Perseus

Star-Crossed
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

AN: 

ing FINALLY.

i said i need to update even at least once before the year ends and here we are, i am posting a few hours before 2019.

i'm really thankful and sorry to all who's been waiting. i have no excuse. it has been months!

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE! I LOVE U ALL.

 

!!!!PLEASE READ

NOTE: the chapter except the last part (u'll know when u read) goes back before they were caught. but i only italicised the 1st paragraph because i don't want to italicised the whole thing.

If Mingyu had a choice, he would have preferred it if he just meet his father the next day. Leaving Jeonghan alone even just for a moment didn’t sit well in his chest. The night has never scared him but the castle is too dangerous now. The place that has been his refuge all his life has now turned into something he can’t trust. He and Jeonghan are all alone and after receiving that letter, he figured there was no one in this place that he would trust with their current predicament.

 

As he walked, he reminded himself to practice his peritia as soon as possible. He must practice with the guards, sharpen his combat skills and ready himself for a fight. He’s confident about what he can do but the unknowns were far too much. It’s like he was treading on a dark path, with only asnippets of information at hand he can’t make sense of.

 

When he entered the office, his father was already there sitting behind the massive wooden table. He was gazing outside, a solemn look on his face.

 

“Father,” he started, walking forward towards the table as he took in the familiar scent of the room. It has been a while since he’s been here and the crisp smell of myrrh enveloped him like a silent welcome. For a moment, he felt like he was truly home.

 

He relished in the feeling before his father gave out a hum of recognition, his hand coming up to gesture to the chair. “Have a seat.”

 

His father’s eyes were still directed outside when he settled down. He followed his gaze there outside the huge windows that reached the ceiling and his eyes fell on the floating fireballs. The office has always had a good view of the entirety of it and he remembered how he always barged in here when he was a child just to stare at them. He took a moment to take in the beauty, reminiscing the simpler times before he cleared his throat. He can’t waste more time. Jeonghan is all alone in his room. He needs to go back there immediately.

 

It seemed however that his father was still caught up with the fireballs. Mingyu looked at him, noting how focused he was on the view outside. Somehow, it bothered him. His father has always been alert, urgency always present in his actions. A pragmatic man, the king never let time slip uselessly on his watch. Yet right now, he seemed like he was in a trance, just taking his time to gaze leisurely outside.

 

“You said we have a lot to discuss?” Mingyu asked, getting impatient.

 

“Do you remember how we got that up there?”

 

Mingyu’s eyes flickered towards the view again, his mind flying back towards the time when he was still a child. As far as he’s concerned, it has always been there. Still, there were stories he heard from the people living in the castle. It was a gift from Queen Eunjung, they said. But even knowing that, he never truly cared. A lot of people give gifts to the royal family. The matter has always seemed unworthy of discussion.

 

“It seemed impossible, isn’t it? Fire floating in air. There was no one in our nation who’s able to achieve such feat before.”

 

Mingyu stared at the King, mind suddenly racing.

 

“But she did it. Queen Eunjung did it.”

 

At the sound of her name, Mingyu stilled. To hear her name voiced out by his father at this point when they should be talking about the war sounded like a confirmation, realizing that no, his father wasn’t acting out of the ordinary. He’s always been on the topic. He knew more than Mingyu has expected him to.

 

He faced him again, waiting. Fearing that the unbothered mask he put on his face would betray him.

 

But he didn’t add anymore to add. Instead his father stood up and made his way to the door. He opened it slightly, gave out an order to a guard outside, and then closed it again, latching a lock before he faced Mingyu.

 

Somehow it all looked familiar.

 

His relationship with his father wasn’t something he can describe as harmonious. But one thing he took pride of was how the King always treated him as an equal. Mingyu was his trusted confidant, someone whose opinion matter to decisions made by the King. The fact that they never hold back in expressing themselves was the same reason why they always got into arguments.  Even then, he got the privilege of being one of the firsts to know the king’s thoughts. Frequently the first one to know the problems and plans behind a locked door like this.

 

Still, he stood up, conflicted. Because a locked door meant he was trapped here with Jeonghan alone outside.

 

“Mingyu, two queens approached me this month,” King Namgyu said, walking towards the window and stopping there.

 

Mingyu felt his heart drop to his stomach, not expecting to talk with his father about this issue the very night he returned to the castle. But he composed himself, making sure that no emotion escape his face. The man in front of him, despite being his father, is still part of his enemies right now.

 

“For what purpose?” he managed to say.

 

There was a pause, his father’s stare boring onto him like a challenge.

 

“Despite the immensely disparate intentions, they both told me the same thing,” he revealed.

 

Mingyu said nothing, just followed his father with his eyes as he studied his expression. He felt the shift in atmosphere,  the change in the way his father was looking at him telling him that they were past the senseless talk.

 

“You were hiding something,” King Namgyu stopped, clearing his throat. “Someone,” he corrected himself, “from me.”

 

Ahh so he definitely knew.

 

“Interestingly, one wants him killed,” King Namgyu continued. “Yet the other wants him protected.”

 

He felt the anger surge inside him. Without wasting anymore time, he turned his heels towards the door, the thought of Jeonghan alone in his room flooding his mind.

 

“Stop! Where are you going?”

 

“What do you need me here for?” he spat. “It seemed that you’ve already chosen who to believe in.”

 

His father has already formed an alliance with the Water Nation Queen despite getting information he himself was unaware of. He can try to change his mind. But not right now. Jeonghan is his priority. He must take him out of here as fast as possible.

 

“Stay here and listen to me,” King Namgyu insisted.

 

He ignored him and rushed towards the door.

 

“Let me out,” Mingyu hissed, turning towards his father and giving him a glare. “You know me father, I would not hesitate burning your door. So please, let me out right now.”

 

There was just silence, the only sound in the room was his harsh breathing. His father was looking at him intently like it was his turn to study him. Mingyu wondered how he looked like right now. He knew he was failing at keeping his emotions hidden, but the panic was slowly filling his chest.

 

“You brought him here?” His father suddenly asked his tone alert and surprised.

 

”Just let me out,” he said almost pleading. He pushed the door again but it didn’t budge. His father might have asked someone to block the door from outside. He reached out his hand yet before he can activate his peritia, a firm hand settled heavily on his shoulder.

 

“Mingyu,” his father continued, tone firmer when he refused to put down his hands.  “The prince needs to be protected. Tell me, did you bring him here?”

 

For a few seconds, he thought his father was talking about him before the words washed over him like cold water, taking him out from panicked state and flinging him straight to confusion. He realized his father was talking about Jeonghan.

 

He looked at his father seeking for answers before he gave out a hard gaze.

 

“Calm down and sit there,” his father ordered, his tone unexpectedly gentle despite the hint of fear emerging from his eyes. “We can’t afford you being rash right now.”

 

He hesitated at first but his father has called Jeonghan a prince. He has to know why.

 

He humored him and took a seat. His father did the same on the chair across him, pulling it closer until they were looking eye to eye.

 

“You have to tell me where the prince is right now. We must properly protect him.”

 

“I don’t trust you right now. Not when you’ve suddenly invited the whole hoard of Water Nation officials without discussing it with me first.”

 

King Namgyu sighed through his nose. “You’ve been very secretive with your activities. I was forced to formulate my own plan.”

 

“Then enlighten me father. Because I’m already a second away from burning my way out of your office,” Mingyu fumed. “Why did you call him a prince?”

 

“He’s Queen Eunjung’s son,” he revealed simply just like that. Like he didn’t just say something that can put an answer to the millions of questions that has been sitting in his mind.

 

Mingyu just stared at his father, stunned. Despite it, he forced himself to focus, tried to find whatever hint of deception he can find in the other’s eyes.

 

“How?” he asked, not truly accepting. Not now. Not when he’s still not sure who he can trust.

 

“It seemed inappropriate to talk about his whole history when he’s out there, I assume, alone and unprotected. Tell me where he is and I’ll send a guard to him,” King Namgyu proposed, tone getting more insistent. “Hansol’s here.”

 

Hansol.

 

He gave out a laugh, one devoid of humor. “You really did everything, huh?”

 

He sighed, standing up with resolve. “That wouldn’t be necessary,” he said. “I’d get him myself.”

 

 

He felt Jeonghan’s hand on his wrist, pulling his hand away from the way it was clenched tightly around his own.  “It’s fine,” the other whispered, but his eyes said otherwise. He knew Jeonghan’s afraid and he was too. So he sighed, loosening his hold from his wrist and then sliding his hand down so he can grasp Jeonghan’s.

 

“Yes, it’ll be fine,” he assured, tightening his hold when Jeonghan tried to break free from it. He must be wary of Hansol who was outside with them. But does it matter anymore? He knew Hansol would soon know anyway--that is if he didn’t already.

 

There was no turning back now.

 

He pushed the door of the king’s office, half-expecting to see a hoard of guards out to get them. But all that was there was his father who looked up from reading a paper on his table. A slight smile appeared on his face, one he can only classify as relief.

 

The king made his way towards them, stopping when he was in front of Jeonghan. He saw Jeonghan step back, clearly afraid.

 

“It is a pleasure to meet you,” King Namgyu greeted, bowing down like he was greeting someone of greater status than him.

 

Beside him, he saw Jeonghan jump at the greeting. He then imitated the gesture, bowed so lowly, that he almost pulled Mingyu with him.

 

“I feel the same, your majesty,” Jeonghan said slowly like he was unsure.

 

As he stood up, Mingyu saw Jeonghan glance outside, obviously caught up with the view of the fireballs.

 

“It’s beautiful isn’t it?”

 

Jeonghan nodded, his eyes wide and sparkling as he took in what was outside.

 

“Would you believe me If I say they’re for you?”

 

Jeonghan’s head snapped back to look at his father, expression unbelieving. He shook his head. “It’s impossible,” he muttered. “I’ve no one…”

 

King Namgyu just gave out a sad smile as he gestured towards the chair in front of his table. “Would you like to sit?”

 

“Pardon me for such a rushed meeting. I would have prepared for a more comfortable set-up. But I’m afraid this discussion can’t be postponed.”

 

“Just… tell me everything you know your majesty.”

 

For a moment, his father just stared at Jeonghan, taking him under scrutiny—a common scene he usually observe when someone takes his first visit to the castle.

 

“I wasn’t expecting for my son to bring you here,” he finally said, the drop in his voice opposite to the warm welcome he initially gave.

 

He turned his attention to Jeonghan, noting the way his eyes fell. He must have misinterpreted it, thought he was unwelcome with the way the brunt words came out harshly from his father’s mouth. But Mingyu knew better. He knew that the unmasked displeasure was directed at him—a dig to his decision-making. His father obviously didn’t approve of his choice of bringing Jeonghan here.

 

“I am afraid your safety isn’t the best here,” King Namgyu said voicing out what Mingyu suspected. “But it is too late now. They’ve seen you. Taking you out of here would be too suspicious.”

 

“The best course of action is for you stay here. But I’m afraid we would have to take strict measures so we can accommodate you. You must--”

 

“Father,” Mingyu interrupted. “You seem to be getting ahead of yourself. An explanation is what we need,” he reminded. “On why you’re doing whatever you’re doing right now.”

 

His father took a second to glare at him before turning to Jeonghan again with a serious expression.

 

“I wanted to hold back until she has the chance to tell you herself but the circumstances are quite different than what I expected to. Pardon me if there are inaccuracies on what I’m about to tell you.”

 

“She?”

 

“You’ve met her before,” his father answered. “She saw you. Kissing outside the grand hall of this very own castle…A  reckless move from the both of you,” he commented, raising an eyebrow to Mingyu’s direction.

 

Mingyu saw how quickly the blood went up Jeonghan’s face, his eyes boring into his with a pleading look like he was urging him to say something.

 

“Mingyu, you have lived all your life here. I expected you to know that there are more spare rooms that you can use for matters just like that.”

 

“A fair point,” Mingyu agreed. “But father, let’s start putting our noses to our own matters. Shall we?”

 

King Namgyu cleared his throat. “Of course.”

 

“Should I start by telling you a little bit of history? I am hoping that you’d be able to understand better if you see it from my perspective.”

 

Across him, Jeonghan nodded, the red on his face still visible in the dimly lit room.

 

“A few months before Mingyu was born, Queen Eunjung came. It wasn’t unusual to expect a visit from someone from the other nations. But there was something different. She looked different. She appeared,” his father paused as if trying to find a suitable word to describe her. “Unwell.”

 

“Her eyes looked distant. Empty,” he recalled.  “Mingyu has just came in to our lives and there were a lot of adjustments and events to attend to. We were too occupied with other things and so there were not a lot of occasions where we were able to spend time with her.  It was the servants who attended her needs that were wary of her. They said she would flinch when touched…

 

“It didn’t help that she seemed to come here without an intention. The Air Nation Queen has always been a close friend to us. It wasn’t customary to make her leave.

 

“But it came to a point when we had to. When Mingyu reached his first year, interest about the prophecy started to emerge again. There were suspicions, claims, that the prophecy points to our son. It was confirmed through the numerous visits to the oracles all over the four nations. The queen and I learned early about the precautions--everything we had to do to protect Mingyu from anyone who might attempt to put a stop to the prophecy.

 

“It wasn’t long before we realized we had to make her leave. I can still remember that exact moment. My Queen and I has just returned from a small trip to one of the cities when we saw her on one of the balcony ledge--Mingyu sitting on his lap. Her face had the most color every since she came here. It was as every bit baffling. Disturbing, as well, as it was only the two of them alone in a secluded area in the castle.

 

“But looking back, it was an innocent action as one may put it. But we were protective and Mingyu has always been the priority. We told her everything as there was no point in keeping it a secret. We made her leave. She took one meal with us, body still devoid of life, and then she was gone.

 

“Last month, she came back here. Visited me in secret and came not through the castle’s door but through my window. I am always open to discussions but showing up uninvited, I can’t say that no tables were destroyed in our little talk,” King Namgyu relayed, his fingers tracing the mahogany in front of him. Mingyu wondered what else happened that night.

 

“It didn’t help that she appeared with weapons, came in here like a true hunter. She has always been known for her agility and I did not hesitate to attack, thinking I was defending myself from an unexpected intrusion.”

 

“Let me take this time to apologize now. I used my peritia on her before she can even say her intentions.”

 

Mingyu turned his attention towards Jeonghan, studying his expression. He wondered what he felt about it. If he felt bad for someone who he only just met once.

 

“What did she say?”

 

A soft smile appeared on his father’s face. It was one Mingyu hasn’t seen often but an expression he knew all too well. It was something he did when it all becomes to much. When the King would try to calm an argument. An attempt to be a father. Like a reminder that there was more to their relationship besides being a King and his confidant

 

“She told me she found his son…”

 

“And you believed her?” Mingyu questioned. No matter how he wanted it to be true, he knew his father. He wasn’t someone who’ll believe something like that easily.

 

“At first, absolutely not. I didn’t even know she has a son,” his father answered like it was something obvious.

 

“Then how did she convince you?”

 

“I gave her time. Going through the trouble in breaking into my office seems like a lot of effort. I might as well listen to what she has to say.”

 

“She was persistent. Weaved through a story so intricate, It’s almost hard to believe. I did say she’s a friend. She has extended help to our family deserving of much more than gratitude. The least I can do was help her make sense of what she’s telling me regardless of whether I believe it or not.”

 

“She told me to see for myself. And I did. I saw your peritia. Wasn’t it not fire?”

 

“How did you see it?” Mingyu stood up, realizing something. “You were there, weren’t you?”

 

Jeonghan has only showed his peritia when he made the water at the fountain move. When he almost got caught by the fire in that cursed room.

 

“The beauty of an alliance with the other side of the wall is that you have access to what information they have.”

 

“But they hurt him. And you did nothing to stop it,” Mingyu accused.

 

“I have no choice. I had to do everything to keep the alliance intact.”

 

“But at what cost?” Mingyu countered angrily, slapping the table and leaning towards his father with a hard gaze. “They wanted him killed,” he hissed. “I find this discussion pointless when I think you would have just stood there as they continue to target him.”

 

“I was ready to intervene the moment I find it necessary,” King Namgyu said, still calm. “I had full trust in you that you wouldn’t let anything happen to him.”

 

“I can’t believe you,” Mingyu scoffed, conflicted. A gentle hand settled on his, pulling him down. He directed his attention to Jeonghan, seeing the distant look in his eyes. He was looking at Mingyu like he just heard something that broke him, his bottom lip shaking like he wanted to say something he hasn’t figured out yet.

 

It was enough to stop Mingyu, the anger in his chest quickly dissipating and becoming replaced by worry.

 

He watched the way Jeonghan’s hands tangle and untangle on his lap, the way he pursed his lips like he was hesitating, before he finally looked up and turned his attention to his father.

 

“You said she found his son?” Jeonghan asked despair and hesitation mixing in the words that came out from his mouth.

 

Oh. How foolish of him.

 

When he went here he was proud and defensive. Ready to criticize whatever move he deemed not worth of his trust. Everything he’s being told right now seemed such a wild imagining--a prospect too good to be true. It seemed obvious to weed out everything that might be of potential danger.

 

In his incessant need to criticize, he completely forgot that this wasn’t a good news to Jeonghan like it was to him. Acceptance of what his father was telling then would mean that Jeonghan can be the Libra—the Libra in the prophecy. And wasn’t it the only thing he can ever ask for?

 

But...confirming that he was Queen’s son would mean that Jeonghan just lost his identity. That everything he ever knew in his life turned out to be a massive lie.

 

Still, here’s Jeonghan, hopeful and accepting, opening himself to every piece of information available to them.

 

He sat down again, reaching out so he can curve his hand around Jeonghan’s. Somehow he didn’t know what to do next. He figured he should keep quiet, let Jeonghan steer the conversation to whatever way he wanted.

 

“She wanted to tell you herself. She knew Jeonghan. She knew the moment she saw you.”

 

“Are you telli

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter