Endurance.

ARMS OF THE ANGELS
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Both women stared at the white device silently. Trembling fingers couldn’t hold the test pack as it fell to the floor. They weren’t expecting that they would success on the first try. However, it didn’t hurt any less. Tiffany bit her lower lip as an effort to push the sadness but failed miserably. Her body shook when the tears descended freely on her cheeks.

 

She felt a pair of familiar arms wrapped around her tightly.

 

“It’s okay, Fany-ah.” She heard her wife whispered. “It’s going to be okay.” She clutched to Taeyeon as if her life depended on her.

 

-----

 

Taeyeon was quiet throughout the movie. Tiffany knew she was disappointed. Her eyes may be set on the screen but her mind was obviously wandering to the other thing. She scooted closer to Taeyeon as she set her chin on her wife’s shoulder.

 

“I’m sorry.”

 

“Hm?” Taeyeon turned to her. “Why?”

 

“I failed.”

 

Taeyeon smiled a little. “It’s not your fault. It’s only our first try, babe. It , but definitely not our fault.”

 

“If we try again and it still doesn’t work. What will we do?” Tiffany asked hesitantly.

 

“We’ll get him. We’ll have a kid. In one way to another, I’ll make sure we have our own little family.”

 

“Should we talk to Yoong?”

 

“I’ll talk to her on Monday. Today, we will have a nice quiet quality time for ourselves and maybe nice candlelit dinner tonight?”

 

That got Tiffany smiled a bit. “What do you want for dinner then? I have meat, if you want?”

 

Taeyeon shook her head as she pecked her wife’s lips. “Let’s go to that Italian restaurant you love so much. Also, do you want to go to spa beforehand? Or better yet, let’s stay at a hotel tonight! We can have a private spa, candlelit dinner and breakfast on the bed all in one package.” Taeyeon suddenly grinned widely.

 

“Why are you suddenly so romantic?” Tiffany chuckled.    

 

“I think we need more practice to make a baby.” She winked playfully earning a light slap from Tiffany. “You can’t deny it, though.” She tucked Tiffany’s hair behind her ear, looking into her eyes tenderly. “It’s going to be like a second honeymoon. Remember Cape Town?” She pecked her right cheek, left cheek, right eye, left eye, the tip of Tiffany’s nose. “Just you and me.”

 

“I love you.” Tiffany pulled her neck and kissed her hungrily. “You have no idea.”

 

Taeyeon smiled at her wife. “Please bring along my favorite y lingerie.”      

 

-----

 

“Thank god we don’t have to pay you.” The three surgeons walked through the hall towards the cafeteria.

 

“I thought your insurance company covers the procedure?” Sunny asked.

 

“Half of it.” Taeyeon answered. “The price I have to pay for my kid. He’s not even born yet.” She shook her head, chuckling to the thought of her future child.

 

“I’m glad to help, unnie. I can’t wait for the mini you and Tiffany run around and give you headache!” YoonA laughed. “How’s Tiffany, by the way?” The ob-gyn doctor was concern. It was their third attempt after all. The first fail might be bearable, but not for the second. The sadness was too obvious not to notice.

 

“She’s good. She’s coping up.” Taeyeon patted YoonA’s shoulder. Taeyeon knew that somehow YoonA felt guilty about the situation even though she had no say in this. She had done her best. The matter was because the higher power had not given His blessing for them.

 

“You’ll get them, Taenggo. You’ll get them somehow.” Sunny smiled supportively at her best friend.

 

“Thanks.”

 

Taeyeon placed her lunchbox on the table then removed her lab coat, putting it messily on the chair. She waited for her friends to get their food. When they all were set, Taeyeon took a bite of the chicken cordon bleu and moaned at the heavenly taste. “I have the best wife in the world!”

 

“That looks good.” YoonA peered at Taeyeon’s food.

 

“Even more awesome in taste.” Taeyeon bragged proudly. “I’ll give you one bite.” She offered her meal as YoonA took it happily.

 

“Why can’t SeoHyun cook like Tiffany? She can’t cook for her life,” YoonA said while chewing the chicken. “Actually, unnie, you can pay me with Tiffany’s food anytime.”

 

“Come at dinner time anytime you please.”

 

“You can cook.” Sunny said. She managed to steal a piece of chicken despite the physical violence Taeyeon threw at her.

 

“Well yes, but it’s nice if she can cook me something.” YoonA ate her own lunch.

 

“At least you have someone to share.” Sunny mumbled absentmindedly as Taeyeon and YoonA exchanged a glance.

 

“So… Sunny unnie, how’s your face transplant patient?”

 

-----

 

Jessica pulled over her car to the driveway. She took her purse then did a little touch up before she stepped out of the car. She didn’t know what Sooyoung was up to. It couldn’t be just usual meeting since they met everyday at the office. What could be the reason for Sooyoung to invite her to this nice restaurant?

 

“I order the usual for you, is that alright?” Sooyoung asked as soon as Jessica sat on her seat.

 

“Yeah, thanks.” They waited for the waitress to fill up their glass with fine wine. “Thank you.” Both of them said simultaneously.

 

“So… what do you want to talk about?”

 

“Straight to the point are we?” Sooyoung rolled her eyes at the impatience.

 

Jessica giggled. “I’m curious, okay? You sound so serious and the fact that you invite me to this exclusive restaurant deepens my curiosity.”

 

“I have something to ask.” She sighed heavily. “I have no intention to open your old wound but… I really need to ask you this.”

 

“Okay?” Jessica wasn’t sure where Sooyoung was going with this.

 

“How was it, dating a surgeon?” She voiced her question cautiously.

 

“Oh,” Jessica didn’t see that coming. “Oh it’s not an old wound, Sooyoung-ah. It’s still fresh.” She chuckled bitterly. “It feels like just yesterday she makes bad jokes about everything.”

 

“I’m sorry.” Sooyoung stated sympathetically.

 

“Don’t be. You have no reason to. It’s all my mistake.” She cleared . “Who’s this guy?”

 

“Girl.” Sooyoung corrected her sheepishly. “It’s a girl.”

 

“What?!” Jessica was clearly surprise by the confession. “Since when did you swing this way?”

 

“Since that jerk cheated on me.”

 

“And that instantly turns you gay?”

 

Sooyoung shrugged like it wasn’t a big deal.

 

“Sooyoung-ah, you’re too old to experimenting.” Jessica spoke as a matter of fact. “I assume your candidate is around our age too, right?” The latter nodded. “You can’t play with people’s feeling.”

 

“Don’t accuse me like that,” The taller girl furrowed her brows disapprovingly. “I’m not going to hurt anybody.”

 

“I’m sorry, it’s just… the last time I check you’re straight as a stick.”

 

“I’m straight as spaghetti before it gets wet.” Sooyoung fixed the sentence. “We’re off the topic too far. Answer my question, please.”

 

“Dating a surgeon big time. There, you get my answer.”

 

Sooyoung was defeated. She slumped in her seat, undeniably down by the answer.

 

“They’re super busy. Their patients come as they please. It doesn’t matter if you are in the middle of a date or when you’re having a serious conversation even during . They come like a wrecking ball and ruin everything and you can’t say anything about it.”  

 

“Is that why you… you know?”

 

“Yeah. It gets lonely, you know? It’s not going to stop. Ever.”

 

“But–”

 

“Yuri is great. She doesn’t deserve it. I’m a fool and I regret it till this very seconds. Loneliness is not a valid reason for cheating. I still love her but she won’t pick up my call or reply my text anymore. It hurts, Sooyoung-ah. I wish I can turn back the time. It’s just a fling out of the need of attention. I’m so stupid.” She shed tears. “I miss her.” She buried her face in her palms.

 

Sooyoung quickly moved to Jessica’s side and side hugged her friend. “I’m sorry. I’m so sorry for bring this up.”

 

Jessica didn’t reply. She tried her best to stop the sobbing.

 

“It’s okay,” she sniffed. “You see Tiffany, she made it somehow. It’s different for every person. Try, but don’t do something you’ll regret.”

 

-----

 

“Mr. Byun, I really need you to talk to me first before you say a word.” Tiffany reminded her client. “They will use everything you say to fight against us. So whisper it to me and I’ll do the talk. You pay me for this.”

 

“They’re really getting to my nerves.” The well-suited man gritted his teeth. “You can’t blame me for that.” He looked away, folding his arms angrily.<

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter