The Pitbull

Game Of Thrones

We were driven to the castle in limousines, I chose to ride with Seulgi and Wendy on the way. As I tried to look out the window, all I saw was just black and blurry. The Government must've knew that there were people who weren't happy about them, so they took percautions. They didn't want anyone to know the exact road to the castle, that way they didn't have to get unwanted business.

And that meant none of us could run away without getting caught or we'd get lost on our way for escaping. This was a dead end...

The Government were smarter than I thought...

" So what do you think will it be like, Irene ? " Seulgi asked me. 

" Be like what ? " I blurted, snapping out of my mind.

" You know, the castle ? " Seulgi said. " The prince ? "

I shrug, " I don't know, isn't he like a prince ? He must be nice. "

" Well...he is a good looking prince. And he looks so confident whenever he gives his speech. " and then Seulgi was sighing in admiration.

" And the way he smiled, it's sooo charming..." and Wendy collapsed onto Seulgi's arms as they both swooned like Jinnie did whenever she talked about the prince. 

He couldn't be that deceisive just by his face, right ?


We had our own rooms, and I was given the one next to Jiyeon. Xia explained to us about our restrictions and rules during our stay here. We could explore the castle whenever we were free, except for the rooms that were labelled ' For Royal Members only ', which we weren't yet. Meals were required to be eaten together in the Grand Dining Room with the royal family, and the Common Dining Room when there weren't any special occasions. 

We were even given our own maids, three actually. When it was my turn, I was introduced to my maids too. There was one middle aged maid, and the other two looked younger. I proceeded to bow at them, and they suddenly backed away. I panicked a little, " D-Did I do something wrong ? "

The middle aged maid shook her head, " Oh no, my lady ! You did nothing wrong at all ! " 

" It's just, we'll get into trouble if someone like you bows at us. " the other maid said.

I frowned, " Oh, um okay then. Hi, I'm Irene. "

They stared at my hand as if it was a really rare animal or something, because they didn't respond to my handshake. I figured a handshake might get them into trouble as well. I awkwardly took it back, " May I know yours ? "

The maids bowed, " Pleasure, Miss Irene. " the older maid spoke. " You may call me Ji Na. And this here is Sunny, and our newest addition Yeri. "

Sunny and Yeri bowed at me, it made me feel uncomfortable altogether. " Let us show you to your room, Miss Irene. Please, follow us. "

We boarded the elevator and before we could close the doors, another maid stopped us. " Hold on ! " and we let them through.

It was Jiyeon and her maids, I told myself to not make enemies here, now it seemed harder than I thought. I edged away a little for them to fill the lift, and my maids did the same. I could see Jiyeon already folding her arms, as if she was already familiar to the place. I didn't really pay attention to what she was wearing until now, a sparkling sequin dress and matching heels, along with the same dazzling jewelry.

" You can stop staring, I know you're looking at me. " she said, without even batting a glance at me.

I turned to look at the ground, but still she wasn't satisfied. " I've been here almost all the time for dinner parties, I'm like family to the prince now. It'll be a walk in the park to warm up to his royal highness. And I suppose the rest of you are here just for the throne and fulfilling your dream of becoming a princess. " she scoffed. " Such useless aims for life. "

I was meant to stay quiet, but she took it a little too far. I held my gaze at her, " Well, if you're so close to the prince's family then why are you in this competition ? Is it because you're more desperate, miss Park Jiyeon ? "

For once, that left her speechless. I had to admit, I was pretty good at the rebuffing part. I took a step closer and crossed my arms just like her, " If you're trying to scare people off like that, that just makes you a spoiled brat. "

Just in time, the elevator bell rang and we reached our floor. Jiyeon glared at me before storming off with her maids timidly following from behind.  I did the same, only I seemed to think Jiyeon was going to give her maids a hard time.

" You will be staying here with our aqquaintance for the time being, please make yourself comfortable ! " Ji Na said. 

I never thought a room back at the house could be any less comfortable than it was, I was wrong yet again. The room could fit at least ten other beds, the soft scent of lemongrass entered my nose. The bed was larger than mine and Jinnie's beds put together, the windows were huge so I had a pretty good view of the outside city. 

It was sundown, and I never saw the sun as pretty as this one.

" Miss Irene ? " Sunny called out to me. " Is everything alright ? "

I looked away from the window, " I miss my home. "

Yeri edged closer, " It's okay, miss Irene. We'll make you comfortable here, just relax. "

I wished I could tell them the real truth behind my entry in the Selection, because it was weighing on me that very minute. My result in this game would gamble the fate of everyone back home, I didn't even think about the dangers. Yet I catapulted myself into this mess, and my mind was this whole jumbled up disaster. I didn't notice I was crying until Ji Na and the others rushed to my aid. 

" Oh dear, miss ! " she said. " Is something the matter ? "

" Nono, it's just- I'm just stressed out. " I said, it compiled everything I was feeling in one word. " That's all, I have a lot of pressure on my shoulders. M-my family's depending on me, I can't lose. " 

Sunny handed me a handkerchief, " Miss, please stop crying. It's okay to feel that way, it is a hard competition. "

Ji Na patted my hand, " It's okay to cry, Miss Irene. But you really can't go back unless you forfeit in this competition. But why don't you give this a shot first, no one knows what the future is, right ? "

I nodded and wiped away my tears, " You're right, Ji Na. I should give it a shot, I'm not going to cry. Thank you, all three of you. "

They chuckled, " It's all okay, miss Irene. Now, we really should be getting you ready for dinner. And don't forget about the Jubilee Ball tomorrow night ! We have to pick out a dress for you ! "

I laughed, " Okay, glad to know there's more to do. "


While we were taking a stroll in the garden, escorted by Xia, he was pointing out all the etiquette we needed to have during the ball later that night. No one was really paying attention, including me. The garden was well kept with various flowers decorating the hedges, a few fruit trees were planted around there too. 

" When are we going to meet the prince ? " Sulli asked all of a sudden. 

" Patience, ladies. " Xia said. " The prince will be happy to meet all of you when the time comes, do not worry. " he checked his pocket watch. " Now please stay here a moment while I go check on the kitchen, we should be having our tea right now. "

Just a minute after he left, everyone was already chattering. Then Jiyeon took the lead and started walking away, " Jiyeon, where are you going ? Xia told us to stay here. " Chorong squeaked.

Jiyeon scoffed, " Oh please, I know this place better than anyone else. I know where I'm going-"

Then something pounced on her, knocking her onto the ground. Most of the girls screamed, then I realized it was just a pitbull. It didn't look it was going to do any harm to her, but Jiyeon was screaming her head off. " Get it off me, right now !!! "

Then a little girl came running towards our direction, she was wearing rags. " Pedro ! " she scolded the dog. Then she bowed at Jiyeon, " I'm sorry, miss. Pedro didn't mean to hurt you. "

Jiyeon flared, " Didn't mean to hurt me ?! That mutt almost killed me ! And why would someone like you be in the castle ? " then she snorted. " You sneaked in, didn't you ? "

The girl panicked, she was tearing up. " I didn't sneak in ! I didn't ! "

" Guard ? Guards ! Someone get the guards ! " she kept yelling.

I exited the crowd, " Can you just shut up, Jiyeon ? I'm sure she didn't sneak in ! " and I went to the girl's side, like I was her sister. " I'm sure she did nothing wrong!"

Wendy and Seulgi walked over to my side. Jiyeon glared, " You're putting your position here on the line, Irene. What if she's a criminal ? I'm saving your life. "

I ignored her and crouched so I was the same eye level with the girl, " It's okay, you did nothing wrong. Don't cry, unni's here. " I wiped away her tears.

Jieyon folded her arms, " Well, I hear Xia calling us for tea. If any of you wish to stay here, I suppose we should follow orders and not cross the line. " and she her heel and left, with all the other girls trailing behind. 

" Why aren't you two going ? " I asked Wendy and Seulgi.

" Well, she really was a pain. I don't care if we get into trouble. " Wendy said. " At least we're proving something. "

I the girl's hair, " Are you lost, sweetie ? "

She shook her head, " I wanted to find Pedro, so I left the line. "

" What line ? How about we walk you there ? " and we followed her to the ' line ' she mentioned. Indeed there were a line of people gathering and collecting sacks of grains. Before we could ask anything, she broke away from us and waved goodbye.


We returned to the dining hall, where they were already having tea. Xia spotted us and his face turned red, I could see Jiyeon smirking at the corner of my eye.

" Where on earth have you three been ? " he scolded. " Do you know how much trouble you could've gotten into, wandering off like that ! " he threw his hnads up in the air.

All three of us didn't answer, we did do something that was against the rules. Tiffany got up, " Now Xia, I'm sure these girls wouldn't do anything the shouldn't. Let's just forget this ever happened. "

He sighed, " Fine. " and he returned to his seat.

We silently giggled, " Come on, our tea's getting cold. " Seulgi joked.