The Request

Game Of Thrones

I sprang up from the nightmare, panting and cold sweat trickling down my spine. Pillows were sprawled, bedsheets were unmade and untidy, identical to my condition right then. I realized I was shaking uncontrollably, as if I was close to having a seizure. I promised myself I wouldn't let it show, or I would get disqualified from the Selection.

I dragged myself out of bed, crawled all the way to the bathroom, and reached for the small cupboard. I snatched the bottle of sleeping pills I bought a few days earlier, I swallowed down three tablets, splashed water onto my face over and over again until my nightgown was soaked a little. I was begging for the pills to work, because I couldn't shake that traumatic dream out of my head. 

This was the thing that changed the most in me ever since I travelled to Seoul, those dreams I never had before. It was kind of like darkness just swallowing you as a whole, not letting you a second to say anything else. Was this a sickness, or was it just me ? Anyhow, I couldn't afford letting anyone know my condition, in case anyone thought I was a nutcase.

Then the sleeping pills started to kick in, and I was getting drifty again. So I went back to bed, and acted like nothing happened. Slowly I dozed off, then that Wonderland feeling flooded my mind. Appearing in that grand room, with the faint sounds of water dripping down pipes. And there it was, the gigantic tub with mist pouring out, that heavenly symphony that pretty much summed up what I presumed was from heaven...

I was closer to it than I was in the previous dream, I could almost feel the mystic energy protuding from that place. It felt so calm and comforting, strange but lustful. Echos of choirs singing to me, like angels calling out like devilish sirens. My soul was pulling towards it, and I was draped in that sickening desire. 

Then I saw someone in the pool, bathing and his back facing me. His muscles flexed, strong but he still had a lanky structure. I was curious, who was he ? Then he turned around-

Junmyeon ?


I woke up halfway again, the usual sunlight blaring at the corner of my eye. My hands were on my chest, like in a coffin position. The bedsheets lay perfectly in place, I was amazed I managed to settle in such a poised position even with a messed up mind the previous night.

Still, that dream pulled me in. I was intrigued, inquisitive even to know more. Glitches of it was stuck in my head, like a piece of gum stuck in my mouth. That lingering feeling even though I didn't know what it was. I was starting to doubt if I was still completely right in the head. It wasn't , but I felt foreign with it. Why was he in that dream ?

Was this telling me something ? 

I stumbled out of bed, and called for Ji Na and Yeri when I felt it was okay to let them in. I didn't want them to feel suspicious about me, or havoc could've occured. My hair was slowly fading back to its normal color, tints of blonde still visible. They fitted me in a red and black lace dress, Mary Janes, and a few bracelets to accompany with.

The they sighed, " Sunny would've known what to choose for your attire, miss. " Ji Na remarked in a depressed tone. " She once considered opening her own boutique, if she could afford it. "

I swallowed back the sickening lump in my throat, that sour guilt of keeping that piece of information about Sunny away from the very two people who cared about her well being. I stopped myself from looking out the window, not to blow the secret when Ji Na and Yeri were worried sick while Sunny was in one of those yachts visible by the dock if you just peeked for once.

I looked down at my hands, then back at my own reflection in the mirror. Guilt written in bold was all over my face, I wondered if anyone else noticed it ? Which led me to question other things. " What about her brothers and sisters ? Her dad ? "

Then things got even worse, Ji Na was already sniffling and breaking down a little. She shielded her tears with her hands covering her face, but I could hear her choking. Yeri was getting teary-eyed too, and she hugged Ji Na tenderly. " It's no use crying, Ji Na... There's nothing we can do anymore for them. "

I got up, " What's wrong ? I thought I said I'd handle this thing about Sunny, I thought we'd have hope. " 

Ji Na shook her head, " Even if Sunny gets back, she wouldn't have her life back anymore. Her father died of heart attack two days ago, she can't see him anymore ! Oh, Sunny..." she moaned.

I was growing numb again, from the sudden grief I was experiencing. Sunny was beyond lucky now, she would return to a wrecked family. If she could return, that was the case. She was the oldest child, who would be providing for her ever many family members if not her ? Now that her father was gone, they had lost their secondary living from his salary at the fishmonger's to pay debt. Her mother did the laundry for the neighbours, said it was pocket money for the kids.

At the state they were in, her mother would have to work until her hands bled to death. And Sunny's other younger siblings, only two were old enough to work. " What about her other siblings ? Some of them are surely working. " I tried to sound hopeful.

But Ji Na just gave me a disappointing shake of her head, " One's working with the marines, he won't be back until spring the next two years. The girl is selling sweets by a bistro downtown, and I think she's selling more than just sweets to men. " Ji Na said darkly. " She left school at a young age, thinks anything is possible with money. Sunny cried, miss. She was worried sick ! "

Yeri nodded, " I knew her brother, the one with the marines. Told me he and Sunny gave up school to save the money for the young ones, and they had to pay the heavy debt they had. " she added. " What is her mother going to do now, miss ? With two of her responsible children gone, and stuck with a good for nothing e for a daughter ! It's shameful, miss ! Worse than being a castle maid that actually has dignity ! "

I shook my head, feeling stupid because I only knew how bad the situation was when it was already in dire crisis. I had no idea Sunny had such a miserable life, probably as much misery I had outside the Walls. And she didn't deserve that kind of fate as much as everyone else outside the safety of the city, she was innocent.

I had to do something.


 " Are you planning to do any charity events after this, Junmyeon ? " Wendy asked during dinner, we had the chance to dine with the prince again. 

Junmyeon chuckled, " Actually, I was planning to sponsor a celebration for Red Nose Day. It's a very special event for donation, I really appreciate you for asking. "

Jiyeon giggled, " Well, we shouldn't expect any less from the prince of the people ! " and all the other girls nodded and giggled.

Under the table, I was constantly rubbing my knuckled. Revising my lines, and remembering the steps I planned to take when I had the chance. Then soon enough, dinner was over. As we all got up and were starting to leave the place, I walked up to Junmyeon. I cursed under my breath when I saw Jiyeon still holding back Junmyeon. They were chatting away, mostly Jiyeon steering the conversation.

" My father's very supportive of things like this. " Jiyeon said as she smiled. " He'll agree immediately to this event, we should serve the people, is it not ? " 

" That's very kind of you, Jiyeon. " Junmyeon answered. " I never thought you'd step out and help to this extent, to my surprise and honor. "

Jiyeon smiled and took his hand, " You taught me that, Junmyeon. It'd be an honor to stand beside you and serve for the people. " 

I clenched my jaw, and walked towards them. Some kind of hatred just bubbling in me, wanting me to slap Jiyeon on the perfect face of hers. " Ahem. " I sounded and got their attention. Like usual, Jiyeon gritted her teeth and sneered at me. 

" Irene, you do know interrupting a conversation is terribly rude, don't you ? " she said, crossing her arms.

I ignored her, " Junmyeon, I need to talk to you. Alone. " 

Jiyeon frowned, " What's wrong with talking out in the open ? "

I stayed patient, " I think you've heard about privacy, Jiyeon ? "

Junmyeon stepped in, " Jiyeon, will you excuse us ? "

Jiyeon broke into a smile as she faced Junmyeon, that faker. " As you wish, Junmyeon. Well, I must leave. Goodnight. " she said curtly and walked away. Her heels clicking on the marble floor, her hair sashayed from behind. 

" It's not you to ask, Irene. " Junmyeon remarked as he brought me to the library. " Usually I'd be one proposing these secret rendezvous. " and he laughed at his own words.

I was in no mood to joke, so I turned blunt and honest. " I'm not here to have a date with you, Junmyeon. "

He stopped walking and turned to me, " Then why would you want to talk to me alone ? " as he closed the door of the library. 

" It's important, I didn't want anyone eavesdropping. " I let out a breath. " It's about Sunny Lee, my maid. "

Junmyeon looked at me as if I was ludicrous, " The one who was arrested ? "

I nodded, " Yes, I know she's...gone now. But her family's suffering, Junmyeon. Her father passed away a few days ago, now her mother's the only source of income for the household. You can't possibly turn a blind eye, Junmyeon. "

Junmyeon was silent for a second, " I'm terribly sorry to hear about Sunny's family situation, Irene. Tell me, what do you want me to do ? "

" Help them. " I said. " They need money, more than ever right now. With Sunny gone, they're practically starving. They need help, I'm only asking for that. "

He turned away and looked into the fireplace, " The law is hard but it is the law, Irene. The verdict's family is not given assistance, and that's that. I have my limitations and I can't disobey my restrictions. There are certain things that I can't interfere. It's not my duty-"

" -you're lying ! " I protested. " I saw you and Kyungsoo that day ! You were talking about Mina, and she turned out safe. "

He looked shocked, " You were eavesdropping ? "

" Never mind that ! What matters is that you didn't follow the rules ! " I carried on. " The whole reason I turned to you was because I was sure you'd help ! This isn't you, Junmyeon. You're kind and you won't turn your back on someone who needs help. "

Still he was silent, then I decided I had to go all out. " Junmyeon ? Junmyeon, look at me. Look at me, right now. " and I touched his face with my hand, grabbing his attention. He looked forced, but he did as told.

" You said it was hard understanding my heart, or knowing who I am ; now I'm going to help you understand. I'm someone who will help the people I care about, and I care about Sunny. I know I can't help her out of this, but at least help her family out. And you're the prince of the people, aren't you ? Hmm ? "

Junmyeon looked at me, with his sultry eyes. Then he sighed, " You're right, if that's what you wish. Irene, I'll see what I can do. " 

It felt like relief poured into my body like hot honey tea just warming me up on a cold winter. He was kind after all, and by agreeing to this it made sense even more. There might have been something wrong with me, I couldn't help but lean closer to him and give him a peck on the cheek. It wasn't a short one, it lasted for ten seconds.

As I broke away, he was dumbfounded. He blinked back a few times, and I was starting to feel heat at my cheeks. So I cleared my throat, " T-Thank you so much, Junmyeon. And I just know Sunny's family will be so blessed with this help, and I shouldn't bother you anymore. Goodnight. "

" Oh, um goodnight as well. " he answered abruptly before I walked out the room.