Andromeda

Star-Crossed
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The air felt nice. Jeonghan can feel it seeping not only through his perfectly tied robes cooling his skin, but also into the inner spaces of his mind clearing it from stress. It was a good idea to go up the tree—his tree, particularly the sixteenth one past the corner of the Great Gateway. He made sure to enjoy the last of the spring breeze before the humid air of the summer takes over.

 

From his spot he can see the center of the town and in there, he can spot people from his neighborhood, mostly boys and girls of his age crowding over an enormous fire pit placed at the very center of the town square. They were filling it with wood, creating a gigantic pile of fire fuel to be lit later at midnight to commemorate the coming of Sun God to the Fire Nation.   The Sun God, one of the many gods that govern their world, does not come literally to these festivals but of course, he would be flattered and hopefully, he would not “forget” to spool the clouds out of the sun’s way and conveniently “gift” rain everyday for a year this time around just like he did before to the starving citizens of the Fire Nation when they skipped the festival once.

 

Of course Jeonghan knew that he should help, it has always been in the traditions. But maybe, just maybe, he can slip from duty this year. They were always taught in school that the celestial gods monitor everything the mortals do and they were quick to be insulted. Then they do subtle things to up the offender. Jeonghan figured that if it indeed was true, then he’ll suffer through it. The festive noise from the people who never hold back from saying or expressing things becoming too much for him.

 

He was about to close his eyes when “Jeonghan hyung!” a squeaky voice bellowed from below him.

 

He squeezed his eyes shut and pretended not hear because really can’t he get a quiet moment?

 

“JEONGHAN HYUUUNG!“ It was Chan, his little brother. Probably sent by his mother to fetch him.

 

“Mother said he can see you up there from our house! She said you can’t skip the festival. You’ll offend the gods if you do!”

 

The boy called him for about four times more. And Jeonghan thought that there was no chance he could sleep through it. He considered leaping down at the fifth to shut him up. However instead of the loud voice from his brother, it was an uncomfortable silence that followed and he knew that the kid was plotting something. He actually became curious. He was about to look down when a surge of weird sensation overcame him.

 

It was strange and he knew that he shouldn’t be feeling something like that. It was all too fast and he had the urge to hold out his hands, palms out, in front of his chest as if it’s a reflex. He felt no force, just a slight breeze around his fingers. He grasped around and when he looked down, he was surprised to see an apple, bruised around the area where his fingers meet the flesh. He brought it up, heart beating strangely fast as he examined it with curious eyes.

 

"What the hyung, How did you do that?” He looked down to see Chan, face bright with amazement and hands fumbling with a basket of apples on the ground. He realized that it was Chan who threw the apple that was now at his hand.

 

He ignored the question because he too didn't have an idea. “Thanks for the apple,” he said instead as he tried to conceal his surprise. “And don’t ing curse, you’re still a minor.” He bit down on the apple and gracefully swung himself down from the branch he was standing up on.

 

“Brother, you’re so weird. Who even falls asleep standing up?”  the other inquired, looking at him incredulously.

 

“Its not weird. It’s a skill,“ he said as he fixed the ties of the fire red robes his mother made him wore for the festival. “Let’s go,” he suggested thankful that Chan didn’t notice how his voice shook due to what happened earlier. His mind was surely blown but he didn’t want to talk about it with Chan. He didn’t want to give him more reasons to think about how strange he was.

 

“And what’s with these apples?” he asked.

 

“Oh, these? I’m going to give these to the Prince.” Chan replied excitedly.

 

“The Prince?” Jeonghan said tilting his head and squinting his eyes. He has never seen the Prince of the Fire Nation despite him being a popular topic among the townspeople. Jeonghan learned before that he tends to do rotation in the attendance of the Fire festivals. But the fire nation has over 50 towns. He never expected that he’d see him too soon.

 

“Yeah. I heard from the neighbors that this year he chose our town to come for the celebration. Mother said I probably won’t see him since he’s a busy person but you said that I should be ready at all times so I rushed to the market to buy some in case I do meet him. The store boss said I was lucky because these were the last batch,” he took a deep breath before he continued to another set of ramblings. “You know what, my teacher said that the gods hold the fire nation prince higher on their favors more than the princes from the other nations since you know, he’s really powerful and stuff. The gods must know I’m going to give these to the prince.   Oh my, can you imagine meeting him. I’m so excited!" he took a deep breath then continued, "Father said that when he turned eighteen, he acquired this really amazing powers because the gods loved him so much. But he said that it was so complex so he wasn’t able to explain it. I can’t wait to turn 18 myself, I wonder what peritia I would have,” Chan ranted while he skipped beside Jeonghan as they trekked towards the town.

 

His brother proceeded to ramble some more as he stared off at the distance. He kept quiet, he always did when the topic of peritia was brought up. He looked at his hands and wondered why his skill hasn’t shown up yet when he already turned 18 two months ago. Usually, indications of peritiashow up months before a person’s birthday. However, Jeonghan hasn’t felt anything that shows close connection with fire. He can’t even touch it without burning.

 

When they reached the center of town his mood dipped even lower and all he wanted was to go back because there were just so many people there. And maybe he should’ve expected that with all the years he experienced going to the festival. Tonight, however, the plaza was exceptionally crowded with people hustling and bustling about. The rumors must be true—the prince will come tonight.

 

“Hey, isn’t that someone from your class? Go say hi!” Chan said prodding Jeonghan after spotting someone from afar.

 

“Are you kidding me?" Jeonghan exclaimed pulling Chan out of the view. “Who even wants to meet their classmates outside?”

 

“Everyone?” Chan replied as if it’s an obvious fact. “Oh wait I just saw Yoonyoung over there. I’ll just say hi! See you later!” he exclaimed before Jeonghan can even squeeze a word in.

 

The kid is such a social butterfly, Jeonghan thought. Or maybe everyone here was a social butterfly. He was the weird one. He remembered when he was young, he complained to his mother how he can’t seem to have fun with other people.She told him that he’s still a caterpillar and soon his wings will come out. What now? It seemed like he got delayed inside the cocoon.

 

However, it was actually kind of pleasant and freeing with Chan leaving him alone. Well unless you count in the intensely heavy basket of apples he forgot and left for Jeonghan to carry. He took the time and enjoyed his solitude as he walked down the maze of cobblestone alleys away from the center hall. He was surprised with the increased number of stalls offering a variety of treats and goodies lining down the pathways. This year, the storeowners did a whole lot of effort to decorate the stalls with each boasting in one way or another the fire nation’s emblems. Some were even specifically sporting the insignia of the three signs under the Fire nation - Aries, Leo and Sagittarius.

 

Jeonghan squeezed his way through the storm of evidently jovial people that were waving some kind of red strip of cloth and towards the stall with his sign, the Aries. The poles that hold it together was decorated with various wooden ram embellishments. The store was filled with Aries tokens. There were wooden ones, some were metals and catching Jeonghan’s attention were the glass varieties cased within purple velvet cushions.

 

“Don’t do it, kid. Unless you’re a royalty or something,” the boss of the shop sneered at him while eyeing his common robes when he was about to reach for the glass sculpture of a ram head.

 

Jeonghan huffed. Why put it on display then? He was about to complain for he doesn’t tolerate any discrimination or injustice when he heard some yelling at the store two stalls down.

 

“I told you sir! Someone bought these already!” a shrilly voice yelled. Jeonghan walked slowly towards the commotion and stood on his tippy toes to get a better view on what’s happening.

 

"I can pay it double if you want. Just give me some apples, goddamit!” a man with sharp features but looked like on the verge of crying yelled back.

 

“Sir! I’m sorry but I can’t. These are already paid.” The store helper said with a deafening finality.

 

The man who was obviously not from this town based on th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter