.01

A world for two

01.

 

"Taehyung hurry up. They are about to start!"

Taehyung looked up from the vending machine, watching him with that stupid look that was painted on his face every time he had food in his hands. Jungkook sighed, exasperated.

"I'm coming," he said as if he hadn't spent the last ten minutes arguing with that machine. Jungkook impatiently grabbed his wrist and dragged him down the hall, then to the stands.

Technically, Taehyung and Jungkook should not be there. It was the last week of school and the teachers were lecturing them on the most important subjects in view of the entrance exams for high school.

Neither Jungkook or Taehyung had found it interesting.

Jungkook was the brightest student in the class and Taehyung was just second to him. The two of them were known as a pair of winning, inseparable friends, trouble makers in-chief.

Jungkook's birthday fell in January and his parents, encouraged by the teachers, had enrolled him in school an year earlier. That was how Taehyung and Jungkook happened to be together in class, despite being born in two different years. They had been together since.
Anyway, it had been a stressful period for last year students and Taehyung had decided they deserved a distraction before the nightmare of the entrance exams. So they had skipped school to go to the cultural and sport festival of the high school to which they both had the intent to apply for.

"An inspection is a must," Taehyung said, and Jungkook didn't need to be told twice. To hell with the rules. So that morning they took their backpacks and got into another bus full of students from other high schools, who had their same destination. But they had a legitimate excuse, as they were going to compete against that school. For the two boys, it was rather a perfect opportunity to infiltrate and go unnoticed.

It had been a lot of fun until then, and the two were happy they had such brilliant idea. If high school boys were aware of two children popping out of nowhere, none of them had said or done anything about it. After all, there were more interesting things than spying on two brats.

Taehyung and Jungkook had seen, so far, a lot of workshops. They watched a football game and witnessed the semifinals and finals of the basketball tournament. Jungkook, who liked to exercise, saw that the school had excellent players and he had been watching them run up and down tirelessly on the polished parquet. When class 2 section D had won the final by beating a last year team, the gym exploded into screams of delight. Apparently, it was the home team. Judging by the ease with which they had won, Jungkook assumed some players were in the basketball club.

The speakers had announced a break of 15 minutes before the competitions of the different dance clubs began. Jungkook was thrilled because he had always loved dancing. Taehyung, however, had decided that he needed a break and had dragged him into the bathroom first, and then in search of food. This was the reason why Jungkook was dragging him, afraid of missing an important portion of the performance, thanks to Taehyung’s love for unhealthy food. When they arrived in the stands, the cheering was already loud. Luckily they had just begun the first stage. There were good dancers, and others a little less skilled, Jungkook was sure he could beat the latter in terms of technique. But everyone seemed to enjoy dancing a lot. It was during times like those that Jungkook could forget for a moment about himself and his destiny. On a dance floor there were no numbers but only steps and the skill of the dancer.

"Park Jimin, Park Jimin!" The crowd began to scream and Jungkook realized that it had to be one of the most popular dancers. Jungkook turned his gaze on the newcomer. He looked quite normal in Jungkook's eyes and he couldn't get the warmth with which he was received.

Then, he started dancing.

 

 

"You are Park Jimin,” someone said.
Jimin, lifting his gaze, met the black eyes of a boy in his twenties, who without another word, occupied the chair across from him. What amazed him wasn't just the tone used; he said Park Jimin in the tone of a person who sees someone after a long time. What also amazed him had been the general attractiveness of the boy who had spoken to him. But who else would sit at the table if not his designated number zero?

"I'm Park Jimin,” Jimin replied a bit nervous, “And you are?”
The boy rested his chin on his clasped hands. And then pointing his huge eyes on him, and Jimin found himself trembling inside.
"Jeon Jungkook,” he said.
It was just his number zero.

“Oh, well nice to meet you" Jimin said, but neither of them seemed certain of what to say next.

"I see you've already ordered. Do you mind if…?” continued Jungkook casually.

"Please, go on.” And nodding, Jungkook stopped the first waitress and ordered a cold drink. Jimin took the opportunity to observe him better, and he found in the smile of courtesy he gave to the waitress had such a young feeling. Jimin wondered if his parents had lied to him and Jungkook actually was younger than what they said.

Or maybe Jungkook was one of those people who would have had a boyish spirit even after their mid thirties, those kinds of people that seem to have a bit of sunshine inside.

Jimin blinked.

"How old are you Jungkook?" He asked in spite of himself.

"23, hyung," he answered. Jimin couldn't get used to the warm air that seemed to radiate from the boy.

"Did they tell you that I'm 26?" He asked trying to sound light. If Jungkook, who was younger than him, was trying maintain the meeting casual, then Jimin had to do the same.

“No," Jungkook said with simplicity. "To tell the truth I didn't know your name," he concluded frankly.

"Then how did you know who I was?" Jimin asked, puzzled.

Jungkook let out a smile. "Because I knew you already, hyung,” he said.

Just then, the waitress arrived with Jungkook's order, leaving a few seconds to Jimin to digest the news.

Jimin's face had to be funny because Jungkook chuckled.

"Don't laugh. I just don't know where we met? I think that I'd remember our meeting.”
I think I'd remember a face like that, Jimin meant, but it would be a bit too much, he thought, as a phrase to say on a first tentative date between zero numbers. Arranged marriage or not.

"I doubt you would remember me,” Jungkook said, sipping his drink. "We were in the same school hyung. Well, you were a last year student while I was only a freshman. So you are excused if you don't remember me,” Jungkook had concluded, jokingly.

"But you're 23 years old. Fast born?” Jimin asked, curious.
Honestly, if Jungkook was similar to his fifteen year-old self, Jimin believed he would have hardly forgot him if they had met.
Jungkook just nodded and took another sip. Jimin thought of how strange it was. Their fate. It had existed in a space-time when he and the other zero had shared a piece of life together. Jimin wondered what would have happened if he had actually known the freshman, Jeon Jungkook, back then. Then, he remembered what he did in the third year of high school and especially with who he spent his time with, and that speculation died as it was born. Of course. Min Yoongi.

"So we went to the same school, cool,” Jimin said, trying to not kill the conversation.

"Even the same dance club for that matter,” Jungkook replied. Jimin brightened.

"Oh you dance?"

"I used to dance. I stopped, "Jungkook said, this time his confidence seemed to falter a moment and Jimin regretted asking the question. Jungkook had stopped, probably for the same reason Jimin himself had stopped.

Another one of the countless injustices of their world, was that art, any form and output that could be called art, was something only number twos could pursue. Including dance.

Famous people, idols on television had to represent the society and be a source of inspiration for young people.

No one would have wanted a number zero to idolize.

The zeros were in fact able to learn and excel in artistic fields. But, they knew that those efforts would come to nothing. Given the same skill level between a great singer zero and a great singer number two, the judges would always choose the latter. And often, even when the number two was less skilled. A number zero, determined to pursue an artistic career, could fake his status and if he accepted an arranged marriage, play the part of the perfect number two. The pressure and expectation was so much that many zero broke down before being big while those who endured often ended with their career ruined once the media had discovered the truth. Therefore, zeroes had stopped trying.

Jungkook looked out the window, unsure of how to proceed. Jimin reminded himself that he was older and that it was his duty to lead.

"Mmm, what do you do for a living Jungkook? Are you student, do you work?”
Jungkook shifted his gaze on Jimin.
"Both things,” he replied, and Jimin let him talk about his studies and the part-time work he did as a clerk in a shoe store.

"You are one of a kind. I don't think I could work and study at the same time. I'm not very good at multi tasking,” Jimin said in admiration.

"I'm just motivated. You know, I'd like to be independent as soon as possible "Jungkook replied, shaking his head before drinking the last sip, the sound of straw an empty glass echoing between them.

Jimin looked at him again, almost unable to tear his eyes apart from the younger. Jungkook appeared to be a tremendously smart guy. He was 23, he was expected to graduate soon, he worked, he knew how to get by in life. In the world of soul mates all these qualities didn't matter in the great picture that was fated love. But Jimin was just a number zero and therefore, he was sensible to beauty when he was in front of it.

Jungkook was indeed handsome guy. Beautiful even.

Therefore Jimin wondered what a number zero like him was doing there, so perfect in every aspect, sitting in front of Jimin at this table. He wasn't putting himself down, he was quite capable on his own and he wasn't bad in the physical department.

But Jungkook. Jeon Jungkook looked like a beautiful flower blossomed in the concrete. Certainly not someone desperate enough (like Jimin was, he had to admit) to fall in an arranged marriage. He was there though.

People like Jungkook were rare, even among the number 2’s. They tell us that we are less, that we are the society's scum, yet Jimin couldn't believe someone could consider Jeon Jungkook, the young partner chosen by his parents for him, as less.

"You'll do it, I'm sure,” Jimin said encouraging.

Something seemed to light up in the eyes of Jungkook.

“Hyung," his tone felt different and Jimin sensed a change. Here it comes.

"Why are you here?" Snapped Jungkook.

Jimin sighed. It was time to put aside the casual talk and put the cards on the table.

"For the same reason you're here, I guess. I... this is not a fairy tale, there is no such thing as love at first sight. Not for us zeros. And I wasn't one hundred percent sure about all this, but now that I've met you, I wouldn't mind spending more time with you. Getting to know you and become friends…?” Jimin asked.
Of course he didn't want to jump on their ship and get married in two weeks. But now that he had met him, the thought of spending time with him and it didn't seem so horrible.
Jungkook looked at him. And Jimin told himself that he was wrong, Jungkook wasn't a flower grown on the ugly asphalt but a pure flame that burned everything behind him.
"You are wrong. I didn't come here for that reason, Jimin hyung. I didn't even want to come here. I don't know. Maybe I have a masochistic side I wasn't aware of or perhaps I'm simply unable to say no to my mother.” Jungkook's tone had become as hard as ice.

"I chose a life for me, hyung. A life where it's me and me only and that's okay. And I came here just to tell you that. But then I came and saw you and it was you. Park Jimin. I danced in routines invented by you. I won a tournament by improving your own routine. But this changes nothing. No matter if it's you, Park Jimin, or any other zero. I don't want a mate.”

Jungkook had spat the words like salt in the wounds, but Jimin wasn't hurt by anything that Jungkook said.

The chair squeaked on the parquet but Jimin didn't want for him to go away like that.

"Jungkook wait. I... okay. We don't necessarily have to tie our destinies. But I'm a zero too and I've been thinking those same thoughts during all the endless nights of this sad existence. Don't you think it would be nice to be able to share at least a bit of this burden with someone? Don't you think we could just try to be friends?"

Jungkook seemed to waver for a moment.

"Jimin hyung. If I had known the number zero that I had to meet was you, I wouldn't have even come,” Jungkook said, and without another word he left.

Jimin stayed for a while seated at that table to reflect upon zero numbers and the twist of fate.

 


Jungkook was enraptured. He was amazed. He had always thought to be good. He was good in a lot of things to tell the truth, but he had thought that dancing was his real talent. He was wrong. His steps were the ones of a beginner in comparison. It wasn't such a surprise when the dancer Park Jimin beat all his opponents and came first in the competition. Jungkook could understand why Park Jimin was so popular.

"He is cute,” commented Taehyung at his side. Jungkook glared at him. "What? You kept staring at him, I guess it's also for that,” his best friend said.

"Please! If anything I'm cuter, even you are cuter!” Jungkook replied defensively.

"Oh well thank you! It was time for you to admit,” Jungkook realized that he had just made an indirect compliment to Taehyung.

"I hate you."

“Whatever," Taehyung replied chuckling.

"By the way, isn't that the captain of the basketball team?" Jungkook brought his attention back toward the center of the field and actually the blond captain of the basketball team had made his way through the crowd and had put an arm around the shoulders of the skilled dancer.

Their smiles were so dazzling that Jungkook had no doubts.

"Bah. Number 2’s"

 

 


The sun was setting when Jungkook came back to his apartment. He felt tired, more tired even of the days when he worked, studied and then went to the gym to exercise.

And there at the door of his house, like two very fashionable travelers, were Taehyung and Hoseok. They were eating ice cream and had seemed so happy that Jungkook froze in the middle of the corridor, unsure for a moment whether to continue or not. But Taehyung noticed him and Jungkook had no escape.

"I had decided to be angry with you, Hobi came with me to stop the worst, but now that I see your face I can't seem to get angry.”
Jungkook found the words so idiotic and so appropriate at the same time, that without a word, he made the few steps that separated them to then slide to the ground alongside Hoseok.

"You okay?" the latter asked him.

Jungkook shook his head.

"Want to talk about it?" Taehyung added.

Jungkook took the ice cream from the hands of Hoseok and took a bite. And Hoseok, like the amazing person he was, let him do it.

"It's Park Jimin. The number zero that I had to meet today and with whom my family committed me for the rest of my life, is Park Jimin. "

"Oh," Taehyung said at a loss for words. Hoseok looked confused and Taehyung raised an eyebrow as if to say, ‘I'll explain later.’

Jungkook ignored them and continued to eat the ice cream.

Yes.

Oh.

 

 


Author's note:  thank you for reading this.

 https://www.tumblr.com/blog/iwaslookingforhope