Chapter 17

Her Own Prince Charming

 

"GuiGui?"

She look back at the voice who called her. "Wang Zi?"

"GuiGui!" He came to her from the shelves of children's toys. "It has been a while. How are you?"

"I'm doing good. Still alive and kicking. How about you?"

"Just the same old me." Wang Zi look at the toys she choose. "For your kids?"

GuiGui playfully hit him with the rubber dinosaur. "You're so funny. We haven't seen each other for a month. How can I have kids at that period of time?"

Wang Zi laughed. "And you're still the same GuiGui that I've known. Cheerful."

"If I changed, it's the end of the world. It's a present for my college friend's son on his birthday. I'm invited this coming Sunday. You? What are you doing here?"

"Roaming around. My charisma is still strong huh?"

"Yeah, just like before."

GuiGui just figured out that she love Aaron even more after she met Wang Zi again.

"GuiGui, can we talk for a while? You know, for old time's sake?"

"Okay. Wait for me. I'll just pay these to the cashier."

GuiGui was about to pay the toys when she noticed a dark blue bonnet. She smiled and remembered Aaron wearing the bonnet when they're in the surplus shop. GuiGui took the bonnet and paid for it. She will surprise him. Aaron was still at work that's why he didn't managed to take her to go shopping.

They went inside a coffee shop.

"You're glowing," Wang Zi noticed. "Is there someone new in your life?"

"After what happened to us back then, do you think I can't find another love again?"

"What do you mean? That you loved me?"

"I thought I loved you then," she said. She mixed her coffee with the plastic stirrer to lessen the heat.

Why I didn't ordered ice coffee instead? Now, I can't drink it directly, GuiGui thought.

"In fact, when you told me that day to had our separate ways, that's the day I'm going to tell you to make our dating official."

"GuiGui..."

"I was so devastated back then. But it's okay. Because if isn't for that incident, I will not find the man I'm really in love with."

Dave felt uneasy. Maybe he's guilty of what he'd done. "Wang Zi, don't be ridiculous. I told you that I'm okay. I'm not angry with you. I'm not angry with anyone. Even Adam and Eve, I forgave already."

"GuiGui, I'm sorry."

"You're so redundant."

He gave out a deep sigh. "I thought, I'm protecting you because I don't want you to get hurt. But when I saw the pain showed in your eyes when you left me, I felt guilty. I followed you. I wanted you back. But then, Aaron stopped me."

"Aaron?"

Wang Zi nodded. "Even before we met that day, me and Aaron talked earlier. He told me to stay away from you."

"What?" she knows that both men are not in good terms. But not to the point about threatening each other.

GuiGui wanted to laugh. Looks like Aaron really like her since then. The 'you're not my type' thing is just a facade. Nevertheless, it was sweet.

"Our companies were competitors in the publishing world," Wang Zi continued. "That time, all that's in my mind was the promotion waiting for me once I satisfied the owner of Vista Publishing. For me to get it, I was assigned to spy at Golden Pages."

GuiGui didn't like the flow of their conversation. But she kept quiet and waited for his next explanation. In any case, she don't have to worry because it has nothing to do with her relationship with Aaron.

"And that's why you get closer to me for you to have access at Golden Pages," GuiGui added to his story. "Well, I hope you get the promotion you're seeking. I'll go now, Wang Zi. Aaron was waiting for me."

"Aaron found out my cover-up and threatened me that if I don't stay away from you, he will sue me, including you."

"That's not true!"

"That's the truth. That's why I told you that I don't want to see you again. I don't want you to get hurt. And now that I've cleared everything out of my life, I'll take you back from Aaron. He didn't love you. He just want to secure his business. He's clever, GuiGui. He only lives for the money. You know it. Everybody knows it."

Her heart refused to listen. But her mind was dictating that she should listen to him.

"No..."

"GuiGui---"

"You're just telling these to get back at Aaron! You're the clever one, Wang Zi! Because if you really love me, you will protect me from Aaron whatever happens. You promised that I won't get hurt. But still, you hurt me. Now that I'm happy with the man that I love, you will ruin it?" GuiGui gave wang Zi a sharp look. "You're worse than Aaron."

"GuiGui, believe me. When I'm staring at you going out of the restaurant, my heart wanted to follow you. I wanted to comfort you, to tell you I'm willing to forget everything I thought matters to me. Because you're more important than anything else."

"Why you didn't do it?"

"You quickly disappeared. I look around the mall. Then I saw you with Aaron inside the restaurant. He was comforting you. I thought he brainwashed you already. That I'm the reason for all the troubles that happened."

"Aaron never said anything," GuiGui pulled her hand. "But thanks for the information anyway. At least, I know the story behind the two of you."

"GuiGui..."

"I have one favor to ask you, Wang Zi. If ever, I don't want to see your face again. I don't love you. I never did. Goodbye, Wang Zi."

GuiGui wasn't hurt with what he said. It was all nothing. What she was mostly hurt is Aaron's participation on it.

All that happened between them was lies. From the start. For how many years she's been working on his company, he didn't bother to notice her except now. He have his own agenda. She should have known.

That's why GuiGui can't let him tell the truth about his feelings. He have nothing to confess. He just pity her, like Wang Zi.

"You're my responsibility." He told her once. GuiGui was his responsibility because he felt guilty on what happened between her and Wang Zi.

She harsly brushed away her tears from her eyes. Hebe was right.