Indus

Star-Crossed
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jeonghan’s arrival to his house created commotion within the family and for a short moment, he was able to forget the reason why he was there. He relished on the affection given to him by his mother and took the time to assure his father of his well-being in the mansion. When the excitement died down however, he was left alone with his brother Chan and was again forced to talk about the prince while pretending to be happy about it.

 

Chan was ecstatic, interest on the prince still as great as when he left for the mansion. He bombarded Jeonghan with questions, which he answered as civilly as possible, creating some distance and sharing information appropriately coming from a servant rather than someone who has been close enough to the prince to share a bed with him.

 

However when the interest extended to Princess Tzuyu and his relationship with Mingyu, he can’t help but excuse himself, reasoning that he was tired.

 

But even in his room, he can hear the loud whispers…

 

“Mother, I think our neighbors were right. I think the marriage is coming soon. Hyung won’t tell me anything. I’m so excited!”

 

Knowing Chan and his ability to talk for a long time, he knows sleep will be his only escape. Thankfully, his eyes were already drooping on their own. Can’t help feeling strange about his constant tiredness, he once again drifted off to another one of his long slumber.

 

 

Jeonghan jolted awake in the middle of the night and immediately he knew that there was something wrong. His heart was beating unusually fast and he felt too cold--the biting cold chilling his limbs, spreading painfully to his fingers and toes making his teeth chatter. He considered calling his mother but quickly convinced himself that he just caught a flu. He sat up slowly, aware of the way his body was protesting with even slight movement. Limbs feeling heavy, he tried to pull more blankets under his bed, draping them over his shoulder and then rolling over until he was completely covered as if he was in a cocoon.

 

He huffed, lying again and  as if it will magically erase the underlying ache in his body.

 

He hoped the pain would go away when the morning comes.

 

 

When he woke up again, he saw his mother hovering over him, face concerned and hands dapping on his forehead.

 

“Jeonghannie, you have a fever.”

 

He nodded which earned him a look from her.

 

“You should have woken me up,” she said with no real bite.

 

As he let his mother hustle and bustle around him, as she fed him herbal medicine and put warm cloth on his forehead, Jeonghan’s eyes flickered to his window and noted that it was still dark. If not for the continuous chirping of the chickens outside, he would have thought it was still nighttime.

 

“Did something happen at the mansion?”  The question was so sudden that it made him still for a moment.

 

“Is there a reason you asked?”

 

“Sleep first, I will tell you—“

 

“No mother, why?”

 

She must have recognized the firmness in his tone because she sighed and looked at him with a defeated look.

 

“He specifically requested me not to wake you up and told me he’ll wait for you to wake up on your own. But seeing that you’re not alright, I was hoping you can sneak in a short sleep first before you can attend to him.”

 

 Her choice of words made something in his stomach churn. “Who?” he asked urging her to continue because he needed to confirm.

 

“The prince, it’s strange gracing us with his presence when the sun has not even risen yet, but he’s outside waiting for you.”

 

 

 

 

Jeonghan can’t help the gasp when when he exited out the door. He can’t believe it. Mingyu was actually there--his back turned to him, facing his horse. It seemed like he came alone for there were no carriage around and no person to drive for him.

 

He stepped forward, accidentally stepping on a leaf--the sound it created loud enough to announce his presence. Mingyu whipped back, his first reaction seemed to be relief with the way his shoulders relaxed when they locked eyes.

 

Without wasting any more time, Mingyu moved closer. Taken aback by the urgency of the other’s movements, Jeonghan retreated a step, the action making him dizzy. Mingyu stopped too, mirroring his surprise.

 

Clutching the doorframe to stabilize himself, he took a good look at Mingyu. He looked tired, hair disheveled and robes hanging loose. It was still slightly dark outside, the soft indigo accenting the bags under his eyes, which were filled with questions.

 

In the awkward silence, Jeonghan’s mother appeared behind him, urging him to do something. He then thought how impolite he might have appeared at the outside perspective—him staring shamelessly at the prince who is supposed to deserve the utmost level of welcome.

 

“Prince,” he bowed. “What can I do for you?”

 

“Can you accompany me for a walk?” Mingyu spoke as his eyes flickered to his mother at his side.

 

Beside him, his mother tensed, and he felt her hand come up to rub his back. “Jeonghannie, are you going to be okay?”

 

 He nodded, motioning Mingyu to follow him.

 

 

Limping a little, Jeonghan led them towards an area with thicker trees. Behind him, Mingyu followed, maintaining a distance. The way he crossed his arms over his chest might have displayed his unwillingness to make contact. But glancing behind, he saw Mingyu with his hands outstretched, like he was waiting for Jeonghan to fall at any moment.

 

They haven’t gone too far when he felt Mingyu stop. Before he can ask, the other spoke. “It’s okay to talk here, Can you sit down there?” He turned to him and he saw him motioning over a large buttress with a flat surface. Mingyu might have seen his affronted expression as he quickly added a “Please?”

 

He wanted to protest, to call him out on what might be another false concern but he also knew that with his present condition, there’s a possibility that he might actually faint. So he complied, walking as fast as he can to the tree, wanting nothing but to get the conversation over as fast as possible.

 

When he was finally settled, Mingyu came closer still preserving a proper distance. He looked clueless, every movement controlled and careful. It was like a small mistake can earn him a punishment.

 

Jeonghan knew that he should be the one to speak first. It was Mingyu who lied, but the other didn’t have any idea that he knew. Jeonghan left without telling him, got away without any notice. He knew he owed him an explanation, knew he had to reason out why he don’t want to stay anymore.

 

Without beating around the bush, he looked directly at Mingyu, giving him with a look that he hoped conveyed the hurt from his betrayal, “did you have a good trip to the oracle?”

 

The words shot the air like an arrow, piercing Mingyu straight and sharp, creating a bright red shade on his cheeks. “How did you…” He stopped, gulping before he can finish. Mingyu’s mouth opened like he was about to explain but he closed it again. And then, his shoulder sagged, and for a moment, he looked like he was as tired as Jeonghan. Maybe more than.

 

“Jeonghan, It will be hard to believe me, not right now. But please know that I had you foremost in mind when I went there.”

 

“Me?” Jeonghan responded immediately before Mingyu can add anything more. He failed to see his connection, thought it ridiculous that he would be present in Mingyu’s mind during a trip arranged for Princess Tzuyu’s sake. “Please stop lying to me, Mingyu.”

 

The expression Mingyu’s face twisted into when he said that made his stomach drop. The hurt from his accusation was evident. Suddenly Jeonghan wanted nothing but to get away. To escape the Mingyu’s gloomy look that seemed to bore a hole into his heart. So he continued speaking, choosing not to dwell on the moment, so the conversation can be over -- so he can go back to his bed and away from the pressing urge to just come up to Mingyu, embrace him, and then remove the sadness from his face to replace it with anything devoid of hurt.

 

“I’ve thought I’ve made it clear. You could have easily told me the truth. You have choice Mingyu. Just tell me. It’ll hurt,” he looked down, faltering. “but I will not hesitate giving you your freedom.”

 

“It didn’t change.” Mingyu shook his head, the pained expression never leaving his face.  “It will never change.” He inhaled sharply. “It’ll always be you, Jeonghan.”

 

Mingyu must have seen his hesitance as he continued.

 

“I will tell you everything, just please, come home with me.”

 

 “I don’t have to do anything for the truth.”

 

“You would have the truth, I promise,” Mingyu paused, his eyes travelling over

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter