Keep It Together

ARMS OF THE ANGELS
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was almost five in the morning when Taeyeon reached Seoul. The phone in her grip moistened due to her sweaty palm. Tiffany hadn’t called her. It was a good sign. There should be nothing to worry.

 

Taeyeon walked rapidly to the pediatric ward. The sound of her suitcase’s wheels broke the perfect silence. She didn’t have the ID card with her. Good thing she remembered the access code.

 

Her resident and the pediatric resident on call showed her to Aorta’s room. Taeyeon thanked the residents then pushed the door softly.

 

“Tae?”

 

“Hey.”

 

Tiffany was sitting at the end of the bed. Tears were still evidence in her eyes. When Taeyeon wrapped her in her arms, Tiffany couldn’t bear another breakdown. She was so scared and helpless. She wept in silence, holding Taeyeon tightly.

 

Taeyeon kissed the top of Tiffany’s head, assuring her everything would be fine. She looked at her boy sleeping innocently. A tear escaped at the corner of her eye imagining what he had to go through. She had breathed and lived in medical world in all her live. It never crossed her mind that someday medical device would terrify her. Those cables, IV line, nasal cannula, and monitor gave her a strange unfriendly sensation.  

 

“He was fine, Tae, I swear. He coughed sometimes, I gave him warm water to ease it and suddenly – suddenly he–”

 

“Shush… it’s okay, honey. Things happen. He’ll be okay. He’s a strong boy.”

 

“You didn’t see, you weren’t there, Tae. The seizure – it’s – his lips were blue. I – I thought I lost him.” Tiffany stuttered between the sob. “I can’t lose him, Tae, do something.”

 

“I will. I promise, I will.” Taeyeon Tiffany’s back gently. “I’m sorry I didn’t pick up your phone right away. I fell asleep, I – I’m sorry you have to go through this alone. I’m so sorry.”

 

“Just make sure he’s okay.”

 

Taeyeon nodded brokenheartedly. They stayed in silence for a while. Taeyeon felt Tiffany’s weight on her. She must be dead tired from stress and lack of sleep.

 

“Let’s get you some sleep, Fany-ah.”

 

Tiffany blinked, “did I fall asleep?”

 

“Yes. You go sleep. I’ll watch him.”

 

“No, no, I have to watch him, too.”

 

“This is already too much for you,” Taeyeon stared at those sad eyes intently. “Get some rest. We’re a team, remember? I don’t want you to get sick.”

 

“But–”

 

“No but, honey. Come on.” Taeyeon led her to smaller bed next to Aorta’s. She took a blanket from the closet then covered Tiffany in it. “Have you called mom and dad?”

 

“I have not,” Tiffany sighed wearily. “It didn’t cross my mind.”

 

“Okay, you sleep. I’m going to call them now see if they can pick Artery and Venous in the morning.”

 

Taeyeon was about to stand up when Tiffany grabbed her wrist. “He’s my baby, Tae. Help me, please...”

 

Taeyeon bent down and kissed Tiffany cheek. “I love you, all of you. Sleep, Fany, you’d feel better. I won’t let anything happen to him.”    

 

-----

 

“The source of infection is from his lungs,” Doctor Lee handed all the studies he had done. “Bronchopneumonia.”

 

Taeyeon lifted the x-ray then sighed inwardly. “He complained about his throat two days ago. It escalated so quickly.” Taeyeon mumbled lowly, frowning why did she miss the symptoms.  “So what’s the plan?”

 

“Antibiotic for sure. I choose Ampicillin–”

 

“Look, Doctor Lee, I’m so sorry,” Taeyeon bowed deeply as she could. Doctor Lee was her mentor when she was a medical student. The last thing she wanted was to make Doctor Lee think she didn’t trust his judgment. “I don’t mean to question your competency but Ampicillin needs to be injected for four times a day. It’s too much for him.”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter