Good Deed

A Breath Away
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


7:08 p.m.

 

I opened the doors to my home where I smelled freshly cooked food being made. I took off my shoes, and went straight to my room located on the same floor as the entrance. After dropping my bag and changing into some sweats, I made my way into the kitchen where I would see what I would be eating for dinner. 

"Oh speak of the devil." Mrs. Kim was laying out the dinner plates onto the table when she saw me entering the kitchen. 

"Glad you could makith to dinner my youngith one." Mr. Kim always had a way of putting a smile on my face. Everytime they'd come over, he'd be the one cooking which was what I found him doing as I entered. 

"What's for dinner?" I asked as I helped Mrs. Kim lay out the remaining utensils out.

"I opted for something simple this time. Grilled salmon, seasoned asparagus, garlic butter mashed red skinned potatoes, and brown rice." He said holding up the plate full of the asparagus to show me.

"Something simple, huh." I chuckled at his reply. As he made his way to the table with the finished product, he shooed his wife's arm from the bowls so he could plate the food for us. She smiled at him with graceful eyes. These two are seriously lovebirds. I couldn't help but smile at their overly affectionate feelings for each other. He is quite the gentleman if you ask me, and she is gorgeous. The two would casually come to the house to check up on me. Most times I wouldn't even know they'd be home. We spent most nights cooking dinner together or simply watching movies. It was all normal for us. I had known the couple for awhile now. Mrs. Kim used to work for my mom as her assistant, and Mr. Kim was a family friend. He actually met his lovely wife through our family. My sister and I were bridesmaids for the duo's wedding that took place last year. Like Ms. Yang, I address these two like their my own flesh and blood by calling them aunt and uncle. 

"So how was school hon?" He asked me as soon as he plated the last asparagus onto my plate.

"Same ol, same ol. You already know." I replied back. I took a sip of my water in front of me before continuing my answer. "The day flew by fast. How about you guys?" I started to eat the salmon. Lawwd Jezuss this is good. 

"I did nothing but paperwork today." my aunt replied before scooping a spoon of rice into . 

"Oh you know, just saving people's lives. Same ol, same ol for me too." the husband mocked my answer with a grin on his face. Then his face contorted into a questionable look. "I heard you didn't go to school Friday? Why's that?" he asked.

"Honey, it was a half day." she answered for him and then turned to me. "Yeah, I know. I heard from Ms. Yang that you went onto an overnight trip for the weekend." she glared at me as I enjoyed the delicious food in front of me. 

"Yup, uh huhhh." I said with my mouth full.

"You need to stop doing that. You always go alone with nobody to protect you. What if something were to happen. What happens if you get hurt?" my uncle had changed his tone from comedic to serious in a matter of minutes. 

"Then I'll call 911." I replied with my mouth still full.

He gave me the death glare, similar to what his wife just did. The only time I'd hear his serious tone is if it's dealing with me going out by myself. "And you!" he turned his head towards his wife, "Why didn't you tell me she was out there somewhere alone when you found out?!" 

"Oh relax honey. She always does this." she rolled her eyes back at him, then turned to me. "So where did you go this time?"

"The beach in Incheon."

"Yahh, that far?!" his face full of worry.

"It's only an hour away." I told him. "I stayed at mom's pension house."

"Still, you need someone to go with you. You're only seventeen Mi Ran ah." he crossed his arms to show his seriousness. 

"Fine, fine. I'll let you guys know when I'll be going on my next trip." I sarcastically replied with a smile on my face. Sike. He worries over nothing, but I can't help but feel loved when they show me such care. I know they only yell at me when it concerns my well-being and health, but I can't help but feel like their child in situations like this. They went back to bickering about not hiding secrets and what not, while I finished my food and admired their relationship from afar. These two were too cute.

 

9:25 p.m.

 

The quarrelling love-birds were long gone. After eating dinner, I thanked them for the food and said our goodbyes outside in the driveway. I did the dishes, finished today's homework, and did some laundry to kill time. I'd usually go to bed around eleven-ish so I had time to kill. I the t.v. searching for things to watch. Nothing but sappy love dramas on and I definitely didn't want to cry myself to sleep thinking about the sad scenes. Running man played some old re-runs, so I decided to watch that for the time being. Can never go wrong with Yoo Jae Suk. After thirty minutes or so, the show ended and played some weird commercials until the next RM episode. I sighed and turned off the t.v. debating whether to go to sleep, or play piano. I wasn't tired so I ended up in the piano room for ten minutes until I got bored. I proceeded to the fridge where I found nothing I wanted

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter