Warmer Christmas.

CHRISTMAS REQUEST WORKSHOP [CLOSED]

Username: amusingmurdermachine
Male idol: EXO's Kai
Female: Im Hyena (OC)
Plot/Scenario: Kai and his crush, Hyena live in the same apartment building. When he hears from her that she has decided to not go home during the winter break because of some family problems, he impulsively invites her to their home for the Christmas holidays even though they're not that close. Surprisingly, she accepts his offer.
Title: Warmer Winter (lol sorry. you can change this. i'm not good at naming titles)

 

---

 

Jongin groaned as he got out of his car. It was a tiring day, with all the work piled up on his desk earlier. Even though he was working his way through the files the whole day - only going for a toilet break once and not even daring to go out to eat lunch, resulting in Kyungsoo buying back some food for him - he was only halfway through the files.

Jongin kind of expected the workload anyway, since it was nearing the year-end and the figures need to tally before the auditor comes to double-check his work.

After staring at numbers for the whole day, all Jongin wanted to do right now was to collapse on his bed and sleep till the sun sets the next day.

But of course, the week only started yesterday and he wished it would miraculously become a Saturday tomorrow so he could sleep in.

The lift dinged, and Jongin stepped in and pressed his floor.

"Wait!" It took him a while to register that someone was asking for him to wait for her and he frantically pressed the button to open the doors before it fully closed.

"Thanks!" The girl panted and stepped in, catching her breath while Jongin's heart skipped a beat at the familiar figure.

"Oh, hi Jongin!" Hyena flashed him a tired smile as she regulated her breathing. "Thanks for holding the door."

"No probs," He closed the lift door and it started going up. "Just got off work?"

"Yeah," Hyena sighed. "Work has been crazy these few days, with all the year-end reports and stuffs." She pouted. "What about you?"

"Same here. The reports are insane. I think I might be cross-eyed after reading through all those invoices."

Hyena laughed. "I know what you mean. I might end up like you, too."

"And we'll be the cross-eyed couple living on the tenth floor to all our other neighbors?" Jongin joked and mentally wanted to smack himself at his own choice of words.

But Hyena thought nothing of what he said of them being a couple and laughed. "Imagine that; that'll be our new names and everyone in the building would know of us."

The two shared some laughs and the lift finally stopped at their floor.

"Well, lets hope that your parents can still recognize you even if you go back cross-eyed this year." Jongin let Hyena exit the lift first and her laughter died down.

"I guess they won't get to see their cross-eyed daughter till next year, then." She shrugged and managed a small smile.

"Why?" Jongin blinked. "Aren't you going back home for the holidays?"

"I was, but then my dad decided to bring my mom on a second honeymoon since it's been a while since they went overseas, so I won't be going back." She sighed. "Oh well, guess it's going to be a solo Christmas this year." She tried to lighten up the mood. "I'll see you around, Jongin. Enjoy your holidays!"

She turned to the left, where her apartment was.

"Wait!"

Hyena blinked and turned around, staring at Jongin.

It took him five seconds to realize that he was the one who asked her to wait, and he cleared his throat awkwardly.

"Uhm, since you're not going back for the holidays, do you wanna spend it with me?"

He ran the sentence through his mind again when she didn't respond immediately and he flustered.

"I mean, with me… and my family! Yeah, that's, if you don't mind."

Was it just him or was the whole place getting warmer?

“Thanks for the offer, but I don’t think it’d be nice to intrude on your family gathering…” Hyena sheepishly answered. It was nice of Jongin to offer, really, but it’s his family celebration, after all.

“Nah, it’s fine. Really!” He nodded his head for added effect. “My mom loves company and she always thought ‘the more, the merrier’. So having you over wouldn’t be any intrusion on your part.”

Hyena hesitated, and Jongin saw this as a chance. “Cmon, you really want to spend your Christmas alone?”

Hyena finally relented. “Oh alright.” She sighed, knowing she can’t win this argument. “Thank you.” She sent him a warm smile and Jongin could feel the heat rushing to his cheeks.

“So, uh, see you around?” He cleared his throat. “I’ll, uh, pick you up on Christmas Eve around nine?”

“Sounds good,” She agreed. “Goodnight, Jongin. See you tomorrow!” She waved and turned around, heading into her apartment.

Jongin, on the other hand, was still waving his hand with a goofy smile on his face even though Hyena had disappeared into her apartment.

He stuffed his hands into his pockets as he remembered their conversation earlier and turned towards the right.

He didn’t expect to offer her to spend Christmas with his family; the idea just kind of spilled out of his mouth before he could even comprehend what was going on.

It was like his mouth and his brain were running separately, really.

But what’s done is done, and he was so glad that she agreed, because this meant that their relationship just upgraded from acquaintances/neighbors to being friends.

Wasn’t what Jongin was hoping, but at least it was a step closer to what he wanted.

He closed the door behind him and threw his briefcase on the couch, suddenly not feeling the tiredness from before anymore.

“She said yes!” He couldn’t stop the smile from forming on his face.

This was going to be a special Christmas; Jongin just knew it.

 

 

 

After bumping into her on the way home a few days after their conversation that day, Jongin had been fetching her to and from work since their offices were near each other and their relationship was progressing well, much to Jongin’s delight.

They went out for occasional dinners as well, and the closer Jongin got to Hyena, the more he fell. 

He started noticing a few small habits of hers that she probably didn't even know about herself: like how she always pushed her fringe up when she's frustrated, or how she'd always bite her lower lip when concentrating on something.

And all these small things made Jongin like the girl in front of him even more.

The only bad part of all these was that Jongin's body reactions were like a teen in love. He couldn't fight the goofy smiles that appear whenever he thought of her, or that urge to just hold her in his arms whenever she's next to him. 

Well what can I say? It's his first love after all. 

Yes, the mighty Kim Jongin who has a handsome face and a well-built body, is a greenhorn in love.

Oh Jongin...

It was finally Christmas Eve and because Jongin’s hometown was on the other end of South Korea, they had decided to drive through the night so they would reach there by early morning.

Jongin had thought that Hyena would fall asleep somewhere throughout the drive, but she managed to stay awake with him, entertaining him with stories of her childhood and him sharing bits and pieces of his own with her as well.

Thanks to her, Jongin never felt any tiredness even though the drive was a good seven hours.

“Umma, I’m home!” He opened the front door and hollered. A few moments later, a plump lady came down the stairs.

“Aigoo! Jongin-ah!” She crushed him in her arms and Hyena smiled at the scene, reminded of her own parents. “You lost weight, didn’t you?” She frowned and finally took notice of the girl beside her son.

“And who’s this?” Mrs Kim wiggled her eyebrows. “Girlfriend?”

“Umma!” Jongin flustered and glanced at Hyena. “She’s the friend I told you about. Im Hyena, the one who lives next to me back in Seoul.”

“Hello, Mrs Kim,” Hyena bowed. “Thanks for having me over. I’m sorry to intrude on your family celebration like this.” She apologized and Mrs Kim waved it away.

“Nonsense! You’re Jongin’s friend, so you’re welcome here anytime. And besides, the more the merrier!” She grabbed both their hands and led them towards the stairs. “Come on, you guys must be tired from the drive. Settle for a bit first and lunch would be ready soon.”

“Jongin-ah, show her around, would you?” Mrs Kim grinned and sent a wink to him, and he shook his head at his mom, embarrassed.

As the day turned to night, a few more people joined them at the house, namely his close friends and his sisters.

“Oh, hey,” One of Jongin’s friends saw Hyena and came over. “You’re Hyena, right?”

Hyena took a step back, a little creeped out at how this guy whom she met just five seconds ago knew her name.

“I’m not a stalker, I swear!” Sehun waved his hands frantically. “I’m Sehun, Kai’s friend. I’ve heard about you from him, actually.”

“Kai?” Hyena tilted her head.

“I mean Jongin.” He chuckled. “Kai’s a name he gave himself, since he didn’t really like his Korean name when he was in middle school, and it kinda just stuck.”

Hyena nodded in understanding. “He still prefers people calling him Kai though, even now. I think you’re the only one who can call him Jongin and not have him scowl in your direction.” He grinned. “Well, you and his mom, that is.”

Hyena’s eyes widened. *Really? But he only introduced himself as Jongin when we first met.*

“And since he’s not here right now, I’ll let you in on a secret.” Sehun gestured for her to lean closer and she stepped forward, leaning in.

“Actually, Kai really-“

“Getting a little too close now, aren’t we?” Jongin appeared suddenly and slung an arm around Sehun’s shoulder. “So what were you guys talking about?”

“Bad-mouthing you.” Sehun stuck his tongue out. “I’ll catch you later, Hyena noona!” He waved and went to help Mrs Kim with the dishes.

“So were you guys really bad-mouthing me?” Jongin narrowed his eyes at Hyena as he placed his arms around her shoulders naturally, walking with her towards the dining room.

“Maybe?” She blinked innocently. “Oh, look! Food!” Her face brightened and went over to help the parents with setting up the dining table.

Jongin chuckled at her expression. *That’s my girl.*

Dinner was a fun and rowdy session, and after cleaning up, Jongin pulled Hyena away from the crowd stealthily and she gasped when his hands slipped into hers.

He placed a finger against his lips and when everyone was too engrossed in the Christmas Special showing on tv, he pulled her out of the front door.

“Yah, you could’ve told me you wanted to go for a walk. Now I’m coatless and freezing.” Hyena pouted and Jongin smiled sheepishly.

“Well, you’re always welcome to share body warmth with me.” He placed his arms over her shoulder again and pulled her closer, warming her up.

Her cheeks flushed, even though she was freezing and she found herself enjoying the human heater Kim Jongin much more than the warmth from her coat.

The streets were quiet by then, since everyone was celebrating Christmas at home and they sat down at the park bench.

“So did you have fun?” Jongin asked.

“Yeah, I really enjoyed myself today. Thanks for inviting me, Kai.” Hyena smiled at him and he smiled back.

“Did you just call me Kai?” He raised an eyebrow and she tilted her head.

“Yeah, isn’t that your name? I heard it from Sehun.”

“Well, yeah, it is. But I thought you always called me Jongin.”

“He said you prefer people calling you Kai, so I might as well call you that, too.” She shrugged.

“Don’t listen to that brat.” He waved the matter away. “I like Jongin. I like you calling me Jongin.”

Hyena looked up at him and bit back a smile. “Guess I’ll continue with Jongin, then.”

“I also don’t mind you calling me your boyfriend either,” he shrugged. “Just saying.”

Hyena couldn't help but laugh at his attempt at being smooth and her cheeks flushed with happiness.

“Then I guess I don’t mind you calling me your girlfriend either.”

And that Christmas Day was the warmest Christmas the two has ever had.

 

-----

meeeep this turned out to be a little longer than I expected but anw I hope you liked this! ;w;