United

ARMS OF THE ANGELS
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

She tried to not really think about it. Maybe, sometimes, this moment crossed her mind briefly. It was as confusing as she had imagined. The uneasiness was present, fairly thick in the air, but maybe it was the right time to end her resentment.

 

She had to move on.

 

“Thank you for agreeing to grab a coffee with me.”

 

She nodded shortly then smiled. “How are you?”

 

“I’m good. You?”

 

“I’m good, too.” Yuri sipped the hot drink. She looked around her, smiled when she accidently made an eye contact with her resident.

 

“It’s been a while since the last time we’ve talked.” Jessica leaned on her back, watching the surgeon intently.

 

“Five years is a long time,” she agreed.

 

The moment turned awkward. Neither knew what to say.

 

Personally for Yuri, seeing Jessica, actually sat face to face and had decent conversation with her was a courageous step. She realized it now, she had detested her ex for what she had done greatly. She was in denial for years. She had held in her belief that all relationships she was in and out didn’t work simply because they were just not right. But the truth was, she was scared. What Jessica did to her had left a remarkable scar.

 

The only way to stop it was to put an end to her disappointment. It was time to forgive.

 

“Are you seeing anyone, Yul?”

 

“Not at the moment, no. You?”

 

“No,” Jessica answered quietly. “I think I still hang up on you.”

 

“What was that?”

 

“I did a stupid mistake, Yul. I was upset, angry because you barely there. And I know that was not an excuse but I never meant to hurt you. It was never my intention because I did – do love you.”

 

Yuri knitted her brows together. Jessica said she loves her. After all these time?

 

“God knows how hard I try to get over you but I can’t–”

 

“I forgive you.” Yuri wetted her lips. “I genuinely forgive you. I’m sorry for not being a perfect partner back then.”

 

“What are you saying?”

 

“I hope we both can move on.” Yuri answered straightforwardly then took a deep breath. “I hope we both can give the next person our best shot. Let’s put the past in the past, no more grudge.”

 

“The next person?”

 

“We can’t be together anymore, Jess. I mean, we can be friends, I promise I’ll try to be there for you but I can’t afford anymore than that.”

 

Jessica chuckled bitterly. “Well, I thought we’re on the same page, guess not.”

 

“Sometimes love is not enough,” Yuri shrugged. “I can’t trust my heart on you anymore. That’s the ugly truth.”

 

“…”

 

“Listen, you’re a good person, a good friend. But to build a solid relationship, we need more than that. I don’t think I’m willing to risk it.”

 

“…”

 

“Jess–”

 

“Thank you for your time,” Jessica abruptly stood up, grabbing her purse and shouldered it. “I hope for the best for you, too.”

 

Yuri watched Jessica’s back disappeared around the corner. She scratched her temple, taking a deep breath. Somehow, her heart felt lighter, as if some burden evaporated and in the end, gone with the wind. She finally did it. She had succeeded letting Jessica go.

 

It wasn’t as hard as she thought.

 

-----

 

“How’s your head? Does it still hurt?”

 

“Not really,” Tiffany smiled softly. “Don’t worry about it too much, babe. It’s getting better.”

 

“I’m glad.”

 

“Hmm.” Tiffany planted a light kiss on Taeyeon’s nose. “Are you ready for physical therapy?”

 

Taeyeon rolled her eyes, “I’d say I’m not but I still have to do it anyway.”

 

“You’ve started standing and walking little by little. Besides, it’s you third session. It shouldn’t do you that hard.”

 

“It’s different. When you say physical therapy, my brain instantly refuses the idea. I know that I need it but I don’t want to do it because it’s mandatory. Like… I want the knowledge but I don’t want to study.”

 

“I thought you want to see the triplets as soon as you can?”

 

“I do!”

 

“Then let’s give our best attempt on it. Don’t whine too much, Tae. Let’s do this together, alright?”

 

“Fine.”

 

It had also never occurred to her how draining physical therapy was. She didn’t even do much, just some basic moves but she already breaking bullet sweats. Being sick so bad. If only Tiffany was not there, she probably had ordered the therapist to stroll her back to her room. It was funny that even after years of being together, she still had a huge will to impress Tiffany. Her heart always swelled in pride when her wife praised her. She couldn’t help but become addicted to Tiffany’s compliments.

 

“Eight, nine, ten–” Tiffany encouraged her to go on. “Come one two more, Tae!”

 

“I can’t... oh my god!”

 

“Eleven! One more!”

 

“I’m gonna ugh!”

 

“Yes! You did it!” Tiffany quickly placed a peck on her cheek, making Taeyeon blushed furiously. “You’re so red!” She laughed loudly.

 

“I’m fatally injured, mind you.”

 

It was meant to be a joke. However, Tiffany was not ready for that. The laughter stopped abruptly. Her pretty face turned stiff as she looked away.

 

“Hey,” Taeyeon touched Tiffany’s arm gently. “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to…”

 

“I know. I just…” She tucked some of her hair behind her ear, “I’m just not there yet.”

 

“I’m sorry.”

 

“It’s fine, Tae.” Tiffany smiled a little.

 

The session was finally over. The physiatrist suggested Taeyeon to repeat the practice every now and then but not overly do it. She had nodded and gave him thumps up although inwardly, she cursed at him for making her sweat this much.

 

Taeyeon grunted heavily as she landed on the wheel chair. She was tired. She couldn’t wait to rest and sleep on the bed. As Tiffany pushed the wheel chair to the exit, Yuri walked in.

 

“Did you have fun?” She smirked annoyingly. “You’ve been budging me to let you do stuff. Why are you making face like that?”

 

“This is not what I imagine.” Taeyeon rolled her eyes as she waved her hand dismissively.

 

“Well, I just went to the cafeteria and I met your parents and the triplets there.” She glanced at Tiffany and winked. “Wou

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter