The game of Death

The Everyday ghost stories

Warning : This chapter deal with Self harm, Suicide and Cat Jokes. So read at your own risk !

 Song for this chapter : https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UCCyoocDxBA# Helena - MCMR

~~~

 

Life..What is that ? What is the meaning of life ?. The philosophical question never have a solid answer indeed. Why human live in this world ? .Why , for some people who believe with god's existence, he gave human soul just to put them in this world to live.

 

Over the time , theologian believe it was started with Adam and Eve. They reproduced one by one , until the born of a baby today. Scientist ,like Darwinian stated . We are a product of evolution from the apes. Many theories, Many beliefs ,but still nothing can answer the question of Why we are here . Why we do what we do. Why we live years long just to meet with death.

 

"One cut , two cuts..". At this tight little cubicle of the school, Harrison or just Harry. The boy that many of his peers ignored , slicing his arm with a sharp blade he took from home. " There's no meaning in life..".He murmured enjoying the pain and the blood that coming from his skin."Pain is good..". That was the mantra he always bare in mind wherever he does his cutting ritual.

 

Like many other boys or teenagers in his age, Harry was still adjusting with the real life. Only ,he felt that maybe his life , different from others . He live in miseries..Broken family, and the people in school who always bully him. He's jealous , to other people that seemed to have a happy life instead of him.

 

His life contented with pain, he thought that maybe making another pain will get rid the old pain in his life. Although it's temporary. "Harry ? Are you there ?". Someone knocked on the cubicle door suddenly. Harry recognized the voice , it was Tony his only and nerdy friend.

 

" Yeah..Wa-wait a minute.".Harry hide the blade to his pocket then roll down his sleeve to cover the cuts and blood. He opened the door to meet his friend's suspicious face. "What ?"

 

"You did it again right ?". 

" What do you mean ? Hey !".Harry flinched when Tony taking his arm rolling up his sleeve to show the cuts. When his eyes laid , he still think that pain is good.

"You're cutting..". Tony sighed , he lost his count of how many times he caught Harry hurting himself. " Seriously Harry , You have to stop this. You'll hurt your self. Love your life !"
 
Harry pull his arm harshly ."You don't know what i've been through ! . Just shut up and leave me alone !"
"Do you think this is the escape from your problems ?"
"Yes..". Harry stare sternly at him." Because pain is good..".He walked away leaving his friend alone.
 
No words left their mouth when they walk home together from school like usual. The tension between them about what happened between them at school was the cause. Harry kicked a pebble on the road to ease his anger of what Tony has said to him , though it's no use at all maybe by apologizing Harry would forget his friend's fault to him. "Hey dude..I'm really sorry..". Finally Tony said what Harry has expected." I said it , because i care for you. You're the only friend i have..".The two of them stopped from walking staring at each other in silent for a brief of time.
 
Smile formed slowly on Harry's lips. Tony was also his only friend and he doesn't lose him by an argue of this matter."I know..I forgive you dude ".He wrapped his arm on Tony's shoulder, then playfully rubbed his head.
 
" Hey That's hurt  !".They started to giggle together like usual , running together kick anything on the road like a normal school boys has done. 
 
"Come ! Come !". A crowd of people took their attention. Curious , they started to approach them. The two boys caught the sight of a man in black suit with a coffin opened behind him. " This is the game of death !".The man said it casually like it's a normal thing to play death. "The rule is easy..You just lay on that coffin , I'll close it for a couple of minute then just be relax and feel the death."
 
"What kind of weird game is it ?". A man suddenly said with a sceptic expression on him.
 
" Maybe you think this is a weird game..".The man in the suit said."See it as a role-playing game. Many people are feels stress,hurt and depressed with their lives. By laying on the coffin, you'll feel relax , you'll feel how the death. And after it's done..Maybe..You could appreciate life more than you already had.". The crowd turn to quiet with different kind of thoughts in their mind."Anyone want to try ? Just five minutes laying on the coffin..".He eyed the crowd slowly."No one ?"
 
"Me !". Harry's arm raised , everyone turned at him including his friend. He really hate attention ,but today he feels it's good to have one.
" Harry ? Are you serious ?".Tony whispered feeling worry all of sudden. He's a coward and easy to scare, he thinks that death is not something you have to play with.
 
"I just have to lay there right ? Nothing can harm ..". Harry said stepping forward out from the crowd welcomed by the man.
 
" Oh we have a brave boy here..What's your name son ?"
"Harry.."
"Okay Harry , You just have to lay here..". He pointed to the coffin." Clear your mind , snapped all the thoughts that coming your way and be relax..".Harry nodded , he took off his bag first then give it to the man. He climbed the coffin , fixing his blazer and lay on it comfortly. "Are you ready ?". The man asked staring at him proudly.
 
Harry nodded." Yes..".But Tony wasn't ready to say his friend being put on that thing.
 
"I'll close it now..". He starts to hold the lid." Enjoy the experience of death..".Finally the coffin closed , taking Harry away from his experience of living.
 
It was dark,cold and quiet."So this is how death feels..".Harry murmured inside the coffin. He couldn't see things , or heard anything from outside . Just the sounds of his breath and heart, "Death is easy..apparently.". He thought feeling so relax and come with his experience of death.
 
Is it five minutes already ? . He lose his counts of time, Death too apparently has no time. But why it feels so long he've been lying here. Crack . Harry shot his eyes open when he heard a cracking sounds from outside. " Hey is it finish ?".He asked but no one answer.
 
Crack.Crack.Crack.
 
Harry look alerted when he heard the noise like something being nailed with a hammer. Then he realize , this coffin are being nailed !. "Hey ! Hey open it !". He knocked the coffin interior trying to remind the man that he still here. " You said you just closing it !".Another nail being hammered. He pushed the lid strongly but it's useless. The wooden thing has been shut tightly.
 
"Help me !!". He even more scare when he felt the coffin being lifted from the ground. " I'm not dead open it !!Damn it ! ".Then he heard the sounds of people singing like in a funeral.
 
Lead, kindly Light, amid th'encircling gloom;
Lead thou me on!
The night is dark, and I am far from home;
Lead thou me on!
 
"Hey Help me ! Somebody help me ! I'm not dead !".He began to cry as the soils crashing the wooden coffin. He was buried alive. 
 
"I'm not dead..Arghh...hah !". He gasped then cough as the air getting thinner. " I'm not ....dead.".He said in limp then darkness taking his consciousness.
 
Drip..drip. 
 
It sounded like , water dripped onto the sink, Harry thought before he shot his eyes opened wide only to see a dull white ceiling. He sat up , he is not inside the coffin anymore. But where is he now ? . The place were quite wide and big with Victorian touches everywhere.
 
Harry looked at himself ,his outfit changed . He's wearing a black suit with bow tie and a white rose on his pocket. He also just realized , he've been laying on an iron bed like they have for grooming death people.
 
Harry look up when he felt someone's existence arises."Wh-Who are you ?".He retreated slightly in fear seeing a man in neat black suit identical to him,only he wore a usual grey tie and also a reading glass covering his eyes. His legs were crossed while sitting on a chair quite far from Harry but right in front of his bed. "Where am i now ? Tell me ! "
 
The man eyed him, he didn't move or speak just quietly putting his attention at him. Finally after awhile the strange man open his mouth."Harrison..". The owner of the full name got surprised .
 
"H-How did you know my name ? Tell me where am i ! Who are you ?". Harry still insisted with his questions yet he doesn't dare to move from the bed to approach the man. There just something odd with him.
 
" The possible answer of your question is...You're dead !"
"No..No. It's impossible !". Harry then remember about the hearse. He was buried alive but he still believe that he still alive. " I'm not dead ! You're lying ! ".An expression of realization came to his face.." Right ! It must be a joke ! You're that coffin owner friend ! You're plotting me into this ! Whe-Where's Tony ? He must be searching for me right now !"
 
"It's no use to still think about the people who still alive. It will burden you Harrison. You have to let go of everything , so you can depart easily without the reminiscence of your past life time. Trust me ..You're dead !"
 
"No ! I'm still alive ! Who the are you to say that to me ! Are you a god or something ?! Prove it to me that i'm really dead ! You're quiet now, i know you can't prove it . You're bluffing ! I'm still alive !"
 
Harry's eyes flickered when the man suddenly stood from his sit. He thought the man going to approach him , but it turn out the man approached the fireplace beside him , that Harry just know it there. He put some coals to make the fire lit even bigger. "Tell me Harrison..". The man eyed him slowly stepping forward to his side." Why you insisted to think you're still alive when you're dead. What has life gave and offered to you ?"
 
Harry turned quiet , rather hesitated because he doesn't has any answer in his mind."We-well..There so much of course ! I..life has gave me.".What ? Harry asked his mind. Throughout his seventeen years of life nothing that has life gave him and offered except misery and sadness.
 
"Now you're the one who goes quiet, You cannot answer it , didn't you ? Let's turn it into a simple question. ". The man's eyes leave Harry for a sec before goes to him again." Are you happy with your life ?"
 
It was indeed a simple question , but the answer might be complicated and difficult for Harry. "No..I'm not happy with my life.". Finally the words came out from his mouth.
 
Like expecting it to happen , the man smile in satisfied." If you live an unhappy life . Then why you still insisting that you're alive ?. It will just hurt you..life.".He turned his gaze to Harry's sleeve."Like what you did to your arm .."
 
Harry eyed his sleeve that covered the scar of his cuts." it just , if i am really dead. I want to have a second chance to live. I'm sure , i would appreciate life more ! I wouldn't do some stupid things to my self again !  Please get me out of here !". Harry pleaded to the man , though it's a shame for him to cry. It's be cause , he just really afraid that the man might be true. That's he's dead. He's afraid with death.
 
" Really ? Then come with me..".The man led Harry to a double big oak door behind the chair."You said you want to live again right ? I'll give you the chance.".He opened the door widely."Now you're free. You may have the second chance of living.".
 
Harry's eyes were blurred when a really bright light coming from the outside of the door. Before he step forward , he eyed the man first then continue. Thump. His heart beating harshly then slowly the vision of his former life flashed. His evil peers , his unloving father , a mother who never hug him and the other things that make he felt suffer in life.
 
Unsconciously , Harry stepped back while panting . "Why stopping ? ". He turned to the man." Do you change your mind now ?".He didn't answer. "Hmm..You human mostly feel afraid with death.". The man walked to the outer side of the door ." But actually you just afraid with life.".And then he shut the door abruptly.
 
"No ! No ! Open the door ! No please give me another chance ! I'm not dead ! Open the door !"
"Harry ! Harry ?"
"I'm not dead .."
"Harry ? Harry wake up !!"
"I'M NOT DEAD !!!"
 
Harry's eyes finally opened , he blinked a couple of times adjusting his vision. He can see his friend, Tony and the hearse guy. "You're alright Harry ? ". Tony asked looking so concerned with his friend. Harry sat up realizing many people stare at him weirdly ,like he used to have from others. He really hate attention , it made him feel nausea.
 
" You must be feel so relaxed kid. You're asleep..".The hearse guy chuckled.
"I ..I want to go home.". Harry immediately climb out from the coffin. He started to walk in fast ,didn't look back or glance at somewhere. He even leave Tony behind.
" Harry wait !"
"Well..anyone else want to try ?"
 
~~
"Good night Harry..". Tony sighed as the door loudly shut . He feels so concerned about his friend. He looks even weirder than before. He really care for him ,he just the only friend he got.
 
 
" Ahhhhhhhhhhhh ! Harry !!!".The morning at a quiet neighbourhood were become nightmare. When Harry's mother , finding her son drowned in the bathtub with blood. He's dead.
 
~~
 
Jessica yawned opening her eyes slowly . So comfortable, she complimented the mattress beneath her human body. It's really different from the one she've been occupied at Yoona's home. It reminded her of the one in Tiffany's."What ?!".She sat up abruptly . Yes of course it reminded her with Tiffany's because she's in there now. Wait a minute , How come she could be in here. All she remember , she got wet with the water by a damn careless driver, sulking , Tiffany wrapped her with her coat , they have a deep sentimental conversation and then ..maybe she fell asleep all of sudden,like usual, and then maybe ..Tiffany brought her here.
 
"Arghhh..". Jessica groaned and blushed in ashamed. How could she let Tiffany see her vulnerable side. She will about it absolutely. Jessica vowed to her ownself that she wouldn't let other people to see her other side but why with Tiffany she couldn't control it. Why with Tiffany ?
 
Speaking of the eye-smile devil, Where could she be now ? It's Saturday..she's not going to school right ?. Jessica climbed out from the bed slowly trying to not make any sounds up. Like she's afraid to awoken a beast who capturing her. Tip-toeing on the stairs , she scanned the room carefully. No sign of Tiffany, where the girl might be ?.
 
Jessica's ears caught the noise coming from the kitchen, she headed there still without making audible tone on her feet. Just like cat , walking soundlessly and then you just know they're there behind you. Jessica peeked onto the kitchen , the familiar figure who's backfacing her is really is Tiffany. Busy stirring something on the pan.
 
" Did she cook again ?".Jessica murmured remembering the last time she has cook food for her cat-form self. It was horrible , Jessica shuddered. She doesn't want to lose her remaining souls twice by it.
 
Jessica's expression then change into soft , when Tiffany sing while still doing her cook. The cat woman chuckled , Tiffany have a really good voice, She thought. And why now she just realize how good looking the eye-smile girl is. Her body , her hair ,her fair skin. It was gleaming with the sunlight.
 
What was she thinking ?! . Jessica snapped the thoughts out. No , she doesn't have a time for something like that. She have to focus of finding her cure and become a normal human again.
 
"You're awake ?". Jessica back from her reverie upon hearing Tiffany's voice directed to her." How long you've been stay there ?". Oh gosh , Tiffany caught Jessica cat (red) -handed. 
 
Quite long till made Jessica complimented all aspects of Tiffany's being. "Just arrive..". Of course Jessica still have to act cynical.
 
" Well , What a purrrfect timing. You came when i cook food for lunch !".Tiffany informed cheerfully.
"Hey i know that cheesy cat pun !". Tiffany just shrug by the protest. " But seriously it's lunch time already ?.".Jessica eyed the clock and it really is. Wow she really lose the count of times when she sleep.
 
"You sleep like a corpse in a hearse !". Tiffany pointed the spatula at Jessica ." I couldn't make you awake or even stir. I know that it's..".She smirked."Caturday..but doesn't mean you couldn't do something productive or ...proCATstinating..kekeke "
 
Jessica bit inside of her cheek in anxious."Tiffany , If you throw another cat joke. I will scratch your face !"
 
"Oh really ?". Tiffany's smirk even wider." Clawsome ! That's a good mews !"
"Tiffanyyyyyy..". Jessica gritted her teeth.
" Ooohhh ..Jessi grew horn. Is she a Mewficent now ?"
 
"That's it ! You'll die !". Jessica ran to catch Tiffany but the latter move quickly to dodge the attack . Tiffany giggled when Jessica hissed in annoy unable to got her. They ran around the house throwing stuffs at each other while giggling. Both of them realize how childish their acts yet they seem to enjoy it. It's been so long since they feel so carefree as right now. " Come here you Hwang !"
 
Tiffany stick her tongue out."You can't catch me Jung !". They remained their acts for another minutes until Tiffany smell something burn on the kitchen . "My cook !". She ran in fast to catch her food but it's all to late. It was all black already. " ! !".She turn off the stove while trying to cover her eyes from the smoke that coming. Jessica eyed her silently and internally giggled. Though it's must be bad to think this but, she feels glad that she wouldn't eat Tiffany's cook again. She wouldn't lose one of her souls. "This is all because of you !". Tiffany blamed Jessica harshly.
 
" Me ?! Why me ?! You're the one who started it by throwing some corny cat puns !"
"Arghhh..". Tiffany groaned feeling so frustrated. " That's it ! No lunch for today !".She threw the pan aside. Jessica shrugged feeling no trouble at all but then....
 
*Growlllllll*
 
The two of them stare at each other while blushing. "That's yours !". Tiffany accused.
Jessica waved her hand." No,No. That was your stomach !".Then the growl came even louder . That's their stomach.
"I'll call chinese !". Tiffany suggested running for the phone.
 
Still awkward Jessica stuttered." Ye-yeah...Good...That's, purrfect..".After waiting while starving for the food to come , finally the food come. The two girls sighed in relief , Tiffany decided to be the one who pick it by the door. "Hi !". She greeted her saviour cheerfully. She have acquaintance with the deliverer girl. You can guess , most of the time being alone in the home with no ability to cook, Tiffany often ordering the food, one of it it's the chinese restaurant that this girl worked.
 
" Hello..Here's your food !".The girl said in friendly tone . Tiffany doesn't know if she's being fake or real. Well ,this girl doing a good job though, and this girl look younger than her , a good looking one too. Though she's coming from a chinese restaurant but Tiffany surr she's a well-bred South Korean with a little bit of American trait.
 
Jessica's ears perked when she seemed to hear a familiar voice."Impossible..".She murmured silently walking to the front door to peek who this familiar voice belong to , eventhough she has already have a name in mind. "It's her..". She stare discreetly at the girl in disbelief. The figure she has missed so badly but couldn't meet because her 'circumstance'.
 
Feeling someone else beside Tiffany watching her, the girl move her attention but then no one else inside and it will be so rude to check in so suddenly . " Here's your money..and the tip.".She smiled goofily at her.
 
"Thankyou..". The girl received." Enjoy the food !".She then turn around excusing her self . Tiffany closed the door then almost drop the food when the cat woman suddenly ran to the window . "Jessica !". She's about tu burst but hushed when Jessica look serious yet there's a sadness too on her expression when she peeked her eyes to the window.
 
Jessica can see the girl retreating from the yard, if only she cannot control her self she will immediately ran to the girl , hug her then kiss her. Missing someone yet they're in front of you but you couldn't express it is so frustrating. Jessica gasped when the girl turn around then immediately move from the window. Through this blurry glass , Jessica can see the girl turning around again then really gone from her sight. 
 
Oh please don't go ! , Jessica thought while trying her best not to cry.
 
" You know Krystal ?".Tiffany asked after awhile.
Jessica sighed then look at her in the eyes."She's my sister.."
 
~~
 
New day , new adventure , new ghost story. That were what occupied Yoona's mind when she awoke this morning. With a smile on her lips she couldn't wait for this day to happen soon. Since she found her mother's diary , many things has drastically happened to her life. Exciting yet frightening one, friends she have make and the best part is ..romance.
 
Yoona giggled as Yuri's figure on her mind, she couldn't get rid of the moments where they're confessing their feelings to each other and it brought them to the relationship as in dating right now.
 
"It's been so long since i didn't talk to you..". Yoona eyed the brown bear doll on her bed then pick it up." You know Kkuma..I'm happy with my life right now.".She began while smiling."Many things has happened , many things has changed..but in a good way. I have an adventure , i have people to share..and.."She blushed."I have love to give. It's all perfect !".But then the excitement on her face faded replace by worry."But i couldn't too satisfied with it, could i ? . Life ..has so many faces. It could change anytime. It could give you smile , it could give you tears or just...nothing.".She sighed."But i will face whatever come in my way and i'm confidence enough that i have the spirit of my father and...the compassion of my mother.".She kissed the doll then headed for the door."Bye Kkuma !"
 
~~
 
What could make Yoona's day even better ? Of course , the presence of someone dear for her and waiting for her at the school gate. "Hi good morning ..". She couldn't held her self from smiling and by the heat on her cheeks , Yoona must be blushing.
 
" Good morning beautiful ..".Yuri greeted back couldn't hold her happiness. It was show on her face but then she remember something wrong she has done."Yoona i'm sorry i couldn't pick you up this morning. Flat tires..".She pursed her lower lip which make Yoona giggled.
 
"Don't be silly..". Yoona pushed Yuri's lip back." It's ok. I understand."
"Ow how lucky i am to have such an understanding girlfriend !".
 
They started to walk towards the school." Come on it was just a ride, not like you're canceling a date or something.."
"Hmm ?". Yuri took Yoona's hand to hers." Date ? Do you want another date ?".She grinned widely.
 
Yoona cursed her self internally , why she could blurt it out . Actually the idea of having a date with Yuri have been occupied her mind since the previous one was a complete disaster. "If you want..". Said Yuri." We can arrange it again. I have this one place i want us to visit..So ?"
 
"Hmm well..". Yoona nodded." Of course , I'd love to !". She then gasped when Yuri about to hug her.
"Oh sorry hehe i forgot ..". Yuri canceled her action."No PDA at school.."
"No PDA at school..". Yoona said apologetically." But we can hold hand .".She took Yuri's hand and feel the warm on it squeezing lightly.
"I have to thanks life to have brought you to me Yoona.."
"And i have to thanks you , for bringing life to me Yuri.."
 
They remained staring at each other with loving eyes for awhile. Silently thanking and feeling grateful for the presence of another in their lives. Before suddenly their friends interrupted them by mimicking the wedding music.
 
Dum..Dum..dumdum..Dum..dum..dumdum.
 
Sunny cleared ."You have declared your consent before the Church. May the Lord in his goodness strengthen your consent and fill you both with his blessings. What God has joined, men must not divide. Amen.".She pretended to be the priest like in wedding ceremony which make the other girls laughed.
 
"Ha ! Ha ! So funny..". Yuri said sarcastically . Why they always come when they're not expected, she thought.
" Are you mad because we disturbed your little intimate time hmm ? Newly wed couple ?".Taeyeon nudge her tanned friend playfully.
"Ow shut up Tae !"
"Baby..". Sunny pulled her girlfriend to her side."I think they still shy , let's leave them alone..". Her expression was like a mommy who just saw her baby crawl.
 
" Aw man..".Sooyoung sighed turning all the attention to her."Everyone have a couple..but i'm not.".She pouted regretting her single life.
"Poor Sooyoung..". Sunny pitied her." Why don't you have a move in Hyoyeon ehh ?"
Sooyoung sighed."She's not my type.."
Yuri rolled her eyes."Everyone not your type ! At least if they have chocolate topping ,lettuce or cherry on their heads. You would definitely marry them and eat them !"
"You read my mind Yuri kekeke..". As all of them decided to go to class. Yuri's phone vibrated , she stopped , holding Yoona too on the place. Yuri's expression changed into surprise and sad after reading the text.
 
" What happened ?".Yoona asked feeling worry at her girlfriend.
"My cousin..He passed away ..". Yuri still said it in disbelief tone.
" Really ? I'm so sorry.."
"I have to go to his funeral after school.."
"Can i come ?"
 
Yuri rubbed Yoona's cheeks softly."Okay, I'll pick you up."
 
At far someone with jealousy stare watching the new couple sternly. Victoria , she looks so anxious and surprised that it turn out Yoona has brave enough to ignore her warn."Well, Are not you going to do something about them ?".Dara asked beside her.
 
"Are you kidding ? Of course i will !". Victoria snapped." I'm not going to just stand like this ans watch them be happily ever after !"
"But Vic..". Suzy hesitated." I think it's useless to separate them you know. They obviously like each other and,-"
"Oh Do we have a traitor right now ?". Victoria said sarcastically then pretend to sniffs." Because i smell one from your side !"
"Not that i'm a traitor Vic but ,-". Victoria eyed her hardly which make her coward." Arghh alright. I stop talking now !".Whatever Suzy said , surely Victoria wont hear it.
 
The Song rolled her eyes, then goes back to the couple."I cannot wait to rip out that smile from your lips Im Yoona ."
 
 
To be continued