the horse. He was in the middle of long sniff when he realized what he was doing. Surprised by his actions, he threw the pillow away and shuffled down immediately outside.

 

Afraid that someone might have seen him, he looked around for anyone that might have witnessed it. He was so so embarrassing. He didn’t even know what pushed him to do that.

 

"There you are!" the end of the corridor was Gaeun, the head servant's daughter, looking relieved.

 

She shuffled towards him. “Hurry! Pack for two days worth of clothes and wait outside the mansion!" She squeaked in the middle of short breaths. She might have been running around the mansion trying to find him.

 

Before Jeonghan can even ask why, Gaeun watched him with curiosity and spoke in a tone full of wonder.

 

"The Prince asks for you."

 

5 hours after, Jeonghan was still sitting in the carriage.  His surprise when the Prince's very own personal carriage driver emerged at the front of the mansion was nothing compared to the shock he’s seen on the faces of the servants that saw him leave. Apparently, unworthy people weren’t allowed to ride it. And based on the murmurs, Jeonghan was one of those undeserving people.

 

But then much to their dismay, they weren't able to do anything about it as the Prince specifically said to fetch him with it. Jeonghan wondered if the Prince remembered his issue with riding on horses.

 

Sooner than he expected, the carriage  driver informed him that they're approaching the castle and that its best to get ready. He peeked through the window framed with what seemed like gold and silver to observe where they were.

 

And then his breath caught short on the view that welcomed him.

 

His eyes laid on what seemed like fireballs the size of carriage wheels floating in the air at the distance. They were very bright--radiant and sparkling, a stark contrast with the gloominess of the dark night. There were plenty of them, scattered around in a random fashion that it seemed like Jeonghan was looking at a fire rain on freeze motion. 

 

"Are those fireballs really floating?" Jeonghan asked in astonishment, not believing what he was seeing.

 

"Yes, courtesy of the Air nation queen," The carriage driver answered amused by Jeonghan's reaction. "She made the fire float as a gift when she visited years ago," he added tone smug with the carried information.

 

Jeonghan stared at it, mouth agape thinking that not even a moment in his entire life did he imagine he will see something as majestic as that. He squinted and he was able to make the outline of the castle at the very center of the grand ensemble.

 

But then, as they come nearer he felt the weird tug again. His heart beat faster and all of a sudden, he felt agitated and he didn’t even know why. The long ride suddenly felt too much and the speed of the carriage was suddenly too slow. He’s normally a very patient person but at that moment, he felt like running by himself to the castle because he just wanted to get there as fast as possible. 

 

"Mister, can you please hurry up." He was almost surprised by the desperation he heard from his tone. He wondered if it was the fireballs that put a spell on him.

 

The carriage driver looked back at him questioningly but complied nonetheless.

 

When they arrived, there was someone waiting for him on the courtyard probably a maid sent by the Prince to get him.

 

"The Prince's room is in the left wing--"

 

It was impolite but he didn't let her finish. He ran quickly towards the castle and navigated through the maze of corridors and halls. He already knows where he is as he already gave him the directions. The metal ball on his hand has started heating the moment he stepped down from th carriage.

 

Finally, Jeonghan reached the enormous double doors. He didn’t even bother knocking. Heart hammering in his chest, he entered with the same urgency as that of an eagle in action.

 

The first thing he saw was the Prince himself; still wearing the clothes he left the mansion with, already halfway his room towards the door.

 

"Did you feel it too?" were the first words the Prince uttered. He said it carefully, unsure.

 

Jeonghan nodded, releasing the breath he didn't know he was holding.

 

The Prince thread the remaining distance between them, stopping when there's only a foot separating them. The prince expression mirrored his. It was of wonder and realization mixed with relief.

 

Jeonghan reached over, wanting to make contact. His fingers tugged the front of the robes of the man before him. Suddenly, he was flooded with emotions, too unfamiliar to even make sense of it. What he knows he was longing for him all along. And he was the cause of his anxiety.

 

It was when he tried to understand that feelings that reason took over.

 

"I'm... I'm sorry." He squeaked retracting his fingers. A million of questions emerged in his mind. Why was he feeling that way? What was even happening?

 

He saw him bring up his hands also as if he wanted to touch but he stopped midway. Somehow, it feels like they both new, that there was something wrong with the action.

 

"What is happening?" Jeonghan said bordering hysterical. It unnerved him how he wasn’t in control with his actions.

 

The Prince looked lost too and Jeonghan knew that he was frustrated based on the way his hands clench and unclench at his side.

 

Does he really feel the same way I’m feeling? I just want to be closer...

 

For a few seconds, they just stared at each other as if they can find the answer in each other's eyes. Then finally the Prince spoke,

 

"Rest for now. We'll consult the oracle tomorrow."

 

"There's no need for that. What happens in this room stays in this room. It has always been like that." The oracle uttered in somewhat staccato fashion after the Prince suggested conducting a secrecy pact. It was very dim and Jeonghan can barely see his face. However, it was very evident with the way he spoke that he was of old age.

 

The Prince looked at him with sharp eyes as if debating whether to argue or not.

 

"Then let’s start." He said his voice echoing in the big dome shaped room. There was nothing in it. Just a big table and a simple metal chair placed on the center of the room which the oracle was sitting on. On the table were various things, most of which Jeonghan hasn't seen before. Bordering each side were fire lamps and on the center was a wide metal tablet.

 

Jeonghan glanced at the Prince and in the dark with only the fire lamps giving light, the bags under his eyes were much more prominent. He wondered if he the Prince got any sleep last night. Because he didn't. He stayed up thinking, thinking and thinking.

 

"Pick your question very well. One is the limit until the next cycle of the moon."

 

Only one?!

 

He’s about to blurt the top question but stopped himself. It wasn’t his place to be that eager when the Prince was beside him.

 

There was a  few second of silence before the Prince spoke “Why were we feeling this strange…” He stopped for a moment as if choosing his words carefully. Jeonghan swore he can see some red tinting his cheeks. “…attraction to one another?” he continued.

 

Was it attraction? Jeonghan wondered. All he knows was that he yearned to be physically close and that seeing the Prince the night before lifted away the heaviness that was consumin him.

 

Wasting no time, the oracle rubbed his hands together then spread it like an eagle. He then gathered fire from the lamp with his hands and in a very fast motion, slapped them with great force down the table.

 

The oracle kept his head down as he hovered his hands on the tablet and moved them as if he's caressing it. A trail of red sizzling and hot appeared on the parts his hands reached. Jeonghan tried to follow the pattern but stopped shortly after his hands moved very fast it even made him dizzy.

 

Suddenly, his hands halted right at the very center. They were overlapping both hovering at a single spot.

 

A red star the size of his palm appeared briefly on the metal tablet below his hands. Then with no warning a burst of dust exploded from it.

 

Jeonghan covered hi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter