Fathom.

ARMS OF THE ANGELS
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“So…”

 

“So?”

 

“I’m going on a date with Sunny this weekend.” Sooyoung said sheepishly.

 

“Really?!” Despite feeling so hollow inside, Tiffany was actually happy for her best friend. Sooyung had been on and off regarding the idea of dating a doctor for a while. She said she only has one heart and it was very fragile and she wasn’t up for another heartbreak for whatever reason.

 

Taeyeon told her about how miserable and lonely Sunny was since her messy broke up with Hyomin. Tiffany thought that Sunny was nice regardless the scandal. Besides, everybody deserved a second change. Sunny made a terrible mistake didn’t mean she was a terrible person. She had made it clear to the plastic surgeon about Sooyoung and she would not push them to anything since it wasn’t her business but she would not stay silent should the harmless texting happened again.

 

“Yeah, she seems fun.” Sooyoung blushed. “I mean, I’m not only looking for fun,” She quickly added. “I’m not totally ready for serious – full commitment relationship yet but I won’t play her. I swear I will not do that.”

 

“I trust you, Sooyoung-ah.” Tiffany smiled reassuringly. “Have fun on your date! And don’t forget to keep me update.” She teased, earning the biggest grin from her friend.

 

They were discussing about outfits, what to do and not to do on Sooyoung’s date when Tiffany’s phone beeped on the table. She peeked the device, staring at it for a moment then sighed. Sooyoung noticed the switch of the mood in an instant.

 

“What is it?” She asked.

 

“Taeyeon and I are fighting and she chooses to drink it off again rather than solve it with me.” Tiffany tossed her phone after reading the text her wife sent her. She looked away and bit her lips. “Here I thought she loves me.”

 

“Tiff, don’t say that.” Sooyoung said softly. “Maybe she needs space.”

 

“Or maybe she finally regrets marrying me because I can’t give what she wants.”

 

“Come on, you know her better than this.” Her friend consoled her.

 

“I’m tired, Sooyoung-ah.” She finally shed a tear. “I can’t always be the one who surrender and make peace when everything goes wrong. Does she even know how this pregnancy thing affects me? Does she even care?”

 

“Tiff–”

 

“Whatever.” Tiffany wiped her tears. “She can have it her way. I have a court to attend.” She grabbed her purse and documents as she stormed out the door, pressing whatever feeling was raging inside her chest.  

 

-----

 

The sound of the door handle made Tiffany lifted her eyes from the book she was currently reading. She didn’t move an inch although Taeyeon was persistently knocking the door, begging her to open up. She was pretending to be asleep. As much as she disliked the idea of sleeping alone, being in the same room with Taeyeon was too much right now. Her wife wasn’t home last night because YoonA took Taeyeon to her apartment. Tiffany was angry and she had the right to be.

 

It was past midnight when the sleepiness finally kicked in. She closed her book, turned off the bed lamp and took the blanket to cover her body.

 

By the time Tiffany woke up a few hours later, she was feeling better. She found Taeyeon with wide open on the couch, snoring lightly. She was still wearing her socks. There were snacks everywhere. The TV was still on, showing the morning news.

 

Tiffany sighed heavily.

 

No matter what, and despite her ego talking, Taeyeon was supposed to be her priority. She had bound herself to her wife after the holy vow she declared on their wedding. Yes, Taeyeon gave her approval regarding her career. She said she wouldn’t have it any other way. Taeyeon didn’t want Tiffany to stay at home doing nothing. But job always came with responsibility. She never wished her case became so complicated and consumed all of her time and mind. Did she wish Taeyeon would understand that? Absolutely, yes. Nevertheless, Taeyeon was her wife and she needed her.

 

She was supposed to be my priority.      

 

Her anger subsided at the sight. She bent down to give Taeyeon a kiss on her cheek.

 

“I miss you.” She whispered lowly. She caressed the corner of Taeyeon’s mouth lightly and placed a soft peck on it. “I really, really miss you.”

 

She could never stay mad at Taeyeon. The recent issue plus stressful work life took over their judgment and made the problem ran for too long. She realized she was in the fault too. She had handled her latest case for more or less eight months now. Everything was fine before the case leaked to the public and it cost her everything especially Taeyeon. Thankfully, the battle between her client and the government finally found a bright spot. Today was the last court and she couldn’t be happier for that.

 

Tiffany quietly cleaned the mess and cooked some breakfast for Taeyeon. It had been a while since the last time she did it. She made Taeyeon’s favorite: crispy bacon with cheese and omelet.

 

As she was done with cooking, she placed Taeyeon’s clothes neatly on their bed then took a shower. Tiffany was already in her working attire when Taeyeon walked into their bedroom. They fell into awkward silence. Neither of them knew what to say.

 

“Ready for work?” Taeyeon asked to break the ice.

 

“Yeah,” Tiffany replied as she continued applying some make up. “What time do you plan to come home?”

 

“Five – maybe six, why?”

 

Tiffany took her purse as she stole the last glance to the mirror. “We have a lot to talk about. I’ll try to be home before seven.”

 

“Sure.” She answered curtly.

 

“Look, Taeyeon-ah… I’m trying, okay? We’ll work it out somehow.”

 

“Okay.”

 

“I have to go. There’s breakfast in the kitchen. I love you.”

 

Taeyeon smiled a little when Tiffany set a quick peck on her lips.

 

“I love you, too.”

 

The inviting smell came across her nose when she walked into the kitchen. Taeyeon was quite pleased at the sight of the nice breakfast she had longing for a while.

 

“We’ll work it out, Fany-ah.”

 

-----

 

Today was Taeyeon’s polyclinic schedule. There weren’t many patients and she was grateful for that. She had time to think about what was going on between Tiffany and her. She was scared to death to get pregnant. She had thought through it, her body and soul screamed no to that idea.

 

“There’s always adoption,” She mumbled to herself. “But it will be greater if we have them on our own.” She heaved a breath.

 

“Doctor Kim, a patient for you.” A nurse stepped into the room then handed her a folder of medical record to her. “Mr. Lee JaeJoong, come on in.”

 

“Oh?” It was Tiffany’s boss. “Mr. Lee, good morning.” She welcomed him warmly. “How are you feeling today?”

 

“I’m feeling great.” He took a seat. “I come here for my regular check up,” He smiled.

 

Taeyeon did the routine and got nothing wrong – which was good.

 

“I’m glad you’re my doctor.” Mr. Lee said as he buttoned up his shirt. “Pardon me to say this but there are doctors who don’t care much about their patients. Thankfully you’re not one of them.”

 

“Thanks, Mr. Lee. To each their own. No one is perfect, including me.”

 

“I know. I’m just glad.” He chuckled a bit. “I’m sorry I have to put Tiffany to the case she currently handles. It consumes most of her time, I suppose?”

 

“Yeah,” Taeyeon answered unenthusiastically.

 

“Tiffany is one of my best senior partner whom I trust dearly. I make the right decision to assign her in this case.”

 

“Thank you, I guess?” Taeyeon replied unsurely. She was proud of her wife but to be chosen for every tough case made her nothing but exasperated.

 

“I plan to give her a week off after today.”

 

“Oh?” Taeyeon was surprised. “Why is that?”

 

“Today is the final court and she deserves to rest for a while.” Mr. Lee tilted his head. “You don’t know?”

 

“W – what? Of course I know.” Taeyeon chuckled awkwardly. “She told me, yes.”

 

“Very well, then. Thank you, Doctor Kim.”

 

They bid their goodbye as Taeyeon bowed politely to the older man.   

 

A week off?!

   

-----

 

The weather was nice today. The sun didn’t shine too bright and when the twilight started to show up, the breeze playfully danced in the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter