16

Second Chances
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It’s been a good week since we spent some time at the Song Residence. Every day, Joongki and I have worked to build some memories with the kids. Our schedules have now changed so that we could both be home when the twins are home,  while they get to spend some time with their grandparents when we’re at work. 

I felt touched at how natural it is for the twins to call Joongki ‘Appa’ now. No longer did I worry about them growing up without a male figure.

“Omma, Appa, I want to eat some ice cream there.” said Lorraine as she pointed to a nearby Baskin Robbin’s.

“Alright princess. We’ll go there.” replied Joongki.

I should have complained that he was spoiling Lorraine but as a mother, I found it so adorable that he easily submits to his daughter’s will. 

After hearing her father’s approval, Lorraine grabbed Jinki’s hand and rushed to the ice cream parlor. Joongki and I followed right behind them.

We were about to go in when I heard a familiar female voice.

“Joongki-oppa.”

My eyes widened, my feet neglected to move away from Joongki’s side. It was her, she was really back. Fear radiated throughout my body that I even feared it’s showing through my physical body.

“Hyekyo, don’t mind her. Let’s go inside.” 

Joongki pulled me towards the door but she spoke once again.

“Joongki-oppa, please. Speak to me.” 

I looked at her, she looked pitiful and I noticed all the stares we were getting from other customers.

“Joongki go speak to her. Don’t make a scene. I’ll be okay.”

“Are you sure?”

I nodded my head and he sighed.

“I’ll try to get rid of her as fast as I can.” said Joongki.

He kissed my forehead and I saw how Jiwon looked away. 

I didn’t want to let him go, my whole being was telling me to make him stay and to ignore her. But my conscience forced me to remember how I felt when I was treated that way in the past. I can’t bring myself to ever stoop to her level or even be compared to her.

As we ordered some ice cream, I watched as Joongki and Jiwon spoke to each other from outside the window. Joongki looked troubled, I felt curiosity and doubt build up inside of me. I needed to know what they were talking about.

It didn’t occur to me that Lorraine and Jinki saw their father through the window.

“Omma, Jinki-oppa and I will bring Appa his ice cream.”

Before I could react, Lorraine had already dragged her brother out of the parlor. Realization of their destination reached me and I ran after them. But it was too late, Jiwon said words that I would never want my children to hear. 

It was only her voice that I heard and I saw how Lorraine dropped her ice cream and how Jinki stormed off.

“I’m pregnant Joongki, and you’re the father

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter