Chapter 18

Identity

Jimin looked at his grandparents’ tombstone emotionlessly. His attention was only for his mother’s speech who talked already for 10 minutes. The same speech at the same place like four years ago when his mother revealed everything about his father. Anyone else may think that the topic was boring enough to make you sleep even standing. But not to Jimin. He just kind of interested to know.

About his honorable descent.

His ancestors were famous with wealth since the Joseon era. Never get poor and blessed with luck. Their life was arranged to make sure their pride wasn't get dirty. The prosperity was overflowing in each descendants but unfortunately, the years passed and not every thing did well. As his parents divorced, their life was like in the middle of Pacific ocean. A lot of ups and downs. Seems like the luck was slowly disappearing.

Today, his mother added another lines. A good news.

“Well, it's worth of me going to the temple each day. The blessings from god and our ancestors finally come to us. We will never go through hardships after this, Jimin.”

Jimin couldn't react more than just a plain smile. He was clueless but he just happy to see his mother smiling that broad.

“So, Jimin-ah. Till your life end, always make our family as your priority. We’ve been protecting it over years and centuries. Don't ever sacrifice it for something else. Even for the sake of your friendship or love.”

Jimin gulped a little. It was a big responsibility to hold. He just unsure to take it seriously or not.

The thing is, little that Mrs. Park knows, that she was tricked.

***

Jimin's photo was still in Taehyung's hand. Struggled to accept the truth, Taehyung almost crumpled it into a ball. He let out a heavy sigh. 

“Jimin-ah, why you must involve into this?”

Taehyung was depressed. He managed to go through the files, reading every single words and didn't miss a thing.

***

The door was pushed from the outside and Yoona's face came into his view. She came in with bright smile though.

“So, you're ready with answers?” She closed the door and pacing towards Taehyung who sat on the sofa at the discussion lounge.

Taehyung dropped his head since then. Gaining bravery to talk against his sister.

“Hey, are you okay? If you still clueless, I will not scold you, bro.” Yoona sat on the sofa opposite him while smiling cheekily.

Taehyung took a deep breath and lifted his head up. “Noona, you know Jimin is my best friend, right?”

Yoona was shocked. “What are you talking about?” Her heart thumping hard.

“This.” Taehyung threw the exact file on the table slowly. His hand can't even worked properly. “Park Jimin. What's with him?”

Yoona was pissed off. “Oh, sh*t.” She said under her breath. “I should know you would do this, right?” She crossed her arms. “Okay, let's just pretend you don't know a thing. Please. I don't want you to get into this. Stay where you should be, Kim Taehyung.”

Taehyung smirked. “Just like that? Noona, he is my best friend! How can you let me ignore these?” 

“If that Jimin is your best friend, why didn't he tell you about his father? His background? Why?” Yoona held back his anger with those killing question.

He was simply speechless. Yoona won. 

“He must has reason for that.” Taehyung's voice was trembling. He then let out another heavy breathe. “Okay, fine. Do whatever you want. But don't think that I will only sit and see your dirty works.”

“Okay. Deal. I am doing mine and you doing yours. We really need to mind our own business.” Yoona seemed satisfied.

Taehyung clenched his teeth. He couldn't bear to let his sister being an evil. He suddenly burst out his feelings. 

“Noona, did you really need to do this?”

Yoona's lips curled a smile. A tainted one. “Why? You worried?” She smirked. “I just desperate to back home.”

Taehyung sighed. “Of course. It's dangerous. Even I really want you to back but still….. It's really wrong.”

“Park Jongnim once ruined our father like a mad dog. Thinking of the past make me regret a lot. He never change. I am just sick of it.” Yoona who went through a lot expressed her feelings for the first time.

“But to get the revenge on his whole family is too much.” Taehyung bit his lower lips. 

“They got the same blood. And I can’t stand to let them to even smile.” She smirked. 

Taehyung turned speechless. No more words that can stop his sister.

Yoona took a deep breath while her eyes meeting his. “Taehyung-ah, our father gave up a lot because of him. You may hate appa at this moment for some reason but believe me, he knows his children well. He just wants the best for us.” Yoona threw a lovely smile. “No matter what you do in this world, family always matters. You will always need them. Trust me.”

***

Taehyung POV

My steps were getting weaker as I stepped out from the iconic building. I don't know what to think now. Jimin, Noona, Minju, appa. Ouh why everything were so complicated? What did I need to do? Can I just close my eyes and let things happen? By that, can I even be happy? Did I really must be happy at the end? By the way, what's make me happy? Phew, I am only 17 years old. Life, why must you being cruel to me? 

Suddenly my phone beeped. There was a message….from… Minju?

‘Tae-ah, are you free now? Can we meet?’

I didn't know how but my legs stop walking. It seemed like I am nervous. Or maybe felt distracted. 

‘Oh, sure. Sent me the location. I will come to you.’

Unexpectedly, I agreed. Well, I need someone to talk to too. By that, I looked around and asking myself.

“Where am I?” I just too absorbed in my thoughts until I walked without direction. So silly.

***

I arrived at the park and I saw Minju who was sitting on the bench while kicking the useless stone. The dim light from the lampost was enough to make me see her face even from afar. She's beautiful like always. All the nonsense thoughts about her family that influenced by Noona suddenly washed away. I realised that I really like her. My first love and my music angel. But tonight, her eyes were red. She was crying?

“Minju.” I greeted her with a plain smile. It's hard to smile broadly with mind full with problems.

“Oh, hey.” She smiled back but of course the fake one.

I sat beside her. She was wearing a white sweatshirt and a pair of black pants. Her hair was kind of messy, covering some part of her face. Yet, she still looks fine. 

“What's up?” I elbowed her. The atmosphere just too gloom. Maybe because the aura that both of us owned.

She didn't react. But I heard someone's sobbed. Her head was hanging low and I couldn't see her face.

“Hey, are you crying?” I shook her shoulder. The sobbing sound was getting louder. “Min-ah, what's wrong? Come, look at me.”

She finally lift her head. Tears falling down from her hazel eyes, running on her cheeks endlessly. “Sorry for letting you seeing me like this.” Her voice trembling. She was struggling to hold back her tears.  I can't stop myself to not care. It's hurt me seeing her cry. I spontaneously took her into my embrace. her hair softly.

“It's okay. Just cry how much you want. I’ll be here.” 

Minju cried more. She seems to already keep it for years. I heard she mumbled some things but I didn't really care. “Shhh… Don't need to explain now. Just cry, and calm yourself.”

Minutes after, she managed to be calmer. But then, I just found it's hard to let her out from my hug. What's wrong with me? Hugging her somehow soothe my mind.

“Now, tell me, what's wrong?” I loosen my hug and ruffled her hair. 

She chuckled while wiping her remaining tears around her eyes. Gosh, how can she still look good after crying like crazy.

“I fought with my father. For the first time. I just feel bad.”

Again, I didn't know what to respond. Seeing me like that, Minju added.

“Hey, why are you silent? It's lame, huh?” She then took a deep breath. “I know, it's a common thing to fight with parents at our age but well, it's really new to me. I just upset of him. I want him to listen to me just for this time.”

I just threw a tainted smile. “So, how it's feel? Relieved?”

“Kind of. I really shouted at him. In the hospital though.”

 She said in a proud way. And that made me smiled. “You did well as a newbie.” 

She laughed and my heart fluttered. 

“You know what, talking to you make me feel better. Even I still confused why I cried that much.”

Guess what, Kim Taehyung was happy. She smiling back because of me. I hid my excitement and acted cool. “Yah, it's Taehyung. Just let me know if you want to cry again. You can count on me.” 

“Thank you.” She smiled again and seriously can defeat the glimmering full moon above us. Then she continued. “Tae-ah, you like me as Minju more, right?”

“Oh?” I just shocked with the question. I like the whole you Park Minju, everything about you. I really wanted to confess now but yeah I don't think so.

“Yeah, Minju is the real you.” An awkward smile plastered on my face. “Why you suddenly ask?” I just curious.

“Nothing.” She replied shortly. And I think she hid something and I don't want to interfere. My plate already full with stuffs though.

End of Taehyung POV

***
Before they back home, they strolled around and having a good time together. Talking about nonsense and eating snacks. Their stress slowly sank and they into each other more.

***

Taehyung walked home happily. He couldn't stop himself smiling for no reason. Minju made his night in such a beautiful way. Suddenly, from nowhere, Yoona's face appeared into his mind.

“No matter what you do in this world, family always matters. You will always need them. Trust me.”

Also, Yoona's words lingering around his ears. 

“Noona, is that mean I need to stop liking her?” He said in his thoughts then sighed while opening his house gate. 

It's already late and Taehyung only could hope that his parents didn't notice his appearance or maybe having a good mood tonight. To be scolded on the long day like that day could make him freaked out.

He opened the door and put out his shoes slowly and not making any obvious sound. He looked around his living room. No one was there. Suddenly,

“Hey, I thought you already lost and didn't find way home.”

An annoying voice of his sister slipped into his ears. He turned to her.

“Yah, Taerin. Where's appa and omma?” He asked and still looking around.

“They are attending an event since evening. They brought Taekwon along. Well, I don't really sure what kind of event.” Taerin shrugged and hopped onto the sofa, watching the television.

“Phew.” Taehyung sighed a relief. He threw away his bag on the floor and joined his younger sister. 

“Yah, appa's car was not there. Can you even make your own assumptions?” Taerin mocking him while her hand was busy changing the channel using the remote.

Taehyung rolled his eyes. Yeah, he really didn't think about it by the way. “Wow, my genius sister is talking. But I can't really hear…”

“Oppa, where are you from, by the way?” Taerin suddenly asked.

“None of your business.” He didn't want to lie but he couldn't tell her the truth.

Taerin hissed, elbowing her brother’s injured arm. “Yah, your arm can even work properly. Should I tell appa you back home this late?” She threatened.

Taehyung was desperate. He really wanted to tell the truth. “Fine. I……” He secretly sighed. “I just hanging out with friends. Why you should even care.” He quickly grabbed his back and left the living room. He really need to escape from that situation.

***

Taehyung laid on his bed after washed up. Today was really long to him. A lot of things happen. But he could only remember his moment with Minju clearly. Her smile, her laugh and her gesture. Everything was perfect.

“Oppa!”

Taehyung waked from his wonderful dream. It's Taerin, barged into his room without notice.

“Yah, didn't you know how to knock the door?” Taehyung sat and shouted at her.

Taerin directly walked to him, hopped onto the bed, sitting cozily. “Pft. Why you even bother. Are you hiding something?”

Taehyung hissed. “Yes, hiding myself from you.” He threw a pillow to his sister playfully. “What do you want.” Totally in a weak voice. 

Taerin grabbed the flying pillow and dragged it into her hug. “Nothing, I just want to tell you something.” She moved closer to Taehyung and whispered. “About appa.”

“Appa? Why?” Taehyung was too tired to care but it was an interesting topic.

“He is being weird. Seriously.” Taerin said excitedly like she was gossiping with her friends.

“Tsk. Nonsense.” Taehyung pissed her off.

Taerin convinced him. “No! Believe me. Just now, he suddenly fetch me from school.”

“You said that's weird?” 

She hissed. Her brother really annoying. “Be honest. Appa never did that, right?”

Taehyung didn't think much. Their father would only fetch them if…wait.. He never does. Taehyung thought. “Yes..yes.. Go on.” Finally agreed.

“You know right, appa been forcing me to be either doctor or lawyer?” 

“Yes. I stuck with soccer too.” Taehyung slowly got into the conversation.

Taerin continued her explanation. “Just now, in the car, he ask me what I want to be. At first I was speechless too. But then, appa suddenly said that he regret to force me to do what he want as my dream. Then he said, I can be whatever I want and work hard to achieve it. Look, it's weird, right?”

“What's gotten into him?” Taehyung thought it was unbelievable too. 

“I thought maybe he went to parenting talk. Or maybe he met a counselor.” Confidently, Taerin assumed. Yeah, she is a genius.

“Yah… Your imagination please…” Taehyung threw another pillow to her.

“Hey.. It's logic though.” Taerin pouted. 

Then the atmosphere suddenly in silence. Both of them thinking about their father.

“Well, as you really hate me went here… I think I should go now.” Taerin put the pillows on her brother lap and stood up. “Bye. Good night!”

“Yah.. Taerin, wait.” Taehyung suddenly remember something. He grabbed her arm and pull her to sit back. “I want to ask something.”

“Aishh.. What it is?” Taerin was so curious. 

“What you want to be? I mean…your dream.” Taehyung didn't really confident to ask.

It was a short silence before she could answer. “I want to be a doctor.” She said with a brilliant smile.

Taehyung hissed. “Yah.. Isn't that…”

“It's true. That's appa dream. But somehow, I realised that, I really want to be a doctor. It's grow from my heart. Then, I started to think, appa know me earlier than I know myself. It's weird, right?” Taerin laughed awkwardly but her eyes were honest. “Oppa, I think you should stop arguing with appa about soccer. Last time, when I saw you play, it was like you and soccer really meant to be. Appa really know us.”

Taehyung gasped an awe. Taerin's words made him speechless. 

“Okay. That's all for tonight. Bye!” 

Even Taerin already left for hours, her words still lingered in his mind.

“Appa really know us.”

***

Next day

Park family mansion- Minju's room

Minju slowly opened her eyes. The sun kisses which got into her bedroom through the clear glass window and organza curtain stopped Minju from continuing her sleep. She yawned and stretched.

Her house still was in silence. Empty. She took her phone and checking up her message. A new message from Yoona.

‘Your father will discharge today. You don't have to bring along. We directly go for a meeting.’

“Meeting?” Minju sighed. Her father really didn't listen to her. She thought did she even her daughter? But what she gonna do? Change? She didn't have that courage by the way. The danger that her father used to tell her succeeded to make her scare. Maybe it's not the time yet. Someday she really need to show her true self but just not now.

***

Kim family house-dining room

The atmosphere was really quiet on that morning. Each of them just enjoying the breakfast. But Taehyung realised his sister was not happy. It seemed like no one had wish her happy birthday yet. Suddenly, his father broke the silence.

“Taehyung-ah, how about your arm? Getting better?”

Taehyung almost choked. Too shocked maybe.

“Uh, yes. It's getting better but not that fully.” Taehyung plastered a smile on his face.

But then there was Taerin. “Too better until it can choke me to death.” She hissed.

Yeah, just now, Taehyung choked her with his arm. Taerin being noisy early in the morning until disturbing his wonderful dream about Minju. Just who not angry.

“Just a friendly reminder that I choke you with another arm.” Taehyung fought back.

Taerin pouted. Her face showed everything though. She just upset she didn't get enough attention on her special day.

***

“Tae-ah, I already sent the packages to the house. It will arrive maybe in afternoon.”

“Alright.” Taehyung nodded. His sister gave a sudden call after he finished his breakfast. Yoona really not the only talking person.

“Do you guys throw any event for her?” Yoona's excited voices can be heard through the phone.

“I don't know. Maybe not yet. I heard from Taekwon that we will have dinner tonight. Taerin who still don't know is sulking in her room now.” 

“Glad to hear that.”

Taehyung cleared his throat. “So, you want it to be as from unknown?” The question came out from his unsure thoughts.

Yoona chuckled. “Why? I just scared if she refuse to accept after she knows it is from me. Or maybe any complicated might happen. And of course you will be the one who handle it.” She sounded plain but no one know what was in her heart.

Taehyung sighed. “No.. It's just… Taerin really miss you.”

“Hey, why are so suddenly being sentimental?” Yoona let out her laughter.

“Noona, I am serious.” Taehyung just worried.

“Yeah… I know. Don't worry. I have my own plan. I miss Taerin too.”

There was a long silence in the conversation. Taehyung then broke it. “So… Aren't you busy. I heard Park Jongnim is discharging today.”

Yoona wondered how he knew. She never telling him though. “How…” Suddenly, she figured put something. “Oh, you really close to Minju, huh?” 

Taehyung was speechless. “Uh… She…just a friend.”

“Glad to hear that. Just make sure she just a friend or I will be upset.” She said playfully but Taehyung knew it was a threat.

Suddenly, another voice interrupted their conversation.

“Taehyung-ah!!” It was their mother, calling him from the living room.

Taehyung couldn't help himself but totally relieved about that. “Ouh, omma. She calling for me. Bye for now.” He managed to end it.

“Ouh, take care.” Yoona hang up.

Taehyung sighed again. He threw his phone on his bed. “I am sorry noona. I think I will upsetting you.” His mind was in mess.

“Taehyung! Come quick!” His mom’s voice appeared again. Louder version.

“Okay. Okay.” He barged out, leaving the mess out from his mind for awhile.

***

*Taehyung POV

I grabbed my white sweater and phone. Omma asked me to buy some groceries for lunch. I was quite lazy but what can I do? Mom never lose. Receiving the money from omma then I walked out from the house. The convenience shop was only half kilometer from home and as an athlete I already arrived there in no time. Shoved everything in the basket then I payed. 

Suddenly, something came into my mind. Taerin’s birthday present. Yeah, I think I should gave her something. She was somewhat being nice to me recently. Then, I managed to continue my walk to the book store. She loves to read, right?

I pushed the door slowly until it made the bell dangled. I looked around and not more than 10 people in there. I could see a lot of sections that specialized into certain genres. Wow, I never thought that getting into book store could make one confused. It's really lot of genres and I found myself just newly know. Yeah, I rarely to book store. If even I stepped in one, I will directly to the comic section. Without thinking much I walked toward the shelf with an A4 sized board written ‘Best Selling.’ Picking up the most beautiful cover of all, then I purchased. 

While waiting the cashier wrapped the book for me, I got a notification from my phone. Someone sent an article. I tapped to open the file. The header really got my attention.

‘Park Jongnim’s daughter reported to study in Junghwa High School.’

-to be continued