Secrets

ARMS OF THE ANGELS
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Author's note: Who love drama?

 

-----

 

“I’m sorry if this is way too personal but I need to know the real reason for us to win this court.”

 

The sixty years old man shrugged as he played with his nails. “We just don’t click anymore. The romance has gone. What else can I say?”

 

“After thirty five years of marriage?”

 

“Are you married, Ms. Hwang?” The man shifted on his seat, looking at Tiffany as if she had no clue of how marriage worked.

 

Tiffany lifted her right hand, showing the engagement and wedding ring. “Happily married with three children.”

 

“Three? Wow.” He shook his head in mocking gesture. “I have to say, it’ll bite you in the in the future. I’ve been there, done that. I used to be proud of my family; my wife, my children. I have four – three daughters, one son, all have succeeded in their own career. Who made them for who they are now? Me. Did they remember that? No. I’m in a middle of a divorce. They didn’t even call, too busy with the company, endless meeting, etc. It feels like it’s all coming back to when I was a single man only lonelier and sadder.”

 

“I’m sorry your story doesn’t have a happy ending as you wished.”

 

“Don’t be. Because I’m not sorry. This is the best for everybody. Isn’t it funny, though? I loved this woman, I gave her everything I had. Suddenly, I don’t anymore. Suddenly, I can’t even bear to be in the same room with her. That’s just how life pulls a joke on you.” The old man chuckled then stood up. “You are young, Ms. Hwang, but I believe you’re not that naïve. Especially with this line of work, you know how people can change drastically for their interest. Let me know for the court date. Good day, Ms. Hwang.”

 

After shaking hands out of politeness, Mr. Ok left the room leaving Tiffany with an unsettling feeling.

 

-----

 

“Well… well… well if this is not Doctor Kim Taeyeon, world’s most obsessive surgeon, I don’t know who would’ve still worked at this hour.”

 

Taeyeon looked up from her patient’s chart before cracked a smile. “So the news is true. You’re back.”

 

“Years late, but I am.” The woman grinned. “You haven’t changed, I see.”

 

“Uh… no, I don’t usually stay this late at the hospital anymore. Surgery went very complicated, just finished a while ago and I have to re-check everything myself.”

 

“I’m sorry for what happened. You must be traumatized by it.”

 

“Yeah, I am.” Taeyeon smiled tightly then closed the chart, taking it back to its place. “What are you doing here?”

 

“I’m a new anesthesiology resident. Hospital will be my first home till I finish this program.”    

 

“Four years, Seolhyun-ah. It’ll be over in four years.” Taeyeon laughed at the pouting face. “You’re on call tonight?”

 

“Yes. Got anything else to do?”

 

“Well, no b–”

 

“Wanna join me to light dinner? We can catch up a bit?”

 

Taeyeon glanced at her watch; 22.27 p.m. She had called her wife not to wait up. However, knowing Tiffany, she’d still sit on the couch in the living room waiting for her.

 

“I have to go home.” Taeyeon said apologetically.

 

“You’re no fun. It’s not even that late.”

 

“My wife is waiting. We work at the same building. We can meet anytime. Lunch tomorrow?”

 

“Jihee is your wife now? Woah!”

 

“What? No!” Taeyeon shook her head vigorously. “She’s not – we’re not married. No! Oh my god! She and I are done long ago. We’re not.”

 

“I thought so, too. I mean I heard the gossip but you were head over heels in love with her. I thought you get back together or something.”

 

“No, Seolhyun, no. She’s gone from my life. She’s not my wife.” Taeyeon unconsciously frowned as she grabbed her backpack from the chair.

 

“Who’s the lucky girl, then?”

 

“Her name is Tiffany Hwang. But I am the lucky one.”

 

The pretty woman snorted. “She’s not here to hear that, Taeyeon-ah. You don’t have to say that.”

 

Taeyeon didn’t answer that. “See you at lunch tomorrow?”

 

“Sure,” she paused a little. “I’m going to walk you to your car.”

 

“Hm.” Taeyeon started to move as Seolhyun followed beside her.  

 

A comfortable stillness enveloped the air. Taeyeon was lost in her thought. No one had ever mentioned her ex’s name in a long time. She even had forgotten Jihee’s existence in her life. Tiffany was her center of attention. She made Taeyeon fell in love with her everyday, the feeling was thousands times stronger than she had ever felt towards anyone else. Then, what was this weird emotion?

 

“You know… I used to have a small, silly crush on you.” Seolhyun broke the perfect silence.    

 

Taeyeon lifted up her eyes, meeting Seolhyun’s teasing stare.

 

“I think everybody had that on you. You were just too blind to see. I thought I’d have a chance when you broke up with Jihee. But then you changed and I moved to rural area. I heard you joined the war. It must be really hard on you, hm?”

 

“It was all in the past. I’m happy now.” Taeyeon answered as polite as she could. She was intentionally avoiding her friend’s (kind of) confession. “Well, this is me,” she pointed Tiffany’s white sedan. “I’ll see you around, Seolhyun-ah.”

 

“You owe me a lunch, Kim Taeyeon.”

 

“Yeah, yeah, sure.” She waved nonchalantly as she pressed the remote button then pulled the car door.

 

“For the record,” Seolhyun spoke again before Taeyeon entered the car. “I think your wife is the lucky one.” She took one step closer, eyes unsettling. “You’re still as charming as ever.”

 

“Thanks.” Taeyeon nodded once then got in to her car. She rolled down the window and waved a bit to the woman who didn’t stop staring till her car disappeared from her sight.

 

-----

 

“Babe, can you pick the triplets from kindergarten? I have meeting late afternoon.” Tiffany swiftly served the pancakes to the plate while Taeyeon filled the cups with fresh orange juice.

 

“Yeah, sure. Babies! Breakfast’s ready!” Taeyeon shouted. Soon, the triplets were all set in their respective chair.

 

“I can take you to the office, if you want? Then drop them off. I’ll pick you up whenever you’re done.”

 

“Uh… It’s fine. I’ll drive. I have to go now.”

 

“What about your breakfast?”

 

“I’ll get something on my way.” Tiffany quickly moved to the living room, took her purse then walked back to the kitchen to give everybody a goodbye kiss.

 

“Be careful on your way!”

 

“Will do!”

 

Tiffany had been extra busy recently. Her

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter