The Struggle

Game Of Thrones

My footsteps close in as I raise my bow, slowly trudging up the leaf-piled hill to shoot down the wild hare that was hopping in the woods. I had been doing this all the time, though I had less luck for food this week. And Jinnie was starving, everyone was. 

I try my best to not let the hare escape, our stomachs depended on it. With my bow and arrow ready, I hide behind a large oak tree before the hare's big ears catch any odd sounds of movement. Its whiskers twitched, and its head moved as it was on its hind legs. I breathed as softly as I could, and got ready for ambush. The hare leapt-

I picked up the dead but fresh animal by its ears, and fastened it at the side of the saddle of my horse, Ginger. It's blood dripped, but that meant it was still fresh. That was the last harvest, after a few more rounds of hunting. I pulled my other leg across the other side of Ginger, settle myself on the back. And with the slight tug on the reigns, it galloped out of the forest.

I wouldn't be able to do any of the work if I weren't wearing pants, which was a ban in Seoul. I had a love hate relationship with being a Minor, if anyone would understand that. I wasn't raised a dainty lady, I would've died out here. Everyone except Minors were banned from doing many things, girls weren't allowed to wear pants or hunt. It wasn't like they needed to anyway, they were all protected within the city. Even the people who live near the edge of the Wall are quite protected, we Minors live outside the Wall.

Some outrageous rule was made that Minors had to ' forcibly ' be placed outside the Walls, because of the lack of space. And we were given the sole threat of losing our lives any moment, and no one cared. Of course, the Government tried to redeem their place of the public's eye by helping us ' anyway they could'. 

That was sending medical help and food supplies for the first ten years, in exchange for our people to become their slaves in the castle. When the ten years were up, we refused to give up anymore of us. And the Government abandoned us for good. That was how my mother died, she tried saving me and my sister from getting killed by a wild boar in the Forest when I was twelve. The wounds on her were far from recovery, and she died in the infirmary. 

I'm a heartless person when it comes to animals, and more if it means food. Just take a look at the three dead hares I shot down, and two sparrows. We're actually not supposed to hunt in the Forest, but where's the fun if you follow the rules ?

I patted the side of Ginger's neck, signaling it to get ready for the big leap. As if something boosted its energy, it leaped higher than before, but barely making it through the electric fence. I breath heavily, but relieved and Ginger's mane before continuing to return to the Crood, our home. 

Th back story behind the neglect of other places besides Seoul, was because a bacteria had infected the people closest to the sea. It made the places within Seoul the safest, and they could save as many as they could within the city. They saved the rich and powerful first, then they used the reason that there was no more place for the poor. 

Of course, they built a reserved area for us. With some camps and food supplies, and that was it. They never told us our houses were not guarded from the Infected, the people who were inflicted with the bacteria. That was also how many of us didn't stand a chance to live, at least we learned to defend our camp years after.

And the Infected must've learned that we weren't people they wanted to mess with. 

I reached the Crood, settled Ginger near the stables and got back to Jinnie. Our people established a new home underground, where the Infected wouldn't reach us. As I walked back home, the market was slowly closing for business. This was the usual time for bargaining, in my case Old Jones. He was this middle aged man who sold bread and milk. 

" I got meat. " I said, bringing up the dead hare. He raised his eyebrows, and examined it closely.

" What do you want ? " he asked. 

" Bread, anything that looks festive. " I said. " It's my sister's birthday. Maybe some pastries if you have them. " 

He sighed, " Not many can afford them, and a hare won't pay for it. The stock holder bought them from the servants who smuggled them from the castle. "

" How about a hare and two sparrows ? I got their eggs too, will that pay for it ? " 

He scratched his chin, " Hmm, alright. I'll get you three, and a candle for good measure. " and he bent down to get the pastries. It was a tattered shoe box, and inside were the precious pastries. I believe they were strawberry tarts, with the bright red coating. No one could afford to even make a cake, pastries were the next best thing. 

He placed it in a small box and exchanged with my hunted goods, and I left for home. Since there were only the two of us, we had a small caravan to ourselves. It was our parents' . I knocked on the door, " Jinnie ? "


The door creaked open, and a little girl appeared in the doorway. She had pigtails and an old floral dress, my Jinnie. Her face lit up like a ray of sunshine as she saw me, and she hugged me. " Unni ! I thought you'd miss my birthday ! "

" Of course I wouldn't, silly. " I said. " And I got something for you, guess. "

We went in our home, and we settled on the little chairs as I put the present onto the coffee table. There were evident stains of blood under my nails, but I washed them out so they weren't that visible to the eye. I Jinnie's hair tenderly, " It's your thriteenth birthday, sweetie. "

" What did you get for me ? " she asked gleefully.

" You'll find out soon enough. Open it ! " I ushered.

Her delicate hands unknotted the blue ribbon and slowly opened the box. As soo as she saw the tart, she squealed. " It's so pretty, unni ! " she clapped her hands.

" Only for you, princess. " I said. 

She shook her head, " I won't be as pretty as a princess. Did it cost a lot, unni ? " she pointed at the tart.

I swallowed down my guilt, " No-no, Jinnie. We can still afford this, and I still got some food for us to hold out until the end of the week. " and I beckoned at the slaughtered food at a corner. " See ? "

Her sulk lifted a bit, " Okay. I believe you. " 

I forced a smile, " C'mon, it's not a birthday without three wishes. Make a wish then ! "

Jinnie closed her eyes and clasped her hands together as if in a prayer. I kept my silence, and then she opened her eyes. " What did you wish for ? " I asked.

" If I tell you it wouldn't come true ! " she huffed, and I tickled her. She squealed. 

" Fine, I'll make lunch. " and I shifted to the mini kitchen we had. " So do you want peanut butter over jelly or jelly over peanut butter ? " 

" Anything that isn't margarine. " she said, and switched on the small flat tv we had fixed from a junk yard the Scrappers brought back a few weeks ago. Yi Fan smuggled it to me while we were patrolling, said it was an early birthday present for Jinnie.

It had faded letters at front, but I could make it out. SAMSUNG, I never heard of it. It didn't require any wires or antennas, so it helped out a lot. As I spread the jam onto the two day old bread, Jinnie watched the broadcasting channel that was within the city. 

" She's so pretty. " I heard Jinnie say as I came back from the kitchen. 

" Who is ? " I asked.

" Her, the queen. " she said, and pointed at the screen.

Queen Yonhee of Seoul, I couldn't deny she was pretty. The bedazzled tiara rested on her head, and she was fitted in an elegant emerald green dress. For someone who was middle aged, she looked so young. 

" Yeah, she is. " I said, and passed her her sandwich. " That's why she's a queen. "

" You could be a princess too, unni. You're pretty. " 

I laughed and pinched her cheek, " Not as pretty as you, Jinnie. Besides, I wouldn't stand to talk act like a princess. ' Oh George, do be a kind man and pass me the brussel sprouts, and add a tint of caviar please ! ' " I acted out and made Jinnie laugh. 

" Yeah, I guess you wouldn't stand to be like that. " she admitted. " Though I really would like to meet her someday. " 

I sighed, " I'm afraid we won't ever get the chance, we're Minors Jinnie. That's just how it works, we fend for ourselves. "

" I made a wish, and I wished for you to stop putting yourself in danger, unni. " she blurted. I ate silently.

She tugged at my arm, " I mean it, unni. I don't want to get killed in the Forest, or get attacked by the Infected. They kill without mercy, unni. "

I flinched, " Who told you that, Jinnie ? I never told you anything about the Infected. "

" I heard the boys talking about it in class, everything they said was horrible. " she shuddered. " But I know it was true, I'm old enough to know unni. And I don't want you to get hurt. "

I was close to crying, I kissed her forehead. " I promise I'll be careful, don't you worry. But since you're old enough, you have to understand that we have no other choice for survival. We were made Minors, we have to take care of ourselves. " 

" That's not fair..." she squeaked. 

That was the reason I didn't want her to know more about the conflict between the Majors and the Minors, it would spark some sort of vengeance in her. I didn't hold a grudge with the people within, there was no point to it. And I didn't want Jinnie to think that we should fight for some right when we were outnumbered. And her safety was my priority.

" Trust me, Jinnie. Not all things are fair in this world, but it's no use battling fate. "


After lunch, I headed to the patrol station. There were Yi Fan and a few more people on duty, they were opening crates. Yi Fan caught me walking over, and he waved.

" What's this ? " I asked, jogging over.

He handed me the gun, " Weapons, they were in the mail again. " and he examined the sets of amo and bullets neatly laid in the crates. " And the food'll be enough for the folks for this month. "

I nodded, " That's good. "

" Um, could do follow me in there for a second ? We need to talk. " he said.

I shrugged, " Sure, whatever. "

We went into the shack not far from there, it was a meeting place where we usually held meetings for large hunting startegies. Yi Fan was one of the leaders of the patrol team, his usual followers were Tao and Lay. And there we were, in the shack. Waiting for us were Luna and Amber, sitting in the dirty living room. 

" What is it we have to talk about ? " I asked. 

Amber beckoned at Luna, and Luna got up to turn on the flatscreen TV we had restored a few weeks ago, it helped a lot in patrolling the outside for the Infected. She adjusted a few buttons, and the channel appeared in flashy colours. " Take a look at this. " she said.

" I know, it's the broadcasting from the city. " I answered. " What about it ? "

" It's about the hundred year celebration of Seoul's revival, and their holding a competition for marriage to the prince. " Amber pointed at the person broadcasted on the channel. " His going to pick one girl to be his bride. "

" And we're thinking, that you're our best shot. " Tao answered.

My eyes widened, " You're asking me to marry some prince I don't know ? "

Luna looked at me nervously, " Well, that's part of the plan. Besides, it's a competition ! You won't actually get married to him, you'd have to compete ! " 

I was outraged, " For what ? I didn't sign up for this ! " 

" This is our best shot of getting into the city, Joohyun. " Yi Fan explained. " People are dying, they need to get into the city. You're our best shot at this. I can explain everything else, if you could just listen . "

I shook my head, " And leave Jinnie behind ? No, this conversation is over. " and I stomped out the shack in fury.

" Joohyun ! Joohyun, wait up ! " Yi Fan raced after me, and he grabbed me by the wrist. " Could you just listen to me ? " 

I hated every bit of the so-called plan, but Yi Fan had an ability to make people listen even though they didn't want to. " Joohyun, I'm not asking you give yourself away to those royal douchebags. You're not worth any of them ! "

" Then why me ? Why not Luna or Amber ? " I snapped.

He snorted, " Their looks aren't even as close as yours, they don't even stand a chance. The thing is, this is important for all of us. " I didn't answer. " I don't have a family, Joohyun. That means I don't have anything to lose, but you do. We can't hold the Infected back far enough from the Wall any longer, they will come. And when that time comes, what will happen to the people that are too old or too young ? "

I said nothing, but he just kept saying sense into me. " They can't fight. I know how much Jinnie means to you, and I know you'll do anything to protect her from danger. So do this not just for everyone, but for her sake, Joohyun. "

" Do you expect me to-to be with the people who let our families die ? " I breathed. 

" You don't have to. Once you succeed the throne, if you do that is, you can throw them down. Put an end to this. And if you want to, kill the prince. "

I a breath, I wouldn't imagine killing a person for that reason. But, he was right. The Infected were coming back, and we can't hold them back any longer. I swore to protect Jinnie from any danger if it was the last thing I did, and the Infected were the biggest threat. I had no choice.

I pursed my lips, " All right, tell me more about your plan. "