Awkward Dinners

Bus Rides & Sleepy Misses
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

---

 

Luhan expected a lot this dinner. He predicted that his parents would ask him about how the job hunt is going, ask if he's found some pretty woman he's interested in, and ask if he'll ever give them grandkids to carry on the family name.

 

He expected all that--it's common.

 

But what he didn't expect...not in a million years...was for his ma to find out that he and Minseok are dating in the way that she does.

 

Currently, Minseok's atop of him on all fours, frozen with his head turned towards the door, wearing only his boxer-briefs. Luhan's underneath him with his hair disheveled, his jaw slackened, his hands resting on Minseok's waist, and his briefs barely concealing his raging . But instead of a from arousal it's now one of straight up fear as he stares at his ma who has an empty laundry hamper that she wanted to put in his room.

 

She looks calm. Too calm in Luhan's opinion and he's scared that she'll cry, scream, throw Minseok out, and throw him out--'cause he knows how homophobic she and his pa are. But instead of all that, she simply clears as he and Minseok quickly pull apart from each other, walks in, and drops the hamper before leaving and closing the door behind herself.

 

Luhan gapes at the closed door while Minseok starts putting on his clothes to go. Luhan turns to him and quickly gets up to place a hand on his arm and tell him Wait. Minseok stops when he has his jeans on all the way and covers his own red face with his hands. "Oh, Lu."

 

"Hey," Luhan starts, reaching to ply Minseok's hands away. Minseok lets him and they end up holding hands as Luhan tells him that everything will be alright.

 

Inwardly, he doesn't actually believe that but he figures that maybe if he says that out loud enough times it'll actually come true. But Minseok continues to panic, listing off all the ways that this night could affect the rest of their lives as they both sit back down on the bed, and Luhan lets go of one of his hands to tap the bottom of Minseok's chin. Minseok's eyelids lower a bit at the touch and he rests his head on one of Luhan's shoulders--his voice quieting until they're both sitting in silence.

 

------

 

in' , Chanyeol thinks.

 

Chanyeol's been trying to pretend that everything's fine, but really, he feels horrible right now. Though, if he's being honest, he and Kyungsoo have never not been awkward in some way during a Thanksgiving dinner.

 

Currently, Chanyeol's sitting next to Kyungsoo (and trying not to dig a hole and die) while his mom and Kyungsoo's parents are sitting on the opposite end--chatting like the old friends that they are. And the food's great and all, but he can barely concentrate on the appealing flavors when he feels as ty as he does. So, he just stares blankly at his food as he takes bites out of it while a sad melody plays in his mind.

 

When everyone's finished eating and plates are loaded in the dishwasher, the elders excuse themselves to gab about everything under the sun in the livingroom--leaving Kyungsoo and Chanyeol alone in the kitchen. Chanyeol's left eye twitches when he locks eyes with a wide-eyed Kyungsoo and he curses in his mind when he imagines backing Kyungsoo up against the fridge there and kissing the living daylight out of those plump lips of his.

 

With a red face, Chanyeol quickly walks past Kyungsoo out of the room--passing his mom and Kyungsoo's parents and ignoring their curious looks as he opens the front porch door and walks outside. Then, he closes the door just as quickly as he opened it and sprints towards the sole tree in the backyard before sitting at the foot of it and trying to calm himself down.

 

With his head leaning back onto the tree, he looks up at the sky and the pretty twinkling stars, just regretting his life choices, before he closes his eyes and decides to take a nap there.

 

------

 

When Kyungsoo goes out to the backyard (after his mom told him to check on Chanyeol), his eyes widen at the sight of Chanyeol laying against the backyard tree with his head lolled back. He quickly rushes towards the other man and bends down to pat Chanyeol's cheeks only to sigh in relief when he realizes that Chanyeol's just sleeping.

 

Then, he decides to sit down next to him and look up at the night sky after looking back at the open porch-door. (He can still see his parents and Chanyeol's mom chatting on the couch and figures that it's best to pretend like he and Chanyeol are having some kinda heart-to-heart right now.) A second later, he turns to look at Chanyeol and shudders a bit when he sees that Chanyeol's eyelids are raised a bit now.

 

Watching Chanyeol sleep with his eyes open instantly reminds Kyungsoo of this one time, back during the summer before eighth grade. He had slept over at Chanyeol's house and had gotten up during the night to use the bathroom, and when he came back into Chanyeol's room and the room-light, he saw that Chanyeol's eyes were open and assumed that he was awake like him.

 

So, he ended up talking to Chanyeol as if he was awake, confessing about the crush that he had on him for a few years then, and then turned off the light and fell back asleep with red cheeks. When the sun came up the next day and they were both actually awake, Kyungsoo had asked Chanyeol what he thought about what he said with wide, hopeful eyes...

 

"What'dya say?" Chanyeol had asked while munching on some chocolatey cereal.

 

Kyungsoo had blinked and then frowned before saying, "Nothing. Nevermind."

 

Chanyeol let it go and then about two weeks later (aka the day that Kyungsoo's heart really broke), Chanyeol had started talking about some cute girl that he met at their local park. And to Kyungsoo's mind back then, Chanyeol talking about some crush while knowing that he liked him made him a complete . And it wasn't even until the middle of freshman year that it hit K

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter