The Tug At Heart

Game Of Thrones

" See ? Your hair's back to normal ! " Ji Na said jokingly as she dried my hair. They were getting me ready for a dinner night, with the remaing Selected and the royal family, along with the other royals visiting from ohter capitals. I only remembered hearing the royal family from Rome, the rest was not easy to remember.

" About time..." I muttered. " It's been two weeks since I dyed it ! So um, do they usually come over to have dinner ? "

" The other royals ? " Yeri wondered. " Hmm, not really. It's just a coincidence that some of them are here for a meeting of sorts, and the queen thought it'd be a great opportunity to introduce all the girls ! Well that's what I heard all the other castle maids talking about. " 

" Um, meeting of what sorts ? " I asked 

" Must be economy stuff. But the maids did tell me that the Roman prince is very fetching ! " Yeri oggled in delight.

" Yeri. " Ji Na looked at her sternly. " What did I tell you ? "

Yeri sighed, " I know, act our status. "

I frowned, " I don't understand, what's wrong ? " 

" It's very inappropriate for a maid to fancy someone of an upper status, let alone a prince ! " she said. " And the princes must have many suitors, there's no reason for them to ever fancy a maid. "

" Whyever not ? " I protested. " Didn't that happen to Cinderella ? The prince fell in love with her, and she was a maid ! "

Ji Na sighed, " Unfortunately, fairytale's don't happen in reality, miss. "

" Have you ever fallen in love, Ji Na ? " I asked. " Ji Na ? "

She zoning out again, that distant look like she was reminiscing something. " I have. " she murmured, then she snapped back to reality. " B-but it's all in the past, and I realized I was foolish and reckless and young, and how the real world works. You don't get fairytales. " 

" You seem to have much experience about it. " I said jokingly.

" Because I'm far more older than you are, miss. "


" And so I said ' How about we discuss over a cup of tea ? ' and my grandmother immediately thought I was mental ! " Prince Krystian told us his joke while we were waiting for our dinner. 

All the girls laughed along as he told us his long- and presumably made up stories that seemed to entertain everyone around the table. He was from the descendants of the richest in Rome, that was how he became prince. And his looks didn't lose to Junmyeon.

" Oh, Krystian ! " Queen Marabella chuckled. " Your humor is embarassing us, and your grandmother. " 

Then Queen Yonhee laughed along, " No, of course not. You have a very charming son, Mary. One of a kind, with a good sense of humor. Oh, it's one of the traits our Junmyeon here doesn't master after all these years. "

Junmyeon rolled his eyes, " Mother, it's called native talent. You can't possibly develope it through courses and classes, and score an ' A '. "

The table laughed again, " See ? Your son's a cheeky one, Yonhee. " Queen Marabella remarked. 

" My mother's right, your highness. " Prince Krystian said. " With all these beautiful girls just waiting for him to say yes, and I'm in no progress with any romance. "

Queen Marabella sighed, " Because all the girls have run off scared with his oblivious humor. "

Then we laughed again. 

We had our grand dinner served by the cooks, and it wasn't long until the kings were down to serious discussion over the meal. King Leon was a man whom Krystian inherited his good looks from, King Leon was just an older, scruffier version of Krystian. And I had a feeling Krystian inherited his easy goingness from his mother.

" So is the terrorist problem on your side resolved yet, Leon ? " the King asked. 

King Leon grunted, " Unfortunately, we haven't quite found a way of wiping them out completely. They call themselves ' Monsters '. And they're only purpose is to wreck havoc in an already peaceful city. " 

" Same as we are here, Leon. " the King remarked. " These young people who don't want to lead a peaceful life, go loitering around the city, vandilising public property. " he shook his head. " And fantasising about that fairytale of a dream. "

Hearing them talk about it, I knew this was something I had to tell Kris to find out more about these ' Monsters ' they were talking about. So as they discussed, I saw Krystian suddenly turning his eyes on me in the midst of his conversation with Junmyeon. I was also eyeing him closely, until I carelessly spilt a little water on myself.

Seulgi gigged and offered me a napkin, which I took it, flustered. Then I peered ahead, Krystian was still looking at me. And he winked at me, without Junmyeon noticing. His striking blue eyes looking at me. 

I blushed and looked away.


I knew this was not my nature, and I swore to god I wasn't someone who would play against the rules. But this was a matter of life and death, I had to do something to make sure I was the one to win. 

So after dinner, I had slipped a note to Junmyeon, telling him I wanted to meet him at the lighthouse again. I wanted o make sure I looked okay, I had the nerve to stare at myself in the bathroom mirror for a whole five minutes just to shake off my nervousness. If I was going to win this as soon as possible, I'd have to use Junmyeon's feelings towards me as an advantage, before he has feelings towards anyone else...

I headed to the lighthouse, to find Junmyeon already waiting for me. To be honest, I felt a bit embarrassed since I proposed to this, and I was the one that was late. The moonlight shone on his face, he could pass as a vampire and I wouldn't be surprised. I cleared my throat, he turned around. 

" You're early. " I tried to start off with a joke. 

Junmyeon grinned, " I think I'm right on time, actually. So, now you're here, I hope it wouldn't be like all the other rendezvous I had. "

I raised my eyebrows, " Oh, so the other girls asked you out as well ? "

He nodded, " A few did, but they never knew about this place. " 

I hid my smile, " Okay, and you just agreed to them without caring about my wellbeing. "

Junmyeon's eyes bulged, " Um, I can explain Irene. I can't possibly reject their offer, that-that would be awfully rude. "

I laughed at his flustered attitude, " Junmyeon, I'm only joking. I'm not really offended, I was just teasing you. "

He sighed in relief, " That's good, I almost thought you were upset. " 

I shook my head, " I wouldn't be, because somehow I seem to know that you wouldn't do anything behind my back. And that is why, I asked you out tonight. " 

There was some kind of energy in his eyes again, he looked hopeful. " What do you mean, Irene ? "

I took a deep breath, " You know what I mean, Junmyeon. And this very place marks the begining of it all. "

He took a step closer when he felt it was safe. " Then I hope what I'm doing next is right. " and he slowly laid his lips on mine.

It was exactly like the first time he kissed me on that very spot, with his hands on my back. Only, I was into it this time. Willing or not, I had to do this ; to make him believe that I really wanted him, which I did. He looked so organized, so calm and he looked like he knew what he was doing all the time. I wondered if he knew what exactly he was getting himself into by kissing me, to take me as a whole without question. 

To put his life on the line...

As how much my feelings were real, this cruel acting I was doing were every bit real to put him in danger. The original plan was to enter the city, win the Selection and throw over the throne ; by ending Junmyeon's life. I was supposed to go according to plan, but I was foolish enough to think that it'd be that easy.

Nothing was easy if it toys around with your feelings.

The more I thought about it, the more sick I felt about myself. Junmyeon slowly pulled away, he looked at me like he always did, I only noticed just then, with full admiration. He grinned, that charming grin that always managed to make my insides flip. 

" Why is it, that you always manage to make me disregard everyone else- and just obsessed with only you ? " he asked. 

I was holding back my guilt, and faked a smile. " It's called native talent, you don't attend courses or classes and then score an A in it. "

He nodded, " True. Now here's the real question, I can call everything off if you want to. You can give me the answer I've been waiting for, we can end all this. "

His eagerness, he looked like he wanted to end this. I wanted that too, and I'd stop playing such a dirty game of toying around with everyone's minds, and making them think I really was some bestowed princess to be, when I wasn't. But that meant ending Junmyeon's life too, in my own hands. 

I could almost picture how it would end. I'd say yes, he would end the Selection. Then the wedding would take place, crowds cheering at our happily ever after. Then in a few months time, he would still be happy with me. Then I could picture it in my head, me having a wonderful dinner of our one year anniversary. Little did he know that I had put sleeping medicine into his food. " Dear, I feel a bit dizzy. " he would say as soon as dinner was done. " Could you help me to our room ? I think I need to lie down for a while. " 

I would look at him with such genuine concern that it was obviously fake. I'd clutch his hand and say, " Of course. Anything for you, dear. ". He'd lay in bed, smiling at me and give some random request like, " Dear, you do know that I love you very much ? ". And I'd have to smile like an angel as he closed his eyes. Then I'd take the weapon hidden in the drawer.

I'd raise the knife-

" No. " I pushed him away again. I shookmy head, getting it straight. " No, you can't end this yet ! " 

He looked at me with a confused expression. " Why not ? "

" Because- because you can't. " I was tearing up just thinking about it. " Junmyeon, listen to me ; all ever wanted was for you to admit say you have feelings for me. And I just wonder if you ever were just what you told everyone, or you really are the prince everyone adores ? Just- ugh, I'm sorry I wasted your time. "

" Wait, Irene ! " he called after me desperately.

I was too scared to turn back.