Piano Graduate

A Breath Away
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

4:52 p.m. Monday

 

"This is really happening?" Ms. Yang said as she sat across me on the window seat while I sat on the piano chair. She already had tears in her eyes when I shut the piano front board which usually marked the end of today's lesson. However, today became a bit different as it was not only the end of today's lesson, but the end of our lessons period. It's been a very long time since I've had Ms. Yang as an instructor. To me, she is not only a teacher, but a friend, a caretaker, and someone who has become a family member. Over the years, we've become relatively close. She along with Mr. and Mrs. Kim have been there for me through thick and thin. So naturally, I had tears b my eyelids as well when I saw the look on her face. 

I looked at her and then back at the beautiful playing piece. "Yeah, I think this is it imo." I sniffled.

"You know, of course I knew this would end sooner or later, but I didn't think it would be this sad." we laughed together before I wiped her tears. 

"And you also know this isn't really the end right?" I asked. 

"I know, I know." she sighed. "Wow. All these years...I'm..I'm just so happy to see you grow Mi Ran ah." her smile appeared. "You're such a beautiful person inside and out."

"Please imo, enough with the compliments." I smiled at her. She always managed to sneak in a compliment whenever we had a conversation. 

"Mi Ran ah~I know you don't hear it often. Which is why I tell you these things. So you don't forget." she patted my head. 

"True. Very true. I guess you could keep going." I sarcastically replied. We laughed again before she continued. I made my way next to her on the window seat and sat down. 

"I don't think I'm all that sad about ending our lessons you know, I honestly think it's just that because I've got to watch you grow into the person you are now makes me feel reminiscent. The time...where did it all go?" she caressed my cheek before pinching it lightly. "It's like yesterday you were playing with sand at the park, and now you're in your last year of high school. Not to mention you're way taller than me, you play piano like an expert, you drive, and work. My goodness you are just so grown and I am just so so so proud of you." she pulled me in for a hug. 

"It makes me sad knowing that time has flew by so fast too." I hugged her with just at much force before pulling back. "Look at you, within the time you've taught me you have gone through some things yourself too. Let's see....ah! You bought a house with your husband, had a kid, and oh I can't forget this one. You got an offer to teach at Korea National University of Arts!" I clapped for her and she laughed. 

"I guess you could say we've both grown in the past couple years." 

After talking for a few more minutes by the piano, we heard a couple voices entering my house. I had told Mr. and Mrs. Kim to stop by today so we could all eat dinner together at my house. Though they probably were going to stop by anyway. 

"MI RAN AH~" I heard my name being yelled out. 

"Who's here today?" Ms. Yang asked. 

"Ah, you'll find out soon. Let's go." I nudged her to come out the room. I lead the two of us to the kitchen where I found Mr. Kim rinsing some vegetables and the other grabbing more stuff out the grocery bags on the counter.

"Omo! Jin Ah! Yoo Sung ah! It's been aw

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter