The Underlings

Game Of Thrones

We had a trip outside the castle, it was for a press conference for the Selection. Since I got up early, I had a lot more time to take it easy. I put on a bath robe before walking towards the balcony, just staring at the horizon before sunrise. Usually I was out hunting for breakfast at this time, and I doubted I'd be in the shape like I used to have to work on my legs after this.

Which once again reminded me why I had to win this game.

I putting all fate on the line, I was the hope of everyone outside there, I couldn't let my own feelings affect my progress. I knew that when I agreed to do this, that was before I realized deep down, I was still someone who could feel emotions. I spent too long pushing them aside, and now those awful memories were back to haunt me, just thinking about it made me shiver.

Here, I didn't have to be that brave role model I wanted Jinnie to think I was. I had a privilege to feel small and safe, how could I not appreciate that ? Other girls were fighting harder than ever for a chance to change their lives, even just a little bit. I mean, it was every girl's childhood dream to be a princess. I was fighting for the fate of more than a hundred people, and I didn't have that initiative to keep going.

Because I was living a lie, and I didn't feel like lying to anyone now. Not after Junmyeon...

I felt more guilty every time I brought up that moment, I felt like I was cheating on him. I hugged my elbows, just looking at the horizon. It was close to sunrise, the pitch black sky littered with the beauty of stars, was soon going to be swallowed up by the sun. I felt the rough scar against the skin above my collarbone, and a warm shiver came down my spine.

To think he said it was beautiful...


I boarded the same limousine with Seulgi and Wendy, and sadly, with Jiyeon as well. She sat at the far corner, while all three of us were huddled on the other end minding our own business.

When we got out the car, there was clear line for us like a red carpet. There were cameras, and a crowd to welcome us. Overall, the applause was overwhelming. Jiyeon seemed to handle fame pretty well, she skidded off to sign autographs and pose for pictures. I was the one who was awkwardly walking alone, feeling self-conscious. 

" It's okay. " Junmyeon suddenly showed up from behind, and whispered in my ear. " Just act natural, and you'll be fine. "

I tried to take it in, and walked naturally. All of us were dressed more laid back today, so we didn't look like we were flaunting or anything. My maids chose a navy blue swing dress, mary jane heels and my half updo, again with the poppy pins in place. So I seemingly looked the most decent, out of the many dresses. 

" Miss Irene ! Miss Irene ! " some man suddenly called out to me from the sides, I recognized him as a papparazzi with the camera. 

The logical thing that came to mind was approaching him, and I did. " Yes ? "

" How does it feel to be out of the many girls in the Selection ? Seemingly that the public never noticed you ? " he ushered.

" Um, I feel thankful that I'm still in the Selection. And I never wanted attention from the public really, I'm just hoping I am good enough for the prince. " I answer cooly. " It's his decision, in the end. "

" So who do you think is your strongest rival, or just the strongest contender curently ? "

I figured it wasn't smart to put out anyone's names, even if there actually was a name I had in mind. Though it was left unspoken. I chuckled, " Well, I can't deny there is some very strong competition going on. Honestly, all the girls are amazing at what they do. And they're very friendly even though it's a competition, I even have some very close friends. I'm very grateful for all, especially the prince. "

" How do you think about the prince, compared to before you met him in person ? "

If I told what I really thought about Junmyeon before all this, that would not help me. So I coated it with what I felt about him currently, " He's very- I can't say different, but he's just a gentleman that I fell for, he's very kind and patient, just pure husband material. "

The man grinned, " So do you strive for him to be your husband ? "

I burst out laughing, " Well, I wouldn't say strive. But yes, it'd be an honor for me to be his chosen one. "

" Thank you, and that's a very nice dress you're wearing today. "

" Your welcome, and you look wonderful too ! " and we ended our little interview. 

I proceeded to take photographs with some of the fans, I'd rather take close ups than pose like some model. I slowly got used to the flashy lights and cheers, and Xia huddled over. " Girls ! Please follow me ! " .

" You have some time to walk around, before the press conference. " he told us. " And don't wander too far, we need to be on time. "

When he was done, I followed Wendy and Seulgi as they strolled on the street. Bear in mind that I was not from the inside, so I would get lost and that would blow my cover. Cameras were still following us, and Jiyeon and a few of her squad were following up from behind us. 

" Oh, that's my favourite coffee shop ! " Wendy squealed at some point. " I honestly love the croissants they make, and the roseberry tea is just perfect ! " 

As we went in, there was suddenly a crash. We looked around, and saw the owner of the fruit stall grabbing hold of an old man. Due to my instincts, I naturally walked over to see what was going on. And sadly, everyone else from behind followed me. The owner was still glaring at the man. 

" You filthy thief ! " the owner yelled, the old man grimaced.

" Is something the matter ? " I asked as I approached them. 

The owner bowed a little, " This thief ! He stole my fruits ! " he sneered at the man.

I couldn't bear it anymore, " There's no reason for you to harm him ! " and I pulled the old man's wrist, to my side. The old man wore rags, he looked ungroomed with messy hair, uncut fingernails and wrinkled skin. He was obviously covered in filth, and he didn't look like he had bathed for days. I was used to it, but everyone else backed away a little.

" It's not me..." the man mumbled to himself, but I took it as if he was talking to me. I patted him hand, " It's okay. " I told him. 

I faced the owner, " I'm sorry but do you have proof he stole anything ? "

He scratched his head, " I was going to ! If it wasn't for this gentleman here for catching him in time, I wouldn't have known ! " he beckoned towards another man next to him. He wore decently, glasses, his hair neatly combed back. 

" Miss, I'm very sure you've misunderstood. " the man said curtly. " We're clearly handling this situation nicely, no need to worry about it. "

" Meaning you're hurting him because of that ! " I snapped. 

" He wasn't coorperating. "

" But still. he's much older than you ! And you should respect him, even if he'd offended you. And as long as you don't have proof, you have no right to harm him. "

Jiyeon appeared from the crowd, she snorted. " I think you didn't listen clear enough, Irene. It wasn't that they wanted to harm anyone, this man here wasn't coorperating. They had no choice. "

A sense of anger was bubbling inside it, still I breathed calmly and looked at the old man. He was shaking, I calmed him down. " Sir, did you take anything without paying ? You can tell me, it's fine. "

He immediately shook his head as if he depended on it, it was clear he was innocent. " See ? He said he didn't steal anything. "

The owner scoffed, " Hunger can make a person do anything ! That includes lying and commiting crime. "

Hearing him say that, that made me even more offended. I had experienced hunger my whole life, but I never stole anything without permission. I fought to get my own food, and no one accused me of stealing anything. Was really living in the lap of luxury or comfort just waiting on your front doorstep, led to accusing people of crime just based on their appearance ?

If that was the case, civilization was just so messed up right now.

" You shouldn't judge anyone just because they're poor, sir. " I surpressed my annoyance. " I believe in this man, he said he didn't steal anything and that's it. He's telling the truth. "

The owner scowled, " Well, how do you explain the missing fruits ? Did they just magically disappear into thin air ? "

That was a question I couldn't answer, but I was so sure the man I believed in didn't do anything wrong. It was a miracle, but the old man timidly raised his trembling finger. I looked closer, he was pointing towards the man with the glasses. I looked closer, the briefcase he was holding seemed too big...

The man cleared his throat, " Well, I should be going..." 

" Hold on ! " I told him. " Can you let me check your bag first, sir ? "

Miraculously, the man took for a run. But the crowd noticed and grabbed hold of him, he staggered and struggled to break free. Quickly, I walked over and picked up the briefcase. There were indeed a few fruits inside it, I took them out and tossed them into the crates outside the shop. I was trying hard to not get mad, but I couldn't hide my glare.

" Here are your fruits, sir. " I said to the owner, he stood awestruck and frozen. " This just shows you should never judge someone at first glance, someone almost got blamed for something they didn't do. " I fiddled inside my purse and slammed the money onto the counter. " And this is for the food that I'll be paying for the man here, and keep the change. "

I stormed out the stall, but the old man stopped me. " Thank you. " he whispered to me. 

I smiled and left the place. That made me feel good.


THE MIRROR POST : MARCH ISSUE

A GAME OF THRONES

As of the 100th anniversary of the revival of Seoul, the first ever Selection
to take place has got off to a good start, with the top thirty to finally
appearing on live broadcast for the public's eye. And it's safe to say the
candidates this year are very strong indeed, the prince is in good hands ! 
Even before our short interview with the Selected and the prince, we can already 
pinpoint the one's who are quickly appealing to the public's eye. Cameras caught 
footage of the lovely girls as they walked the carpet ; miss Park Jiyeon is
no stranger to the cameras as she posed and spent time with her fans, being 
Governor Park's only daughter and all, she handled the fame quite easily. And fashion
critics praised all the girls for their choice of attire, especially miss Jiyeon. But
there is also a new star emerging to the spotlight ; miss Bae Irene, who was praised
by critics due to her kind nature. A short footage was caught on camera moments before
the press conference, where miss Irene was seen defending an old beggar infront of a fruit
shop. There appeared to be a misunderstanding between the two, but was resolved quickly after 
catching the actual culprit red handed. The beggar indeed appeared to be innocent of crime, but
it would have led to some serious measures if it was otherwise. This only showed more of miss Irene's
image of more than pretty face, but an unlikely Mary Sue. She said some strong words, 'Don't judge
anyone based on first glance', those were her quotes that had led to much attention of the media. She was 
also very kind to answer all our questions, which is why she has been dubbed 'the Nation's Sweetheart'.
There indeed is a strong competiton between everyone, with miss Jiyeon and miss Irene shining in the battle.
Fierce versus gentle, Iron Lady versus Nation's Sweetheart, who will win the crown in the end ?
The competition this year indeed, is a Game Of Thrones.