Bus Buddy

A Breath Away
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

12:19 a.m.

 

His evilish grin appeared and I became a stone. Besides the time when he made me run with him through the tight space on the rooftop, I was never this close to his face. This time I could smell his warm breath that reaked of alcohol. I tried to slither through his taller build, but failed because he would only bring me in closer. His strength pushed against my side and I quivered. With me still in his arms he led the way and we began walking partially slow. I'm sure we looked awkward because I tried to stay in place with each step. 

"Can you let go of me?!" I yelled only audible for him to hear. The streets were still full of people and I felt like causing a scene would just gather too much attention. 

"Why?" he asked still with a smile on, and then he leaned in closely and whispered in my right ear. "We look like a couple."

My body trembled at the proximity of his hot breath. I became scared, though I knew he couldn't do anything with people around. His whisper initiated my strength as I used the time to finally push him as hard as I could. Though he didn't move as far as I thought he would, he did run into a girl walking behind us. As he apologized, I took the chance to walk away as fast as I could, even running a little bit. The bus stop was now in sight and I could see the bus pulling up from the corner. I jogged up to the bus that just pulled up and took out my card and swiped it against the scanner. No one was in the bus because of the time. It was already 12:30 in the morning. This was the last round for buses to run. I sat down somewhere near the middle and closed my eyes as I laid a hand over my heart. My fast heartbeat became a result of Oh Sehun's actions. 

I tried calming down the pace of my heart by breathing in and out slowly. The bus began moving. With my eyes still closed I leaned back resting my head on the seat. I felt an ache in my heart only because of what just happened. His rashness quickened my heartbeat. It began slowing down when the bus stopped. I opened my eyes and looked out the window. We were at a red stop light just around the shopping center. I stared at all the lights from the streets. The night was still alive even at this time. As the bus started to move away from the crowds of people and bright lights, the quietness on the other half of the city became apparent. And then it became black. The bus had reached a tunnel.

It was then when I realized that I wasn't alone on the bus anymore. I stared at the reflection from the window and saw the figure. The figure stared right at me. He switched from the evil grin to his only other facial expression. Blankness. He sat directly across from me. Just when I thought that I was going to have quietness. I still had another fifteen minutes before reaching my bus stop. I knew it wasn't going to be quiet when he got up and sat on the same seat as me. I only continued to stare out the window moving closer to it so I wouldn't touch him. I gave up looking out the window because the tunnel seemed to be extra long so I heaved a quiet sigh and turned my head to him. 

"What now?" I asked in a stern tone. 

"I seem to make your heart beat fast. You were huffing and puffing so much just now that you didn't seem to notice me getting on the bus." his voice monotoned. 

Of course he made my heart beat fast. All the years that he's bullied me. The pranks, the paranoia, the pushing and shoving. All of it. What did he expect? As someone who became a regular target for bullying, I didn't know what to do. I walked into school everyday feeling suspicious of the people around me. I never knew what was going to happen. Was I going to get egged today? Was I going to be pushed into a locker? How about being tripped in the hallways? Or maybe I should bring some extra clothes because someone's lunch might appear on my school uniform. I couldn't do nothing but feel anxious. Fearful. Tense. Overwrought. 

So yeah, Oh Sehun, you do make my heart beat fast. I wasn't going to say that to him though. He wouldn't understand so I stayed quiet. I wanted to just tell him everything. How I felt, what I deal with at school, my anxiety. But how do you tell the person who causes that and expect them to understand? It just doesn't happen like that.

"Why can't you just leave me alone?" my voice became weak from all the thoughts in my head. I looked him in the eye and of course I couldn't read him. 

"Why can't I just sit next to a classmate without being asked what my intentions are?" he tilted his head.

"Seriously? Classmate? Since when have I ever been a classmate to you? All I am is someone you and your little stupid gang of friends bully." I scoffed at him and looked away. I couldn't believe what

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter