Sister, Sister

A Breath Away
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

2:18 p.m. Saturday

 

 

I just started my shift at La Mie Bistro when I got a text message from my sister Hye Rin. She supposedly came back from the states last night, like I predicted a couple days ago. Hye Rin was making her way up from mom's pension house by the beach. I waited for her arrival near the bakery section as I helped Jin Woo set out the new displays for tiramisu, one of our best sellers here at the bistro. I'd usually work on Saturdays because that's when we were the busiest, but I decided to come in yesterday after school. I needed to get my mind off of things after making a fool out of myself in front of Sehun. I shed tears for him to see and that alone was something I couldn't stand. I felt like my pride washed away. Even though I let my bullies prank me, I was never one to seek revenge. I was passive. But the one thing they'd never seen before were my tears. I wasn't used to being picked on by one person. It was always Sehun and the others. Being picked on alone was a different feeling. It left me feeling scared and alone. Who knew what Sehun would've done. 

"Mi Ran ah~I heard Hye Rin will be coming in today?" Seungyoon oppa made his way around the bakery register where I was at. He handed me the next batch of chocolate croissants for me to put in the display window. 

Opening the sliding glass case, I answered him "Yeah she should be here soon." I checked my wrist watch.

"It's been awhile, how has she been? She hasn't been going around doing stupid stuff has she?" he asked as he crossed his arms on top of the counter to support  his leaning body.

"Oh you know that won't change. At least for not awhile. I don't like when she goes drinking and clubbing either, but I learned to let her be. I'd rather have her go through this phase now than later. Helps to ease the stress and all that." 

"Well look at you. I can't believe my little dongsaeng has grown up so much. You've always been the more mature one." his hand caressed the top of my head.

"Yah, she's my little dongsaeng." Dara unnie made her way through the kitchen doors with a tray of macarons.

"Nuh uhh! She's my dongsaeng!" Seungyoon forcefully hugged me in front of her.

"A litt- help. Can't breath~" I exaggerated.

Dara hit his arms to release me but he wouldn't budge. 

Jinwoo who was turning the corner from the booth aisle saw the scene and yelled out, "Yah! Are you not going to let go my dongsaeng?!" he also joined Dara as the two were now smacking his arms.  

While the three stooges cutely argued, I added "You guys know I'm the youngest who works here right? Which means I'm everyone's dongsaeng." I rolled my eyes. These guys always fought over me like this. I find it cute when they do this though. 

Mino, who was busy with a customer, called out "If you guys are done fighting over MY dongsaeng, then could you please get back to work or else." he smiled as he warned us. Sometimes, Mino oppa could be threatening, but it mostly regarded these three stooges here...well I guess you could include Seunghoon oppa too. He was the loudest one. And Mr. Nam Taehyun kept to himself for the most part. Though he had a soft spot for me that is; I am his little sister afterall. These two, instead of fighting over dongsaengs, were busy with a couple customers. Seungyoon was still hugging me when I saw someone's hand tapping his shoulder.

"Can you let go of my sister, so that I could get some love?" a familiar voice said. I turned my head. 

"Unnie!" I pushed aside Seungyoon and dashed into my older sister's arms. "You're here!" I said barely audible.

"Yes, yes I'm here now." she hugged me tightly and patted the back of my head. As I continued to hug her, she looked at everyone else and said "Yah, all of you. Just because I leave for a little bit doesn't mean that you guys get to have her all to yourselves." I let go and saw her smiling at everyone. She then gave everyone else a hug and we all talked about how it was good to see her. After tabbing out the customers I took care of before my sister's arrival, I made my way to her who was sitting by the tall windows. 

"Here's this and that." I handed her a plate of Korean-styled bulgogi tacos and an iced Vietnamese coffee. 

"You are my sister afterall." she winked at me as she took a bite of the entree. "So, tell me, what have you been up to?" she continued to eat her food as we made conversation.

"Same thing. School, piano, work, school. Yada yada." I replied as I took a sip of her coffee.

"You haven't been sick have you?" she asked.

"No, I've been fine. Just been busy. I should be asking how you've been instead. You know there's people here to take care of me,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter