After Work

Bus Rides & Sleepy Misses
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

---

 

Jongin knows that people worry--some more than others. Sometimes the person who seems to have their life completely together is the one who's suffering the most. Jongin always feels so powerless when he sees someone suffering, especially when he can't be physically with said person to say, give them a hug.

 

Currently, he's walking aimlessly around his room, clutching onto his phone while Yixing talks, and finds himself struggling to come up with helpful words to say for once.

 

Earlier when the two were at work, Jongin never pried after Yixing cried on his shoulder--knowing that Yixing likes to talk about his problems on his own time. So, they carried on with their day, joking around and telling light-hearted stories to each other and to Taemin. Now, Yixing's expelling his worries and stresses about life in general to Jongin, who gives hums and nods to himself here and there to show that he's listening.

 

"...Like I feel so lonely sometimes, man," Yixing murmurs.

 

Jongin plops down onto his bed at that and responds with, "Yeah, I get ya...like, it's like there's a void that can't be completely filled?" He stares up at his ceiling, remembering a bit of his own past before turning onto his side. "But then, I think we can meet certain people that make that void feel almost non-existent..." He thinks about their other friends and pauses before asking, "Uh, do Taeminnie, Sehunnie, and I ever make you feel lonely?"

 

There's a pause on the phone and Jongin worries that maybe he hasn't been enough of a comfort for Yixing, and then scrunches his eyebrows when he hears the other man mumble something.

 

"...Hello?" Jongin asks, as he hears only silence afterwards.

 

"Hello? Jongin?" he hears Yixing say back to him.

 

They both repeat each other's names another time to make sure that the phone connection is alright and Yixing asks for him to repeat what he just said because his phone made a weird beeping sound during his question. Jongin sighs and then repeats what he asked before and Yixing makes a humming sound as he contemplates the question. The longer it takes for him to answer though, the more irrationally worried Jongin gets, until finally Yixing gives a response.

 

"No. With you three...I feel...almost completely full, if that makes sense?...I love you guys, man."

 

Tears brim at the sides of Jongin's eyes at that and he sniffles and playfully scolds Yixing, telling him not to worry him like that.

 

"Why would you be worried?" Yixing asks, quietly. "I thought you'd know this by now."

 

"I do--it's just..." Jongin replies, running a hand through his hair. "...You took like a minute to even answer."

 

"Ha, it was not a minute."

 

"It so was!"

 

Yixing chuckles at that and replies, "I was just trying to find the right words."

 

Jongin harrumphs. "Well...I'm glad though that we can make you feel full, Yixing. I--"

 

He then pauses when he hears Yixing guffawing on the other end, and asks him what's so funny. Then, his mouth drops open in disbelief when Yixing says that it's because of him. Yixing continues to laugh and mocks what Jongin just said a few seconds ago.

 

Jongin crinkles his nose and says, "Hey, you're the one who said that you felt 'full' first--not me."

 

"I know, but--" Yixing says, his laughter slowly quieting down. "--you make it sound so corny."

 

Jongin then lets out a whining noise from the back of his throat and that gets Yixing laughing all over again. Jongin soon finds himself smiling and then laughing right along with his best friend--happy that he could bring up the other's somber mood somehow, if even for this moment. Soon though, their laughter dies down and Jongin glances at a football/soccer poster on his wall, trying to think of a new topic to talk about now since they've been on the phone for almost two hours now.

 

Yixing breaks the silence for h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter