00.23

A world for two

00.23

 

Taehyung basically bounced inside Jungkook’s apartment. They had tried ringing the bell but in the end, they resolved into using the spare keys because nobody was answering. Hoseok had to be the one to put the key in the locker because Taehyung had been too anxious to do so.
The apartment was empty.
They still checked all the rooms, but of course nobody was there. Let alone Jungkook.
Taehyung let himself fall on the bed, dead worried.
“Let’s call Seokjin,” the older had said then, serious. Taehyung had nodded so grateful for having his soul mate there, solid and reliable as always, in time of need. He handed his phone to Hoseok, who in the hurry had forgotten his at home.
“Hello, Tae tell me.” Hoseok put the call on speakerphone.
“Jin hyung, it’s Hoseok. We have a problem. Jungkook is not at his apartment. I think he hasn’t been here since the last time he went out. All the devices are cold.” Taehyung had looked, amazed by his soulmate’s intuition. He didn’t even think to check that. Oh Hoseok.
On the other part of the line, he felt the older sigh heavily.
“Okay then. Okay. Let me think. I called Jimin, but he’s not answering—which I kind of expected. But that’s not important now. Do you have any idea where he could be? When was the last time you saw him?”
“Taehyung saw him just after lunch and via message around 4 pm. We haven’t heard from him since then.”
“Alright. Stay there until I call you, just in case he comes back. In the meantime, I’m going to do some calls.”
“Shouldn’t we be outside trying to look for him?”
“No. Apparently the disorders were more serious than both me and Taehyung had initially thought. Wait there. I’ll call you back. I know it’s hard, but try not to worry too much, I have this situation,” Seokjin said, determined.
“Okay hyung. We trust you. And thank you. Really, thank you.”
“Please, we are friends, friends help each other. Later, then.”
“Later.”
Hoseok hung up and took his soulmate’s hand. They had to wait now.
On the other side of the city, Seokjin was calling his soulmate.
“Joonie. I know you are working right now, but I need you here. We have a problem.”
“Jin. What kind of problem? Is it serious?” Namjoon asked and Seokjin could hear the sound of rustling. No matter what, Namjoon would always, always, come for him. Seokjin couldn’t love him possibly more.
“Enough for me to have to call my family. We have to call the Kims, Joonie.”
“. I’m coming.”

 

 

 


The hours can only go by slowly when you are uncertain of your destiny.
However, even though Jungkook was feeling terrified in front of a situation bigger than him, he could only think of Jimin.
He imagined him having dinner while watching tv. He pictured in his head what could have been his routine for that time. More than anything else, he hoped he was okay. That even though he couldn’t understand what was going on or why Jungkook had apparently ditched him, he was safe.
Better safe and hating him than in a cell like him.
He also wondered if some of his friends would realize what had happened to him. He kind of hoped Taehyung would guess something was wrong, or that Seokjin hyung would tell him what happened and somehow figure out that something was wrong. Heck, even the anger of the blond was something to wish for if it made them realize the situation wasn’t normal.
If not, he could only wish that at some point, someone would come to him and tell him what was going on and why he was dragged there.
In the worst case scenario, well, he knew that prisoners had the right to have one call and so he was counting on it.
“Isn’t it obvious? We are all number zeroes here. Something has happened and they are going to blame it on us.”
“But we didn’t do anything wrong.”
“Since when do we number zeroes have actual rights?”
The conversation going around went on in that tone for a while, until a guard had come shushing them and put someone there to keep an eye on them.
Nobody dared to talk after that and when it was clear they were going to stay there for a while, people started to sit down on the bench or on the floor, trying to rest. They had all been put in two large temporary cells. Jungkook hoped that was a good sign and not an indication that the rest of the individual's cells were busy. He was hungry and exhausted but he didn’t want to, he couldn’t succumb to his tiredness, in hope something. Something good could happen.
He kept fidgeting and tapping his foot on the concrete to distract himself.
“Kid stop it. It’s not going to make time pass faster,” a man in his late thirties whispered to him.
Jungkook turned towards him.
“I know. But I can’t exactly go for a walk to calm down,” he replied, trying to sound casual to not alert the guard.
“True. I guess, you have someone who is waiting for you at home,” the man said. Jungkook somehow knew he was referring to his parents.
“Possibly,” Jungkook replied. “I hope so.” He then corrected himself frowning. He briefly wondered how the situation was going to be once he got out, because they couldn’t keep them forever, could they?
The man laughed wholeheartedly.
“And they dare to say we can’t fall in love,” the man said.
Jungkook raised an eyebrow.
"Oh, believe me. I know what I’m talking about. I can recognize that expression. I was there once. I too have someone who is waiting for me,” the man elaborated.
“Your...?”
“My wife,” the other number zero said. “Even though, I like to think of her more like my soulmate.”
Jungkook was startled by the man’s words.
“There was a time when soulmates didn’t mean being a number two. I did my research,” the man said smiling.
But before he could talk again they were shushed one more time. After a while, some other guards came. Jungkook stood up thinking that finally, they would know something about their situation but instead, the police officers came in to grab the man and take him somewhere. Jungkook wanted to shout but the man shook his head and his words died in his throat.
He grabbed the bars of the cell tightly.
A couple of hours went by. Maybe less, maybe more. Jungkook decided to keep sitting in a corner. He thought about his friends and his family. About his mother who worried for him but for the wrong things. About how his father was always so harsh and severe, who despite their disagreement, Jungkook knew he was acting for what he believed was his son’s sake.
At some point he started to doze off.
Then other officers came in. Startled by the sound, Jungkook jolted.
“Jeon Jungkook!” they called, waking up the other people in the large cell.
“That’s me,” he replied standing up. He tried not to fidget and not give them the satisfaction of seeing him weak. They didn’t drag him like the other man, they just asked him to follow them.
With his back straight and without giving his emotions away, he silently followed them. They led him in what looked an interrogation room.
There was a man in his fifties there that looked intimidating and firm. The man though shook hands with him and simply said. “Jeon Jungkook. I’m your lawyer. I’m here to take you out of here,” he said.
“But what? How? I didn’t call any lawyer.”
“Kim Seokjin sent me here. Now sit down please, and let me do the talking. Everything will be alright,” the man assured him. Jungkook nodded. He was internally thanking the photographer and he had millions of questions, but before he could open his mouth, a detective came in and seat at the other part of the table.
“What do I owe the honor of this visit?” The detective asked seating down in front of them. He seemed to know the lawyer very well as if the man was someone important.
“Detective Lee, please spare us the humor. I’m here because of my job as a lawyer. I came to find out you are detaining my client with no actual reason to do so. He didn’t take part in the disorders of yesterday evening. I have witnesses that can confirm that at the time of the first episode, he was still attending class. If that isn’t enough I can show you a copy of the class register: he had signed his presence,” the lawyer said, taking out the mentioned copy. Jungkook was keeping his breath. The lawyer continued.
“He is a 23 year old young man with no criminal record or actual proof that testify connections with the subversive groups. What you did yesterday was offensive, and I say offensive to not use the term illegal, in more ways than one.”
“The young man Jeon Jungkook was found yesterday in the place of the disorders, among of the subversive group who yesterday were responsible for attacks on the community. He was found in the place of the culprit and guided to the near police station waiting for judgment and formal accuse.”
“This is pointless and you know it detective. I had access videos that can confirm his noninvolvement, with several other proofs that can state his innocence. You are only being salty because things had gone out of hand and now to prevent more protests, you are just trying to contain the situation by arresting all the number zeros you could find near the place of the attack.”
The detective stood up, irritated, but then another officer came to the room to say something to him which seemed to change his facial feature in a moment.
“Very well. Jeon Jungkook can go.”
“I thought so. Jungkook, let’s go. You are free,” The lawyer said, smiling.
In disbelief, Jungkook stayed frozen in his seat but the lawyer, his lawyer, motioned him to stand up and he did just as he was told.
Like in a trance, he followed the man in the corridor and then out in the police office atrium. Right there was Seokjin and Namjoon.
Jungkook and Seokjin hadn’t got along at first. The blonde looked at him with suspicion and the younger hadn’t liked him for that. Somehow his relationship with Jimin had softened their relationship, but the maximum physical contact they had ever shared was the head patting the blond gave him when Jungkook had come asking for Jimin.
In that moment though, the younger didn’t care that his was in a police station or their usual shyness. He ran, passing over his lawyer and jumped into the older’s open arms. He squeezed the life out of him.
“It’s over now,” the number two whispered, hugging him back. Namjoon was just behind him smiling at them.
Everyone at the police station seemed to be looking at them, even more so intently at Seokjin somehow, like he was someone important. Namjoon was thanking the lawyer in the meantime and Jungkook would have wanted to do the same, but the man disappeared soon after.
“Let’s go. Taehyung and Hoseok are waiting outside,” The blond whispered kindly.
Jungkook nodded.
It was probably the dawn. The night was fading into the light colors of the morning. He hadn’t spent too much time inside that cell, but it sure as hell felt like forever. He asked himself worriedly what was going to happen to the others or to the man that was dragged somewhere inside the police station.
However, the train of his thoughts was interrupted by a Taehyung literally jumping on him. Since he hadn’t eaten anything since midday he was almost knocked down.
He hugged him nonetheless.
“, Jungkook you scared us to death,” Taehyung whispered in his ear. When his best friend finally let him breathe, he was knocked out by the force of Hoseok’s embrace.
“Hoseok hyung,” Jungkook called him, deeply moved. No matter the situation, no matter the misunderstandings or the fact that his hyung was hurting, had been hurting all along, he was there for him. They were his family.
“It’s better if we get going,” Namjoon said. They finally untangled and followed the two elders towards their car. Jungkook was still dazed unable to comprehend what had just happened and how he was suddenly free, but he was still grateful to Seokjin above all because he had decided to be the one driving.
“Oh Kookie, you don’t even know!” Taehyung shouted in his left ear. They made him seat between them
“You scared us big time. When Taehyung called me, I tried to come as fast as possible. Then we went to check your apartment but you weren’t there. We both panicked,” Hoseok said in his other ear.
“Totally. But Hoseok made me remember to call Seokjin hyung, and thank god we did it! He was great!”
“You would do the same for me,” Seokjin said from his driver position.
“Of course, but still hyung. It’s all thanks to you,” Hoseok replied smiling.
“Can you believe that he is a Kim? Like a Kim! Kim presidential family Kim! With his name and Namjoon’s resources, we managed to discover where they had taken you. Sorry to have taken so long, but we still needed time to collect evidence! I think I woke up half of the student council!” Taehyung continued.
“All of you, thank you,” Jungkook said suddenly.
“Thanks, Seokjin hyung. Really. I—Thank you. Thank you Namjoon hyung too, if you did what they say you did for me.
“Please don’t even mention it, you are a friend,” the older said, flashing his dimples. Seokjin smiled warmly from the back-view mirror.
“And I don’t even have to thank you two. I’m indebted to you for more than tonight.”
Hoseok shook his head. “It’s fine, Kookie.”
“Yes Jungkook, don’t worry,” came the voice of Seokjin.
It followed a silence. Both Taehyung and Hoseok seemed unable to take his hands off him and the two elders kept checking him from the mirrors. They were all talking, telling how it went but Jungkook wasn’t listening.
“We didn’t tell your parents, sorry,” Taehyung continued. “We were really engrossed in taking you out that it completely vanished from our minds, but as soon as we get home you can call them.” Jungkook nodded. He was going to do it but later.
Because there was a big void in there, bigger than the absence of his parents, bigger than whatever fear had accompanied him in those long hours. Bigger than everything because he wasn’t there.
“Where is Jimin?” Jungkook asked.
A heavy silence followed that.

 

 

Jimin had turned off his phone. He had been seated at the kitchen table for an hour now. Thinking.
His boss had just called him and told him that there was some inconvenience in the office, he didn’t exactly explain what was going on but he gave Jimin two days of vacation.
Jimin assumed it was inspection time and so he didn’t ask. His boss appreciated his skills and his hard work and he had put him in a role of responsibility in the accounting department. But the central office and most of the people in charge out there didn’t trust a number zero in any kind of high position, even one as harmless as his. So when there was inspection time, his boss usually gave him other tasks. He was surprised he went further this time, but it wasn’t like he was being dismissed so maybe he could use that time to fix and reflect upon his situation.
Was he being too rash, was he thinking too much? He had tried to contact Jungkook, but to no avail. Not even Taehyung was answering, and so he got tired. He turned his phone off and left it forgotten somewhere.
Ironically, now that he had time, he didn’t know what to do with it.
Jungkook are you ok? Did you change your mind?
Maybe he got this situation all wrong. Maybe that had been a reply itself.
He had always known Jungkook had issues. So there was one, only one thing he could do to help them. Help him.
He stood up abruptly.
He ran towards his bedroom, took out a suitcase from under the bed and started to fill it up with clothes, toiletries and all the necessary for a two days trip. Then he took another bag and started to fill it with all of Tao’s things and it was like he was under a spell. He took the travel cage for the cat and cleared his apartment of all the things that were scattered around. Then he dragged cat, suitcase and bag inside his car.
Only then he stopped. He realized he hadn’t eaten anything and that what he doing now was probably the most reckless thing he had ever done after that time he finally found the courage to move out of his first apartment. He went back to check if he had forgotten anything. He stopped at the threshold of his front door and with the keys in his hand, he looked inside his apartment.
There were still the flowers Jungkook had gifted him in a vase on the coffee table of the living room. He noticed one of the flowers had started to wither.
He closed the door.

 

 

“Don’t you want to rest a bit more?” Taehyung asked as he watched Jungkook put some clothes in a bag. He had offered to give a lift to Jungkook to let Hoseok sleep peacefully since he had a shift later that day.
They had taken Jungkook to their house where Seokjin cooked him one of his special meals for everyone and told him that Jimin had left.
The younger had wanted to move the moment those words had left Seokjin’s lips but nobody had let him. He looked visibly shaken, pale and tired. He was useless like that.
“I don’t know where he went. He turned off his phone and he isn’t at home, he even took Tao with him. But I can guess,” Seokjin said with a sigh.
Jimin was still clueless he didn’t know a lot of numbers zeroes were arrested or that number twos, with a bit of conscience, were trying to keep them out of trouble like good bosses giving their zero employees vacation time. Apparently, Jimin had just taken his car and drove away.
“I’m fine Taehyung. I just spent a night in a cell they didn’t do anything to me,” Jungkook said zipping the bag and taking a light jacket. Taehyung had given him one of his old phones because he didn’t want to let Jungkook going out without a device.
Taehyung sighed.
“I would go with you. But.”
“I know,” Jungkook said smiling at him.
“I’ll be fine, Taehyung, really. Seokjin gave me the address and the trains are still functioning you know. Besides, if I end up in a cell again now, I know I can say I’m friends with a Kim. Even though is still strange to think of Seokjin hyung as a member of a presidential family. Like, c’mon he is Kim Seokjin,” Jungkook tried to joke.
“Please don’t joke. We got so scared yesterday.”
“I was too. But this is important. I have to go,” Jungkook said, determined. Taehyung sighed again. “Let me give you a lift to the train station at least.” Jungkook accepted.
The journey to the train station was quiet. The younger kept staring out of the window his mind wandering somewhere else, more like with someone else.
It didn’t take too long to arrive, Taehyung made sure to look at the surroundings carefully and was adamant in leaving Jungkook at the main door.
“Go home. I told you. I’ll be fine,” Jungkook said putting his bag on a shoulder, tilting his head. Taehyung watched this Jungkook, so grown up, so confident and so ready to fight not for himself but for someone else. Someone he loved. He was no longer an icy flame, but the sun that gently warms the air.
He is really showing the world how a number zero can be happy.
So he nodded and did as he was told. He left Jungkook there and went back home.

 

Taehyung was taking off his shoes at the entrance when he heard soft steps coming his way. He lifted his gaze. There he was, his soulmate, his Hoseok. He had ruffled hair and his eyes were still half closed, and he was barefoot even if he nagged Taehyung non-stop to put some socks on because he didn’t want for him to get cold.
He was beautiful.
“You are back,” he whispered.
“I am. Why would I not?” Taehyung said, wearing his slippers and moving towards Hoseok.
“I thought you were going with Jungkook. To help him.”
Taehyung looked at him with all the love he felt for his soulmate.
“You are my number one, Hoseok. You always were. You will always be,” Taehyung said, tiptoeing towards him.
Hoseok closed his eyes.
Taehyung then embraced him tightly, glad that he was taller so Hoseok could fit so well in his arms.
“I’m sorry if you ever thought that if you ever doubted I could think otherwise. I’m so sorry.”
“I am sorry. Because I knew it. I knew, but I still couldn’t stop myself to look at the both of you and feel...” Jealous. Left behind. Hoseok tried to say ashamed. “I failed the both of you so so much.”
“There’s nothing, nothing you ever did that it’ll ever make me think you failed me. Nothing. Because you put me and who I cared before everything, before yourself, because you cherished me and protected me and decided to love instead of hate just because you knew it was important for me. You were right Hoseok, you were right, he didn’t need me, he hadn’t been needing me for a while, I was the one who stubbornly got attached to the past, letting it come between us.”
“You told me that he was a part of yourself, of course I would love him too. I did nothing special. Besides, how could I not? It’s our Jungkook.”
Hoseok said like what he did was nothing to be praised of.
“Then will you still love this me that is just me?” Taehyung whispered in his hair.
“What bull are you saying, I would love you even if what remained of you was just a quarter.”
Taehyung laughed.
“I’m glad. Because this just me will love just you, so much you’ll get sick of it.”
“I doubt it.”
“Challenged accepted,” Taehyung murmured before distancing himself a bit and kissing his soulmate.
It wasn’t all magically healed. They needed time, Taehyung would have needed time to make it up to his hyung, but he would do his best. To give this beautiful person what he deserved and more.
And maybe he wouldn’t get it at first, but maybe with time, with the passing of days, one after another, maybe then Hoseok would understand that Taehyung had been anything but apart of him, and that without him he would be nothing.
“I love you,” he whispered on his lips.
“I love you too.”

 

 


Jungkook kept staring from the window of the train seat. He thought of how things had turned upside down in merely 24 hours. He felt drained and exhausted, but he couldn’t stop yet, he couldn’t rest. Not until he had Park Jimin in his arms once again.