Universal Stardust

Bus Rides & Sleepy Misses
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

---

 

It's a late Tuesday morning and Baekhyun's currently in his theater arts class, along with Kyungsoo and Jongdae. They're at the usual curved table desks, surrounded by their fellow classmates who are chatting and laughing about various topics. Their teacher, Ms. Jung, hasn't shown up yet and it's been around three minutes since the class was scheduled to start.

 

It's not the first time that she's been late so no one's really worried. And Ms. Jung's sister/student, Soo-Jung, doesn't look bothered by her sister's absence either as she chats happily with a girl named Amber in the row of seats in front of them. But then, more minutes go by and some people start to talk about possible reasons for why Ms. Jung is late to her own class. Soo-jung turns to glare at the gossiping ones, and the classmates who were talking about her sister instantly drop the topic. With a slight smirk on her face, she then turns back around to talk to Amber again.

 

And so a few more minutes go by, with Kyungsoo talking about how nervous he is about his date that's five whole days away and Jongdae assuring him that it'll go well. And Baekhyun, being the good friend he is, plays on his phone and tells Kyungsoo to get a grip please. (He already had to deal with Kyungsoo panicking two days ago, and already knows he'll get more frantic calls and texts from him all the way until Sunday.)

 

Some seconds later, Ms. Jung finally barges through the classroom door with a cup of coffee in her left hand and her work-bag over her shoulder. Everyone turns at her entrance and she apologizes profusely for being late while going to her desk to set things up for the discussion of the day. Most of them tell her that it's fine while a few fake-groan at her arrival, since it means class will have to start. She smiles a bit and when she's ready with everything, she starts the class off by talking about a classic play while gesturing with her hands.
 

---

 

Some hours later, Baekhyun's laying stomach down on his bed, alone in his dorm room. He's currently on the phone talking to his best friend/long-time crush from high school, Chanyeol. The two of them go to different colleges (an hour away from each other by car alone), but even with the distance and well, school, they always try to unwind and plan ways to hang out together at least once a month.

 

Currently, Chanyeol's asking him if he'd want to hang out this week at this indoor laser tag place that he apparently likes going to. Baekhyun asks when he'd wanna go to said place and Chanyeol takes a moment to answer.

 

"Uh..." Chanyeol says, dragging the sound out. "Friday at eight?"

 

Baekhyun smiles. "Is that a question?" He can easily imagine Chanyeol's unamused expression when the other sighs and chuckles silently to himself. "Yeah, I'm free then."

 

Then, they chat some more about laser tag with Baekhyun asking questions about how to play the game etc while Chanyeol answers them all before saying that he's not a search engine and that he should look up the rest.

 

Baekhyun frowns and rolls over onto his back to look up at his dorm room's ceiling as he quickly thinks of something to say when Chanyeol suddenly says Oh and tells him the name of the laser-tag place. Baekhyun decides that he'll just look up how to get there later and the topic soon changes as Chanyeol randomly asks how Kyungsoo is.

 

"Yeollie. I'm not a ing messenger bird, okay?" Baekhyun says. "I dunno why you two've been having this weird- stand-off but seriously--"

 

"We're not having a stand-off..."

 

"Right."

 

Kyungsoo and Chanyeol aren't exactly friends with each other like they used to be a few years ago. Baekhyun's never figured out why they just drifted apart the way that they did but he sure as hell is done with it already. The topic soon changes again to Chanyeol's birthday (that's coming up in two weeks) and Baekhyun suddenly gets an idea to get his two best friends in the same room again.

 

", you're gonna love this," he says, covering his mouth with his hand in excitement.

 

-------

 

An hour later after his call with Baekhyun, Chanyeol's sitting down on his bed--strumming some simple chords on his acoustic guitar.

 

His roommate, Junmyeon, came back from wherever and is on his own bed--too exhausted to even scold Chanyeol about his pile of clothes on the floor like he usually does. So, for once, Chanyeol feels it'd be best to not mess around with the older man. Junmyeon's laying down on his back, staring up at the ceiling with narrowed eyes, and Chanyeol starts to play a song--humming the words softly to himself while just watching the ground in front of him.

 

He then thinks about the idea that Baekhyun had for his birthday and smiles to himself. Baekhyun had suggested having a bowling party with their friends and their friends' friends for his birthday. (Though when he'd asked how many people that would be, Baekhyun had told him he'll get back to him on that.)

 

And as Chanyeol looks down at his guitar, his mind wanders and he transitions into playing another song that his fingers automatically know by muscle memory. It's one of his favorite songs, and one that he always likes to play when he takes out his guitar, which in Junmyeon's words would be Too damn often.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter