Orion

Star-Crossed
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jeonghan's first instinct was to hold the metal ball before he realized that no, there’s no more Mingyu there to come for him and that all he's probably going to get is a grumpy Wonwoo who'll be mad at him for disturbing his sleep.

 

So he did the next best thing, he called out for Hansol.

 

Thankfully, he heard shuffling from the forest immediately. Not even a second has passed when Hansol emerged running from the trees, a knife ready in his hands.

 

He saw the way Hansol stop in his tracks when he saw them. Unexpectedly, his alert eyes turned into that of recognition and he bowed in greetings to them.

 

The fairies did the same.

 

At his left, he also saw how Wonwoo stirred in his sleep, the loud commotion waking him up.

 

“Who are they?” He asked Hansol, still confused at the current situation. He looked over at them, observing their features. They were light-haired and their eyes reminded Jeonghan of the color of the sea, some, the pink carnations... orange sky when the sun's about to set... just... all things magical. Their silver clothes which clung to their bodies like second skin, change a shade when they move and the light hits them differently.

 

“I didn’t know fairies exist," he said in complete fascination.

 

Hansol’s eyes widened in surprise at his statement before a small smile appeared on his face.

 

“They’re not fairies, your highness,” he said and he can hear a hint of laughter in his tone. “They're soldiers from the Air Nation. They would you to a safer place.”

 

Before he could process what he said, one of them came forward.

 

“Is he the prince?” he asked, curious eyes settling on him.

 

When Hansol nodded, all of them immediately knelt before him, their head bowed low similar to Hansol’s gesture the day before.

 

"I am Soonyoung, your highness. With me are my best soldiers. We were tasked to meet you at the borders and bring you safe to the queen."

 

"Are we late?" Hansol asked.

 

Soonyoung hummed. "Enough for us to decide to meet you here instead."

 

"The long trip has drained the prince. We decided to stop for a while to rest."

 

“Understood," Soonyoung replied, showing no emotion. "However, you could’ve at least provided a much more comfortable space for him to lie down on," he said eyeing the spot where Jeonghan was still currently slumped down.

 

He got up and brushed himself off dirt, getting surprised when Soonyoung suddenly came extremely close in front of him.

 

“I was told I’d meet him safe and intact,” Soonyoung said, “How do you explain this?” he asked, raising Jeonghan’s arm to expose the gash he got when he fell from going down the horse yesterday.

 

“I’m not that smart but I know he wouldn’t die from that,” Wonwoo said boredly, awake now, attention fixed on brushing the dirt that clung to his clothes. He went over to Hansol and stood by his side.

 

Soonyoung turned to him, eyes emotionless, before they lit up in recognition

 

“Ahh, I know you,” he said, a flat smile appearing on his face.  “The infamous Jeon Wonwoo.”

 

At the statement, Wonwoo scowled.

 

“An excellent soldier,” Soonyoung commented. “But still emotional it seems.” He then sighed, shaking his head like he’s disappointed. “Please don’t let your own bitterness hinder you from getting your work done properly.”

 

Jeonghan frowned, confused at the comment and how Wonwoo seemed to turn red at the exchange. He can’t help but interrupt. “They have done more than enough to get me here. And I am extremely grateful.”

 

His words were effective in shifting Soonyoung’s attention to him. “I understand your highness. We’ll take over. After you have eaten, it’s best to start riding again. ”

 

Jeonghan started preparing himself, ate as much as he could manage before Soonyoung went to him again to tell him that they should leave soon.

 

“Aren’t you coming, Hansol?” Jeonghan asked when he saw the guard get on a horse without him.

 

“Yes, but you will ride with them. I will follow close behind, your highness."

 

“But why?”

 

“I'm afraid that they are not too fond of soldiers from the Fire Nation. I will be nearby when you need me.”

 

Jeonghan frowned. “Please ride with me,” he requested, not excited about the prospect of riding with people he just met. Hansol was the only one he was comfortable being with and there were some questions he wanted to ask him.

 

Hansol looked at him hesitantly before he glanced at the Air Nation Soldiers. He looked like he was carefully weighing down his options. Jeonghan continued to look at him with a pleading gaze and then finally, he nodded.

 

“As you wish."


 

 

Hansol has been assigned with a lot of challenging tasks before but this one has put the most pressure on him. He breathed out, willing himself to do what he’s always done when he’s doubting himself. He just needed to remind himself what was asked of him-- that is, to bring the prince safely to the borders.

 

Such simple instruction and yet Hansol found himself unsure of what to do. 

 

They just commenced moving again after an advice from Soonyoung. Although reluctant, the prince forced himself from the ground onto the horse. At first he was obedient--riding silently behind him even though Hansol knew he was far from being alright. But as they traveled, Hansol felt the prince leaning down against his back, the weight getting heavier and heavier by the second. He was sure that behind him, the prince must be tired and uncomfortable.

 

“Are you alright?” he asked.

 

“Yes, I am fine,” the prince said despite the obvious strain in his voice.

 

There was an urge to stop to let him recover on stable ground but he also knew that they we’re short on time. There was nothing he could do but slow down a little and even then he was aware of the snaps of the heads of the Air Nation soldiers towards their direction.

 

“We’re almost there your highness,” he tried to say even though he knew that there are hours more of traveling ahead of them.

 

“Hansol,” he heard him call out after some time. “My chest...”

 

Hansol whipped out a flower from his pocket with hand, tucked it in his mouth so he could use a hand to light it up with a matchstick. He held it in his side as he maneuvered the horse with another hand, letting the wind carry the smoke towards the prince.

 

There was a little moment of quiet. Hansol thought it was effective, before he heard a whimper coming from behind him.

 

"This is not enough," the prince said, breath hitching. 

 

Hansol took another one before he felt tugging on his sleeve.

 

"That’s not what I meant,” the prince said, annoyance evident in his tone which surprised Hansol. Nonetheless, he noticed the weight on his back disappear. He hoped that meant that the other was feeling better.

 

“You have to turn back Hansol. You have to bring me back there.”

 

It was a sudden request that made Hansol confused.

 

“Is something the matter, your highness?"

 

“I need to see him,” there was a kind of desperation in his tone. “I can’t do this anymore.”

 

If Hansol didn’t knew the prince then, he would have taken the request as something he would have no trouble understanding. Behind him was a man who was miles away from someone he loves. It was a reasonable plea from someone who was yearning.

 

But he has seen the way he cried out of guilt, has seen the resolve in his eyes when he chose to finally involve himself with the king and queen’s plan. Prince Jeonghan wanted nothing of what was happening right now but he saw him push himself, forcing himself to be away from Prince Mingyu despite the numerous difficulties they have encountered in the journey.

 

To hear

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter