The Answer

Game Of Thrones

" That's a hole in one. " Kyungsoo said as Junmyeon swung his club, sending the little golf ball propelling towards the checkpoint. 

Junmyeon squinted his eyes and grinned, " Your turn. " 

It was a nice day out, and Kyungsoo asked him out for a game of golf. Just looking back, it had been a long time since they even spent real time together. With him busy with the Selection, he didn't have much time to even spend some quality time. 

" So, do you have anyone in mind yet ? " Kyungsoo asked mid sentence. " I can see all the girls are waiting for your answer. "

" I don't know, it's hard to make a choice when its on live television. I mean, father does want me to make a choice as soon as possible. But I can't point out every girl's traits. I'm not being racist, I'm not good at analyzing people. "

Kyungsoo swung the club, " Well, I'm good at pointing people out. I can see the people who stand out, Jiyeon will make a good queen. "

Junmyeon shrugged, " She has talent, I suppose. But you know why she's still in this, father strictly told keep her in the top ten-"

" So she's one to stay, then there's Wendy and Seulgi, right ? " he pushed. " They're both attractive enough, it's just based on who you like. But I find this one girl quite interesting, Bae Irene. "

Junmyeon smiled when he said that, " She is something. " he murmured. 

" She's....odd. Don't you think it's strange that she rebuilt that whole thing all by herself ? Usually parents won't even let their daughters touch tools, let alone this. She has talent, but why do I get this feeling she's...out of place ? "

Junmyeon frowned, " Why ? "

" I don't know, why do I have a feeling she's not from here ? What if she's from outside the Wall-"

" Pfft, you're over thinking. " Junmyeon cut him off. " There's no way she'd risk all this, plus we'd know by now. I don't think she's that kind of person. " 

There was an odd silence between them, that wasn't the first time. Junmyeon never argued with Kyungsoo, it was always some disagreement that caused that silence. And it took some time for them to warm up to each other at the begining of the years, it was hard to relate.

Finally Kyungsoo sighed, " Still, I'm just wanting you to be careful. You are going to be king soon, you'd have to be careful with the people around you. "

Junmyeon smiled faintly, " Yeah, I know. "

" So, when's the next elimination ? " 

" Day after tomorrow. "


I sat between Wendy and Seulgi in the drawing room, everyone was hudled around the big screen to watch some television program. Most of the girls were enjoying it, some were like me yawning in boredom. It was some sitcom that hit number one box office for three consecutive years, and the girls seemed to enjoy it very much. 

" I made a cameo appearance in here. " Jiyeon boasted. " I was the model who bumped into Luhan in the hallway- See ?! " she pointed rabidly at the screen, plus she was hogging the remote.

" Ooh ! You're sooooo lucky, Jiyeon. " Mina said sarcastically. " I wonder if you'll ever star in a real movie as the main character ? "

Jiyeon shot a killer glare, and smiled too sweetly, " I like to not be the centre of attention, Mina. Rather like people who like to show off in their classes. "

She got up, " That does it, I've had enough of you ! "

Jiyeon merely batted her eyelashes, " Now don't get into such a fuss, honey. You look awful when your face turns all swollen when you get mad. "

" You little bitc-"

" Girls ! Girls, keep it down for a second ! " Heechul came huddling into the room hurriedly, his hands flailing around. " The prince wants to meet all of you alone ! "

We all looked at each other, the prince wanted to meet us ? And he didn't inform us before hand, and that was strange. And alone ? There had to be something going on. We weren't even dressed for that, I wore a striped dress and low heels.

" Can we change first ? " Namjoo squeaked. " I can't go like this ! " 

" You don't have time, he's already waiting in his bedroom. "

And his bedroom ? That was fast, and I still had no idea what was he planning to do. Jiyeon immediately walked out first, following Heechul from behind. There we were, waiting anxiously in the room as each person slowly got out. The first few went out okay, then the next few were suddenly sobbing and crying quietly as they got out. 

" What's gotten into them ? " Wendy whispered to me. I shrugged, and Namjoo came back and she was crying as well. 

She collapsed into Mina's arms, " I'm leaving, Mina..." she sobbed.

" W-What ? How ? " Mina looked downright surprised. 

" H-He said, that he didn't want to hurt my feelings any longer, because he never fancied me in any way. " she choked, but then gained balance. " It's alright though, this competition was all about how he felt about us, and he's bound to eliminate the ones he doesn't have feelings for. " and she wiped away her tears.

" Did he say who he did like ? " Seulgi asked timidly. " There has to be someone. "

Namjoo shrugged, " He didn't say, but I think he'll confess to the person alone. " she sighed. " Whoever it is, she'll be so lucky ! "

" Lady Irene ! " Heechul came in once again. " The prince wishes to see you. "

I nodded and rubbed my hands together, all anxious. Seulgi gave me an encouraging smile, " You'll do fine. " and I got up and left the room.

The castle, I realized was a lot bigger than I imagined. Our bedrooms were practically on the other side of the castle , this part of the castle was unfamiliar. This part of it seemed more like a house, and cozy. Our side was all grand and golden with large chandeliers and designs, this part seemed....grand but family friendly. 

This side looked like a private mansion when family were on vacation. Anyway, I followed Heechul until the far end of the second floor using the stairs. We stopped infront of a set of doubledoors made of rosewood, and Heechul knocked first. " Come in. " someone from inside said.

Heechul opened the door, revealing the room inside. I could tell it was big, but it looked comfortable. The king sized bed was perfectly made, the thick blinds were drawn and the light was nice and warm in there. Junmyeon was sitting casually on the couch near the only undrawn window, he was looking out of it cooly while sipping on coffee.

He saw us, and got up. " You may leave now. " he beckoned at Heechul. Heechul nodded and left, administrating he wanted to be alone with me. 

I looked at him and curtsied, he beckoned. " Come Irene, have a seat. "

The way he said it, it was so awkward. Anyway, I huddled over to sit on the couch next to him. Today, he was casually in a striped sweaters and dark jeans, he looked not much of prestigious royalty. He puckered his lips, " Sooo, how about you go first ? " he started.

I stiffled a laugh, " Um, I don't have anything to say ! " 

" Well, I mess up everytime I try to talk to you. " and he stopped. " That wasn't right. I'm so sorry about that. "

I laughed awkwardly, " Nono, it's fine. " then I tried getting into topic. " So, I think you're begining to eliminate people again ? "

He sighed and nodded, " I'm narrowing it down to thirty, there's no point letting everyone stay when I don't have feelings for them. "

" So are you going to eliminate me ? "

" Nono. " he quickly said. " Of course I won't eliminate you, why would I eliminate someone I like ? " and he trailed off, I caught what he said. " I-I'm so sorry I said that. "

I couldn't help but stiffle a laugh, " It's okay, Junmyeon. Go on, then. " I ushered.

He scratched his head, " Well, I'm such clown whenever I talk to you. It's embarassing, and everyone expects me to be confident all the time..."

" So, you're not going to kill me off ? " 

" Well, I was about to ask anyway. Do you feel the same about me ? Or there's another reason you're here, I want to know. "

I was getting tense, what should I say ? It was easy just picturing it in my head, just lie to him and it'll all be over. Say that I do like him, and he might put all this to an end. But I couldn't bring myself to say anything of the sort. Honestly, I didn't know what I felt about him. I didn't know at all.

" Junmyeon, I-I don't know whether I do like you the same way. " I just broke it. " But please, I'm just so confused. I can't lie that there aren't other reasons why I'm competing, but the longer everyone spends time with each other, our minds change so much. Honest to the heart, this game is more complicated than it seems. "

He let that sink in and sighed, looking out the window again. " It's complicated, you're right. Sometimes, I know this sounds outrageous, but I just wish I could be anything but royalty. I'd rather just live like a normal person, if you understand. When you're a prince, you just symbolize perfection ; and people look up to you, they review every decision I make. And it's hard for humans to not make mistakes, and for me it's double the price. "

This was the first time he actually looked real, and not the porcelain beauty that he was on first glance. Even if his problem wasn't the normal angsty young adult frustration, I could understand since both of us were facing problems that were way too complicated for our age. " How careful do you have to be ? " I asked.

" Well, all I've ever done was study and live within these barriers. All the friends I have are either people I meet from relations conventions or business trips, except for Kyungsoo though. Even my parents play a big part in this Selection. " 

" How so ? "

" Wendy is staying since my mother likes her, and Mina since she's from an educated background. My father wants Jiyeon to stay until the top ten, since she's the Governor's daughter, its to maintain a good relationship. Plus, he hopes I can give her another try maybe I could have feelings for her. "

" Do you ? "

" I don't, not really. I regard as a friendly relative and friend, but never like that. Mina, she's just someone I know from class, I treat her like a sister. The rest is for me to decide, and you're one of the few I really want to stay. "

My heart skipped a beat, he wanted me to stay. I wasn't a decision made by anyone else, he decided it. That meant he actually cared about me. Just say it, say that you feel the same way about him too, that sickening part of my brain just kept yelling in my head. Then all of this will be over, get it done right now !

What if I didn't want this to end ?

" So you want me to stay ? " I asked once and for all. 

" Well, if you don't want to-"

" I want to stay. But Junmyeon, I can't give you an immediate answer right now about the way I feel about you. If you could give me time- "

" -Then yes, I can give you time. " he said eagerly. " I can wait for your answer, Irene. "

" Okay, then I'll stay. "