The Missing Servant

Game Of Thrones

We got back later, and I returned straight to my room. While everyone else was heading to the drawing room to watch the latest episode of the soap opera, I intended to remain in my own zone to think about everything that happened earlier.

" Miss Irene, why aren't you downstairs with the other girls ? " Ji Na and Yeri came to my aid. 

" I'm not a fan of soap opera. " I shrugged. " Besides, I'm just tired from that trip to the research centre. Ugh, I'm getting a headache..."

Ji Na chuckled and started to massage my shoulders, " It's alright, miss. Yeri, go get a cup of hot tea for miss Irene. "

Yeri nodded and skippped off to do what she was told. For some strange reason, she seemed less cheerful than usual.  " What did they show you, miss ? " Ji Na asked as she brushed my hair. 

" Oh, they developed some kind of memory serum. " I said. " It's really complicated, but it involves triggering a person's memories. "

I looked at Ji Na through the mirror, she was looking out the window. Her eyes were unfocused, like she was worrying. " Ji Na ? " I said, making her snap back to attention. " Is everything alright ? "

" Oh y-yes ! " she cried, and kept on brushing my hair. 

Yeri came running in, holding a china cup filled with tea. At first, I didn't care much of the situation. But I slowly realized these two were acting stranger than usual, and Sunny wasn't even there at the moment. That was what made me suspicious...

" So..." I hesitated. " When will Sunny be back ? "

Ji Na a breath, " She's just ill, but she'll be back soon. " and she chortled. 

" I'm worried. " I tried making her catch the bait, so she could slip her secret. " I know ! Why don't you take me to see her ? "

Yeri dropped the cup, sending it shattering onto the ground. She looked utterly mortified, and Ji Na gave her an alarming look. Yeri gulped and bowed profusely, " I-I'm terribly sorry, miss Irene. I-I s-should go and clean this up ! "

" No, you don't have to. " and I crouched down and started to pick up the pieces. " Ouch ! " I yelped when the glass cut my finger, a hint of blood coming out from the cut.

" Oh dear ! " Ji Na cried in disbelief. " We need a doctor ! You're bleeding, miss Irene ! "

I rolled my eyes, " It's the least of my worries-"

" Y-you could get an infection ! Yeri, go fetch some bandages this instant ! " she was pacing back and forth anxiously.

I couldn't take it anymore, " That's enough ! " I snapped. " Something's wrong, I know it is. Now would you care to tell me what on earth is going on with you two, or you'd like to see me bleed to death ? "

They looked at each other, they were hesitant but they gave up in the end. Ji Na sighed miserably, " Very well, but please, let us fix that cut first, miss. Then we'll explain it to you. "

" Promise ? "

" We cross our hearts, and we promise you. "


After they wrapped the bandage around my finger, Ji Na walked away and pulled the blinds. I already ordered Yeri to sit on a chair for once, and she was awkward with fear. 

" Now then, " I crossed my arms. " can you answer my questions ? "

Ji Na slowly nodded, " We'll try to answer the best we can, miss. "

" Okay, where's Sunny ? " I asked carefully. " And don't tell me she's ill, I know she's not by the way you're talking to me. "

" I-I know it's an outrageous request..." Ji Na squeaked. " but we ask you to keep it a secret, I'm begging you miss Irene..."

" Fine, as long as you be honest with me. "

She swallowed hard, " There was a raid last night, in the servants' room. We were usually informed beforehand, and it was literally past midnight. The special forces checked our dorms, the kitchen, anywhere servants inhabited. "

" What are the raids for ? " 

" It's the government's action to prevent crime, theft, the lot. At first, we all thought we were out of the clear. T-then, they found-found-"

" Found what ? "

Yeri bit her lip, " Sunny was the only one who wasn't in the dorm at the moment, and that meant she was breaking the rules. All servants except guards are forbidden to skip curfew, and she was already in trouble. "

" We figured she might've gone to the washroom or something, but they searched...and they found her..."

" Where ? " my heart was beating so fast.

Ji Na held her head in her hands, she looked so distressed. " They found her at the courtyard, she was wearing a cloak. And they caught her....smuggling. " the way she said the word, it seemed like it was as deadly as curse. 

" Smuggling ? "

They nodded painfully, " She was smuggling food, and used clothes from the castle. She was bargaining with t-the-"

" Who ? " I was desperate. 

" The people outside the Wall. " they whispered.

If my heart was a bomb, it would've exploded on the spot. The people outside the Wall ? That was the first time I was hearing about everyone else back home seriously, but they weren't my ultimate concern at the moment. Sunny was.

" Where is she now ? " I asked nervously. 

" We don't know, they took her away. They knocked her out, and they carried her from the castle. That was the last time we saw her, oh Sunny..." and Ji Na was starting to choke and cry.

I couldn't help but feel as much sympathy for those two, and I held Ji Na's hand. " Ji Na, please don't..."

She wiped away her tears, " We should've tried to help her situation...her father was always sick, and her mother died in the flash attack years ago...oh, and imagine what her brothers and sisters would say ? How would they survive without her providing for the family ? "

" She's the eldest ? " I guessed.

" No, she has an older brother. But he went missing since he was a toddler, and the whole family depends on her...What are they going to do ? " 

" Is it that serious to smuggle anything out of the city ? " I squeaked. 

" Oh, breaking any law in the city is very serious. Only the desperate, are brave enough to do that. " Ji Na bellowed. 

I nodded, trying to let that sink in. All this time, we were the ones hoping for the people inside to sack us with food from inside. Little did we know, that the people helping us with it were in danger of getting into trouble as well. This was a sort of realization to me, and I wanted to help for once. Even if it meant huge risks.

" So is she in prison now ? " I asked them.

" We don't know, the government never tell us where they bring their suspects. It's either they disappear forever or they go missing for sometime, maybe a few years...and they appear again, without knowing anything of the past."

That must had something to do with whatever memory serum they were feeding their victims, that I was sure of it. 

I know my actions would've offended them so much, but I left my seat and knelt beside Ji Na. And for once, she was too occupied crying to even care what I was doing. 

" Don't worry, Ji Na. " I said calmly. " I'll figure out something, trust me. Sunny will be okay. "

She sniffled, " Oh, miss. How can you possibly do anything ? "

" Trust me, I have connections. "


I slipped on a heavy cloak, and a matching face scarf before setting off that night. I had to wear some kind of disguise to cover up the fact I was meeting someone else in the dead of night. 

I retraced my footsteps to the lookout tower, and right to the dock. I remember Yi Fan yacht being smaller, and less clean. Once I spotted it, I raced towards it. Out in the cold night, I tried my hardest to knock loud enough so Yi Fan could hear me, but not too loud that I would attract attention.

" What ? " he asked as he opened the door, he knew it was me. " I thought I told you to wait for the signal. So, miss me ? " and he smirked.

I was trying to not snap at him, but he was putting me at edge. " Just let me in, and I'll tell you more. "

" What the f-"

" Let me in. Right. Now. " my jaw was clenched.

He nodded non-chanlantly, " Get in. "

I went into the yacht, breathing a air of relief. Yi Fan shut the door from behind me. I landed onto the couch, taking off the hood and scarf. I was prepared for his judgement, so I wore a teagown underneath. 

" So, what calls for the princess to visit me at an hour like this ? " he said sarcastically. 

" I'm no princess, and quit playing. " I said sternly. " Listen, I need your help. "

He snorted, " Since when did you need my help ? " 

" Right now, and it's urgent. " I said. " I can't go around freely, whenever I want to. So I need it now. "

He drank from glass bottle, I could tell it was rum this time. I always knew Yi Fan had an addiction to alcohol, I just didn't know it would worsen. Tonight he was in leather pants, a clean white shirt and working boots. I wondered what was he doing this whole time in Seoul, or was he enjoying the time of his life...

He smirked, " You never asked for my help face to face, even when you wanted me to take care of Jinnie. For a Nation's Sweetheart, you're one arrogant and proud brat. Aren't you, Irene ? "

" Do you have to bring that up now ? " I asked through gritted teeth. " Right when I'm nicely asking you for one simple thing-"

" And what would you give me if I helped you, hmm ? " he blurted suddenly. " How would you repay me if I did help you ? "

I swallowed, " You used to never ask for repayments. "

" Times have changed, and I have to. " he put his legs on the table, like a boss. " I prefer you to call me Kris, and not whatever name I had before this. Back to the question, what would you give me if I did what you told me to ? "

He was someone I knew for half of my life, he could be an when he wanted to, but I had always counted on him to settle things. He was someone with judgement, and I was sure his requests would mean something rasional. 

" Anything. " I answered. " I'll give you anything. "

He thought for a second, " Okay then, we have a deal. What do you want me to do ? "

" Find information about this person for me, Sunny Lee. She's a castle maid who went missing yesterday, and try to find her after finding the information if you can. Plus, there's something else. I was hoping you could break into the headquarters of the research centre here, at least try. "

" I can ask Luna to hack the systems again for the information, but breaking into the headquarters might not be done this quickly. I need time for that. "

" So be it, just focus on finding Sunny's information and whereabouts. "

He frowned, " Why are you so keen to find information like that ? "

" I have my secrets, and I hope you respect them . " I scoffed.

" Okay, then. We have a deal. "