The Masked Heir

Game Of Thrones

Ji Na and Yeri fitted me into my evening gown while Sunny did my makeup. Over these two days, I hardly went to bed without a speck of makeup on my face, my skin could hardly breathe. Speaking about breathing, the ballgown I was wearing supposedly was just the right size. But the seamstress said something about enhancing my body proportions, she tightened the waistline for me.

The beige coloured gown had a built in corset, and the maids spent some time loosening it for me, and I wondered how hard it would be to walk in it. Its skirts were elaborate until it touched the floor. Plus the heels the stylist picked out for me were super high, Yeri went to change a lower pair for me. I kindly asked them to do a hairstyle that wouldn't torture my hair, so they did a french braid headband.

I looked at myself in the mirror, I almost couldn't recognize myself. Except for that clear scar against the skin above my collarbone, the dress that I previously wore had a sheer scarf that covered it. I never felt this way before, I felt so insecure about myself. " Um, Ji Na ? Could you cover this spot here, with a scarf or something?"

" Why ? It's you, Miss Irene. You don't have to cover it. " she injected, and she made a move to hold my hands. " That scar is nothing, Miss Irene. Compared to your kindness, it's hardly anything. "

Sunny nodded, " Prince Junmyeon wouldn't mind the scar, he's a good person. "

" Will he really be that way ? " I said mostly to myself. " You're right, I'm thinking too much. "

Besides, I earned that scar out of nobility. 


I ascended down the stairs to the Grand Hall, along with the other girls. Seulgi and Wendy sported blue and yellow, and Jiyeon looked as sparkly as ever with her sequined gown. I looked around, and found out I was the shortest one there because of the height of my heels. As we waited outside the hall, someone who came in made the girls squeal in delight.

Jiyeon was the first to make a move, " Master Kyungsoo ! " she curtsied. 

He wore a dark blue tuxedo, his hair was brushed up. He grinned crookedly as he saw Jiyeon, " Miss Jiyeon, I didn't expect you to be in the Selection. I suppose any girl would like a chance with the prince. "

She chuckled, " Well, the prince is quite the catch. "

Kyungsoo turned to all of us, " And I'm sure he'll be very lucky to meet all of these beautiful ladies, enjoy tonight. Now I must get going. " and he left us alone.

" Is he close to the prince or something ? " Sulli asked Jiyeon.

" Well, he is the duke. It's the closest rank to the prince, isn't it ? "

I was closest to the elevator, so he made a smile at me before vanishing off.

We entered the hall, as Heechul announced our arrival. I paired up with a girl named Seolhyun, and we walked two by two on the carpet. Cameras were flashing about as we made our entrance, making me slightly dizzy. We took our places, our golden corsages glinting under the light of the chandelier. We curtsied, and the crowd applauded.

Then Xia ushered us to stand side by side the red carpet, to greet the royal family when they arrived. The brass doors swung open, and the royals entered. I couldn't exactly see their faces very clearly. I caught the face of the queen, she wore an elegant black dress and her hair was in a simple bun. I understood what Jinnie said when she said the queen pulled off beauty without trying.

The King gave his speech, and soon he officialized the ceremony. I was still wondering where was the prince when this was supposed to be his night. They let the guard enter the dance as well, because there certainly weren't enough men for more than a hundred women in the hall. The guards wore matching black tuxedos and simple black ties. And the interesting thing was all of them were wearing masks.

" May I have this dance, my lady ? " my pairing guard bowed and held out his hand. 

" Um, though I won't guarantee your toes will stay intact. " I try to make a joke, though I was honest. " I've never danced in my life. "

Miraculously, he chuckled. " I'll take my chances. "

" I really don't know how to dance. " I shook my head.

" Don't worry, we'll take it slow. " he persuaded. I couldn't say no, and I took his hand. Soon we were moving around the ballroom, like everyone else. We took it slow, but at least I hadn't stepped on him yet.

Around me, swirls of colours switched every time I looked ahead. At the corner of my eye, I could see Jiyeon wasn't dancing with a guard, but with the duke. Both of them seemed to be enjoying it, I was wondering if she was taking her advantage a bit too far.

" Why are all of you wearing masks ? " I asked. 

" Well, its a precaution to prevent any of you to fall for us at first at sight. " he sighed. " You are the Selected prince's bride to be, it's the rules. "

" Why that's a very ridiculous rule to follow. " I admitted. 

He grinned, " You're quite a charm, miss Irene. "

" You know my name ? "

" The castle guards have been talking about you, you helped that girl in the garden. That was very kind of you. " he said.

I blushed, " No, it was no big deal. She reminded me of my sister, I'd feel guilty if I just abandoned her. "

" The prince will be very happy to know that one of his bride's to be has a heart this kind. "

It was my turn to laugh, " I don't think so, I've never really paid much attention to him. And it's not really something to be proud of, I'm honestly just doing what I'm supposed to. "

" Hmm, I think he'll think otherwise. " and the music kept playing until I lost count of the time. I realized I was getting the hang of dancing, and we were increasing pace. He nodded, " See ? You're getting the hang of it ! "

I laughed, " Thank god I didn't step on you. "

The music stopped, and everyone stopped dancing. We applauded as the king and queen got up and approached the microphone again, for some reason the queen seemed panicked. 

" I'm famished to have everyone here tonight," the king said. " And I welcome these beautiful young ladies to our home, and I send early regards to our future princess out there, we're very happy to welcome you into our family ! " and the crowd applauded.

Then it was the queen's turn, " I welcome all these fair ladies to our lovely castle, to get to know my son a bit more. And I will personally give you some pointers along the way. Now I also must apologize on behalf of my son, for him ' messing ' with all of you. "

The guard who was dancing with me snickered, and he looked at me. " That's my cue. " he whispered and took off his mask.

Everyone around gasped, some girls even screamed a little. And I was just there, clueless... Then I realized the reason, the guard was the prince.

He handed me his mask and went on stage, and I caught every feature on his face. He had rich black hair, fair skin, he had a nice smile beneath that mask. And it left me speechless due to the fact that I was talking to the actual prince the whole time.

He walked onto stage, and bowed. " I am really sorry for not informing anyone about my sudden... absence. But it was for the sake of the competition, and I'm truly sorry. But before that, I have made some changes. "

" It was infromed under private eyes, that a few of you did not help in an incident this afternoon. Some of you even...disregarded that purpose as a princess. And another point of this selection is to find a person who will not abandon the people in need. Now will the guards please escourt the ladies that I mentioned out of the castle ? And I apologize for the short stay here. "

Some girls dropped their glasses in shock, even I was in awe. There was a hidden test for us this whole time ? I saw a few getting escourted out, Chorong and Sohee, Seolhyun and Naeun. Wendy did mention they were walking away with Jiyeon that morning. Or was it about the girl ? 

Anyhow, I remained in the hall. I looked around, the numbers in the hall did miraculously decrease a lot. I didn't know the details, but I knew one thing. The elimination already started. 

After a long silence, Prince Junmyeon cleared his throat. He was still keeping on a smile, " Now we're down to fifty, please enjoy the rest of the night ! "