CHAPTER 22

But What Do You Mean You're A Girl
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[CONTENTID1]Chapter 23[/CONTENTID1]

 

[CONTENTID2]"Sweetie, are you sure you're all packed to go to New York?" My mom's voice rings out worriedly. I sigh, and count the number of clothes I had in my suitcase again. A couple of shirts, pants, and a few jackets and scarves to keep warm. New York was crazy cold during winter. All enough for a week in New York, to spend time with my dad again. I couldn't believe it's been a whole semester since I've seen him—it felt much shorter than that. While I'm excited to see him again, a small part in me is still terrified to go back to New York—after all, I have a lot of unwanted memories there. 

 

"Yes, Ma!" I yell back. "I tripled check and everything! I won't go until two days anyways! Plenty of time to add more things!" I hear her sighing from the living room, and her footsteps heading towards my bedroom. She pops her head from the doorway, and stares at me amusedly. 

 

"Plenty of time? Sweetie, not unless you want to say goodbye! Have you even told your friends?" I squirm, avoiding her gaze. No, I haven't told anyone. I couldn't bear to. While it wasn't a permanent goodbye, it's still hard to break the news. "Phoenix," my mom sighs. "They'll understand. We'll only be gone for a week. Just a week. Not forever." 

 

"I know," I mumble, plopping down on my bed. Looking around my surroundings, I realized that I never did decorate my room that much. It had more furniture, sure, and a few posters, but everything was still pretty much the same. "I'll do it later. Let's not worry about that right now, okay Ma? This will be our first Christmas together as a family in a long time! Let's go and wrap up dad's presents!" 

 

"You're lucky your cute. But I'm still not breaking the news for you." 

 

"Ma! Please!" 

 

 

 

 

"So, umm..." I trail off nervously on the phone. I was in a group chat, with Baekhyun, Kyungsoo, Miyeon, and Henry. The rest were either busy, or unavailable. "There's something I have to tell you guys." Henry and Kyungsoo hums in acknowledgement, while Baekhyun and Miyeon bluntly asks a, 'what?' 

 

Fidgeting, I stammer, "S-so, I'm thinking about visiting my dad in New York again." 

 

"Oh!" Miyeon's voice brightens up. "I've missed him so much! When are you gonna do it? Over the summer?" 

 

"Um, actually--" I shut my eyes. While they couldn't see me over the phone, they could still sense my nervousness, right? 

 

"When you do go, can I come with?" Henry teases. "It'll be a nice change, to fully understand the people there. Well, mostly fully understand. I still don't fully get Americans." 

 

"Guys, Phoenix is trying to tell us something," Baekhyun scolds. "Shut the hell up and listen."  

 

"Not the exact words I was going to use, but okay," Kyungsoo snorts. "What is it, Phoenix?" Okay, this is it. Take a deep breath, Phoenix. It's now or never. 

 

"I'mgoingtoNewYorktomorrowandIwon'tbeabletospendtimewithyouguysand I'm sorry!" I rush. I wait for their reaction, but there was none. 

 

"...what?" Henry asks. "My Korean is bad, but I didn't know it was this bad." 

 

"Bro, I'm a full blooded Korean and I don't know what she just said," Baekhyun whistles. I blush, and start to regret my decision. "Say that again, but in a more understandable way, please?" 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter