CHAPTER 2

But What Do You Mean You're A Girl
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[CONTENTID1]Chapter 2[/CONTENTID1]

 

[CONTENTID2]A week had passed. Living in Korea had been a major culture shock for me, but I slowly got used to it. Now, standing in the bus stop, I was getting nervous. I was usually a mellow, down-to-earth person, but right now, negative thoughts filled my head. Thoughts like, 'What if I don't fit in?' and 'What if my Korean is rusty and they couldn't understand me?' But mostly thoughts like, 'Why are all the girls looking at me?' I shyly looked around, and surely enough, they were still looking at me. A few of them even winked at me. I blushed. Was it because I was wearing a male uniform? Because in my defense, none of the girl uniforms were my size.  

 

The bus didn't come fast enough. I was relieved to be rid of the stares. Hurrying up the bus, I was at ease until I realized many of the girls who were staring at me earlier took the same bus. And that they were shamelessly staring at me again. 'God help me,' I thought, embarrassed.  

 

Mid-way through the ride, a girl walked towards me. Her face was red and she was having a hard time keeping in her giggles. I wonder why. "Umm... excuse me but," she said timidly to me. "Do you... by any chance... go to SM High?" I nodded unsurely. She bursts into giggles once again. "Oh," she says, in between giggles, "Thanks." She walks away and goes to a group of girls, who were giggling with her. 'Wonder what that's about,' I thought, confused. 

 

After a while, the bus stops. I take it as my cue to get off. Looking up, I stopped, stunned. SM High was two times the size of my old school, and five times better looking. I go inside the gate, unsure of where to go next. I know I have to go to the office, but where was it? Going up to a nearby student, I asked her where the office was. For some reason though, she got red in the face. "Um, are you okay?" I asked, concerned.  

 

"Y-yeah!" She stammers. "The office is left of the entrance door. It's pretty big, you won't miss it." Brightening up, I thanked her and left. 'All the girls I've met so far are so weird,' I thought, as I entered the building. Turning left, I spotted the office. My spirits lift. Slowly opening the door, I walked in.  

 

"Hello hun," a lady says to me from behind a desk. I strolled closer to her. "What can I do for you?" Her smile was kind and welcoming. I liked her immediately.  

 

"Oh! Well, I'm new here- Phoenix Hwang- and I don't have my schedule yet. Also, do you supply maps?" I asked curiously.  

 

"Unfortunately, we do not supply maps, but we can give you your schedule. Here, let me look... Phoenix Hwang, was it? I take it you weren't born here?" I shook my head. "Okay! Here you go. If you don't know where your classroom is, just ask someone." Thanking her and bidding her goodbye, I left the office.  

 

"Now, where's room 2A?" I mumbled. Tapping a girl's shoulder, I was about to ask for directions when-- "Miyeon? Is that you?" I exclaimed. The girl looked momentarily confused, but realization flashed across her face.  

 

"Phoenix?" Miyeon exclaims. I nodded eagerly. 

 

"Mi! It's been so long!" I said excitedly. She threw her arms around me. 

 

"I almost didn't recognize you at first, cuz!" She squeals. Miyeon Hwang is my older cousin. It's been years since I've seen her. I didn't even know she went to this school, actually. "Of course, this style suits you. I guess you haven't grown out of your tomboy phase, huh?" She teases.  

 

"It's not a phase, Mi!" I groaned. She only laughs. Suddenly, the bell rings.  

 

"Five minute bell, Cuz," She says reluctantly. "I'll see you at lunch. Then we can catch up." She waves goodbye and walks to where I presume is the direction of her class.  

 

"Bye- Wait! I still don't know where 2A is!" Realization dawned on me. "Ah, crap." I facepalmed. I looked around. There's nobody to help me. I sigh. Guess I'll just be late for class, then. And on the first day, too. 

 

 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter