Portugal - Beach Troubles

Holiday Romance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I am aware this chapter may be a little dramatic, and maybe unrealistic, but yeah... fanFICTION, not fanFACT, okay... XD

Here's 4.5k of writing for you guys hehehe so much omg

//Minseok//

After the events of yesterday, I made sure to carefully check that Jongdae and I aren't wearing the same - or similar - clothes, because it's just plain embarrassing to have your whole outfit matching. Couple tshirts, or jackets, or even shoes, I get, but whole outfits? Isn't that taking it a bit far? Just a little bit? 
Hence why I no longer let Jongdae anywhere near my suitcase, no matter how much he pouts at me. I won't sway to his aeygo, I swear I won't.
I let him choose my clothes today, but I made him promise to not make them match his. And, when, I got out the shower, they definitely looked like something I'd pick myself. 
Jongdae smiles proudly as I accept the pile of clothes he hands me as if it's a Christmas present he made himself. We're going to the beach today. I'm hoping it'll go better than the last trip to the beach went, because I don't want to feel like I'm almost dying again. That is certainly something I want to avoid. 
Thinking about it, I should probably take swimming lessons again or something to get over my fear, because swimming is an essential life skill, however it's really not that simple. I have to actually be able to comfortably submerge my head underwater first. 
Jongdae did give me that one swimming lesson, remember? I certainly do. It's stuck in my brain ever since it happened. I can't get it out no matter how much I bang my head against a wall.
"Minseok! Hurry up! Jongdae's family are leaving now!" Mom calls into my room as she walks past with some beach essentials like an umbrella and a picnic hamper. I grab my sunglasses and almost skip out of my room and down the corridor after remembering to lock the door.
The group is congregated in the lobby and once I join them we set off on the short walk that it is to get to the beach. Jongdae wanders ahead, swinging his arms around, almost throwing the case he's holding across the road in the process. I laugh at him, eyes scrunching up as my mouth stretches into the widest smile I can possibly muster. 
Because that's how Jongdae seems to make me feel. 
Impossibly happy.
Soon enough we are at the beach. It takes us almost half an hour to find the perfect spot to lay down our towels and general beach crap, but eventually we've set up the five or so umbrellas and laid everything out. I flush as crowds of people turn their heads to see our pitch and stare at our elaborate layout open mouthed. 
Jongdae laughs as he catches the eye of one group of teenage girls and waves at them excitedly.
My fist clenches unknowingly and my mouth sets in a line. I wouldn't - shouldn't - be bothered, yet I just want to snatch his hand down and glare at them. I am glaring at the girls, just they don't know it. I'm surprised they can't feel my spicy stare burn into their souls. 
And it's that they're pretty girls, too. If Jongdae wasn't hella gay then this is he point where I'd probably start fretting that he'd fall for one of them, even though they look too dumb to speak enough English and Jongdae has no hope in hell in learning Portuguese right now. 
But, thankfully, Jongdae focuses his attention back to me soon enough. It's probably just as well, or my nails would dig a dent all the way through my hand. He comes up to me, smiling and laughing. I don't know what at - he just seems to be generally happy all the time. It's like a virus. He must have been infected by someone. 
"Minseokkie~" He calls. "Did you bring your inflatable ring thingy I bought you last year?" 
I nod and go to rummage in the bag for it in order to blow it up. 
It's funny to think that that was already like half a year ago. I could've sworn it was yesterday almost. The memories still seem to be crystal clear in my mind. Well - the ones with Jongdae in are, I can hardly remember anything without him in it. 
I find the spotty ring from last year at the bottom of the bag. I have to brush all the dry sand off it that's glued there from where it's been stuck there all year. 
I try to blow it up, but after a couple of minutes of Jongdae watching me cynically as I puff my cheeks out like a hamster in a vain effort to inflate the damn thing, he sighs and grabs it off me.
"Useless." He chuckles, bringing the cap to his lips to blow it up himself.
My cheeks heat up, because isn't that an indirect kiss?
Wait, where the hell did I learn about those?
That doesn't matter right now though because ugh he just indirectly kissed me and why am I getting excited - not in an aroused way - about it? His lips just touched the cap, it's not like I've never done that with Mom or something...
Actually, that's a thought I didn't want to have. 
Jongdae seems to be extra skilled in inflating things, as within five minutes the whole ring is blown up and ready to use.
I feel like many blowing innuendos could be made in this situation but I think I'll refrain from doing so.
"Here you go." Jongdae hands the ring back to me, smiling almost shyly which is very unlike him really. I take the ring from him, finding myself rather awkward with Jongdae's shyness. I've never seen this side of him before. I assumed he had one, obviously, yet I'm still surprised when it comes out. 
Slightly stunned, really. Who'd have thought the oh so confident Jongdae could act so abashed? It's adorable, though. It seems there's no side of Jongdae that doesn't appeal to me which is terrifying and exhilarating at the same time. I'm quite fascinated by all parts of him, so much so that discovering him seems to be an obsession of mine. I'm drowning myself in his uplifting moods. 
"Shall we go in the sea, then?" Jongdae smiles at me hopefully, and he offers his hand to me. 
His hand. He wants me to hold hands with him? 
I stare at it, at him, blankly, until his face falters slightly and his hand starts shaking. I wonder what thoughts are going through his mind right now. However, before Jongdae's thoughts can run too wild, I press my hand firmly into his and send a smile of confirmation his way.
I think this is it. Confirmation in more ways than one, really. Acceptance.
Jongdae grins suddenly and starts dragging me across the hot sand as he runs towards the sparkling sea. I laugh and stumble after him, my arm stretched out in front of me in order to keep our clammy hands together. Something I don't want to break if I can help it. 
We run all the way to the waters edge and suddenly stop, the water tickling my toes and making the sand stick to my warm skin. 
Jongdae almost overbalances at the force of stopping running suddenly, and grabs hold of me to keep himself upright. My eyes fly shut at the contact, being aware of his closeness in a totally different perspective than before. 
His fingertips are warm against my shoulder and are creating a tingling feeling under my skin that makes me shiver. What even is this, I think to myself. 
"Woah!" He shrieks as we make a combined effort to keep upright. 
"You okay?" I ask, stifling a laugh at Jongdae. 
He snorts. "Yeah, now I am, thanks." 
I can't work out whether he's being sarcastic or not but I'll take it.
"Are we going in now?" Jongdae asks. We did take our tshirts off before we came here (making the previous encounter way more emotionally testing than it would've been otherwise) so Jongdae starts walking into the water straight away. 
I grip my inflatable tightly. I'm nervous, I'll give you that. Jongdae wades out a few steps before turning to look back at me when he realises I'm not following him. 
"Come on," he beckons. "It's safe, you know. You have me and your ring, you'll be fine Minnie." 
He offers a hand to me, even though I can't reach it. 
Ever so slowly and shakily, I make my way towards Jongdae through the water. My eyes are locked on his face - not his eyes because I don't think I could ever hold that piercing gaze - and soon enough I'm close enough to him to grab hold of his wet hand. His fingers immediately enclose around mine, locking our hands together and bringing us together. I'm glad for that, because the water is above my waist and I'm really starting to feel nervous now, despite having this boy beside me to make me feel safe. 
"You okay?" Jongdae asks, looking concerned. I squeeze his hand in confirmation, too afraid to talk without screaming in some way. A wave rolls past us, and I whimper quietly as the water - which is warm, I might add - rises momentarily over my s. 
Jesus, that's close to my mouth. 
Jongdae steps closer to me and tilts my chin up to look at him. "You're safe, Minnie. I won't let anything happen to you, I promise, okay? Trust me." 
Something about the firmness of his voice and the bond I feel between us immediately makes me fall for his words and agree. Holding on tightly to my safety ring, I edge my way to face Jongdae, liking the way the sand swirls up around my feet as I walk around and stir it up. 
I look down and see the sand swirling up towards the surface in spirals and smile happily. I think this is the first time I've really seen it to appreciate it - the sun, the sea, the view (and I'm not just talking about Jongdae). 
"You wanna get on the ring now?" Jongdae asks. I nod nervously, not knowing how easy this would be and certainly knowing it wasn't going to be graceful.
I'm just calculating how to do it when Jongdae drops my hand and bends down to scoop me out of the water. Somehow, by a miracle, he manages to drop me into the ring smoothly and successfully.
"There we go," Jongdae smiles. "Better?" 
I nod, and this time I feel much more comfortable, especially as Jongdae has his a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter