Junmyeon - Introductions

Holiday Romance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

//Junmyeon//

I stare at my phone, my eyes practically boring holes into the surface. 
I've been staring at the damned thing for the past half an hour, debating about whether to pick it up or not. However, seeing as my flight leaves today, I've got to pick it up sooner or later.
Come on, Junmyeon. It's only your brother, after all.
Yes.
It's only Minseok.
But it's Minseok who stormed out, who called me out on how pathetic I am. And for some reason, he now makes me strangely nervous. 
Sighing, I grab the phone forcefully, and dial Minseok's number. I've familiarised myself with it from the amount of times I've stared at it longingly, wanting to ring and know if he's okay, but never actually doing it. He's with his boyfriend anyway, he must be doing okay. Not like he'd ring me if he wasn't alright, but that's not the point.
I know I wasn't exactly kind to my little brother, and now I regret it. Maybe he wouldn't have had to leave if we'd been closer, if I'd known. 
The dialling sound echoes in my ear, loud and harsh and threatening. I pace backwards and forwards in my small bedroom, my fingers tapping frantically against my arm. 
Pick up, pick up, please.
Minseok picks up just as I'm about to hang up. "Hello? Who's this?" he says, and
he sounds breathless and giggly. I can hear his boyfriends voice in the background, and the phone must have moved away from Minseok because I can hear a murmur that sounds like "Jongdae, stop that, oh my god." and then something that sounds like a kiss. 
I cringe.
"Anyway, hello?" Minseok returns to the phone, his voice suddenly loud and breathy in my ear.
"Minseok." I sigh. It's just good to hear his voice after so long of no contact. 
I hear the rustle of a duvet and Jongdae's high pitched exclamation of "ouch, Minnie!". 
"Junmyeon?" Minseok asks, as if he's unsure it's his own brother calling. My eyes shut slowly, and I exhale. I'm not surprised, to be honest. 
"You sound surprised." I murmur.
Minseok clicks his tongue. "I have every reason to be. I haven't heard from any of you guys in ages." he says, and to be honest, it doesn't sound like he's sad about it either. 
"I know," I sigh, walking over to the window and looking out. The morning sun is almost blinding, but I know it's almost night time for Minseok in England. Watching birds move around in the tree opposite, I realise I've never found a bird's chirping so irritating before today. "I know. And I'm sorry, Minseok, I'm really sorry for what happened. I wish you'd never had to leave." I confess, biting my lip nervously. 
Minseok snorts. "Yeah, well I wish I'd left sooner. I like it much better here than at your house." he snaps.
My heart crumbles - it's not home anymore, it's simply my house.
"Anyway, why did you ring?" Minseok asks, his voice cold. I shiver, and slam the curtains shut in annoyance. 
"I'm coming to England. I want to see you." I reply, blunt and straight to the point. 
Minseok laughs, but the sound is unfamiliar to my ear. I can hear Jongdae in the background again, yet this time I can't make out what he's saying. "That's nice," Minseok hums. "What if I don't want to see you?" 
I falter. "Um. I - oh Minseok, come on. Can't we just put what happened behind us? I didn't even do anything! It was Dad who kicked you out! Not me! Why are you taking it out on me?" I exclaim.
Minseok groans. "Because you're still ing there! And you're gay too! How can you stand it after what he did to me?" 
I cough, shuffling my feet. "Actually... I live with Yixing now." I mutter.
"What? Yixing?!" 
"Yes." I confirm. Minseok makes a spluttering noise.
"Why Yixing?" 
"He was really quite upset about you leaving, you know. He came to me, and we became quite close."
Minseok growls.
"Not as close as you and him, obviously, but he asked if I wanted to move in with him. So I said yes. I needed to get out of that house." I tell my brother, knowing how weird it must sound to him. Of course, Yixing and I were never really close even when he used to spend almost days at our house with Minseok - but things have changed. Yixing is very easy to be comfortable around. 
Minseok is silent. 
"He really misses you." I say softly.
"I -" Minseok hesitates. "Tell him I miss him too. I'll message you our address. There's a hotel around the corner you can stay in." he says quietly. I nod.
We say our goodbyes respectively and I end the call, flopping back on my bed. Suddenly, I'm kind of tired, and this bed has never felt so inviting, but my flight leaves today and I can't afford to be late. 
Minseok's message pings through, the loud tone making me jump. 
Yixing sticks his head around my door, smiling at me sadly. "You're going now?"
I nod. "Yeah. I don't want to miss my flight." I say, grabbing my suitcase and walking towards him. He opens the door for me, and I waddle into the hall, managing not to bang the suitcase into the doorframe as I go. 
"I wish I was coming too." Yixing murmurs. I rub his arm comfortingly, and squeeze it gently.
"I wish you were coming too. I know how much you miss him." 
Yixing seems to hesitate a second, before telling me to wait a second and running off into his room to get something. He returns quickly, but with a small package in his hand. As soon as he gives it to me I know it's a CD, and a letter is stuck to the top. It's addressed to My Minseok, and immediately I have a hunch what the letter says. 
"Will you give these to Minseok?" Yixing asks, biting his lip hopefully.
I nod, smiling. "Of course I will." 
He watches me silently as I throw on my coat, and just as I'm about to open the front door, I feel a pair of arms wrapping themselves around me. 
"Oh, Xing," I laugh, twisting round in his arms and hugging him back. I've learnt recently that Yixing is the emotional, affectionate type - he always likes to put his hands on your arm or your back. Some people might be uncomfortable with that, but I find it endearing. "I'll be back in a few days, I promise. I'm not staying long, I doubt they'll want me to intrude." 
I feel Yixing nod against my shoulder.
"Come on, I've got to go." I pat his back and he removed himself unwillingly. He looks the very definition of melancholy: I'm sure it's because he can't come and see his best friend more than it's because I'm leaving. 
"Tell him I'll come and visit as soon as I can, okay?" Yixing instructs me.
I nod. "Sure. Bye, Xing." 
With a wave and a last smile, I step out and the door shuts behind me with a gentle click.

I'm exhausted. Its two days after I arrived in England, but I was so tired from the flight and messed up from the time difference that I just slept the whole of the first day. I'm still absolutely knackered, but I can't not see Minseok today, I'm too jumpy. I saw his house on my way to the hotel, and it certainly looks nice. Not as grand as our house in America, but it certainly seems more... homely. 
My first impression of England wasn't great to be honest - it was raining heavily, despite it being summer, and the trains were a nightmare, but maybe that's just down to me not knowing how to navigate them. I don't really see the appeal of England, but I suppose if this is where Minseok is happiest, who am I to judge?
I make my way to Minseok's house, fiddling nervously with the straps on my bag the whole way there. Twice I trip over my own feet because my mind is preoccupied - what do I say to Minseok? What if his boyfriend doesn't like me? 
I shake my head as I come to the gate at the end of Minseok's path. 
Shut up, Junmyeon, it'll be fine.
I repeat that sentence in my head all the way up the path, and with a shaking finger I press the doorbell.
Inhale.
Exhale.
I can hear laughter getting slowly closer to the door and I take a step backwards from it. The wooden door is opened quickly, and I'm met straight away with Minseok and Jongdae's smiling faces. Jongdae has his arms round Minseok's waist from behind, and his chin rests on Minseok's shoulder. As Minseok holds onto Jongdae's hands, I try to remember the last time he looked this happy at home. Much to my dismay, I can't remember any time at all.
Minseok's joyful grin falters momentarily as he catches sight of me stood on the doorstep, and I certainly catch a glimpse of Jongdae frowning - or maybe it it's glaring - at me. "Ah. Hello, Junmyeon." Minseok greets me. 
"Hello, Minseok," I say, slightly uncomfortable from the formality of it all. "And this must be Jongdae. Hello. It's so nice to finally meet you." I reach to shake Jongdae's hand, but he simply nods and stands up, leaving me holding out my hand in front of. I retract it, laughing to myself awkwardly. Kissing Minseok's cheek, Jongdae murmurs something about making coffee and retreats into the house. 
Minseok bares a smile at me. "I suppose you'd best come in then, brother." 
I kick my shoes off by the door, and follow Minseok into a spacious living room area. The house is silent, but not uncomfortably so - it seems just right, a comfortable peacefulness. The ticking of the clock on the wall is all I can hear. 
"Is it just you two living here?" I ask, noticing the only other thing I can hear is the clanking of spoons coming from the kitchen. 
"No," Minseok replies shortly. "This is Jongdae's parents house. They are just away at the moment." 
I perch gingerly on the edge of one of the sofas. Minseok sits opposite me quietly, and the once calm silence is now heavy on my shoulders, as he looks everywhere except at me. 
"So how have you been?" I ask conversationally, because it seems that my brother won't talk unless I start.
"I've been fine," he replies abruptly. "Better than what I was doing back in America." 
"Oh." I don't really know what else to say. Instead, I have no choice but to let the silence brew around us and suffer under the weight of it. I choose to look at the pictures on the wall, many of which are with Minseok. It's like he was always part of their family. It brings back memories of the day that Minseok left, when Dad tore down all of the photos with Minseok in and threw them in the bin. He was really angry. They're memories that I'd rather not dig up from where I buried them. That was honestly the worst night of my life. I remember walking out after Minseok, to make sure he was okay, but as soon as he disa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter