The Midnight Stroll

Game Of Thrones

I walked back to my room, a pool of confusion just swirling in my mind. I was done for, I would never stand a chance. I heard Jiyeon say she was going to paint the royal family portrait, and Yura mentioned she was going to cook or something. And me ?

I had nothing.

I entered my room, and Ji Na, Sunny and Yeri were coming to my aid. " Miss Irene ! " they greeted me. 

" Hi..." I said wearily, and slumped into my dressing chair. " I'm just really tired now. "

" What's wrong ? " they asked worriedly. " Did something upset you ? "

I sighed, " We have to prepare something to show the prince, it's like a talent show. I have no idea what I should do. " and I rubbed my forehead.

" Well, can you play an instrument ? " Sunny asked while she pulled out the pins in my hair. 

I shook my head, " I can't even play a tune on the piano, it's that bad. "

" How about poetry ? " Yeri added. 

I shook my head, and Ji Na patted my shoulder. " There there, miss Irene. You'll figure it out somehow, just have a good night's rest and it'll be okay tomorrow. "

I changed out of my rockabilly dress and into my night gown before blocking out everything bothering me.


" Jinnie ? Jinnie ! " I yell as I trudge through the forsaken depth of the forest. It is near nightfall, I have to get home fast. 

Jinnie should not have been wandering off like that, she should've stuck close with me. Mommy told us to collect the money from Papa Jones and come straight home, and we didn't. It was all for that mockingbird Jinnie wanted to see, it was her birthday after all. She was turning five.

She was demanding, that girl. And I had to give her that small present, just a glimpse of that mockingbird. I was careful, I made sure she was beside me, until we were close enough to see that little creature resting on a branch. She tugged at my sleeve, asking if she could touch it. So I fulfilled her wish, I was quite good in hunting, but I wasn't that good in keeping them alive.

Still, I tiptoed as lightly as I could towards the branch, pounced, and caught the bird in between my palms. I smiled, " Jinnie, look-" and she wasn't behind me anymore. My heart sank to the pit of my stomach, dread was filling me. I let the bird go, and ran with all my might, screaming at the top of my lungs.

I pushed through the bushes with my frail hands, tears of panic just sprouted out. The sharp twigs cut through my skin, but I didn't care. All I cared was where Jinnie ran off to. I pushed through some vines, and there she was crouched on the ground. I ran towards her.

" Jinnie, I told you not to run off like that ! " I was yelling at her, but hugging her. 

She didn't reply, and her whole body was shaking. She normally wouldn't be like that, unless there was something that seriously freaked her out. She pointed a trembling finger ahead. I turned-

A giant feral hog was just a few miles away from us, it was terrifying. Its tusks bigger than my legs, its size trippled a large dog. Its blood red eyes staring right at the both us, it was getting ready to attack us. I was supposed to protect Jinnie, but I was in fear too. We had nowhere to go, we wouldn't outrun that hog. We were going to die-

" Joohyun ! " my mom came running towards us, in her tunic and pants. But she was holding knives, she didn't care and stood infront of us. She kissed our foreheads, and shoved us out of way. " Get your sister out of here, now ! " she told me sternly.

I shook my head, " No ! What about you ?! "

" Mommy will be fine, just go ! " she screamed at me. " That's an order ! "

With tears sprouting out, I dragged Jinnie away from the mess that was going to errupt. She was forcibly tugging away from me, I gripped her wrist harder until she yelped in pain. I didn't care, I had to get her away, like mom said-

A blood curdling scream broke, it was like long nails on a blackboard. I closed my eyes, and just ran blindly out of the place. The screaming didn't stop, it just continued on until it slowly faded. I was partly relieved it was over because I couldn't stand the agony, but that end also left me scared again. Did the screaming stop because we were far enough, or was it because mom was.............dead ?

I ran all the way back to the Crood, and people were already reaching for us. I let go of Jinnie's wrist, it was already blue black. I let the people take her away, and then I struggled to go back. The grown-ups just pulled me back, and I screamed with all my might. I wanted to follow them, but they came back as soon as I broke free. My mom was covered in a white cloth, I just ran and pulled it away.

I screamed.


I screamed awake from that nightmare, my whole body just pastled in sweat. I breathed heavily, clutching the covers of my bed tightly. Tears were just rolling down my cheek, out of fear and suffocation. That flashback of horror was the first I ever experienced since my mom died, I never had dreams like that for years now. Why was it all coming back now ? 

I knew why. Back at home, I had to be a big sister figure to Jinnie, that strong and protected person who wouldn't let my fears get to me. Now I wasn't playing that strong character, my flaws were all flooding in. I was still a human being, and I wasn't a bulletproof wall. That wrecking ball of terror just made me crumble down, and I wasn't ready for these traumatic flashbacks.

I wiped away my tears and got out of bed, put on a coat and left my room. I knew I wasn't allowed to do so, but I had to get some air. I felt like fainting, I even didn't bother to put on some shoes. I managed to slip past the guards, and sneaked out from the door towards the garden since it wasn't guarded nor locked. The guards must've been careless that night.

There I was, walking barefoot in the back garden. Hugging my elbows, the midnight breeze calmed me down. I pursed my lips to stop myself from crying again, it came out like a whimper. I kept walking, and sat below the cherry blossom tree. It wasn't blooming season, so it hardly had any colour to it. I leaned against the trunk, and burried my face into my arms.

I didn't know I couldn't stop crying, they were like rivers that never seemed to end. Until I heard someone call out to me. " Irene ? " it was a man.

I raised my head a little, it was Junmyeon. He was also in his sleep wear, it seemed weird seeing him in grey sweatpants and a black hoodie. He looked....his age. His hair was unnaturally disheveled, like he just got out of bed. He looked at me worriedly, and approached closer.

" What are you doing ? " I asked him alarmingly, even though he was the one that should've been asking me that question. 

" Woah, calm down. " he replied softly. " I just want to talk to you, I'm not going to hurt you or report anything. Since I'm breaking the rules too. " he made a side note. " Can I sit with you ? "

I hesitated but nodded slightly, and he walked over and sat beside me but he left a small gap between us. I tried holding back tears, since there was someone else here. And Junmyeon didn't interrupt at all, he just sat there without even glancing at me. After a while, I finally toughened up and stopped crying. That was when he looked at me.

" Is something bothering you, my dear ? " he asked me gently. That ' my dear ' phrase really sounded cringeworthy. 

I cleared my throat, " I'm not your dear, and I'm fine. "

" Then why were you crying ? " he asked again. " Usually when people cry, they're not sad. But it's because they're scared  or frustrated. So which one are you ? "

I swallowed a lump in my throat, " It's nothing you should know. "

He looked at me worriedly, " Irene, I can't help you if you don't tell me. "

" I don't need your help, don't act like just because you're a prince then you can solve everyone's problems. " I snapped.

He looked taken aback, " Irene, I never said that. I just want to help. "

" Then leave me alone. " I murmured, honestly the last thing I needed was someone just forcing answers out of me. 

Then Junmyeon caught me off guard, he shifted closer and gently wiped away my tears with his fingers. He only touched my face, and I was frozen. What would people think if they caught us ? Two people just sitting in the garden in the middle of the night ? 

I jerk away awkardly, " Your highness- I mean Junmyeon, what if people catch us in here ? I mean, what if they misunderstand ? "

He chuckled, " What is there to misunderstand ? The rules state that the prince can do whatever he wishes to the Selected. "

I gulp, " Anything ? "

He laughs, " As long they're still s, so don't worry. You do jump into conclusions quickly, Irene. "

That made me grin, " I'm being cautious, that's all. "

He nodded in agreement, " True, it's never bad to be careful. How about we play a game of truth or dare ? " 

It was so random, I supposed it was alright. " Okay, then. Truth, do you think you'll find someone you like in this competition ? " 

He thought for a second, " Time will tell, and I am starting to like you, Irene. "

For a second, my heart rate sped up. Was he confessing on the spot ? I wasn't sure, because he couldn't do that so quicky. Then again, if he said so before I could even compete against forty nine other girls who were better than me, this was the best chance I had to throw over the throne. It would rid me all of my casualties and worries, and this hard road would be over. 

But for some absurd reason, I didn't want to double cross him. Nor did I want to lie.

I laughed nervously, " Oh really ? Well, I think it's time for me to be tested. I choose dare. "

He chuckled, " Okay, I dare you to show your best talent two days from now, with all the other girls. "