Fall Mysteries

Bus Rides & Sleepy Misses
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

---

 

Some hours later, Minseok and Jongdae are finally done with work.

 

Today was busier than usual since tomorrow's a holiday all across the country. And for once, Minseok clocks out from work earlier than Jongdae, who slowly ambles towards the time-clock with his eyelids slightly drooping. Minseok's noticed how down Jongdae's seemed today, but earlier when he asked him what was wrong, Jongdae just shrugged and left to go out for his lunch break.

 

Now the two of them are walking towards the usual coffee-shop and Minseok looks at a shop menu-board that has chalk-art of a tree with falling leaves. It reminds him of how many people are dying this season and he turns to Jongdae and talks about how many flowers for funerals he rung up today. Instead of a cackle and a You're so morbid, Min like he'd expect--he only gets a sad murmur of Same here from Jongdae.

 

Minseok blinks with concern at that and again asks Jongdae what's wrong in Korean. Jongdae just shrugs like he did earlier though and Minseok's frown deepens.

 

As they pass by the usual nail salon, Jongdae lifts his head and gives a small smile to one of the ladies he knows there. She notices and waves back at him with a broad grin on her face, and when they pass by the place, Jongdae's smile quickly falters. Feeling unsure of what to do, Minseok places an arm around Jongdae's shoulders and Jongdae just watches the ground as they walk.

 

Once they're inside the coffee-shop and waiting in the back of a long line, Minseok turns to Jongdae and says, Okay, I'm paying for your drink. Jongdae furrows his eyebrows at him and asks why and Minseok simply says, 'Cause that's what bros do.

 

Jongdae stretches his lips into a thin line at that and Minseok frowns and asks why he won't just tell him what's wrong.

 

Jongdae exhales through his nose. "'Cause it's nothing."

 

"It's obviously not 'nothing'."

 

"Okay fine. The truth is, man..." Jongdae starts to say. "There's no reason why I feel like this today. I just do, okay?"

 

A lady in front of them leaves the line when she sees someone who seems to be an old friend sitting at a nearby table and they move up in the line again.

 

"What? Like you had a bad dream or something?" Minseok finally asks. "Like the ones where you wake up not remembering what happened but it affects your whole day?"

 

"I dunno man, maybe."

 

Minseok groans in frustration at that.

 

At the front counter, a lady is arguing with the cashier in Vietnamese and is holding up the line, and Minseok groans at the commotion while Jongdae purses his lips as they wait. When the lady finally leaves, the line slowly moves up again and Minseok asks Jongdae if he wants an Americano like usual. Jongdae just nods his head.

 

"'Kay," Minseok replies.

 

About three minutes later, they finally reach the counter, and Minseok pays for both of their drinks like he said he would. As they move towards a table with their drinks, Jongdae turns to him and says that he didn't think he'd actually buy the drink for him, and Minseok rolls his eyes as they sit down and tells him that he can buy one for him next time as thanks then.

 

Jongdae gives a thin smile and doesn't say much after that. (If he wasn't feeling so gloomy, he'd probably whine over Minseok choosing the most expensive drinks the next time that they come here.) And Minseok frowns even more at the sight of that thin smile and takes out his phone to take it off airplane mode while Jongdae rests his head on his palm and looks out of a nearby window. He looks lost in thought about something and Minseok takes a quick glance at him before sighing and looking back down at his phone.

 

No one can get anything out of Jongdae unless he wants them to. Minseok will just have to wait until Jongdae's ready to talk.

 

---

 

Several minutes later, Minseok drives home with a slight smile on his face.

 

He managed to get Jongdae genuinely smiling and laughing with stupid jokes and such, so things didn't turn out too somber. Also, his stomach's full of deliciously-brewed coffee, and traffic was actually light for once so he's practically skipping as he exits his parked car and walks towards his apartment building. As he descends the building's stairs, he even hums a random pop song.

 

When he makes it to his front door though, his phone suddenly rings and plays a short, rock and roll instrumental. Quickly, he takes his phone out and accepts the call while also digging for his keys to open the door. With a curious tone, he greets Kyungsoo in Korean as he lets himself inside.

 

"Hey, Minseokkie..." Kyungsoo replies back in Korean. "Um, are you busy right now?"

 

"Nah, just got home--why?" Minseok says, shutting the door behind himself.

 

Kyungsoo sighs. "...Where do I even begin?"

 

---

 

"Seriously?" Minseok says, as he stuffs a few potato chips into his mouth while watching the TV screen in his living-room. "Wow, that's such an thing to do."

 

"I know! He's lucky I'm not the type to murder," Kyungsoo says on the other end.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter