Hercules

Star-Crossed
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

hi im not ded yet

 

Mingyu stopped by the door taking in the scene that welcomed him in the dining hall. Princess Tzuyu was there with her own two personal servants standing at her left, which didn’t surprise him. She was wearing an attire fit for a trip to the lake, which they agreed on yesterday. But then sitting across her was Jeonghan, sheepishly nibbling down on a slice of bread. He looked around and he can see a similarly confused group of servants at the side—probably wondering why Jeonghan receives a different treatment than the rest of them. The situation felt wrong considering how the princess went about the customs of servants yesterday.

 

“Good morning, my Prince.”  Was Princess Tzuyu’s greeting when he reached his seat at the end of the table. He raised an eyebrow at her greeting, eyes flickering for a second to his long-haired boy. He was looking down at his food, and a glance can tell that he was not okay—with his hair disheveled and untied properly, to his crumpled robes. Suddenly like that, it felt like his morning was ruined. Frustration coming in because of his lack of freedom to just ask—to know if he’s feeling well, and if not, to make sure he is.

 

“I… “  Princess Tzuyu paused and turned to him with a slight smile. “I was still feeling bad about my order yesterday.  I realized I was too immersed in my own nation’s custom. So I invited him to join us for breakfast.”

 

“Yes,” he nodded, acknowledging it, “but by that logic, you should have invited everyone too,” he motioned to the servants lining up the side.

 

She saw her pursed her lip. And seeing it, he reminded himself again to be gentler with his words. Not everyone can take the sharpness of his tongue.

 

“So, when do you want to take off for the lake?” he tried to change the subject. Thankfully, the Princess seemed to light up.

 

“I actually have nothing to do this morning. So we can just leave after breakfast. I miss the waters…” She then giggled. The sound of it clear and like music to the ears. From his peripheral view, he saw Jeonghan looked up. 

 

“Also, I want Jeonghan to come too as we might need assistance…”

 

He looked at the two servants beside her, jutting his chin at them, “Aren’t they coming?”

 

“They are. But I haven’t really had the time to know him last night.”

 

He was alarmed at her sudden proposition. Why does she need to know him? Did she notice something last night.

 

Knowing what happened yesterday, the awkward air that ensued with all of them in the carriage, he prefers for Jeonghan to just stay in the mansion. It will be better option for both of them emotionally. But he decided to keep mum, giving attention to the poached eggs a servant gave him to avoid raising suspicions.

 

When he looked up, the princess was intently looking at his face, right at the lower side. But before he can even ask, her hand was on his cheek, thumb swiping at his lower lip.

 

He was startled by the action, jolting and head whipping back a little. The concerned expression on her face only furthering his alarm.

 

“Mingyu, what happened? You have a bruise on your lip…”

 

Bruise on his lip?

 

Oh.

 

He grabbed her hand immediately—gently and keeping it within his grip on the table.

 

He can feel his face heating up and he was thankful that the Princess seemed to divert her attention on their linked hands.

 

“I accidentally bumped my it on…a shelf on the way here.”

 

At his side, he can feel Jeonghan’s eyes on his. But he did not risk looking at him. He wondered if he remembers… If he’s aware.

 

He’s the true culprit. Of the bruise on his lip.  The memory of how he gave it to him sending a weird feeling on his stomach.

 

The princess giggled again. She was still looking at their joined hands, regarding it with a shy look.

 

“Okay, just be careful next time.”

 

 

 

After breakfast, Jeonghan did not bother going back to his room. He just went to find a shiny surface, looking at himself and brushing his hair back roughly. He smoothened out the tangles; using the tie he pulled from his wrist to put it into a tight bun.

 

He doesn’t know but he feels so lethargic. Basing on the appearance he found on his reflection, he knows he looks like a mess. He needs a bath, at least. But then, just raising his hands feels like so much effort…

 

He feels like he is an aftermath of a sickness. Not really feeling bad, but at the same time, feeling like he needs to rest on bed for a day.

 

Is this what hangover feels like?

 

He went straight to the carriage, deciding to just wait there. He stopped in his tracks surprised to see the Mingyu already sitting inside the carriage. He looks like he was deep in thought, with his legs crossed and fingers of one hand placed on his temple.

 

He was able to tell when exactly he spotted him, because he immediately stood up and with careless action that made the carriage visibly tilt, made his way down in front of Jeonghan.

 

He froze when the other engulfed him in his arms. Strong arms that caged him tightly close to him.

 

“Uhh…” he pushed him a little, eyes immediately flickering to his environment.

 

What is he thinking? They were out in the open!

 

And also... he was not able to take a bath yet—dust and dirt from yesterday’s adventure still clinging to his body.

 

Mingyu complied immediately but his hold did not falter. He brought his hands, which were by then sitting on his shoulders, up to cradle his face. For a minute they just stood there, just looking at each other silently while Mingyu placed gentle touches on his cheek.

 

There was a kind of look--gentle and soft but he knows this was not normal. Different from the times Mingyu looked at him when he decides to make Jeonghan feel his affection for him. This time as if he was looking at a lost puppy.

 

Jeonghan started to worry. “Is there something wrong?”

 

He did not answer. Instead he held his arm, sliding his hand down it and then stopping at the back of his hand.

 

“Can I have a request?”

 

He didn’t know what was happening but he nodded nonetheless.

 

Mingyu held his hand on his, tracing his fingers to his palm, taking the time, to thumb on his callouses.  Jeonghan had the urge to pull back. His hand… its not exactly pretty. Rough and so opposite to Mingyu’s, whose hands felt like silk.

 

“Please… don’t hold fire again. Not until you have your peritia.”

 

Jeonghan thought it through. Off all the things they can talk about while they were alone, Mingyu chose this topic. Surely, there was a reason behind it.

 

He watched him closely. And the answer came to him immediately when Mingyu’s face morphed into a different expression.

 

He now has this expression—like there was something bothering him. He knew him, and he certainly knew that look. He’s given him many times before when they first met. There was undeniably a hint of anger in there—a negative reaction.

 

Has Mingyu started to notice his flaws? Was he starting to notice their differences?

 

This time Jeongahn did not hold back—pulling his hand aggressively, balling it to a fist and clutching it to his chest. He was hurt. How can he go about his flaw like that. 

 

This was not because of his peritia… the callouses, it was brought by years of work, Mingyu was not familiar with.

 

Mingyu was surprised. Eyes filling with concern and confusion, at the same time his mouth widen.

 

But he wasn’t able to inquire his sudden change of demeanor because of the sound that suddenly filled the air.

 

The princess with her two servants appeared at the corner. Thankfully, the positions they were in did not look like out of the ordinary. It even looks like Mingyu was scolding him.

 

The princess approached them with jump on her step. “Everything’s ready?”

 

Mingyu nodded, composing himself from his startled state.  Instantly the princess towed him away. He did not miss, however, how the Princess’ eyes lingered on his for a second.  He figured he might have caught her attention because aside from looking hung-over, he surely looked upset—like a servant reprimanded by his master.

 

He’s really outdone himself.

 

I have asked them to prepare two carriages, the Princess announced cheerfully.

 

“Why?” Mingyu asked, distracted.

 

“It’s so hot in here. And too many people in one carriage can get too stuffy. I’m sure it will be more comfortable for all of us.” The Princess reasoned. “They can ride here,” she said to Mingyu while motioning towards the carriage already present. “The carriage for us is arriving soon.”

 

Jeonghan followed Princess Tzuyu’s servants immediately, keen to get away from Mingyu’s presence. He ended up by the side of the window, slumping down and crossing his balled hands to his chest.

 

After minutes of waiting, he peered a little at the window, wondering what’s taking them long when he already heard the stomping of horses that brought the other carriage.

 

He found the two huddled together and it seemed like the Princess was showing something to the Prince.

 

Jeonghan gulped, the weight on his chest feeling heavier. He leaned back down on his seat. He rubbed on his eyes getting mad at himself for having this reaction. He tried to reason out like what he always do but right now he can’t just bring himself.

 

He was tired and sensitive and he just wants to get to bed. His mind wandered to when he got the last full hours of sleep. And his mind went straight to his home, to his bed, and then to his mother who would sometimes make him tea to make him sleep better.

 

Being a servant, he can’t have the privilege of long sleep anymore. He was required to stay up late to make up for his missed duties when he goes to academy. After going out of Mingyu’s room, he’d scrub bathrooms, put out the washed plates and sometimes even wash them. He wasn’t knew

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter