Crueler than Hatred

The Everyday ghost stories

Love, is the most sacred thing between two people. The cause of happiness in this earth, and the cause of madness if one get too drowned by it. How one simple thing can have a different effect to the beholder of it. Though Yoona never know how Love really is , but as she put her attention to the ghost in front of her,it doesn't take a genius or an expert to know that this ghost is in love.

 

"His name is Leo..". Leyla smiled as she began her story, remembering the name of his lover." He was an artist, So fair, good looking, nice , unique...just like one of Michael Angelo's painting. We met at an art exhibition that his university held. I'm not a kind of person who really fond of art,actually i found art quite meaningless because i never understand what hid behind it. But then my friend told me to come to the exhibition, who knew that it will change my vision. At first i refuse it, but in the end i bought the ticket. 

 

"Like i predicted, i didn't enjoy the event. With all this super absurd pieces of statue and paints, i always found my self frowning and yawning. I was walking in the paint gallery that time when i suddenly caught a paint that really attract my attention. It was a paint of a girl in flower crown having her eyes closed. For a person who knew nothing about the art, It was so beautiful yet so mysterious in the same time.

 

" When i admired how good the paint was, someone coughed behind me a manly deep voice. I was stunned when i saw a tall man with curly dark haired standing behind me. He was so gorgeous, if i can describe him. He was a true description of art.

 

"He introduced himself to me , said he was Leo and the artist of the paint i gawked at. I complimented his work, he really pleased with that because he never found someone can quite impressed with his work. Then i told him, i never really know about art. He seems surprised, but then he gave me a cute smile and said he willing to guide and teach me about art. I never think twice to accept his offer, because one i found art quite interesting now and two of course because of him.

 

" He told me all about art, he said that art is not something you could easily understand because art it's about something you can feel. No formula no equation. Art is how about you see something as it is then dig the meaning behind it, it can be good it can be bad. Just how one have perspective of it.

 

"He was so passionate about it, i can see the gleam in his beautiful eyes. That he really love , what he's doing. Then he offered to teach me for painting. Again, i accept his offer. It seems that whatever he told me or asked me to do. I will always say yes. We met quite often, he always take me to his studio and teach me to paint in there. Then one day he asked me for a date, i never know if it's a date though since he just said about a 'Casual Dinner'. It was the most happiest night of my life, people can see that we're attract to each other. then came the time where he asked me to be his girlfriend, again i said yes. Then we shared our first kiss. I'm beyond happy.

 

"We began to date and met really often. He still taught me about art and paint, even sometime he asked me to be his object of painting. He said i'm beautiful, the best description of art. I smiled , how coincidence because that's also the thing i thought when i first met him. I then realized something, i'm so in love with him.

 

" After couple of months we dating, there's always something bothering me. Though how many times i said love to him, he never said it back. He said he was never in love before so he just want to make sure if it's real between us. He promised one day he will say it back to me. So i'll wait for his promise and keep loving him the best as i could. So he can realize how true my feeling for him and he can love me back. He promised to love me back.

 

"Then one day, i realized there's something wrong with me.".Yoona noticed the love in the ghost's eyes changed to sadness and misery." I always felt sick with blood always coming from my nose , i felt weak, my weight were decreased, my bone always feel hurt and there's tiny red spots on my skin. I thought maybe this is because allergies , so i made an appointment with my doctor. I thought this is just a usual ill, since i have it quite often in childhood. Then the doctor took my result from the lab, i was positive leukemia and my life will be end soon. I was shocked , devastating and sad. How could..how could someone who thought they're healthy and fine, with just a result from a doctor, their lives wouldn't feel the same anymore. Especially when you had it just for a couple of months again.

 

"I was so depressed, knowing that i'm going to die, i'm dying. I wouldn't see my parents anymore, my family, my friends and most of all Leo, i can't accept the fact that i wouldn't meet him again, love him , kiss him or hug him. But i never told it to him, about my disease, i don't want to be a burden or see him sad because of me. So i hid it, hid it carefully. Though, sometimes the nosebleed always came when Leo around, and he asked why ? What happened with me ? And asked to take me to the doctor. He was so worried , but i just kiss him and smile at him , that i'm alright , this is just an ordinary ill. He seems hesitated to believe me , but in the end he nodded and hug me wish me to get well soon. I smiled, but with tears rolling down my cheeks when i hug him. There's just left couple of months , before it become weeks, days , hours, minutes , and seconds for me to be always beside him and to wait for his promise to say that magic words.

 

"But the symptoms came more often day by day, i'm really dying. I can feel it, the end has coming to take me. I passed out then one day i found my self lying limply on a hospital bed . In my blurred vision, i see him, my love crying while holding my hands. I can't quite hear what he's saying that time, all my senses have been disabled. But one thing clear enough, that Leo still by my side when my time has come. Then it's all turn to dark, i had it..."

 

Yoona shed the tears on her cheeks, she can feel the girl sadness. Leaving forcefully from someone you really love. It's kinda remind her about her mother. How one human life can be so fragile when it's take away by death. "I'm so sorry..". That's all she can only said. Remembering all of that must be so hurt for the ghost." So..What do you want me to do ? To help you ?".Yoona has come to a decision to help the ghost. It's no harm to try, and also maybe with her help . This ghost will rest peacefully in the other side.

 

 

"Thank you..". Leyla said quietly." I don't know who else can help me with this except you Yoona...".She stared at Yoona with soft eyes."Please help me, to make Leo fulfill his promise to me. To say Love to me. I just really want to know what's his true feeling for me..".She pleaded.

 

Yoona nodded."Yeah, Don't worry. I'll help you.".She understand how the ghost feel. Staying with curiosity and big question in her mind, nothing can stop it except seek for the answer. Just now, Yoona also understand why people really mad about love. It gives you strength, it gives you happiness but sometimes it also can kill you in a very different way.

 

Yoona then remember about her date with Yuri. She looked up at the clock on the wall, it's past one hour from the due time. Maybe this is the sign, that Yoona never worth for Yuri's time , never worth for a girl who can always interact with abnormal things. She have to gave up on Yuri.

 

~~~~~

 

"Ahhh...". Yuri sighed for the nth time that night as she sit by herself in the cafe, waiting for the girl to come. She really nervous about how this date will turn out. Nervous about what kind of conversation she will have with Yoona later, hope she doesn't make the girl feel bored. And of course about the confession she will tell to Yoona. About her feeling this whole time.

 

She looked at her watch , 30 minutes passed and the girl still didn't show up. Yuri start to feel afraid, How if Yoona didn't come ?. The tanned girl immediately shook the negative thoughts out. She trust Yoona, she wouldn't dump her without reason. Like her friends said , she's not a kind of person who break promise without reason.

 

30 minutes again , it's been maybe for the third time already the waitress come to her table, asking if she's ready to order." No..i'm still waiting for someone.".She smiled apologetically to the waitress then bit her lower lip. One hour passed , Yoona still didn't come. Yuri look up at the window, the sky look dark about time the rain will pouring down.

 

Another 30 minutes passed, Yuri start to worry. How if something bad happened to Yoona. She can't keep staying in here like this. "Damn it ". After putting the bill on the table, she immediately run from the cafe. Though, the rain heavily pouring down now. She didn't mind it, as long as she can check if Yoona was alright or not.

 

 

Yuri found her self shivering while knocking on Yoona's door house. She doesn't care if she's sick because the rain , all she can think about is just Yoona. " Yuri ?!".The door finally opened revealing a surprise face from Yoona.

 

"Yoona ..". Yuri smiled then immediately reach for the girl to her embrace. Now her fear has faded knowing Yoona was ok in her home. She didn't mad about the fail date , all she can think about is just the safety of the doe-eyed girl." I'm so worried about you. I thought something bad might happened to you when you didn't show up..".Yuri's smile widen when she can also feel Yoona hug her back. But then it's all gone when Yoona pull away from her embrace harshly.

 

"What are you doing in here Yuri ?!".Yoona asked with cold tone. Something that Yuri never imagined from Yoona to react.

 

" I-I just want to check on you. I'm afraid something bad might happened to you. So i just came here..i'm sorry if i'm too straight forward and,-"

 

"You better go". Yoona about to close the door but Yuri held it immediately.

 

" Wha-What happened Yoona ? There's something wrong ? What's my fault ? If there's any ..i'm sorry ! Was it because i'm too persistent because the date ?! Yoona , i'm sorry ...i didn't mean to force you,-"

 

"No Yuri, ". Yoona gulped." It's not because of you.."

"Then Why ?". Yuri asked.

" It's because of me. It's my fault for not doing this to you from the start. Pushing you from my life, ".Yoona stared straightly into Yuri's eyes in firm." You never worth my time !".And with that Yoona shut the door harshly, with the last vision of the disappointed, stunned and sad Yuri.

 

Tears finally come out from Yuri's eyes, her heart was so heavy and hurt so bad after hearing what Yoona has said. It's all lie, Yuri thought. There must be something happened to Yoona. But what ? Or is it true ? That all this time , Yuri never worth for Yoona's time. Maybe all the feeling Yuri have is one sided. "I love you Yoona..". It seems so hard to say it, but it's genuine. She just realized it, that she's falling in love with Yoona. Even if the other girl didn't feel the same. Now she has her love and broken heart in the same time. With one last glance Yuri put her eyes at the door, hoping that Yoona still there, behind it then open it to hug her. But it's just her imagination, Yuri turned around then walk away through the heavy rain.

 

If only Yuri knew that she's right. Yoona indeed still there behind the door , sitting on the floor hugging her knees while crying." I'm sorry Yuri..".She said weakly."It's for your own good.".She remembered about Victoria's threat."I'm the one who never worth your time..".She paused."More over ....your love."

 

~~

 

" !". Tiffany cursed under her breath seeing the rain wouldn't stop anytime soon. Moreover , standing alone in this bus shelter can't stop her from thinking a scary things might happen to her. Especially, remembering about the last ghost experience she had. Still traumatic indeed.

 

If only, her mother didn't suspend her for not taking the car. She'll definitely sleeping peacefully in her home , sipping hot chocolate. Instead of staying in this frightening bus shelter carrying shopping bags. Why in the world then she really want to go shopping this night, knowing that the weather quite unpredictable because the climate change nowadays.

 

" Ackkk !".Tiffany screamed in frightened when she felt someone tapped her shoulder. She turned around only to saw a familiar girl with mischievous smirk."You ?!".It was Jessica, her cat. No, not her cat..she's now in human form .

 

"Hi to you too..". Jessica still have that smirk."What are you doing in here ?"

Tiffany threw her face away from the girl."Not your business !".But deep inside she's glad that she can have someone with her, especially someone she knew..and maybe she missed.

 

"It seems wouldn't stop anytime soon..". Jessica said quietly looking at the rain but the other girl still can hear her.

" Are you talking about the rain or your stupidity ?".Tiffany said sarcastically earning a glare from the cat woman.

 

"Oh , so you still mad about what happened between us ?"

"You ing tricked me ! And let me emphasize, there is no US between you and me !"

 

Jessica chuckled."Oh really , as i remember missy. You're the one who insisted to taking me to your house !"

"But that's before i know that you're not a real cat !"

 

"Ohoho..Like i can suddenly speak to you without you're freaking out . Because cat cannot talk like human !"

 

"So you're saying i'm stupid ?!"

"No, you just out of your mind !"

"Arghh..I hate you !"

"I hate you too !"

 

The two girl threw their face from each other. Their little bicker cause the anger in them . Jessica sighed, she really hope this rain will end soon. She doesn't want to deal any longer with this crazy girl. She bent down her body, feeling so tired by keep standing too long in the shelter. She just really want to go to Yoona's house immediately then fell asleep.

 

Suddenly Tiffany also do the same , it didn't fail for Jessica to notice."Now, You're following me..".She smirked .

"I'm not following you !". The eye-smile girl snapped." This is a normal thing to do ! For normal human ! To get tired by standing then sit !"

 

"Geezzz..i just said four words, then you reply me with an essay..". The cat girl said sarcastically pulling out a pack of cigar then lit the content.

 

" Eww..Don't smoke beside me !".Tiffany cringed waving the fog that got to her face while pushing the girl beside her. Jessica didn't care, just shrugging her shoulder then keep smoking."You will die soon !".Tiffany warned.

 

"I know..". Jessica simply answered.

" By Lung Cancer !"

"I know "

 

"Don't you care about your own self ?!"

"I don't..". Jessica paused while Tiffany got silent." Die Sooner or later , it's all the same. I will eventually die though, whether it's by cancer, accident.. . I don't want to think about that, i live for today only. Just doing what i like and want.."

 

Tiffany still in silent, but her expression softened. There something in Jessica that make Tiffany wonder. It's in her eyes that show nothing but emptiness.

 

*SPLASH *

 

"Dammit !!". Jessica cursed loudly. After a car passed the shelter in fast. Her clothes and body are so wet because the water. " I'll curse you later !".She gave a middle finger to the driver who already drove away.

 

"Ahaha ! That's why ,Don't smoke beside me..". Tiffany laughed mockingly.

 

" Argh.. I hate water !".Of course, she doesn't like it. Since most of her DNA still made by cat's. She started to stomp her feet then wriggling her body trying to dry all the water on it. But it's useless. She started to shiver. "..*gritt..gritt*.. I really hate water.". She hug her own body at the corner of the shelter.

 

Tiffany watched the girl in silent, she chuckled . She just look like a cat, curving her body like a ball at the corner. She pull off her coat then put it to Jessica's body which make the latter look up at her.

 

" Ehh..".Tiffany cleared ."You might catch a cold.."

There's a little tug of smile on Jessica's lips. Then she said something she never expect will say to Tiffany. "Thank you.."

Tiffany nodded."Yeah..".They stay in comfortable silent for minutes " May i ask something ?"

"Shoot."

 

Tiffany fidgeted."How you become a cat ?"

"Didn't Yoona tell you ?"

"She did..it just , i want to hear it from you directly. How's you feeling of knowing that you're not a normal person ?"

 

Jessica silent for awhile. "Of course it's awful.". She bit her lower lip. " But it's all my fault. I have to take the risk of my own curiosity.".She chuckled."And they saying, curiosity kill the cat. And in this case, i REALLY become a cat..".She gave Tiffany a smile , not an amuse smile but ironic smile.

 

Tiffany replied the smile."How's about your family then ? Do they know about your condition ?"

 

Jessica's eyes felt sting when she heard about 'family' word. "No..". Now Tiffany felt guilty for asking it, it's must be the sensitive topic for Jessica. " I don't want to cause anymore stress to my family because of my foolishness. They just know i ran away from home..".How long ? How long did Jessica have been away from home ? She didn't remember . There's only left a longing feeling to see her family in her heart. Especially her sister, she really miss her.

 

"I'm so sorry..".This is her fault for asking Jessica about that topic. Suddenly she reach her hands out then taking Jessica to her embrace. The cat girl widen her eyes in surprised, actually Tiffany also surprised by her own reaction. But maybe, this is the only thing she can do to make Jessica feel better again. She never good with words,but with action she'll do her best. Jessica found her self smiling, it's been so long since someone give her a warm and genuine hug.

 

~~~

 

For the first time in a month, Yoona found herself quite lazy for school. Her eyes were puffy,maybe because the cry she had last night. She sighed in exhausted at the school gate, while holding her mother's necklace. A habit she quite often used now, especially when she felt insecure. It gave her a small feeling, that her mother always there near her. Everytime she doubted her ownself.

 

Yoona gulped, taking her feet to walk further to the school. If it's not because there's a test today, she would pretend to sick and stay in bed. But being a senior is , it's just couple of months again she ended her highschool time. Not because the test that make her so heavy to take the step towards school. But also because , Yuri.

 

The doe-eyed girl afraid , if she can't hold her self if she saw Yuri . Can't hold her self to suddenly hug her or tell the tanned girl about her miseries. Yuri just like , a live form of diary for her. Where she can pour all her stories to her , even her everyday ghost stories, without boundaries and hesitation. But now , Yoona screwed that live diary, Yoona ruined her . She doubted that the live diary will be willing to listen of her stories anymore. After all, What she done to Yuri is unforgivable. Yoona thought, that she even didn't worth another little glance for Yuri now.

 

Yoona stopped abruptly , there she saw her with the other friends walking on the hallway. Did Yuri already told the others about them ? . It didn't matter if she did tell them or not though. After all, the others must be will stuck at Yuri's side . They are her friends, while Yoona just a complete stranger who lucky enough to ever hang out with them.

 

"Hey Yuri...How about the date ?". Taeyeon asked excitedly with a big smile on her face. Soon her smile gone , when she noticed the gloom on Yuri's expression." Was it ? Was it Bad ?".Yuri just sighed then continue to walk, didn't want to answer her friends anytime soon. "What happened with her ? Did i asked something wrong ?". Taeyeon turned to her friends and girlfriend, only to receive a shrug as the response.

 

Yuri walked aimlessly on the hallway, with her puffy eyes on the floor. She's so tired , for crying the whole night and didn't get any sleep because of it. Yoona, she just can't believe the girl pushed her again from her life. Why ?. Is the biggest question in Yuri's mind. How many times Yuri have to pull Yoona again to her life ?. But the doe-eyed girl, always have the way to push her  ,even further. Now , Yuri felt hopeless especially remembering Yoona's words last night. That she never worth for Yoona's time.

 

Yuri stopped from her track catching the sight of the reason of her sleepless night." Yoona ?".Her eyes lit up a bit and smile, but it's all gone. When Yoona only walked pass her without even try to look at Yuri. Her chest tightened, the sting at the back of her eyes come again. Yoona , you made Yuri's heart broken.

 

Yoona fastened the speed of her walk, she clearly ignoring everybody who called her especially Yuri. She held the tears which going to come out from her eyes. This is the best for everyone, this is the best for Yoona to push all the people aside from her life. After all, Yoona can only cause nothing but danger. Even if she have to sacrifice her own happiness. 

 

Yoona stopped again in her track , got block by someone. She looked up only to find the girl she really don't want to see. "What ?!". She scoffed at Victoria." You saw it right ?! I stay away from Yuri now . I even ..cancel our date .".Her eyes full of hatred towards the girl."You're satisfied now ?"

 

Victoria smirked. "You do it right  , Yoona. This is what you have to do before you pull everybody too deep into your...problem". She tapped Yoona's shoulder." I'm so proud of you.".She then walk away leaving the girl behind approaching Yuri.

 

Yoona turned around, she doesn't like it. She doesn't like the way Victoria have her hands all over Yuri. But What can she do ?. It's all over.

 

"Mom..". She murmured looking at Victoria." There's something crueler than hatred.".Her eyes goes to Yuri."And it's love.."

 
 
 
 
To be continued