The Unexpected

A Breath Away
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

4:26 p.m. Thursday. September 10.

 

"Oh boy, I need a breather." I said as I lazily made my way towards the living room. I spread my entire body on the comfortable leather couch with my left arm supporting my head and my right dangling on the side. I was beat to the pulp with my piano lessons. Ms. Yang, my instructor, was now making her way to the living room with a hot tea pot and cups. 

"Oh please, it wasn't that bad. It was only three hours." the rolling of her eyes made its way into a smile. She laid out the cups and poured for two.

"That's what you think." I snarled back. Ms. Yang has been my instructor for six years. My parents introduced me to the hobby at the early age of eleven. I was seventeen now and not once has my instructor changed. We've become so close now that we claim each other as aunt and niece respectively. She's apart of my family and I couldn't ask for a better teacher. Over the years, I've learned all there is to know about piano. I do admit, I wasn't into the idea of playing the instrument because of the long enduring hours I had been put through, but the lovely playing piece became my best friend. When I first began, my lessons would be all over the place. Day and night. After lunch and dinner. Before bed and of course weekends. It was quite hectic if you'd ask me, but I managed through it. Three hours was nothing to me, but it got tiring since I haven't been able to play in awhile.

"Don't tell me it's going to be one of those breathers where you come back in two or three days?" she slid my cup across to me. 

I rised up from my laying position and embrace the warmth of the cup with both hands, snifflling in the bitter aroma of jasmine tea, one of my favorites. "You know me so well. I'll probably end up staying at mom's old pension house."

"I don't want you driving up there alone. I hate when you do that. And it's a school night." The smile on her face altered into a concerned look. 

"I know, but this isn't anything new. You know that. Plus tomorrow is an early release. I don't really want to go and stare at the white board for four hours." As soon as I took a sip of the tea, I immediately felt instant relief. "I go on these trips every once in awhile, you should be used to it already."

"I am, but that doesn't mean I'll stop worrying over you." Her concerned look stayed permanent. I smiled back at her reassuring that I'll be ok. She looked at me in the eyes and I swear I could see tears b over inside her brown eyes. "I can never say no to you." she smiled back. 

 "I know, I know, call you if I need anything." rolling my eyes back at her I gave her a smile.

"Where did the time go? I remember when you didn't make your own decisions." We both chuckled and smiled. 

"Time does fly by fast doesn't it? Just like how it's almost time to pick up your little girl." I said looking past the big clock in the middle of our living room. 

"Oh my god! You're right!" She looked at her own watch and let out a screech. "I was too busy worrying over you I almost forgot about picking Eun Bi from daycare." she hurriedly rushed to get her purse from the piano room down the hall. Her cellphone rang and I instantly knew it was the daycare center."Yes, yes. I'm sorry Mrs. Choi, if you could hold her there for a little longer I would really appreciate it. I got caught up in the piano lessons that I forgot about the time. I am so sorry." her voice was getting louder as she ran from the piano room to the living room. She was now visible and I could see her hanging up the phone as she reac

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter