Gemini

Star-Crossed
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

HI :-)

 

A clink as Mingyu’s spoon hit the floor shattered the awkward air inside the private dining hall.

 

“Marriage?” A frown made a way into his face. “The prophecy says nothing of marriage.”

 

Kim Namgyu kept his smile but Mingyu knew that look. One he’s too familiar with and appears only in front of guests to keep a sophisticated façade. A fire nation royalty should keep his composure and should remain respectful at all times. But Mingyu has been failing to give even the most basic courtesy throughout the meeting.

 

“But of course, I’m only suggesting something that would make this easier.” He said behind a tight smile. “To be honest, I can’t see any other way around but this.”

 

Mingyu picked up a piece of cut potato, looking at it briefly to heat it slightly. He was annoyed that his father can make such a sudden suggestion without discussing it with him beforehand. He then turned his eyes to the main person of the lunch. “What do you think about this, Princess Tzuyu?”

 

Princess Tzuyu blinked as if surprise that she was asked about the matter. She has been lively at first but she suddenly turned quiet. She’s an open book and anyone can see her discomfort. Perhaps it’s his fault. He’s been greatly unparticipative. Too different than the annual meetings they had after the announcement of the prophecy to both of them just as they reached puberty. But then, with the appearance of Jeonghan to his life, it’s not the same now.

 

“I think… Mingyu is right.” She said carefully. “I don’t think we are quite ready for it.” He smiled a little, grateful that the Princess had this kind of sense in her. But then, the other continued talking.

 

“Perhaps its too early. Which leads me to think that I should take the time to know him first. When I turn eighteen, I’m sure we’ll know what to do. There will be change.”

 

So now, I am asking for your permission your majesty,” she turned to the King and Queen with a refreshed expression, “and of course, Mingyu, If you may allow me to spend my time longer here. Even without the prophecy, I would like to know Mingyu better.  Personally, I have a great interest in him.”

 

 

Jeonghan kicked the stones he found on the way to the gate. The day wasn’t just the same without Mingyu there. Even though they weren’t interacting at the academy, his presence comforted him. And sometimes they would share some meaningful looks, in which Mingyu would give him a small smile, something that is unnoticeable to someone who doesn’t really know him. It was something that would make Jeonghan’s youthful heart flutter.

 

And knowing the reason why he’s not there, made him all the more sadder.

 

He stopped beside some fire torches lining up the pathway. Today he’s been scolded. He’s been asked to perform his peritia in front of the class and he just stood there dumbly. The woman, who was normally jovial and merry, took the time to reprimand him in front of the class, saying how he doesn’t even practice and help himself progress. It was unfair. She herself doesn’t even help Jeonghan discover his skill as most of the time he just finds her just chatting happily with the students or up to Mingyu and not actually teaching. Also, she was not even the official instructor for the class, as he remembered how she said the first day that it was supposedly the headmaster. She notified them the second time they met that his trip was extended. Jeonghan wondered why.

 

He brought his hands up and tried to scoop up some fire. But not even five seconds has passed when he feel the familiar burn. He pulled out his hands, cursing under his breath.

 

He tried again, this time giving all his focus. This should be easy, and people would tell him, that they don’t even think about the process when they do it. He placed his hand into the fire again, enduring the pain of the heat. He lasted a little longer but to no avail. He brought up his hands, shrieking when the pain of what he’s done came all at once when the air hit them.

 

“Jeonghan!” A familiar voice called him. He looked up, scrambling to hide his hands behind his back.


Seungcheol arrived and based on his concerned expression, he’s seen what he just did.

 

“Jeonghan… you shouldn’t force it. “

 

He said nothing, pursing his lips to stop a sob from escaping his lips.

 

“Let me see it.” He said as he gently pulled on Jeonghan’s arms.

 

He examined them carefully. And Jeonghan himself was able to see how red they were.

 

“Gods.  How long did you put it in there?” Seungcheol asked cradling his hands on his own.

 

“Ahhh!” he screamed when the other gave it a light .

 

Seungcheol sighed. “Come on,” He said towing Jeonghan back down the path. They arrived at a small well and Jeonghan pushed down his hands under the water.

 

Jeonghan gave a little whine. “Hmmm. That feels good.”

 

Seungcheol laughed at him. “Next time, don’t do that again. Your hands are too pretty to have blisters on it.”

 

“You know, you don’t really have a say on what I do with my hands.”

 

"Yes that is true. But I’m your friend and friends don’t let each other do stupid things."

 

“It's not stupid.”

 

“Yes it is. And you know it.” Seungcheol gave him a look. “You know there are other ways to practice which doesn’t involve hurting yourself, right? Do you want me to help you practice?”

 

For a brief moment, Jeonghan recalled of the conversation he had with Mingyu the other night and a smile appeared on his face.

 

“Don’t be too happy about it. I charge.” Seungcheol said in a teasing tone.

 

“Okay. But whose happy?” Jeonghan retaliated with the most sour expression he can form with his face.

 

Seungcheol laughed at him, pinching his cheeks. “You’re too cute.” Before Jeonghan can even react, Seungcheol was already formulating a plan. “I can help you on weekends, and also after class. How about today? I have nothing to do later.”

 

“I have an errand to do at the castle today.” It was not true though. Jeonghan just wanted to go home as early as possible.

 

“Oh that’s okay. We can just go home together and I can just give you some tips. The Prince is not here right? So you will go home alone?” He rambled on as he loosened a tie from his robes. He suddenly pulled one forcefully and then another one, from his sleeves, both ripping off in a swift motion.

 

Jeonghan thought it through. He’s aware of the Mingyu’s jealousy on Seungcheol. But then he’s already explained that he’s just a friend.  So surely, this will not be an issue. Plus his peritia is the main issue there. And Jeonghan desperately needs help.

 

“Okay. I plan to walk though.” Last night, Mingyu has told him that he was thinking of an excuse to send a carriage to the academy to fetch Jeonghan without him there but then he greatly insisted to that he should just walk. A servant riding a carriage without his master is too hard to explain to anyone who might see it.

 

“What are those for?” He motioned to the strips of cloth Seungcheol was looping on his arm.

 

“For your hands.” Seungcheol answered as if it’s an obvious thing.

 

Jeonghan frowned. “You don’t have to do it. I can manage.”

 

“Don’t be stupid. You don’t want that tender skin touching anything. You’ll thank me later.”

 

 

“But how did you do it before?” Seungcheol asked him just after they exited out of the academy gates.

 

“Huh?”

 

“You’ve shown your peritia before. In class.”

 

Jeonghan reddened. “Ahhh. I don’t really know what happened there either.” He replied hesitantly. Jeonghan has already been asked to show his peritia before. And for some unknown reasons, he was able to do it. He was so happy, and he immediately looked for Mingyu’s eyes to share his surprise. But then he found him smirking at him, smug and suspicious. And he knew it. It was Mingyu’s doing—secretly placing a fire generated by his own peritia over his hands.

 

Mingyu has told him it was only his intention to help him but Jeonghan refused to talk to him for a day. He was mad—both from disappointment and by the fact that it was a form of cheating. But then the other came up to him with a rose and a promise that he will not do it again and Jeonghan was quick to forgive him.

 

“Maybe you should recall the feeling of it.” Seungcheol advised.

 

Before Jeonghan can make up an excuse, thumping sounds filled the air, and then a golden carriage emerged from a bend around the road. He stilled, knowing immediately whose it was.

 

Jeonghan frowned, wondering for a moment if Mingyu proceeded with his plan to send him a carriage.

 

He recognized the Sagittarian driver immediately, saluting to him as the horse skidded to a stop.

 

“Oi! You should have told me you were walking home. I just sent an errand boy to the market. He should be back by now. If you want you can wait for him here. The mansion is quite far…” the driver bellowed in his loud voice. Oh so he was not there to fetch him. Thank gods.

 

“But wait, who is this boy here? Oh how rude of me. Are you having a private conversation?” the driver sent him a knowing smile, his eyes travelling down to where their hands are still linked. Seungcheol was helping him cover his hands with the cloth.

 

Jeonghan immediately pulled his hands from him Seungcheol, “No! were just—“

 

Suddenly, someone opened the window revealing its riders. It’s Mingyu and sitting close beside him, is Princess Tzuyu.

 

Oh.

 

Mingyu was looking at him weirdly, an expression he haven’t seen before. His ears were so red. And if this were any other time, he would about it. Yet, Jeonghan can feel his mouth drying up.

 

He then felt Seungcheol’s hand slide up his arm pulling him down to bow down.

 

“Your majesty. Princess Tzuyu.” He heard Seungcheol greet them. His tone was high, full of enthusiasm. Jeonghan glanced at him and he saw that his eyes were shining. They were excited.

 

And then suddenly, Seungcheol’s eyes widened at the same time he dropped his hold on his arm.

 

“Ahh!”  he screamed and then immediately covered his mouth to stop it. His face turned red like a tomato. Jeonghan can tell he w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter