La Mie Bistro

A Breath Away
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

9:34 p.m. 

 


I just got done with homework when I felt like going out to grab a refresher. I decided to go out for a walk to La Mie Bistro, a small little urban restaurant/bakery that sold my favorite macaron icecream bars and boba tea. The place sold gourmet baked goods, cakes, pastries, tea, and restaurant styled foods. It became a popular joint due to their authentic asian-fusion like goods. I did work here on my free time. Because I was cool with the manager and other workers, I usually made my own hours and would come in when I wanted. They knew I had school, so they never pushed me to work everyday. In the end, it all worked out that way. The restaurant was killer, and it was a good thing they closed at 11:00 today. The bistro stayed open longer on the weekends until 1 a.m. The place was only a corner away from the convenience store, which also made it an easy walk from home. As many times I eat the macaron icecream bars from this place, I never got sick of it. The yummy treat always hit the spot.

Before leaving, I grabbed a light jacket, throwed on some sneakers, and grabbed my house keys. Tonight was a bit breezy and I could easily see the stars through the clear skies. I thought about my interaction with Sehun earlier today. It wasn't as awkward as I thought it would be, though not a single sound uttered from his mouth. I did expect some sort of smart remark knowing that he had a mouth on him. I've noticed a change in his attitude recently though. He didn't bully me as much this year like he did previously. Sehun was still his badass self though. Missing school, kissing girls, getting into fights. Only he was quieter. If anything, his friends were the ones making a nuisance in school. This past weekend showed that he was indeed going through some personal things. The screams at the beach, the cuts and bruises, the quietness. He just wasn't being Oh Sehun lately. I'm surprised at myself for even thinking about him. Whenever his name came up, I'd roll my eyes, or feel slightly irritated. Now it was just nothing. I'm not sure whether it's my passiveness or because I've seen him out of school recently but now I feel as if I could walk freely pass him without dodging or trying to hide. I should still be on guard of course, since he has proven to be unpredicatable. 

I just passed the corner of the convenience store after all my thoughts. I cutted the corner and there it was, La Mie Bistro. I smiled as I saw the displayed letters outside the restaurant; that's how excited I was to eat my favorite icecream. I didn't even care if I had to go to sleep soon. Walking in, the lights were dim and the bistro seemed to be empty. A customer left right before I entered the place, and that seemed to be the last person in. 

"Oh Mi Ran ah!" the manager had spotted me from the entrance. His killer-like smile always melted my heart a bit. 

"Hi Mino oppa!" I waved back and walked straight his way behind the marble counter. Mino was the bistro's manager and was someone close to me as we grew up together. He is a family friend of ours and we have always treated each other like siblings. 

"So how can I help you?" he asked while cleaning the windows to the bakery. He then pushed the sleeves to his white dress shirt upwards allowing him to wipe the windows easier. 

"I would like a green tea icecream macaron sandwich and an iced Thai tea please." I answered back as I made my way on top of the register counter. "Where are the others?" I asked.

"Oh, Jin Woo is in the back setting aside the cakes." he replied before grabbing the Thai tea batch from the mini fridge. "Hoonie went home early, his cousins came in town. Seungyoon hyung and Taehyun took the day off. And I told Dara to take off early, said she wasn't feeling good." he continued as he poured the tea into an already filled up cup of ice. Just as I was about to say something, Jin Woo came through the kitchen doors.

"Well look who it is, my favorite Mi Ran!" he enthusiastically added and made his way to give me one of those tight hugs I always received from him. He is the best baker I know his age. This guy throws down with his baked goods, which is a reason why he works here. Like Mino, I grew up with Jin Woo and the others who work here. They were all childhood friends and I couldn't ask for a group of brothers like these guys. They all looked after me as a child. Being the youngest out of the bunch, they'd take me out to parks, treat me to icecream, gave me company when I wanted to ride my bike, and so on. 

"Are you sure you don't know any other Mi Rans out there?" I smiled as I gave a questionable look.

"Oh please, even if I did know any other Mi Rans, you're still my favorite little dongsaeng." he fluffed my hair 

"And what about me?!" Mino put a hand over his heart, shocked at Jin Woo's remark. We all laughed as Mino slided the finished Thai tea cup towards me. "Oh and here's this for you too." handing me the green tea icecream. "There you go boss." he stood straight and saluted with his right hand. I laughed and said my thank yous. We caught up on some things, and told them about going out of town. Of course, being the older brothers they are, they asked what my grades were...They could really be like parents, these two. Mino brought up how he was going to go to the states for a family member's wedding and would be staying for about a month or so. He asked if I could take his shifts for when he was gone. I agreed to it, but it wasn't for another couple weeks. 

After about fifteen minutes or so, I left the counter and let them figure out tod

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter