The Selection

Game Of Thrones

I had problems sleeping in the girl's bedroom that night, I wasn't used to the bed being that soft. Or the air I was breathing seemed that fresh, or that the roof that was above me along with the walls felt so safe from harm. It felt....too safe.

I couldn't stay asleep for long, so I went through the fake documents Amber and Lay had edited for our scam. I was now Bae Irene, daughter of Bae Jaejun, who passed away due to cancer. God, that sounded so wrong. There was an old photo of the real Irene looked nothing like me, and I said it as a compliment.

She looked taller than me, with better body proportions. She had a type of caramel coloured hair, not specifically blonde, much more colour to her cheeks, and she would definitely be an obvious choice for being Selected. I didn't think I was ugly, but I just wasn't sure if I really could get into the Selected. And with Jinnie's support, I had a lot of pressure on my shoulders.

For all I knew, this competition was like a Game Of Thrones.

I pulled on a floral tead dress, it was knee length. It was the first time I felt insecure about myself, it was the first time I wore a dress. I never seemed to think that it was important to even own one when you're a Minor, how would I hunt with my dress just flapping in the wind ? Yi Fan was right when he said it looked about my size, and I put on a pair of strap heels. 

I try to make my hair stay in place in a braid, I even run some water over it. I looked at myself in the mirror, and tried to smile. I wasn't even going to kill myself, but my heart was almost beating out of my chest. Big day, Irene. I thought, you can do it. 

As I reached the living room, Yi Fan was staring out the window. He looked stupefied for a second, then he smirked. " You look good in a dress, Irene. " he whistled.

I glared at him, " Cut it out. Now how much time have we got ? "

" About now, the auditions are all the way near that building. " he pointed at the tallest building ahead from the house. " There's a photoshoot for the girls participating, only the Selected will be able to go to the opening ball in the castle. "

" So its now or never ? " I asked. " If I don't get picked, we have no other chance ? And this'll be all for nothing ? "

He looked at me, I knew that look. " You will get picked, trust me Irene. You'll be prettier than any of the girls there. You have a chance, so fight for it. This might seem like just some entertaining competition, but its more than that. Those other girls, they're as determined to win as you. If the prince agrees to marry any one of you, your whole life will change. No more worries, no more fear. "

For once, he held my hand and squeezed it hard. It was as if he didn't want me to do it, but he had to. " C'mon, do this for Jinnie. Okay ? "

I nodded, " Let's not waste any more time, let's go. "


The place was packed with people, mostly young girls my age. Everyone looked like strangers, and I knew none of them. All of them were equally pretty, and I saw some of them still putting on makeup and dabbing on powder to cover up any imperfections. A few of them even had much prettier dresses, that looked expensive. Then I realized that was how the rich spent their money.

They were all here to get Selected, what chance did I have ?

I was escourted by Yi Fan, holding my arm like a gentleman. He wore a smart suit, something I never saw him in. We headed to the counter which was situated inside the building, I knew this was a hotel because of what the signboard said at the front. 

At the counter were a few people typing and writing furiously, as if time was chasing after them. Yi Fan and I approached the counter, a lady with dark red hair adjusted her glasses and looked at us. " I suppose you're here to enter the Selection ? "

" Y-Yes. " both of us said, and Yi Fan cleared his throat. " Well, my sister is anyway. "

The woman looked at her laptop again, " Name ? "

" Bae Irene. " I answered. 

" Hmm, let me check your profile please. " she held out her hand, and Yi Fan hastily handed her the documents prepared. 

The woman examined it quickly, " Bae Irene, brother Bae Kristofer. Hmm... I think that's all, now where's Xia ? Xia ! " she called out.

A man with some weird looking hair came running to our direction, makeup brushes and scarves just all tangled up with him. " Yes ? Eugene ? " his voice was a little frantic to be honest.

" Please , Miss Irene for the Selection shoot. That will be all, Mr Bae, you can leave now. " Eugene told us.

I looked at Yi Fan, and he looked back at me. " Take care of yourelf, okay ? I'll be waiting at home, you know where to find me. "

Before I could say anything else, Xia was dragging me away. " We don't have all day, missy. Tut-tut, you have a photoshoot to attend ! "

I was dragged over to another room, it appeared to be full of makeup and clothes. Girls occupied at every dressing table, some changing their clothes in the capsules. Some already wore promising dresses, so all they needed was more makeup. 

Xia turned to me, and a few other stylists came to my aid. They turned me around forcefully, and Xia clicked his tongue. " That dress won't do, and not with that hair no ! What do you think Heechul ? "

Heechul took a closer look at my face, " Hmm, nice skin. Pretty lips, the eyes are perfect. She'll do fine as long as we put on some makeup. And Tiffany ? "

" She suits the goddess look, something white. " Tiffany said.

" That's settled, get going  !" and Xia pushed me right over the place to get ready.

I never had much effort in looking perfect put on me, hence the amount of makeup. I changed into a flowly white dress, and some kind of goddess heels that seemed dangerous. Heechul had painfully pinned my hair into some sort of fishtail braid, it still looked very messy to me. Once we were done, he was shoving me out of the way and to the shooting spot. 

" What are you waiting for ? Strike a pose ! " Xia nagged when he saw I was just standing there like an idiot. " C'mon, we haven't got all day ! "

Tiffany looked at me sympathetically, " She must be nervous, I'll talk to her. " she said to Xia.

When she was beside me, " You're already very pretty, Irene. Now all you have to do is look into the camera and do your best pose. "

I was panicking, " I don't know how ! "

She was patient enough, " Okay, just feel free and try to make this photo count like your life depends on it. Got that ? "

I nodded, " Got it. " and I let myself think that this really was the one that would make the difference of a lifetime. I didn't look into the camera, but I tried my best to look natural. Within a blink of an eye, it was over.

" Okay, love it ! " Xia gave me a thumbs up. " Go on, Miss Bae. You can now wait in the lounge for the results later, it'll be announced in two hours time ! "

As I walked away, I could hear Heechul talking to get attention at the top of his lungs. " Chop-chop, people ! We haven't got all day, the one hundred entries are almost full ! We're almost there, please be patient ! "

I had the help from Tiffany to escourt me to the lounge, she was a little taller than me, maybe it was because of the platfrom heels she was wearing. She wore a black strapless shirt over a trenchcoat and skintight pants, her ebony dark hair waist length. " Tired ? " she asked.

" No..." I said, and I pulled an effort to laugh. " It's all or nothing, isn't it ? "

Tiffany chuckled, " Actually out of all the girls I've seen today, you caught my attention a lot ! You're not a familiar face, that's for sure. And what gets my attention is something unfamiliar. "

" Well, I'm just trying out my luck. " I laugh nervously. " We don't know yet. "

" Okay, I have to go now. " she patted my back. " I hope to see you as one of the Selected. "


I waited in the lounge, just sitting in a corner while time ticked away. Around me were girls, some chatting some were already joking. Some were like me, all grim as all of us waited.

" Who do you think will be called out first ? " a girl suddenly approached me. She looked kind, and bubbly. 

" Um, I don't really know. " I said. 

She nodded and held out her hand, " Hi, I'm Wendy. " she said.

" Irene. " I answered. " So who do you think will make it to the Selected ? "

Then another girl who was reading a magazine silently at a corner this whole time, she dived into the conversation. " Personally, think its no big deal talking about it. I mean its Prince Junmyeon's choice. He obviously wouldn't pick anyone not up to his standards. " then two of her friends nudged her.

" Hey, do you want any refreshments ? " her friend asked.

Her sneered at them, " Ugh, no thanks. I want to fit in my dress once the announcements are over, we all need to look our best tonight. " and got on her feet and walked away.

Wendy rolled her eyes, " She's such a drama queen. "

" Who is ? " I asked.

" Her, Jiyeon. " she glared at the direction that the girl just left. " And she's talking like its obvious she's going to make into the Selection. "

Another girl to my left cut in, " Well, its obvious isn't it ? I mean, she is the Governor's daughter. She'd obviously have that advantage. "

" Then that's not fair, Seulgi. " Wendy said again. " Right, Irene ? "

I laughed it off. " Haha, you're right. "


" Stand in a line, girls ! " Xia instructed us as we gathered in the hall. " We have to do this quickly ! "

We all stand in a line, I sensed the anxiety in all of us. My scalp was aching from the pull on the hairpins, my ankles were getting sore from wearing heels, but I held on. On the stage were Tiffany, Xia and Heechul. All three of them had scrolls in their hands, that contained the names of the newly Selected. 

" When I call out your names, please come onto the stage. " Xia announced. " Now Heechul, will you do the honors ? "

Heechul nodded, and cleared his throat. " Park Jiyeon. "

Jiyeon held her head high, with a proud smile, and walked away from the line and up the stage. Tiffany tied the golden corsage onto her wrist, she curtsied and faced us with that proud smile of hers. And meanwhile my heart was racing. 

" Sulli Choi ! " Heechul continued announcing the names. " Chorong Park ! "

The list seemed like forever, then, " Wendy Son ! Seulgi Kang ! " 

Wendy and Seulgi both squealed as they went onto the stage together, only best friends would act like that. Then again, this was a competition, friends would get into a fight eventually... And I was still in the line, and the hundred selected were almost full. Maybe I won't get picked-

" Irene Bae ! " 

A mix of relief and shock came at me at once, and I had to pinch myself to come back to my senses. I forcefully walked away, each step seemed heavier than the last. I was soon on the stage, and Tiffany looked at me with her twinkling eyes. She secured the corsage onto my wrist, and she hugged me. 

" I knew you'd get picked. " she whispered at my ear. 

" Thank you. " I answered, and curtsied. I joined the line of Selected, and Wendy and Seulgi waved at me to join their side.

Both of them clapped, " Congratulations ! " they said to me. 

I genuinely smiled, " Thank you, and you too ! "

Now was the real test.