The Carpenter

Game Of Thrones

The next morning, I woke up back in my room. I rubbed my eyes grogily, filtering my thoughts. The last I remebered, I was in the back garden with the prince. Then it all came back to me, we parted ways after our little ' Truth or Dare ' game. Then that pit sickening horror came back to me, the talent presentation was tomorrow. Judging by the grandfather clock, it was eight in the morning.

Speak of the devil, my maids knocked and came in. " Good morning, miss Irene. " they greeted with all smiles.

I smiled back and yawned, " Good morning... So what plans do we have for today ? " 

" You're free for today, miss. " they said, happy for me. " All the girls have been left to prepare for their gift to the royal family this weekend, that includes you. So, have you decided on anything yet ? " 

I groaned, " Ugh, don't remind me. I still don't know what I'm supposed to do. " I instantly felt lazy to get out of bed, and slumped back onto my pillow. Ji Na looked at me and chuckled, she headed towards the curtains and pulled up the blinds.

" Ahh ! " I yelped and pulled up the covers to cover myself. " Ji Na ! What if someone sees me ? "

She chuckled, " That's the point of getting you out of bed, miss Irene. You can't stay in bed all day. "

I bathed and they fitted me in a retro looking dress, knee length and polka dotted. Even if it wasn't any special occasion, they still insisted on dolling up my hair into a half updo. Honestly, they were some of the best maids I could get and could talk to. Yeri completed my hairdo with a little poppy hairpin. 

" I think I'll settle with this hairstyle permanently, it simple and nice. " I kept examining it in the mirror. " Plus, it doesn't torture my hair. And this flower pin is so pretty. "

" Of course, that's the poppy flower. " Ji Na answered. " It's our official trademark, miss Irene. It's for remembrance of the fallen, during the Infected war. " 

I suddenly didn't feel comfortable anymore, that I was wearing something honoring the dead. I stiffled a laugh, " So, isn't the poppy for like contributing to the dead or something ? " 

" Nono, it can be represented in many ways. It's just the last Prime Minister of Korea liked the poppy flower, and many respected him. So we made it the national trademark. Of course, there's nothing wrong with wearing the poppy. " she kept on explaining.

I knew about the Infected War, when the virus spread like wildfire out of the blue, no one suspected it until it really gotten too far. That what led to the construction of the Wall, how much military power was used to drive the Infected out of the city and far away as possible. And what led to shut down of the other states outside Seoul, hence Seoul couldn't fit everyone in. 

Yeah, pretty heroic of the Prime Minister to abandon the poor outside the Wall. He left us to die, that was what he did.


After what seemed like a quick breakfast, I was supposedly the only one who wasn't exactly occupied. Mina was in the ballroom practicing her dance routine, Seohyun was busy knitting some kind of coat in the drawing room. And most of all, I saw Jiyeon strut out the room with her maids trailing from behind carrying sets of oil paints and brushes.

" What's she doing with all that ? " I asked Sunny on our way to the garden. 

" She personally asked the queen if she could paint a portrait of the whole family, she's heading to the Grand Drawing Room. " she answered. 

I rolled my eyes, Jiyeon was seriously taking her advantage a bit too far. I huffed and walked out the dining hall to the garden again. As I passed the music room, Wendy and Wheein were practicing their duet with the piano and Seulgi and Mina were pairing for a short ballet recital. Everything just made me more miserable, since I had nothing figured out yet.

Plus, I wasn't sure if I could take Junmyeon's word for granted, he was going to choose anyway.

The garden calmed me down all the time, I didn't know why. It had already been almost a week here, I wondered how was everyone back home. I felt guilt, everyone was suffering out there while I was in here having the time of my life. I made a side note to bring one of these dresses back for Jinnie if say I failed to win.

" How about crafting ? " Sunny suggested. " It's a rare talent, and maybe making something new ? Not all ladies can do it, miss Irene. "

I sighed, " I'm not a crafty person, Sunny. Face it, I'll lose right away-"

" Already giving up this early ? " someone said from behind. I spun around, it was the duke, Do Kyungsoo. He looked at me as he approached, " And I thought you were headstrong and determined, miss Irene. "

He wore, I realized, very similar things to Junmyeon. He sported a light pink button down and riding boots, a sort-of smile on his face. Sunny and I hastily curtsied at the sight of him, " Sir. " I greeted.

He nodded back, " What are you doing out here in the open ? I saw the other girls practicing inside. " he said.

I shook my head, " Unfortunately, I don't have anything to practice. I don't have any kind of talent like they do. "

" How so ? "

I shrug, " I can't sing, or dance, or paint. I don't have anything to show, in fact. " 

He thought for a second, and smirked, " Say that again, miss Irene. "

I frowned, " I don't have anything to show ? "

" No, before that. "

" I don't have any kind of talent like they do ? "

He nodded. " You don't have talent like they do, try to figure that out. " and he walked off, leaving the both of us behind.

What did he mean ? I had no talent, I already told him. It was fine enough that I could keep that flaw to myself, and now someone pointed it out for me. And he just walked off like that, like it wasn't a big deal. Even Sunny was confused, " Hmm, the duke seemed off today. "

I don't have any kind of talent like they do.

I was about to forget about it, when I saw a few workmen carrying out a wardrobe from the backdoor. The wardrobe looked fine, only a few scratched places and torn out knobs. Overall, it could still be repaired. Just a few new screws and replace the dented places with new material and spice it up with some paint-

I snapped my fingers, " Let's go Sunny, we have a lot to do. "


I raced as fast as I could in my heels, gathered my maids and a few butlers and headed to the castle's work shack to grab as much supplies I needed. Meanwhile, I asked the workmen to find whatever unwanted stuff that was lying around in the castle. I was sure they would throw them out, without trying to repair it. 

In the shack, I took out tons of paint and sprays, brushes, tool kits, nails and screws ; literally everything that I would need, with some heavy tools I used to deal with back at the Crood. I used to repair almost everything in our caravan, and earned some money by fixing furniture for the folks. Heck, I even turned scraps of junk into reusable stuff.

Furniture was a common thing.

My first target was that cupboard the workmen were going to throw out, and low and behold, the drawers were stuck and worn out. The colour was okay, but it was fading in spots. All the junk-soon-to-be-furniture piled around me outside the shack, it was like I was back to my own self again. Heck, I like to look at dresses, I never wore them. There wasn't a need for that if you did all the dirty work 24 hours a day, so I admit I was sort of a tomboy and I didn't mind getting my hands dirty.

I grabbed hold of the drawers and pulled them out, threw them aside and reached for a screwdriver. The familiar drilling noise sounded as I took out the rusty ones and replaced them with new ones. Then I proceeded with the empty drawer holes, and raided anything that could fit. I hit the jackpot, and found some old suitcases that fit the gaps. 

I loosened the hinges of the suitcases holding them together, so there were enough for all the gaps in dark red, faded blue and mint green. That was settled, and I moved to changing the nails and knobs with spare wine corks lying in the recycling boxes. I was thoroughly having fun with it, and I was about to use the hammer when-

" What's wrong ? " I asked when I noticed my maids and the butlers looking at me inquisitingly, like I was exotic or something.

" Don't you think this is a bit.....heavy for you, miss ? " Ji Na asked. " I mean, you shouldn't dirty your hands like this. This isn't how a lady is brought up. "

I frowned, " Um, I don't think this is heavy. I'm having fun actually, and like the duke said. I have something the others don't have, because they're scared of getting their hands dirty. "

The looked at each other, and one of the butler chuckled. " Miss Irene's right, it is one of a kind. And we will offer you help, my lady. So please, let us assist you. "


The deadline came, and now we were all gathered in the royal drawing room with Junmyeon's family. Since I never exactly lived in Seoul, I didn't know this was also for the queen's upcoming birthday. All the girls were situated together near the fireplace, while the royal family were seated next to us. We were dressed extra nice today since it was an event with the royal family.

I wore a rose print dress accompanied with mary jane heels and a poppy headband, all the other girls looked just as bedazzled. The queen looked cheerful, the King was just as content and Junmyeon was in a casual suit matching with Kyungsoo. Xia came in, and he clasped his hands together.

" Your highness, the girls have been working hard for today. " he said, and the queen nodded. " So who would like to go first ? "

They started with the peformances, with Wendy and Wheein hitting a duet of the queen's favourite song, and Seulgi pairing up with Mina for a dance solo. Namjoo had prepared some cupcakes for all of us and Jiyeon stole the attention by presenting the family portrait she painted. I could see the queen was delighted about that present, as the rest of the royal family was thoroughly happy about it.

Then it was my turn, and I got up. " Um, the present I've prepared for your highness, is a bit big. So I've asked some help to carry them over. " seriously, I was freaking out by the gaze everyone gave me. Jiyeon was pulling a bored face at me, she was getting on my nerve.

Then the butlers came in, carrying the gift under a white table cloth. They settled it on the floor, and retreated. I pulled away the cloth, reveling the gift from beneath. The old cupboard I fixed was now completely different. Without the clean white drawers and paint, it was vintage and retro. The knobs were replaced with nice looking wine corks, the drawer gaps were filled with torn apart luggage cases.

" Um, I replaced the knobs with this caps, and I used the old luggage cases lying around the store for new drawers. And I painted it cream, so it'd look purposely old but it's made new. " I ended my speech.

At first, they were just silent as much. I could see all kinds of reactions from them. Most of the girls had awed looks on, excpet Jiyeon. In which she smiled dearly, " How nice of you to buy such a nice present for the queen, Irene. "

" No, she said she built it. " Wendy shot back. 

All and all, I looked at the royal family. Junmyeon had a wondering face on, it was unexpected. And the queen was just silent, I almost thought she was mad. Then-

" It's beautiful, Irene. " she said, finally. And walked over towards the cupboard, and caressed its surface gently. " It was old collectible, and it broke down a few days ago. I never thought I'd see it again. "

The things she was talking about, seemed kind of emotional for her. I just stayed quiet." I hope you like your present, your highness. "

" Like it ? I love it. " she answered. 

Huh, that turned out different.